Mechanics Competition rules and rules queries - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > Outplay Arena > Outplay 2019
twitter facebook
0 5 6 0
... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 12:14 PM
Windrunner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8726
Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimmy View Post
“Chapter 6 of the core rulebook” isn't really specific to those that are using online tools to sort through information. If you have specific limits it’s best to spell them out.

Moved to rules chat. Please keep all discussion of rules here, and reserve the applications thread ONLY for applications

Chapter six is the equipment chapter. If it is equipment from the core rulebook, that's the chapter it is in.
So you are no longer allowed to designate magic items as your bonded object? And what if you select Ultimate Equipment as your +1?

Errata updated; If you receive a bonded object, only items listed in Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook or your additional source are available. If you select a bonded object that is magical, ie Ring of Invisibility, you must pay the full price at character creation for that item, ie 20,000 gp.

Last edited by wodine; 06-08-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:19 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16659
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Alright, I got a rules question for our great, wise, and powerful judges.

One of the character concepts I'm considering is to literally bring in my character from last year, as in it's been a year and he remembers last year's competition and everything.

The problem is that last year the characters were level 10, now you want them to be level 8. What adjustments would you want me to make to accommodate this ruling?

I don't think it's useful to think about 'adjustments'. For the purposes of this year's competition, you just need to build a character that is consistent with this year's rules. There are no special concessions or rewards or penalties for re-playing a character. IMHO, the main question is how you rationalize the difference. Eg, did he leave some items behind in the Labyrinth? Knocked on the head, so he forgot some of his skills? Is sick when he got this year's summons? Etc. I would encourage you, mechanically, not to start with your old character and try to 'take things away', but to start from scratch and try to build back up, as close as you can, to what you had. ~Wyn.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 06-08-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:55 AM
Mmmm, crunchy.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5093
Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer
Rules clarification question for 5e.
PHB + 1: (XGtE, VGtM, or SCAG) doesn't seem to include DMG, but it's implied that we can use it for outfitting our characters. If we use equipment from the DMG does that count as our +1?
If not do other books count if we use them only for equipment?

DMG (as part of the core rule system) does NOT count as your +1 for the purpose of magic item purposes. Any other book DOES count as +1, if you take spells or items from them.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 06-09-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:59 AM
Goblin Jester

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3243
Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal Nommer View Post
Rules clarification question for 5e.
PHB + 1: (XGtE, VGtM, or SCAG) doesn't seem to include DMG, but it's implied that we can use it for outfitting our characters. If we use equipment from the DMG does that count as our +1?
If not do other books count if we use them only for equipment?
In particular is it possible to use the common magic items from XGtE without that counting as the +1?

Also on a similar subject are spell choices limited to the +1 limitation?

Yes if you take spells or items from a non PHB/DMG book, that WILL count as your one additional allowed book.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 06-09-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:08 AM
Windrunner

Tools
User Statistics
Pretty sure the meaning of PH +1 is that everything you use comes from those two places. Only those two places. I mean PF peeps can’t use archetypes to classes that refer to things outside their two books and if they want the wide variety of equipment they don’t get to use the hallmark of pathfinder...archetypes...because there are none in CRB or in Ultimate Equipment.

They are different systems with different rules and different organization schemes. The D&D PHB has no magic items, while the PF core book does. See the previous rulings. The judgement you're providing here is incorrect.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 06-09-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:39 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 842
cchrome77 cchrome77 cchrome77 cchrome77 cchrome77 cchrome77 cchrome77
I have a question regarding magic item cost for 5e. The chart seems to indicate a set price based purely on rarity and consumability. So are all magic items of the same cost as long as they are the in the same category?
Example, bag of holding and broom of flying are non consumable uncommon items, would they both cost 500?

Correct

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 06-09-2019 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:36 PM
Windrunner

Tools
User Statistics
“Previous rulings” came after I stated that it only made sense 5e was going to be treated the same as PF. My bad, should have realized the inequality would span the entire contest and not just specific areas. You have come to the wrong contest if you are worried about inequality between Pathfinder and 5E. They are completely different systems and as such, are being separated until the very last encounter. When we reach that point, petty things like abilities will not matter in the eyes of the judges (ie. me).

