Game Thread Round 1 - Bracket 2 - Group A (ekidnu, Born of Monsters, AnotherDragoon, BlackDragon0 - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > Outplay Arena > Outplay 2021 > Outplay 2021 Archive
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 09:17 PM
ekidnu's Avatar
ekidnu ekidnu is offline
Nargle
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 2nd, 2021
RPXP: 38522
ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu
Posts: 8,407
AloneOnce again, Rocky is alone.

He’s used to it—he’s spent a century on his own, more or less, before meeting his gnome friend Bub, a century spent cautiously scouting this strange new world, dancing a delicate thread between hiding and exploring. By comparison, the current separation from his team isn’t even a blink of an eye, and stealthily tracking the elf across the market is, for such an immensely long-lived elemental, faster than a quick peek around a corner.

It took a long time for him to adapt to the seemingly constant urgency felt by the short-lived races, to understand the rush for accomplishment before dying off like flies. The Crossing Companions magnified this helter-skelter philosophy, with dire situations demanding immediate attention day after day after day, to the point that Rocky can now easily recognize that there is no time to contact the others: the delicate elf is shouting something, and he needs to find out what as quickly as possible.

The sandy elemental slinks along a wall, then quietly slips through the crack beneath the warehouse door. Like dust drifting before a draft, he enters the room and slides surreptitiously into a small pile in a corner. Only a small portion of his mass enters, to remain as inconspicuous as possible, but he does risk dragging in a diamond within the sand. Once settled, he allows a facet of his eye to peer out at the cult’s gathering.


Together“Like blanket. But more groovy.”

Rocky was having a hard time explaining his eyes to Kase. They had just completed their third contract for the Crossing Companions Adventuring GuildCCAG, and the ever inquisitive android was wondering how he shifted one eye to a fingertip, to look over a high wooden palisade during their mission. The Terran looked to Haerrsk and Denmuk nearby for help, but they seemed just as confused, if not more.

“Eye not me. But me too. Like …” He struggled to find the right words, to convey an accurate explanation. Terrans are born without eyes—what use is vision when one lives at the Center of the Earth, in a world of pure stone? Infants sense their surroundings entirely through vibrations. It’s not until they are ready to venture to the Ends of the Earth that they are taken to the Crystal Garden to select their eyes.

He was able to successfully explain the garden to Kase and the others—eventually—but as for the Ritual of Eyes itself? Rocky didn’t even try to describe the ineffable wonder of finding and bonding with one’s soulmate, or of visiting exotic caves near the Air and feeling things one can’t touch. A Terran’s gemstone eyes open his senses to a whole new world.

“Like … like wizard rat.” Yes. That was it. Rocky didn’t know all that much about wizards (besides their evil penchant for abducting elementals) but he had learned how intimately connected they were to their familiars (which were always rats as far as Rocky was concerned). Wizards aren’t born with familiars—they acquire them. And a familiar isn’t a part of a wizard—and yet it is. So it is with Terrans and their eyes—their gemstones are kindred spirits, faithful friends until the end. For as long as he has his precious diamonds, Rocky will never be alone.


 

Last edited by ekidnu; Jul 8th, 2021 at 09:20 PM.
  #17  
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 11:27 PM
AnotherDragoon's Avatar
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon is online now
Down & Dirty Dragoonie
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 2nd, 2021
RPXP: 16933
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Posts: 4,052
Data flow and logical operation
right-aligned image
If Kase could breathe, this is another time he would sigh. Not that he had any moral qualms about fighting guardsmen. If the encounter turned hostile, he would have released his violence inhibitors and ended the threat along with Demmuk and Haerrsk.

These men would pose little threat to the three of them. He didn't need a biometric scan to tell him they were afraid. However, that would have taken time and attention away from their current objective and possibly alerted the rest of the local watch. The last thing they needed was a repeat of the Peltragow Barony incident.

Kase, Menasse, and a handful of others had to agree to never again return to the Island of Swindon. Which was regrettable for allegedly there is a cave hidden in a forest that converges with another plane. The locals said hopeful magicians would enter the cave and come out days later possessing wondrous powers but seemingly aged as if they'd been gone years. Interesting.

Today there was no blood spilled. No over-eager militiamen lay dismembered on the bricks. The confrontation was successfully de-escalated with the quick deployment of words just like it was initiated. Is this diplomacy? Perhaps.

