Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 08-12-2018, 07:58 AM
She Whispers, Loneliness

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11214
Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis
Life Experiences you can turn into game plots

I'm heading out this morning on a little adventure. I paddle a specific river regularly and I've seen most of it's 88 miles. Today, I'm heading out on a section I haven't paddled yet. It's been a bit rainy the last few weeks so the water is up but not raging. There might be a little chop and some swift areas. And there's a dam to portage around.

So, while I'm out, I'll be thinking about how to turn this into skill challenges and where I could put encounters. Any body else do this type of thing?
Old 08-13-2018, 07:18 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7428
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
I've definitely been inspired to create settings based on places I have visited (there's a separate and fairly recent thread on this subject), but in terms of actual plots based on my life experiences? My life is not that cool.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:48 AM
Who shall we kill today?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3771
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
I haven't really thought about this concept before now. I've noticed the reverse, though! For instance, I've never been sailing, but there's a full chapter in The Savage Tide where characters are sailing around in a giant ocean. I constantly felt under-prepared for that kind of posting, since I couldn't accurately describe the feeling.

I've done a fair amount of hiking, which can help with some post descriptions here and there. But turning every hiking journey into a challenge wouldn't really make for a great game.

I have climbed a 50-foot goatskin rope to get up into the Monastery at Debre Damo. As far as adventuring challenges, that was pretty much the end of the excitement. (Unless I had drunk the holy water, in which case disease and dehydration rules would have come into play!)