The best player is going to win, not the best optimizer. We are making the rules ‘vanilla’ on purpose, specifically to avoid a pun-pun winning the contest. We have also built our challenges in a way that will help all character classes be useful, These rules are in place specifically to avoid over-optimizing your PC.

“Playing” consists not only being prepared for whatever come at you, but also writing style, ingenuity and how you interact with both the scenario and others. As a judge, I will frown on any soul-less, over optimized PC’s.

While I’m here can traits be selected if the feat is taken for them? Since that was the “worry” about their unbalancing nature. Yes, if you take the Advanced Player Guide as your +1, the Additional Trait is available,

Last edited by Squeak; 06-09-2019 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:48 PM
Nos defendat nostra

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13605
Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer
Why was Ultimate Combat taken out of the selection list?

Because then people would want to be Samurai, Ninja, and worst of all Gunslingers. And then other people would invariably complain about how OP gunslingers are, etc and so forth ad nauseum.

Last edited by wodine; 06-09-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:10 PM
Goblin Jester

Tools
User Statistics
Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh
Is it acceptable to use one race mechanically to represent/role play another race?

For example using a half orc stat block to represent a orc, orog or ogre.

Re-fluffing within reason is fine, as long as mechanics are completely unchanged, and it's clear where the base mechanics are drawn from.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 06-09-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:30 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7195
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
I'm thinking of going Shadow Sorcerer/Rogue Assassin, and I have a question about the Darkness spell that the Shadow Sorcerer can create by using 2 Sorcery Points, allowing my character to see inside the darkness the spell he created.

In the description of the Darkness spell, it says everyone has Disadvantage. I already figured out my character would not be affected by this as he can still see, but I was wondering:
  • Since my character will be able to see and no one else can, would he have Advantage on his attacks?
  • If not, would Sneaking while in the darkness and then attacking work to give him Advantage to his attack?
This is mainly for my characters Sneak Attack to trigger, but I think there might be other uses too.

Sorry if this is discussed in the PHB/DMG somewhere. I am still a bit new to 5th Edition D&D.

Being in Darkness imposes the Blinded condition, which is described in Appendix A of the PHB. That description gives you all the answers to your question.

Edit: Thank You

"Play HAVOC! And Let Lose the Dogs of WAR!"

DMing: An Untimely EncounterSun - Fri: NORMAL / Fri & Sat: I'm getting dental implants Monday, posting rate will be QUESTIONABLE until furthor notice!

Last edited by Silk; 06-09-2019 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:21 AM
Groom'd

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13748
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
Can my character start with a disease? Like, mechanically.

I don’t think diseases are in the approved sources, but I could be wrong.

The rules for disease and a number of the Paizo diseases are in the core rulebook.

You may not start with any diseased from a mechanics standpoint. You may start with any many fluff disease as you wish, and of course may contract diseases normally once play beings.

Last edited by wodine; 06-10-2019 at 01:38 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:33 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
How readily can we expect to resupply ammunition, consumeables etc? Also how gritty is the game vis a vis survival necessities?
Follow up, is there any rewards in form of treasure planned or do we need to take the resupply costs (if we even can) into account at character creation? If this is your first time, I would suggest you read up on previous years - not only 2018, but prior years as well.,

The tournament is round robin style with a maximum of 4 weeks of posting (28 posts). Many of those posts will be non-combat. I would not plan on having an opportunity for your PC to resupply.

Last edited by Squeak; 06-10-2019 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:00 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Where are the previous years archived?

Here is the directory. I'd recommend looking back several years, the format was considerably different last year in particular.

Last edited by wodine; 06-10-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:26 AM
Windrunner

Tools
User Statistics
Look up, follow links back.

Red text for reading convenience.

Last edited by wodine; 06-10-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:56 AM
Goblin Jester

Tools
User Statistics
Does the 1000 word limit include BB coded quotes from Arch-mage Rostamoinen missive if they are weaved into the roleplay sample?

There is a MAXIMUM length of 1000 words, this includes any text you attempt to hide in tt tags or with images.

However it does not include words used in BB code such as color, size, or font. Generally the judges will copy and paste all the text into a google doc/word doc to check word count.

Last edited by wodine; 06-10-2019 at 07:19 PM.
Closed Thread