>>Diplomacy. /dəˈplōməsē/ ... The profession, activity, or skill of managing international relations, typically by a country's representatives abroad. The art of dealing with people in a sensitive and effective way.<<

Kase tilted his head and stared flatly with unblinking eyes at the head guard when he laughed and attempted humor. "This one does not require shaving as my face is not equipped with hairs. But thank you for your concern. Yes, these folk are fine and we will be taking our leave now. Good day, constable." The android nodded before he swiftly turned on his heel and returned the Omnitool Hephaestus to its compartment in his arm.

A quick scan of the people that congregated to witness the interaction revealed no sign of the elf. But, that was acceptable. The data had already formed a trail and data doesn't lie. It simply is. He led his companions through the crowd a few paces and then, This is effectively a cantripprojected an image of the warehouse from his left eye lens onto the canvas wall of a market stall.

"Here is our destination. This is where all the irregularities converge and what Rocky was trying to show us. The where. Now, all we need is the when." Kase blinked once and the image flickered away. Then, he continued to the building in question.

When they got close, the android cautiously approached a back door, off of the loading dock and slipped inside. He quickly ducked behind a shelf or crate and listened intently.


 


Stat Block
Name: Kase 13 the wanderer
Race: (6) Android
CN: (3)
Gear:
  1. Deimos Blade: A one-handed titanium alloy sword with a monomolecular filament edge.
  2. Omnitool Hephaestus: A versatile tool stored in his left forearm used for assembly, disassembly, and repairs among other things.
  3. Gnosis Drive: A small cube located in his head that contains the Advanced Situational Awareness and Perception field which governs Advanced Protocols.
Signature Moves:
  1. Kill Mode Active: When a hostile entity is detected his violence inhibitors can be deactivated granting access to multiple combat procedures.
  2. Advanced Protocols (Spellcasting): The A.S.A.P. field allows the Gnosis Drive to run Advanced Protocols.
Known Spells:
  1. Promethean Beam: (Damage) A concentrated energy beam emitted from a small lens concealed in his forehead.
  2. Nanite Swarm Panacea: (Healing) A small swarm of minuscule robots deployed from his hands capable of repairing both organic and inorganic materials.
__________________
Thank you, anonymous benevolent benefactor!│I have taken the oath.│ “Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.”
-Kurt Vonnegut
  #18  
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 01:20 AM
Born of Monsters's Avatar
Born of Monsters Born of Monsters is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 25th, 2021
RPXP: 1167
Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters
Posts: 83
Pursuit, resumedHuman scholars and bestiarists have long described the gnoll race as resembling anthropormophic hyenas. Some gnoll tribes, especially those influenced by the demon whispers, have indeed domesticated the vicious beasts, using them much as humans might use hunting hounds. While this only serves to reinforce the connection in the minds out outside observers, the gnolls themselves fail to see the resemblance and consider the comparison rather insulting...

The guard captain was clearly not aware of this particular bit of anthropological lore when he called Haerrsk a "rabid animal". For a moment, she put aside her thoughts of the elf and the cult and the pursuit to consider precisely how best to kill this man. Demmuk will understand, she rationalized. The dragonborn's sense of honor was not something she ever truly understood, but the part of that code that answered slights with retribution, that was familiar to her. But Kase... Kase had somehow managed to talk the guards down, to craft a tale out of nothingness that they accepted as truth all the same. Do our storytellers do this? She wondered for an instant, but this was not time for philosophical speculation. She took a long last look at the captain, to remember his face. If all of this goes to hell, I can always come back for him.

Then the guards were behind them, and Haerrsk's mind focused again on the task at hand. Her mission. The hunt. Somewhere ahead, Rocky had doubtless trailed the elf to his destination. She sniffed at the air. But as always, the stone creature had no scent of his own. But Kase had identified the building in question and crafted an image of it from light. Haerrsk shook her head, fighting to banish her anger and blood-rage. Beneath her fur, she felt herself blush in shame. How many times had she chided yearlings for being led astray just as quickly? And while she wore her tribe's dye! It would not happen again, not here.

"I can't lead us to the path Rocky took," she apologized to the android and dragonkin. "The smell of sand doesn't leave a trail like flesh and blood." She appraised the building before her. This type of structure was familiar to her, used to store goods in bulk. Often filled with boxes and barrels and dark places through which she could stalk. This wouldn't be the first time for that, certainly. "We could rush after the elf. I'm sure I can find his scent again. But I think I can find a quieter way down..."

"And Kase..." She dropped her voice to confide in the android. "Thank you. I was ready to deal with that guard the way my people have always dealt with guards like that." Haerrsk was uncomfortable in her contrition. "I... was wrong." But that was all she had to say on the topic, and before any answer came, she was already moving forward.

