Game Thread Chapter Five: Everything Changes - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 3.5e > Homebrew: S-V > Seis'kerta > Trials of the Young King
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 04:02 PM
Makenshi's Avatar
Makenshi Makenshi is offline
Weaver of Worlds
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2021
RPXP: 3967
Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi
Posts: 8,984
"I assume you in fact mean my Ashtartefather rather than my Lolthmother? I'm a perfect Drow by many definitions after all: the product of two women. Anyway, in answer to your question: the Zodiacs arrived after Ashtarte imprisoned the Old Ones, followed shortly by the Wolf Brothers, although I couldn't tell you when exactly."

Didina wrinkles her nose at Morgan's idea of some 'otherwordly' being or creature being behind what was happening. "What's the philosopher's phrase? 'When you hear hoofbeats think horses rather than satyrs.'. We've enough on our plate without thinking of some kind of unknown otherworldly threat coming from Gods know where when it could easily be bad timing or the machinations of one crazy god or another."

Once that matter was dealt with Didina would speak up again. "In other news, Illuna, my contact in Inanna's clergy, arrived late last night." She glances towards Vulcar. "She would have arrived earlier that day if not for trouble at the designated teleportation site she arrived at. Alienating a neutral party isn't advised when they could be useful in a potential war. In the end if it wasn't for Captain Tahl Serenus speaking on her behalf she might have even been arrested."

Vulcar looks amused more than annoyed at Didina's almost lecturing tone, even going so far as to raise an eyebrow. "And how exactly was Captain Serenus in the position to speak on her behalf? I was under the impression she followed the TahllysSwordwind, not the InannaFickle Fiend."

Didina sniffs. "This is not Illuna's first time here. Back when the good Captain had first taken over in the slums she was trying to crack down on brothel and prostitute-related crime. At first she tried the typical methods but when that bore little fruit she quietly approached a Cleric of Inanna she knew to see if they could help. To cut a longer story short, Illuna paid a visit to give some advice to the Captain and the brothels about the matter." She gives a slightly self-satisfied smirk. "Say what you want about Sharak and Ikra's lax laws when it comes to Fiendish deities but very few people are stupid enough to cause trouble in or around brothels there with Inanna's clergy keeping an eye on things. We may prefer not to involve ourselves in conflict but that doesn't mean we don't have our own ways to sort out trouble makers and make them think twice before causing trouble."

Before Vulcar can respond she continues. "But enough about that. I mentioned it because if any of you have any questions for her or want to speak to her yourself now would be the time to discuss it. She's always wary about staying here for too long and that's when the Shroud isn't up and people ask questions."

~MTWC
__________________
DMing...: Trials of the Young King [3.5, Full] | Working on...: The Godling Sagas [PF, Gestalt, TotYK Sequel]
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 04:51 PM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Custom Titled
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 15th, 2023
RPXP: 2124
Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue
Posts: 2,984
Nevh nodded in response to Zilira's answer, then smirked at Didina's comment.
"Sounds about right. If there was any new outside presence it would be pretty subtle and maybe a little too informed - unless its been around for a while. I would think Fenrir and Fisali aware of its arrival, and Jester too consequently. But yeah... the Zodiacs weren't able to come here until the Elders were gone. Not sure if the presence of all the hybrids would seal Aheka off again, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had the power to form a massive planar Shroud of some kind."

The tale of Illuna's arrival didn't really interest her. She didn't really want to meet her, for many reasons.
"Maybe she got better news on what's going on in Sharak now that the king is dead. Sounds kind of important to know. It'd suck if Deimos made a move on Halva in conjunction with Zera in the following days. Or hours."

Last edited by Blue; Dec 23rd, 2012 at 04:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Makenshi's Avatar
Makenshi Makenshi is offline
Weaver of Worlds
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2021
RPXP: 3967
Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi
Posts: 8,984
They had a few hours after the end of their morning meeting before the meeting of the The Halvan High Council plus foreign representatives (i.e. ambassadors, Archgates, etc.) and some other religious leaders (such as the head of the Church of Airis and Salorne in Halvanna)Greater Council in the afternoon the same day.

The meeting was being held in the grand hall of the Royal Palace, the same place where they had held the engagement celebrations, however instead of many small tables spread about the room there was a large circular ring of tables with uniform chairs spread about for seating. By the looks of it Vulcar did not even intend to sit in a larger or more ornate chair than anyone else.

Captains Venturo and Perregrine were among the first people in the hall, casting wary looks at a strangely dressed man who was leaning back in one of the chairs. He had a large, wide-brimmed dark brown hat placed on his face and was wearing a bedraggled looking and equally dark long coat. Underneath the coat though were fine silken garments that wouldn't look out of place on a well-to-do merchant at some kind of celebration but looked patently odd at such a high-brow event. As if that wasn't enough the man also had a sheathed sword at his side - something that no one was supposed to bring to such a meeting - yet it only earned frowns from the two Captains and puzzled looks from others.

The various councillors, ambassadors and representatives trickled in over an hour or so, with Vulcar and Celes not expected until everyone had arrived. There was no formal introductions for the arrivals as with the celebration although most were mingling with the other representatives rather than sitting down straight away.
OOCJust setting the scene and trying to get things moving. Feel free to arrive early and keep an eye out for particular people and/or talking with one of the three people there at the start or otherwise just saying a basic 'arrives early/late and waits for the meeting to start' sort of thing.

~MTWC
__________________
DMing...: Trials of the Young King [3.5, Full] | Working on...: The Godling Sagas [PF, Gestalt, TotYK Sequel]
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 03:46 AM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Custom Titled
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 15th, 2023
RPXP: 2124
Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue
Posts: 2,984
Nevh arrived fairly early in her usual formal attire. She made no effort to leave the impression that she was there for any other other reason than a show of attendance. She didn't talk to anyone but her guest on her way in, and had no intention of speaking to anyone else unless directly spoken to.
She walked steadily, looking for a seat reserved for her country's representatives. If there were none she would settle for a random table.

In her company was a woman that seemed to be in her early twenties. She wore more regal robes but would likely mostly be noticed for her green hair and eyes. Her haori displayed the same golden pattern Nevh's mother had worn during the Grand Gathering and a tiny golden arrow pinned in its front like a brooch. She stayed behind Nevh, following her with a presence more befitting one of noble blood.
She did not smile, but looked at everyone and everything in the room with unveiled fascination.



The two Quallish women spoke quietly in druidic, with Nevh occasionally pointing at people as they entered the room and the younger one nodding in answer.
They expected the Rinnish representative and his guest to show up very soon, and Nevh's own guest would stand up to greet them when they would. Nevh, for her part, was mostly anxious to see Aldamil and the Allyyryk brothers arrive, but had no intentions to greet them or anything.
She was waiting for the meeting to begin.

Last edited by Blue; Aug 23rd, 2013 at 12:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 10:39 PM
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom is online now
Pretty cool Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 9th, 2023
RPXP: 14803
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Posts: 10,735
With no major social expectations and no advantage to be gained by dressing up Morgan arrives in his more accustomed attire. Besides he'd been far too busy lately to worry about something trifling like getting an outfit together. Simple black pants, white shirt, long hooded cloak, and black vest embroidered with stylized multicolored dragons. If not for the pouches of reagents at his waist and geared metal staff in his hands he might be any other man on the street. He arrives closely behind Nevh, accompanied by Mortimer the cat.

Morgan takes a moment to scan the mostly empty room, noting the few people within and their dispensation. Who all did he need to talk to tonight? Jester obviously. Didina's friend, Esiard, Aldamil if she shows, Misae Wiat. Who else? He can't shake the feeling he's forgetting someone. Maybe Vice? He offers the two officers a casual off hand salute. To Nevh and her young companion an easy smile and a quick nod.

With nothing else to occupy his time and nobody else around this early Morgan wanders over to seat himself beside the floppy hatted stranger. ”Afternoon.”
__________________
Thanks to all the great great GM's. Especially: Makenshi, Birched, Savoylen, Davion, and Homestarbaby.

Last edited by SpatulaOdoom; Jul 23rd, 2013 at 01:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 03:11 AM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Custom Titled
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 15th, 2023
RPXP: 2124
Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue
Posts: 2,984
Nevh nodded back with a stern expression while her guest answered with a gentle bow executed from her sitting position.
She quickly whispered questions at Nevh, motion giving the impression that she is about to stand before being abruptly stopped as her elder puts her hand on hers, forbidding. She complies, turns to glance at him once more with the promise of a smile on her lips that wouldn't be fulfilled, then turns her attention elsewhere.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 06:26 AM
Makenshi's Avatar
Makenshi Makenshi is offline
Weaver of Worlds
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2021
RPXP: 3967
Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi
Posts: 8,984
The hat-wearing stranger plucked the hat from his face and plopped it onto the top of his head. All at once, the strangeness made sense as the man wearing the hat was none other than Bane. Obviously he had been on a bit of a spending spree. Bane gave Morgan a toothy grin. "Afternoon Morgan." He was speaking in quite heavily accented Halvan rather than Elven. It would be obvious to anyone speaking to him that he wasn't a native. "What do you think?" He gestures to his clothing. "The young woman working at the clothing place was very helpful." He frowns slightly. "Although she didn't like the hat for some reason." He frowns slightly at that, obviously in disappointment.

As the two of them talk more people arrive, though the only people of note for either of them were Maulkic Loaw and Ajikis Kornari, the the Kinship of RinnEabal representatives. Maulkic, also known as Hunts Alone, was a dark haired middle-aged Rinnish man with a stubbly beard while Ajikis was a young Amber Dragon, meaning he looked to still be in his 20's. Of the two, it was the Dragon who seemed more at ease talking and chatting with people as they walked by, while Maulkic headed straight towards Nevh and her sister.

The Beast Warden gives them a polite nod before sitting down. "Ambassador Nevh. Mrith. It is good to see familiar faces here."

Ajikis gives them a much warmer smile before sitting down. "I hear that Mirik Orn will be arriving at some point. It's been a long time that three Dragons have involved themselves in such a meeting. All we need now is for Scion himself to show his face." He chuckles slightly at the ridiculousness of the reclusive Dragon showing up.

~MTWC
__________________
DMing...: Trials of the Young King [3.5, Full] | Working on...: The Godling Sagas [PF, Gestalt, TotYK Sequel]
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 01:39 PM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Custom Titled
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 15th, 2023
RPXP: 2124
Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue
Posts: 2,984
Nevh remained sit while the other stood, this time unrestrained, to welcome them with a reserved wave of the hand and a few steps to close the distance.
She had their rears in front of her for hours on their way to Halvanna so she supposed seeing their face was a nice change. Not that she minded looking up some tails.
"You make it sound like we haven't seen eachother for ages."

Nevh had never bothered to learn draconic despite the nature of the more influential members of her House.
She had been way to busy elsewhere during the great transition and her failsafe had always been a good enough substitute so actually learning it herself felt unnecessary despite Mel and Mrith's willingness to teach.
More than that, she had never really been a big fan of Mel's ambitions as far as dragonkind was concerned.
The Matriarch had her loyalty, she could at least endure her disagreement.

She wished she felt the same refreshment upon seeing them. Nevh had no shortage of familiar faces and her mind far removed from joyful thoughts.
"Maulkic, Ajikis. It has been ages."

But honestly their proximity bothered her a little. Mel had refused to accompany her this time in favor of giving Mrith a taste of the larger picture. She probably wanted her to help groom her into a successor and for that, she appreciated the personal space to instruct her without attracting unneeded attention.

Mrith went back to her seat, the mention of Mirik Orn bringing a tone of excitement to her voice.
"Ah~ I was hoping he'd come. Say... wait..."
She looked at the amber dragon slyly. As far as she knew this meeting didn't really concern her and hers. Hearing now that it just might was a little disconcerting. She threw a short glance at Nevh from the side.
"What do you mean, 'involved'? I was led to believe we were just there to watch?"
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 02:42 PM
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom is online now
Pretty cool Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 9th, 2023
RPXP: 14803
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Posts: 10,735
Morgan chuckles.
"She can't appreciate a big floppy hat? Why they're practical and stylish. Obviously a philistine and not worth being concerned over." Just the thing for keeping the sun out of the eyes and to keep a hard rain from trickling down the neck. toss in a big white feather and a peak at the front and you had your rogueish style as well.

"I'm glad that I got a chance to speak to you before things started to get crowded." Morgan's gaze becomes serious and focused. His voice lowers in probably vain effort of keeping them from being overheard. "I'm annoyed with you and your father. I twice requested to be informed when your people were going to make their move so that I could arrange an attempt to remedy a certain 'I like the word play on this one so I'm gonna call it an elvish phrase. Latin is the elf language right? Sure.habeas corpus' situation." Specifically the corpus of the late prince Xander Alexin. Morgan had had a plan in place for that, one that he'd modified after confirming exactly who the Children in the Dark were. If the Children had made a gesture of recovering and returning the remains of the dead Shalian it would have gone a long way to introducing them to the rest of the world, or at least a select few, as something more than a bunch of stab happy assassins. "I very much hope that someone had decided to take care of that little piece of business and forgot to inform me." The chaos following the mass killings would make finding the remains somewhat problematic. Now paranoia will be rife and the exact location of the body would probably be more difficult to pin down. It might disappear entirely. Just because it couldn't be taken from the material didn't mean it couldn't be hidden away once more immediate concerns took precedence over unlocking that particular conundrum.

Morgan leans back in his chair and Mort promptly hops up to sit in his lap. "I would understand entirely if it had been a situation of security. Not wanting to inform me to avoid a potential leak. But if that were so I should have simply been told that I wouldn't be told and would need to make my own arrangements. I'm left wondering if your people are taking me seriously. On a related note I'm also wondering if your people are taking the political situation seriously."

Did the Children even consider the political angle? Considering their clannish society, long isolation, and disdain for the material planar peoples Morgan worried that they'd give it short shrift. Even if they had no political aspirations nor interest in the realm politics and public opinion could and would be used against them, all the easier if they were ignorant in that theater. 'Play the game or get played by the game.'
Now who'd said that?
__________________
Thanks to all the great great GM's. Especially: Makenshi, Birched, Savoylen, Davion, and Homestarbaby.

Last edited by SpatulaOdoom; Jul 23rd, 2013 at 01:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 03:50 PM
Makenshi's Avatar
Makenshi Makenshi is offline
Weaver of Worlds
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2021
RPXP: 3967
Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi
Posts: 8,984
Ajikis chuckles slightly at Mrith's comment while she earned a smile from the reserved Maulkic. When she brings up being 'involved' Ajikis holds up a hand apologetically. "Not quite what I meant. It's just rare that any Dragon other than Mirik attends a meeting such as this." He gives a nonchalant shrug. "Human business being human business to most of our kind as you well know. To be honest, I'm only here because Maul is."

Bane grins at Morgan's comment, obviously pleased that he wasn't the only one who liked the hat. The grin vanishes when Morgan begins to chastise him. There is a certain coldness to his response, making his displeasure clear. "We are and were well aware of that issue Morgan. We didn't tell you precisely because of the reason you said and if we had told you we weren't going to tell you then your own actions could have tipped someone off. We took a great risk and have burnt a great many bridges to do what we did and we had to eliminate as many possible risks as possible." The grin suddenly returns, as does his friendly tone. "And just for that, I'm not going to tell you what we found."

Once that matter was dealt with the Child would push the hat back slightly to give him a better view of the people trickling in, which included the High Council members walking in in quick succession (with Phyre having taken up Aiden's position as expected) as well as Sei'Raeth Segali (Koeluth), Selene Jual (Taftiil), Shara Segali (Koeluth) and Alainn (Lunvai)several of the Archgates. "Ah, so the a name for Raeth, the Archgate of KoeluthLord of War is here. I assume that means we can expect the a name for TheofanWalking Storm too? I understand they were among those fighting against the 'Sharakans'." As far as Morgan knew all of the Archgates except for Kerberos had been contacted and said they would arrive. All Vulcar was able to do with Kerberos was to leave a message with the local Temple of the Eighth and hope he received it and arrived.

~MTWC
__________________
DMing...: Trials of the Young King [3.5, Full] | Working on...: The Godling Sagas [PF, Gestalt, TotYK Sequel]
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 06:53 AM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Custom Titled
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 15th, 2023
RPXP: 2124
Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue
Posts: 2,984
Mrith had to agree, although her own situation made it difficult to avoid getting tangled into human business.
She was proud of her family but it was unfortunately also her greatest source of embarrassment. Growing past her origins and handicap hadn't been easy but she had made her peace with her reality in her own way. Most of those sharing her condition weren't so fortunate.

"As I am only here... well, because I've been ordered to. Not that I mind. But you are correct, Ajikis, it is rare. I never thought I would one day stand in Halvanna and sit through a council. It chills my bones."

Attending Rudaa councils was already such a pain.
She wrapped her hands around her arms, mocking a shiver. Her breath condensed as she exhaled, a part of the joke.
Truly, it didn't seem to bother her that much.
"Speaking of which, you were right. It really does stink."
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 03:44 PM
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom is online now
Pretty cool Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 9th, 2023
RPXP: 14803
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Posts: 10,735
Morgan pinches the bridge of his nose between thumb and forefinger. He'd expected that reasoning regarding why. What he hadn't expected was for Bane to get bitchy and defenseive when asked simple questions.
"I'm glad to see you're taking it seriously, less glad to see you seem to want to create conflict where none need exist. I've already got several people I can go to if I need to fulfill a quota of petty bickering thank you. The reason why I ask is I couldn't figure out how leaving me uncertain actually increases your operational security over saying "we can't tell you." I already knew who, what, where, and why. The only question was when. In my reasoning by leaving me uncertain you encouraged me to not only make my own preparations, but I now need to pull together extra resources and plans to cover as many contingencies as possible. Meaning there are more opportunities and occasions for the unwanted leak to occur.
If on the other hand you tell me that you can't tell me when, but you'll look into the situation I mentioned, then I'm encouraged to sit back and let you handle it or risk our plans butting into each other and working at cross purposes. As well I'll probably re-allocating resources to other things than that. Both of which actually reduce your own risks. Even if I do decide to go ahead and make my own attempt anyway you're no worse off than before and you get insight as to how far you can trust me in the future.
Obviously you and yours see it differently. I'd like to know what that viewpoint is so I can have a reasonable chance of understanding what it is you'd like of me, and what I can expect of future interactions."
__________________
Thanks to all the great great GM's. Especially: Makenshi, Birched, Savoylen, Davion, and Homestarbaby.

Last edited by SpatulaOdoom; Jul 23rd, 2013 at 01:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 06:40 PM
Makenshi's Avatar
Makenshi Makenshi is offline
Weaver of Worlds
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2021
RPXP: 3967
Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi
Posts: 8,984
Ajikis grins at Mrith's last comment. "Just be glad we went through the Mage's quarter. The last time we were in Halvanna we made the mistake of coming in from the south - through the Slums." The Dragon shakes his head ruefully. "Sometimes I envy human noses."

Bane gives Morgan a calculating look, listening patiently to him as he speaks, before responding. "That is why we are here. To make our position clear to the people of Aheka." He sighs slightly, tipping the hat forward a little in an off-hand fashion. "I like you Morgan, but I don't trust you. I can't trust you. Not like I would another Child. Not yet at least. In our world we have to see people as one of two kinds: Children and non-Children. Even those slaves who are sympathetic to our cause must be treated with suspicion in case they are agents of the Fiends or even Fiends themselves. Trust is a difficult thing for us. The Fiends do everything they can to make sure of that. Often silence is the best course of action, as we did with you. Your examples are quite true although you didn't account for the possibility of your being a spy. If you were a spy then an answer - any answer - about when we intended to act could have had repercussions. Because we had yet to speak to you I expect you were surprised when you heard of what happened -that is precisely what we wished."

He flicks the hat back, glancing around the room briefly, seemingly to ensure no one is too close. "When I said we burnt bridges I really meant it. A great many Faces have broken their cover to do this, including Cypher. You have no idea of the time and cost that went it to creating and maintaining those covers but if I tell you that this is the biggest single undertaking we have ever taken perhaps you will get an idea of the scale." He smiles slightly. "Besides, it's not like we ignored all the Freeborn. I expect the only reason Raeth is here is to find out who we are. We sent messages to the Shalian forces and the Sei working against Sharak as we struck. They managed to take back and secure almost to the border I understand."

~MTWC
__________________
DMing...: Trials of the Young King [3.5, Full] | Working on...: The Godling Sagas [PF, Gestalt, TotYK Sequel]
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 01:31 PM
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom is online now
Pretty cool Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 9th, 2023
RPXP: 14803
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Posts: 10,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane
"I like you Morgan, but I don't trust you. I can't trust you. Not like I would another Child. Not yet at least."
That was expected. "Of course. I'm not of your kin, nor have we a long association to draw upon. The trick to fostering real long term trust is not to betray what lesser trust is placed in you." It's what he'd tried to explain to Syltar when the magus had gotten pissy with him for not sharing the secrets of others. "It's not that you believe I am untrustworthy, if that were true I'd have never left your camp alive, it's that you don't know that you can trust me. Logically you'll never know with absolute certainty that you can trust me. But then that can be said of everyone, yourself included. We must simply go with the information we have and make our best guesses."

Morgan spreads his hands. "These things go both ways though. Trust comes no easier for me either, especially these days. The very first time I personally put my trust in your people, that trust was deliberately broken. Not only that but when I sought an explanation why, in what is either a fit of pique or a poorly chosen joke you say that you not only have information on the subject but choose not to share it with me for having the audacity to question you. Tell me what you expect me to think of that?

I had considered the fact that you had to work under the possibility I was an agent of your enemies attempting to draw you into an ambush, however the difference between saying nothing and letting me know you won't tell me seems minimal and counterproductive given the long term importance of what I'm trying to do."


But would Bane be able to understand exactly what he was trying to do? Morgan raps his fingernails on the table top. Perhaps a full explanation was in order. Considering how useful it had been during Vulcar and Celes's engagement party in speaking candidly with Jester, Morgan had chosen to have a telepathic bond spell prepared for tonight. With a shrug he casts the spell and pokes Bane in the shoulder with one long finger so that they can converse openly via mindlink without anyone overhearing.

"The Children have done a swift, masterful, and vital job of crippling Sharak's invasion and deposing a ruler bent on a very dangerous path, and done it with a relative minimum of bloodshed. Compared to the traditional march of armies and sieges and laying waste to entire regions eliminating a relatively few key leaders is realistically speaking the ideal solution. We "I really want to make a battletech reference on thisfreeborn" owe you a great debt of gratitude, as you've repeatedly hinted at with the whole burning bridges thing. You can stop fishing for compliments now." Morgan wanted to say that if they didn't feel the benefits outweighed the cost they shouldn't have done it, and if they did then quit damn complaining. "The problem is that it is only a short term solution to one of a couple of complex long term problems with Sharak and Shali. The solutions to which won't be found in killing people.

The first problem is the ongoing feud between Sharak and Shali. It's generations old and not only allowed but encouraged to continue by others for their own ends. It is the flaw which allowed Zera to start a war between them, and has allowed the fiends start a second war and to find a foothold of influence. Unless the wound is treated it will continue to fester and be an easily exploitable flaw to be wielded against them.

The second is Sharak's growing acceptance of all things fiendish. Something that has been slowly growing all over the world, but is most evident in Sharak. Even the Eigth Knights are not what they once were, not because they've failed but because they've faded away due to lack of interest and concern. The idea that the fiends can be allies and even friends rather than slave masters and enemies is a dangerous one. The Demongate wars were a long time ago, and faded from the memory of many.

Recovering Prince Xander's remains isn't a total solution to either problem obviously. Social change on that scale takes time and effort, but it will be a perfect first step. A symbol and a way to gather some momentum."
More than even Bane could imagine if Xander's soul could be retrieved from the sword and his body returned to life. "Because right now I assure you that most of the Shalian soldiers are chomping at the bit their chance to go across to the other side and get a little revenge now that the tables are turning. If I, if we, can't stop that from happening it will just all start over again. The end result is Sharak will wind up with an 'us versus the world' mentality. Their only allies? The fiends who've supposedly stood by them.

That's right, if played wrong the assassinations can easily just make this situation worse. I needed that information, when you were making your move and where Xander's remains were, because I needed to be able to be ready to move before the fiends get to work spreading their propaganda."


Morgan was in what he saw as a unique position. Due to sheer chance more than anything he had connections to many of the major powers, even second hand like Esiard's reputation with the Elernens. If he played his cards right he could help foster the sort of unity required if they were to ever stand against the fiends on their own. The better a job he did the fewer people would know or even realize he was doing it. Bane and the Children though knew only too well the tactics of the fiends. It was a different sort of fight than they were geared to fight, but if anyone would recognize the necessity and even the vital importance of what he was trying to do it would be them.

"Now please I beg you skip the pretenses and just tell me what you found out. This really isn't the time for games."
__________________
Thanks to all the great great GM's. Especially: Makenshi, Birched, Savoylen, Davion, and Homestarbaby.

Last edited by SpatulaOdoom; Jul 23rd, 2013 at 01:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Makenshi's Avatar
Makenshi Makenshi is offline
Weaver of Worlds
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2021
RPXP: 3967
Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi
Posts: 8,984
Bane gives Morgan a flat look. "I said I would not tell you Morgan. Not that I would not speak of it while you could hear." He shakes his head. "It is at times like this that I see what Cypher meant about Freeborn being so different. Another Child would have taken my meaning and known no offence was meant, but I forget not to expect it of you. I will speak on the matter of the Gray Prince tonight Morgan, just not right now with you. In part because it is a fine joke to play on your pride to make you wait a little longer but also because it is better for Celes to be among the first to hear." He spreads his hands. "Have I made myself clearer now?"

When the conversation moves to the mind Bane feigns annoyance at being poked and tips his hat back over his face and leaning back. "We are more aware of the issues than you seem to think and while I will not pretend to understand the politics of Freeborn you should not think we are all so ignorant. The Faces in particular are well informed, and my sister especially so. She is one of us who has burnt her bridges and an important bridge it was." There is a slight pause when Morgan gets the impression he is thinking. "I guess there is no harm in telling you of it now. Cypher's face in Sharak was known as Dyelin, Royal Advisor to King Kaeyin and a notable Priestess of Deimos. She was also a friend and confidant of Princess Aldamil."

When Morgan switches back to the spoken word Bane doesn't move. Even after he has finished talking he remains still and silent for a time before shifting the hat up enough to glance at Morgan from underneath. "So long as you grow a thicker skin to our jokes I suppose I can make an exception." Assuming Morgan agreed he would continue. "Recovering Xander was among our top priorities. We managed to recover him before they even knew they were under attack and we fully intend to make a show of his recovery, starting today while we have an audience. Cypher says it will help to 'humanise' us to the Freeborn."

~MTWC
__________________
DMing...: Trials of the Young King [3.5, Full] | Working on...: The Godling Sagas [PF, Gestalt, TotYK Sequel]
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:42 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB