Requesting help with political plot - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Feedback & User Resources > Gaming Advice > GM/DM Screen > Plotlines section
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2017, 06:02 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 519
figtickler figtickler figtickler figtickler figtickler figtickler
Requesting help with political plot

Hello all! I've been running a home game for almost a year now and I'm looking for some assistance tying together this plot I have planned. There's lots of little pieces, but I'm considering scrapping them as they have proven to complicate things more. Here is the general gist:

BackstoryThe elected primarch, Modroc, of a major dwarven city, Hull, was found dead on his coronation day. The investigation concluded that he died of natural causes but he was known to be in good health prior to his death. His predecessor, Yemena, must take up the position of primarch once again though she has grown tired of the position and doesn't wish to serve another full 17-year term. Due to a loophole in the law, if it is found that Modroc was assassinated, another election can be held and Yemena can leave the primarch seat. She asks the party to conduct their own investigation.

During the campaign season, the other candidates backed down quite a bit. This is not uncommon if a clear winner is at hand, but even so, it's expected that you at least act like you believe you can win. Because of this, the revelry of the election was lessened, much to the grump of the tavern owners. It roused people in the city to go to taverns and discuss politics with their friends, and most importantly, drink heavily. Election cycles were built up to for years beforehand. This particular one was not as boisterous as previous ones.

My initial plan was to have Modroc assassinated with a poisoned needle sewn into his coronation mantel (like a cloak, but fancy). The party would go to the other candidates and investigate why they backed down on their campaigns with various answers for each. One is related to a member of a thieves guild (and also a close friend to a party member) and they worried that their connection would hurt their political career. I wanted to incorporate that into Modroc's assassination.

There's also some bits about Modroc planning to marry a lower-class person after he gets into office and how this upset members of the counsel, particularly Yemena's father-in-law (I know, it's way too complicated).

Any suggestions on how to make this close up neatly but still have a level of intrigue to it?
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 02:30 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 283
Kaylana Kaylana Kaylana
It doesn't sound too complicated at all, it's a healthy level of intrigue in my opinion. Having multiple moving parts and red herrings is typical of a murder mystery. Having multiple motives is suspects is what makes it a mystery.

I would steer clear from the obvious father-in-law being the guilty party, simply because the most obvious killer would leave your players feeling underwhelmed upon discovery.

I think it would be even more interesting if his assassin was someone who purportedly supported Modroc's election, someone who was close to him and maybe he thought of as a trusted friend, very much like a Julius Caesar betrayal. Someone who might not even be a suspect at first, but weird coincidences or behavior may lead the party to investigate in that direction.

Maybe it could have been Modroc's secretary, or running mate, or even best friend. The motive behind it can be something as petty as "he works me too hard" or he "had an affair and I'm a jealous lover of his" or something even from childhood, a long cold game of vengeance from something that happened long before there even was the idea of an election.

Make the motive a surprise, that is what I would recommend.
Old Oct 23rd, 2017, 03:56 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 519
figtickler figtickler figtickler figtickler figtickler figtickler
It's funny you mention it possibly being his secretary as I was planning on that person being his fiance. Your suggestions are really helpful!
Old Oct 24th, 2017, 10:55 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 283
Kaylana Kaylana Kaylana
Glad I could help give ideas, you'll have to post here how the plot turns out because I'm really intrigued, lol
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 02:04 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 79
Stranger Things
You may also put out a conspiracy theory that it was the tavern guild paying an assassin so the election could be repeated with a better outcome.
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 02:51 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39392
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Moderator note- The original poster has been off-site for over a year. Thread closed.
Closed Thread