Warehouses and storerooms. And evil temples and bandit hideaways, for that matter. They always have paths through the shadows and clutter. Routes that smell of disuse and dust, where a wary intruder can make their way unseen -- or less seen, at any rate. There would be such a way here, Haerrsk was certain, a way down into the heart of the cult without alerting their prey until it was too late. She felt the dye, nearly dry on her fur now, but not yet beginning to flake away. Haerrsk whispered into the darkness as she began to pick her way inside. "Just a little longer, Enkarasa. Stay with me just a little longer."

MechanicsAction = Finder's Focus. Here, she's not so much trying to scent out a target like she did earlier (which was, and would be, perception-based), so much as use her preternatural hunter's acumen to "find" a stealthy path into the heart of the lair. Which I think is probably roll-under (+1d AG, +1d SM), because it's fundamentally a stealth roll. As always, I am certain the GM will have the final word about rolling polarity and effect application; I don't always quite know what's expected of this system and what's "trying too hard".
Dice Roll:
3d6 6, 5, 4 Total = 15


Three successes. Unless I'm wrong and this should still be perception-based, in which case, three successes instead.

Stat block
  • Name: Haerrsk
  • Race: Gnoll
  • Character Number: 5
  • Adventuring Gear
    • Spear: Look, sometimes you don't want to put your claws in something, much less bite it. Also, it turns out that other people take you more seriously when you're waving a pointy stick about. Absolutely not an heirloom or ancient relic though. Whatever prey-brain started the idea that old weapons were automatically good weapons... clearly hadn't used many weapons.
    • Hunter's dye: This canister of suspiciously red-ochre paste is refilled each time she meets back up with her tribe. What? Of course there's blood mixed into it! The tribe's dye is maintained in a sacred vat over years and generations. So there's blood in there from the tribe's Great Hunts, and the heartblood of fallen tribemates worth remembering. There's a little bit of her aunt in the tribe's dye now, and Haerrsk couldn't be more proud.
    • Rope: Since becoming an adventurer, Haerrsk has traded in her length of sisal for a good 150 hands of that silk stuff. She might be slowly acclimating to more civilized life, but the idea that people go adventure through caves and canyons without knowing their way around a length of rope hurts her head to think about. Exactly where those elves got this much silk does too, honestly, but it sure is good rope.
  • Signature Moves
    • Finder's Focus: When you're looking for something specific -- the prey you're tracking, or even just that ritual necklace you haven't needed since last season when you put it somewhere real safe -- you get a good clawtip of that dye. Mark the fur next to your eyes, and run a little line down your muzzle. Nothing helps better for finding what you're after. The dye-keeper says it's the spirits in the blood, lending you their strength. Might just be what the stuff smells like that gives you some motivation to find what you're after. You can mark up a packmate if they don't have their own dye, though its always better to have your own. No idea if it does anything for humans and such, since none of them have blood in the vat, except maybe as prey.
    • Hunt As One: Okay, yes. All the "secret technique of the hunt-leaders" consists of is giving a good battle cry while pointing something sharp at the quarry. There's still a lot of art to it. Good battle cries aren't just howling and screaming, or else everyone could give them. Anyway, bringing down big monsters isn't like hunting rabbits. Sure, there's nothing wrong with rushing in with the pointy-end forward. But sometimes you go a lot further encouraging everyone else to do that first. Really brings the world into focus for them. Even humans and elves and whatnot, anyone that's fighting at your side. Gives them funny tingly feelings, too, or so I've heard.
__________________
Player pronouns: She/her. Character pronouns may vary.

Last edited by Born of Monsters; Jul 9th, 2021 at 01:21 AM.
  #19  
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 02:49 AM
BlackDragon0's Avatar
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 is offline
BlackDragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 1st, 2021
RPXP: 676
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
Posts: 502
fight avoided. (Yes )Demmuk thought.( One doesn't have to use physical force or violence to show might. He may have been a little out side the box , on what that meant. But it sure was fun. Besides it got them to listen to Kase. When needed. Cause they sure weren't going to without it.) Demmuk waited for the guards to move on..." That went nicely. I think we should follow Rocky. ", He whispered to the group...smiling. A dragonborn's smile looks much like a growl teeth showing and scary. Really it's the soft color and glint to the red eyes that say happy not the dark red sometimes angry glowing of a mad dragonborn's eyes.

"It seems Rocky has successfully followed the elf. Haerrsk can you still follow with you nose? ", He says more normally. Alas she could not.
"Oh you have a strange image thing of where they went Kase? What magic you must command. Let us be on our way quickly and quietly." Adds the dragonborn, as he is shown Kase's picture.


cultists lair Demmuk follows Kase and the Gnoll to the building where Rocky and the elf went. He starts looking around for clues. And noticed the gravelly sand of Rocky finish slipping under a door. "Rocky's in there do we go in or wait?", He asked the others in a whisper, as he listened for anything. Then Kase entered though the back door, without a sound.
This was not the way of the warrior but sometimes one must quietly investigate in order to find truth. So adapt is what a warrior does in situations like this. But he waited on the gnoll. To see how she reacts. Then follows as quietly as he can.



Demmuk
Name: Demmuk
Class: Samurai ( dual wield/ Swordsmaster)
Race: Dragonborn
CN: 5
Ag: 2 katanas.( samurai swords in which he has trained for years. Are an extension of him self and used together.)
Ag:Journal with everything he has come across in this travels. Creatures, maps, people, towns ect.
Ag: Kimono which helps him blend in anywhere from traveling in the wilds to ballrooms with lords.

SM1: Sword dance. A whirlwind sword attack that hits multiple targets until all are dead or a miss.

SM2: Dragon intimidation. Demmuk's red outlines on his black scales glow as flames surround his jaw his eyes narrow with a glowing flame like appearance. Causing great fear in his enemies, such as if they were being chased by a huge red dragon.
(aided by his kimono which also has designs that glow red to add to the effect)


 
__________________
" Dragons who fly alone, Die alone!"

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Jul 9th, 2021 at 03:04 AM.
  #20  
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 09:17 AM
Imveros's Avatar
Imveros Imveros is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 2nd, 2021
RPXP: 42023
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Posts: 11,360
The Market
right-aligned image
The group each snuck in from different angles. All the better to catch their quarry off guard. As luck would have it, a pile of empty crates sat in a corner of the room, and our daring adventurers could all regroup there. There they could share the information they'd gathered as they'd moved through the building.

Rocky overheard two of the loud footprints talking. "What's all this stuff used for anyway? The apples, I understand, but the stuff hiding under the apples, I haven't a clue." A different voice responded. "Why do you care? The pay for this is great, and all we had to do was make sure no one found out!"

Kase made his way past a table laden with baskets. All precariously overloaded with common foodstuffs. One of the cultists bumped the table, and potatoes cascaded to the ground, uncovering the necks of several bottles filled with vibrant red liquid. "You idiot! You break those, and she'll have your head!" A concerned woman said, piling the potatoes back into the basket.

Haerrsk kept out of sight, relying on her sense of smell. She didn't need to worry about her prey's line of sight. The scents were overwhelming, but she focused on the most important, the scent of the predator. She risked a glance between the shelves and saw him consulting a scroll, alternating between jabbing with his finger into the distance and jabbing the scroll. The elf nodded, left the scroll on the table, and walked to the center of the room.

All of this skulking sat poorly with the samurai. Back in his lands, things would have played out much differently. He just needed to repeat that these honorless dogs were nothing but animals, and he would treat them as such. The Code of Bushido only applied to those with honor. He gazed up from his internal turmoil long enough to see a woman with pink hair observing from scaffolding above before disappearing through a side door.


OODM@ekidnu: A buff was not my intention, let's just say there's a crawl space under the floor that your sand has wormed its way into, and we'll also say the floorboards aren't that tight either should you wish to go up as well in your final post.

OOC
Judging results
PlayerCharacterMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridayTotal
ekidnuRocky222208
Born of MonstersHaerrsk220206
AnotherDragoonKase-13012104
BlackDragon0Demmuk012104
__________________
Outplay 2021 is live. Come cheer on your favorite guild member!
Join the RPGX caption contest! *Your witty text here*
Have you heard that we have an unofficial Discord server? Come say hi!
  #21  
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 08:11 PM
ekidnu's Avatar
ekidnu ekidnu is offline
Nargle
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 2nd, 2021
RPXP: 38522
ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu
Posts: 8,407
Upon sensing his companions’ footsteps gathering in a secluded corner of the warehouse, Rocky finds a crack between the poorly constructed floorboards and slithers up out of the crawl space to greet them. He’s glad to see them again—not that there was any doubt that they would extricate themselves from their encounter with the guards—and when he sees a large pile of crates shielding them all from view, he reconstitutes himself into his usual rocky form, a form capable of speech. Finally he would be able to share what he had found!

In a low rumbling whisper, akin to a carriage jostling over a rutted road, the Terran relates his very important news.

“Cult here. And apples. And stuff under apples.”

Perhaps it’s more important to hear what the others have to say.

Rocky listens to their reports about a pink-haired overseer overseeing from above, baskets filled with heavy potatoes resting on top of fragile glass bottles—evidently someone did a poor job bagging the groceries, and an elf stabbing a scroll to death with his finger and then leaving its corpse on a table. He emits an ominous, almost subsonic growl that would seem threatening to most, but which his teammates would recognize as a contented purr. Rocky knows what to do.

Haerrsk is the undisputed leader when it comes to tracking or inspiring others to battle; Denmuk can intimidate a crowd of foes into telling him everything they know, before decapitating them all; and Kase knows pretty much everything else. But when it comes to sneaking, Rocky is your man. Or rock.

He might not know numbers, or how to read, but he does know that what he can’t read is important, like the constant letters from Sir Ethan, or powerful, like the scrolls associated with those accursed wizards. Immediately he understands that the scroll is the most valuable object here, the key to the knowledge sought by Bishop Bartholomew. He shifts one of his diamonds over the crates to take a cautious peek, then exchanges a glance with Kase; if Rocky could breathe, he would let out a sigh.

The scroll is indeed on a table, which means that it is guarded by the bane of every Terran: air. It would be a relatively simple matter to stealthily palm the scroll were it on the floor, but there is no disguising a column of sand rising up onto a tabletop. Fortunately, Rocky is not alone anymore. He’s part of a team.

“Me hide under floor. Me smash table. Apple fall. Potato fall. Make big yuck. You take scroll. They not see.” In a surprisingly quiet whisper the elemental explains his plan, though he isn’t very clear on exactly who ‘you’ is, other than it won’t be him: his strength lies in the ground. He will let someone else lead the aerial assault.

After the others have worked out the finer details for his crude proposal, Rocky again melts, becoming a fine, gray pile of sand that sifts through the cracks in the floor. He silently roams about the crawl space below, feeling and gauging the weight distributions of the tables and shelves above. Eventually he finds a suitable candidate: a great tower of shelves, overflowing with baskets and crates and fruit and vegetables and who knows what else, not too close to the table with the scroll, but not too far away, and most importantly, with a small crack running underneath its legs.

Grain by grain, the elemental stealthily slides into the crack. His current sandy form is not as strong as his usual denser configuration, but it should be strong enough. Bracing himself, Rocky powers his sand up through the crack, pushing the legs up and over to topple the shelves.

Any Terran would of course feel what Rocky is doing--it would be as obvious as having an elemental walk all over you. But the poor sight-bound creatures of this world would be blind, unable to see the attack from below. They would only hear an odd creaking noise as the shelves begin to teeter, totter, and sway; they would see, with an increasingly alarmed expression upon their faces, as the tilting gains momentum and reaches a critical angle; and finally they would panic, as baskets fall and crates crash open, liberating tumbling fruit and vegetables amidst shards of broken glass.

 

Last edited by ekidnu; Jul 9th, 2021 at 08:33 PM.
  #22  
Old Jul 10th, 2021, 01:11 AM
Born of Monsters's Avatar
Born of Monsters Born of Monsters is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 25th, 2021
RPXP: 1167
Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters
Posts: 83
The cult's heartFor the first time since approaching the market, her squad was back together. Well, except for wherever the ogre-kin had gotten himself off to. Knowing Menasse, he probably found someone selling liquor and is adventuring to the bottom of a bottle instead of doing his part. But this was no time for a happy reunion otherwise; they were in the belly of the cult's hideout.

Haerrsk listened to Rocky's plan. Simple though his language might be, it was sound strategy. Distract the cultists and seize what they needed amidst the confusion. "If one of you can grab that scroll of the table," she whispered conspiratorially as she loosened the cinch on her rope, "I'll get the elf." She grinned, toothy and wide.

Unfortunately, her suggestion prompted a brief conference of opinions, and the overwhelming belief was that hogtying the elf and dragging him back to the bishop would provide insight into the cult's activities. However, it would not be subtle, might risk blowing their cover as operatives for the bishop, and could lead to complications if anyone saw a gnoll carrying a squirming, crying elf through the streets. "He doesn't have to be conscious," she protested, but the entrails had already fallen. If nothing else, her allies assured her, blatant kidnapping was almost certainly across the line of lawbreaking they were to avoid. "Ugh, fine," Haerrsk begrudgingly assented. I'm starting to miss when the Company just sent me to kill monsters. "I'll bring back those bottles instead. If there's no objection that that?"

And there was not. "We each do our part then. Distractions. Scroll. Bottles. Whatever else presents itself safely. Regroup at the chapel if we're drawn apart."

Haerrsk had watched the cult move the baskets and crates filled with foodstuffs -- and something else -- around the room, and so had a fairly good idea how much they weighed. Which was not much, not compared to what she could lift at any rate. However, a container of clinking glass bottles is not a thing of subtlety. And if she simply carried a crate back outside, that would leave her unable to claw or bite any imminent threats. Or run them through on her spear. But since I was already getting this rope ready to use...

She had yet to provide the tribe with a cub of her own, but Haerrsk was certainly familiar with the rope work the tribe's caretakers used to harness infants to their back, when they were needed on the hunt. If these knots can keep a gnoll pup safe and secure, she reasoned, there's no reason they won't work to keep a basket of bottles in place, safe, and quiet. She brushed her hand against the side of her face and felt the dried dye begin to flake away. It was still an artistic and intimidating display, surely, but its ability to sharpen her mind had faded. There was not time, and this was not the place, to dig into the dye pot again. But she would not need it.

Across the room, a cacophony of cracking wood and breaking glass announced that Rocky had begun his part of the plan. With practiced stealth, keeping to the dark corners, she made her way to a crate of vegetables that had been left unattended in the chaos. After taking only a moment to ensure that the red liquid cargo was safely hidden beneath, she knelt behind her prize, slipping the box into the rope harness and cinching it tight to her back. It was certainly awkward, and fighting like this, she wouldn't be at her best. But it was quiet enough, and kept her hands free.

She glanced across the chamber, and caught momentary sight of the elf. We should be taking him back instead. But that wasn't the plan. Laden with produce and mysteries, Haerrsk slipped away into the shadows, wending her way back out of the warehouse and back to the Chapel of Saint Cornseer.

MechanicsAction = Steal a box of bottled red liquid (and the vegetables it rode in with), using her AG rope to make it easier to move the container safely and quietly. This is all kinds of physical activity, so this check is roll-low.
Dice Roll:
2D6 5, 4 Total = 9


Three successes. Stealthy gnoll is stealthy.

Stat block
  • Name: Haerrsk
  • Race: Gnoll
  • Character Number: 5
  • Adventuring Gear
    • Spear: Look, sometimes you don't want to put your claws in something, much less bite it. Also, it turns out that other people take you more seriously when you're waving a pointy stick about. Absolutely not an heirloom or ancient relic though. Whatever prey-brain started the idea that old weapons were automatically good weapons... clearly hadn't used many weapons.
    • Hunter's dye: This canister of suspiciously red-ochre paste is refilled each time she meets back up with her tribe. What? Of course there's blood mixed into it! The tribe's dye is maintained in a sacred vat over years and generations. So there's blood in there from the tribe's Great Hunts, and the heartblood of fallen tribemates worth remembering. There's a little bit of her aunt in the tribe's dye now, and Haerrsk couldn't be more proud.
    • Rope: Since becoming an adventurer, Haerrsk has traded in her length of sisal for a good 150 hands of that silk stuff. She might be slowly acclimating to more civilized life, but the idea that people go adventure through caves and canyons without knowing their way around a length of rope hurts her head to think about. Exactly where those elves got this much silk does too, honestly, but it sure is good rope.
  • Signature Moves
    • Finder's Focus: When you're looking for something specific -- the prey you're tracking, or even just that ritual necklace you haven't needed since last season when you put it somewhere real safe -- you get a good clawtip of that dye. Mark the fur next to your eyes, and run a little line down your muzzle. Nothing helps better for finding what you're after. The dye-keeper says it's the spirits in the blood, lending you their strength. Might just be what the stuff smells like that gives you some motivation to find what you're after. You can mark up a packmate if they don't have their own dye, though its always better to have your own. No idea if it does anything for humans and such, since none of them have blood in the vat, except maybe as prey.
    • Hunt As One: Okay, yes. All the "secret technique of the hunt-leaders" consists of is giving a good battle cry while pointing something sharp at the quarry. There's still a lot of art to it. Good battle cries aren't just howling and screaming, or else everyone could give them. Anyway, bringing down big monsters isn't like hunting rabbits. Sure, there's nothing wrong with rushing in with the pointy-end forward. But sometimes you go a lot further encouraging everyone else to do that first. Really brings the world into focus for them. Even humans and elves and whatnot, anyone that's fighting at your side. Gives them funny tingly feelings, too, or so I've heard.
__________________
Player pronouns: She/her. Character pronouns may vary.

Last edited by Born of Monsters; Jul 10th, 2021 at 01:12 AM.
  #23  
Old Jul 10th, 2021, 02:30 AM
AnotherDragoon's Avatar
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon is online now
Down & Dirty Dragoonie
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 2nd, 2021
RPXP: 16933
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Posts: 4,052
Randomized algorithms
right-aligned image
As the potatoes fell Kase-13 was there to record what waited below. The red liquid would need analyzing before any conclusions could be made but, he saved an image of the bottles and their position in the warehouse. Likely, they were wine for some unknown ceremony but one never knew. Glass bottles could house all sorts of concoctions, especially in this particular dimension.

The android's sensors landed on a stack of crates that would provide sufficient cover for him and his team to reconvene and share data. He quietly made his way over and waited for the others. Rocky, Haerrsk, and Demmuk found their way to him eventually. They all had information to share.

A light from his left eye produced an image of the red bottles against the backdrop of a rough wooden crate. "They are hiding these. The liquid will require further analysis but, it is highly suspect. A sample would be welcome." He blinked the projection away and listened to the others. Everyone had data to share it seemed.

The paper would be supremely valuable. Any documentation would be a top priority. There seemed to be at least two administrators over the programs currently running and minimal security protocols. They were confident in their operations which alluded to something else. The guard from before, were they involved? Surely they would witness an operation like this develop. One thing Kase had observed across the multiverse was that people were susceptible to corruption. And there was always something seeking a way past the firewalls.

>>Playback... Dr. Hiroyuki Ginrou . On data sharing... <<
>>>Transpanency and openness are integral to the scientific method. The more eyes we can get on any given theorem, the easier it will be to quantify. Peer review is crucial to understanding. But, there are those out there who would steal research and publish it as their own. We must always be careful who we trust, Kase. <<<


He trusted these Companions. They have proved themselves countless times. Anyone out for a quick and easy way to the top would not be in this business, too much personal risk and moderate recognition. No, his data was safe in the hands of these few gathered behind the crates.

Rocky had a plan. As expected, the elemental was practical and straight to the point. He was downright dependable and that was one of the things that Kase like about him. So, he would make some noise and cause a distraction. Not subtle. Then, they could retrieve the data and take it to the Bishop. Subtle.

It was a good plan. Haerrsk agreed to grab some of the odd liquid after proposing the abduction of one of the administrators. "Too risky, too much noise and he might just deny everything." Kase explained. The data was certain, information is universally true. "I will take the hard copy left behind by the elf." The android proclaimed before Rocky dissolved into the cracks.

Kase-13 waited, hidden behind the crates until he heard the groaning and creaking of a shelf across the room. He watched it slowly tilt as the heads of workers turned. Then, just as it tipped he made his move.

His footsteps were light and covered by the sound of crashing boxes, baskets, produce, and contraband as he made his way to the table to take the scroll. Kase grabbed the data and stuffed it into his jacket as he turned and casually walked back out the door he came in.

One thing he learned from the Companions was that if you looked like you belonged somewhere then people were less likely to question you. The android strolled away from the warehouse that was erupting in a flurry of activity like he just bought the place. He smiled and tried to whistle but with no breath it proved difficult...


 


Stat Block
Name: Kase 13 the wanderer
Race: (6) Android
CN: (3)
Gear:
  1. Deimos Blade: A one-handed titanium alloy sword with a monomolecular filament edge.
  2. Omnitool Hephaestus: A versatile tool stored in his left forearm used for assembly, disassembly, and repairs among other things.
  3. Gnosis Drive: A small cube located in his head that contains the Advanced Situational Awareness and Perception field which governs Advanced Protocols.
Signature Moves:
  1. Kill Mode Active: When a hostile entity is detected his violence inhibitors can be deactivated granting access to multiple combat procedures.
  2. Advanced Protocols (Spellcasting): The A.S.A.P. field allows the Gnosis Drive to run Advanced Protocols.
Known Spells:
  1. Promethean Beam: (Damage) A concentrated energy beam emitted from a small lens concealed in his forehead.
  2. Nanite Swarm Panacea: (Healing) A small swarm of minuscule robots deployed from his hands capable of repairing both organic and inorganic materials.
__________________
Thank you, anonymous benevolent benefactor!│I have taken the oath.│ “Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.”
-Kurt Vonnegut

Last edited by AnotherDragoon; Jul 10th, 2021 at 02:34 AM.
  #24  
Old Jul 10th, 2021, 04:37 AM
BlackDragon0's Avatar
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 is offline
BlackDragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 1st, 2021
RPXP: 676
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
Posts: 502
????
As everyone suddenly went back to the crates.( As if talking so near the same people they just spied on. By watching and listening was safe. Really if we could hear them they can hear us.) He thought. ( Well this is not his area of expertise. So he'll go along.)

So he pulled out his journal (Ag) and wrote and drew everything in detail as each member spoke. [Cause really he had nothing else to do. At least there'd be details of everything.]

He told everyone what he saw. And said they should capture the elf he could interrogate him. But was denied. So as not to go against the others he chose not to do so. After all he was sent as back up, not to lead the team. The others made plans. All he could do was take notes.

Each member in turn seemed to be successful so Demmuk stored his book and walked out the way he had come in. The others followed with the items they took. And they all headed to report to the Bishop.

As all samurai are trained as scribes all Demmuk could hope was that he had learned well in his studies. Well enough to have been of help to the mission. As it is Demmuk always put his heart and soul into everything he dose, it's the way of the samurai.



 


oocDemmuk's journal (Ag) now has directions to the warehouse, descriptions of all those seen, drawings of everything ( including the pink haired woman), and detailed notes of everything said by the enemy.


statsName: Demmuk
Class: Samurai ( dual wield/ Swordsmaster)
Race: Dragonborn
CN: 5
Ag: 2 katanas.( samurai swords in which he has trained for years. Are an extension of him self and used together.)
Ag:Journal with everything he has come across in this travels. Creatures, maps, people, towns ect.
Ag: Kimono which helps him blend in anywhere from traveling in the wilds to ballrooms with lords.

SM1: Sword dance. A whirlwind sword attack that hits multiple targets until all are dead or a miss.

SM2: Dragon intimidation. Demmuk's red outlines on his black scales glow as flames surround his jaw his eyes narrow with a glowing flame like appearance. Causing great fear in his enemies, such as if they were being chased by a huge red dragon.
(aided by his kimono which also has designs that glow red to add to the effect)
__________________
" Dragons who fly alone, Die alone!"

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Jul 10th, 2021 at 04:59 AM.
  #25  
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 11:03 PM
Imveros's Avatar
Imveros Imveros is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 2nd, 2021
RPXP: 42023
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Posts: 11,360
The Market
right-aligned image
The elf and several workers rushed over to the toppled shelves, doing their best to gather and reorganize the baskets. Rocky noticed that each of the upturned containers had wrapped packages of varying sizes hidden inside.

The android took this moment to slink out from hiding to grab the scroll. Kase snatched the paper, sneaking a glimpse as he returned to the shadows. It was a list of some kind, but it was in a strange language, or possibly a code? The only thing he could make out was a hand-scrawled map leading to the governor's estate with two thousand circled multiple times.

Haerrsk snatched a basket of oranges with a slender glass neck hiding between two ripe fruits. She crouched behind a crate as the elf returned to the table. "I could have sworn I left it here." He said as he looked under the table and patted down his vest pockets. "Bah, dont need it anymore anyway. Everything is here already." He moved to the center of the room.

"Ok, it's all here. Let's move out. Remember, not a word to anyone! This only works if we get the jump on them!" He waved his hand in a circle over his head, and the group left one by one out various exits, Demmuk scribbling descriptions of each of the perpetrators furiously into his journal.

Tonight, something big would happen in the estate of Governor Brick. The estate was not far from the markets and was sizable. Governor Brick was one of the cities co-founders from many years ago. People in town generally still loved him, but nowadays, that reputation was shifting to eccentric lunatic. This had to be the information Bishop Bartholomew was after, and now it was time for the Crossing Companions to return and report on what they had found.



OODMNot only did you find the information you were after, but you did so without the cultists knowing you know. Two bonus points for everyone!

It was a pleasure working with you all. Good luck with your judgments!!!

OOC
Judging results
PlayerCharacterMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridayTotal
ekidnuRocky2222412
Born of MonstersHaerrsk2202410
AnotherDragoonKase-13012148
BlackDragon0Demmuk012148
__________________
Outplay 2021 is live. Come cheer on your favorite guild member!
Join the RPGX caption contest! *Your witty text here*
Have you heard that we have an unofficial Discord server? Come say hi!
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:45 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB