RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 02-14-2020, 08:30 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16397
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Overrated

So I live in the Washington DC area and for YEARS people have been bugging me about going to this place called "Ben's Chili Bowl." I've been told it is the end-all be-all of chili and chili dogs. The guys there are chili geniuses with magical spices and secret recipes. All the cool kids go there (the two who get mentioned most often are Barak Obama and Bill Cosby for some reason). It's been there for 60 or 70 years -- it's an "Institution" and an indespensible part of the DC landscape, and on and on and on. I believe it's actually an official historic landmark.

So this week I finally broke down and went to Ben's Chili Bowl. Honest assessment: I've eaten better chili out of a can. A can that said For the uninitiated, Hormel brand chili is the crappiest canned chili you can legally purchase in America. Suitable only for hoboes and graduate students.Hormel on it. The hot dogs were nothing special either. What a complete let down.

For what it's worth, the DC area has some other strange brands of food homerism, like "Virginia peanuts" -- which are basically just peanuts. With salt. Indistinguishable from Planters, except by price. Also "Five Guys Burgers and Fries," which started in Arlington and has somehow managed to expand all over the world on the back of their mediocre burgers and hopelessly soggy fries.

So what are your most overrated things? They can be things that get hyped endlessly but Dallas Cowboysinvariably disappoint, or things that might be okay, but get Beatlesblown out of all proportion by hysterical fans.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:46 AM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39011
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
In and Out as well as Shake Shake would be on there, as would my face to face encounter with Admin Dirk.

Quite honestly, just about any restaurant that costs more than $50 a head falls into the overrated category.

Last edited by Squeak; 02-14-2020 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:39 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1602
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
Krispy Kreme donuts recently came to my part of the world. When the stores opened, there were massive queues. And everyone was raving about them. Then someone brought a box of their donuts to work for morning tea, and I was seriously underwhelmed. A below-average donut completely overwhelmed by the sickly-sweet glaze.

I just went back to buying cinnamon donuts from Wendys. Soooo much nicer. Particularly when they've just been made. Still warm, crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside. No glaze, no jam or cream, just a dusting of cinnamon sugar.

Mmmm. I wish I could get some now, but it's almost midnight where I am.

Last edited by Telcontar; 02-14-2020 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Sorry, it was Krispy Kremes, not Dunkin Donuts. Sorry to fans of Dunkin Donuts!
Old 02-14-2020, 10:41 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
This thread reminded me of Christopher Hitchens' "Four Most Overrated Things", which I cannot repeat on this forum.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:37 PM
Season starts THIS week

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 66454
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Cinnabon.

Epcot center

In an out burger

Ruths chris steakhouse
Old 02-14-2020, 02:49 PM
god-King of GM brutality

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1701
UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ
I DETEST Krispy Kreme donuts. I'll et them if they are sitting around and I need a sugar rush, but I would never in a million years get them on a whim. YUCK

But I do like the 5 Guys Burgers by our movie theater...
Old 02-14-2020, 05:38 PM
Γόρδιοι δεσμόι

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1112
Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncaJJ View Post
I DETEST
Outsized outrage on the internet is definitely overrated.

I'd probably say any coffee or coffee adjacent drink that cost me more than a dollar or two is definitely overrated.

For our family, at least, Disney+ is overrated. We'll resubscribe when there is more Jeff Goldblum to watch.

Also, winter. Winter is overrated. If I lived in a place that never had seasons (and I'm pretty close to that now), I'd be happy.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:48 PM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
Also, winter. Winter is overrated. If I lived in a place that never had seasons (and I'm pretty close to that now), I'd be happy.
Trust me, it's a matter of perspective.

I live in a place in which Summer pretty much lasts six months of the year, and temperatures hover around 35-43 degrees Celcius (95-110 degrees Fahrenheit) for about half of that period.

As a result, I love Winter. It is such a relief.

Having said that, we only get two seasons here. We don't get Spring or Autumn. Just one season in which it is hot and dry... and another season in which it isn't (which we choose to call Winter, lol).
Old 02-14-2020, 06:06 PM
Γόρδιοι δεσμόι

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1112
Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo
Fortunately, we don't get that hot in the summer here. We'll get barely into the 90s(F) in July and August, and it is always very humid. But there is a nice constant ocean breeze to cool things down. We are down to around 70F by December, and January and February are our rainy season (winter) with temps that average in the 50s. By March 1st spring is just about here. The older I get, the more I like that. I'd go right from Christmas to March 1st if I could. I don't like the damp and cold. And I don't like the darkness.

My next teaching post needs to be in Mexico City or Costa Rica. My wife could translate for me.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:21 PM
Season starts THIS week

Tools
User Statistics
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Agree with Krispy Kreme.

It's a fine donut, it truly is. But it's not "wait in a line 40 minutes long in Phoenix summer" good, it's just a donut.

Bars as places to hang out, meet people, and enjoy yourself. That's overrated.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:46 PM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin Dirk View Post
Bars as places to hang out, meet people, and enjoy yourself. That's overrated.
You must live in a very cultured part of the world. Where I live, bars are where people go to get absolutely blind drunk and embarrass themselves in public.

Never understood the appeal, to be honest.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:32 PM
Season starts THIS week

Tools
User Statistics
Beer.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:24 AM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39011
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
Caviar, Pate and Truffles. Meaningless sex, the college is betterNFL, Awards shows, entrepreneurship.

Dirk is absolutely wrong on Cinnabon, but since heart attacks are overrated as well, I won’t put up too much of a fight.

Last edited by Squeak; 02-15-2020 at 02:25 AM.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:21 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2595
Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991
I'm going to draw some ire, but Iron Maiden. It's not even that I dislike Maiden, but they just sound generic coming off from bands like Blind Guardian or Sabaton.

Also, cognac.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:33 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15677
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron3991 View Post
It's not even that I dislike Maiden, but they just sound generic coming off from bands like Blind Guardian or Sabaton.
Not to bringe the ire, but they would do, having been a big part of that second generation of bands that first got heavy metal into the mainstream. Hard not to sound generic when you're one of the people establishing the expectations of what the genre even is. They hung on for a while too, but their output has been disappointing for almost 20 years now. Still a solid live act though, especially when they play stuff from the first ten-ish albums. But fair play to just sticking with stuff that's ten or twenty years younger, respectively. Every generation has their music.

I second Dunkin Donuts and Cinnabon - both were hyped to me and then turned out to just be okay. Not worth travelling or queueing for, but if I had one on my commute maybe I would get something off them once or twice a year.

Also Starbucks, but slacking them off is shooting fish in a barrel. I don't like super fancy super sweet coffees, so the place is not for me.