RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jul 14th, 2021, 01:31 AM
Simply Doomed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2590
Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf
La Résistance

Game NameLa Résistance
Game SystemCall of Cthulhu
ThemeFrench Resistance Vs The Occupation And Eldritch Horrors
FlavourSandbox, Eldritch Horror, War
Plot Summary
NameLa Résistance
Elevator PitchYou are in the French Resistance. Your mission is to resist and harass the occupying force with whatever means you can find or are brave enough to use.

DescriptionParis, January 1st, 1942. World War Two is in full swing and Germany has occupied Northern France and created Vichy France, the supposed Free French state loyal to the Germans. Its the New Year but it doesn't look to be an improvement over the last one. German forces have secured their hold upon Paris and have settled in for a long stay. You have resolved to join the French Underground, hopefully to one day see the end of the war and a truly free France!. You've joined one of the French Resistance cells run by a man called René Dubios. Dubios runs a small bakery that serves as a front for his Resistance activities, as this means he has a plausible excuse to travel the city and accept deliveries at all hours of the night. He's officially “hired” you as one of his staff to help run the bakery and further solidify the cover of his front. From here, you will fight the Germans with all you have!

Background1942 is an interesting year for France. At this stage having been under German Occupation for around a year and a half, the situation looks rather grim. Despite that, the French Resistance is actually booming. Britain and its allies have made major strides over the last eighteen months in helping the fledgling resistance and by the start of the start of 1942 there are multiple agencies and fronts channelling supplies through to France. They've set up various radio communications points and even sent personnel in to help train the resistance forces. Along side this, De Gaulle has set up the BCRA, or the Bureau Central de Renseignements et d'Action (Central Bureau of Intelligence and Operations), to broadcast directly to the French resistance and offer them direct support and coordination. The Resistance have also been doing a decent bit of damage by themselves to the occupation, through running intelligence to the Allies, economic damage and guerilla hit and run attacks and assassinations. Alongside these attacks, the Resistance also runs an underground propaganda and news distribution network in an attempt to sway public opinion against the Germans and show the public the true face of the occupiers.

Unfortunately, there is also a lot going against the Resistance at the beginning of 1942. The German occupying forces now have the legal power to “disappear” a person who is found helping or committing resistance against any occupation forces, shipping them back to Germany to never be seen again. The Gestapo are everywhere, and there is a near constant threat in the resistance of double agents and turncoats. The Gestapo are also ruthless in their handling of regular civilians. Look like you're waiting around too long, or don't have one of small library of documents you are required to have on you? They have a small cell with your name on it for you and a list of questions to go with it. But its not just the Germans that work against the Resistance, but the Resistance themselves are also fighting one another. At this point and time, the Resistance aren't a homogeneous fighting force and while there are some attempts at unifying them, that won't happen until much later in the war. For now, the main split is between those that support De Gaulle and his Free France government, and those that don't.

Game Details and ExpectationsYou may notice that through the background and description I've not mentioned the occult or eldritch horrors once. This is because, initially, your characters know nothing about the true nature of the world. They may have heard stories, myths, legends and the like, but they don't know anything concrete. Part of this game will be them finding out about the eldritch horrors that exist, and the power they offer. The players for the most part should be concerned initially with just dealing with running and exisiting within the Underground but also then soon dealing with the knowledge and threats the mythos brings into the fold as well as the Occupying force.

As for the game itself, I'm aiming for a GM post at least once a week or thereabouts and expect player posting to be the same. We live in weird and wonderful times so I can't reasonably ask for or give more than that. If you've never played Call of Cthulhu before, don't worry about it and still feel free to throw your hat in. Its a simple enough system, based off percentile dice. The few weirder systems in place (mostly sanity and anything to do with the actual mythos) are also rather simple in nature and can be explained when we get to them.

The other thing is tone. Its wartime, its a horror game, and its dealing with the WWII Germany. By its nature this will be a darker game but I don't expect or want it to turn into a gorefest or a dark void of Nihilism from which the depths of ones soul gets crushed. Comedy and wackier characters are welcome to offset the darker tones that we'll no doubt hit, that being said try and avoid becoming "The Day the Clown Cried"

Dungeon MasterPreacherwolf – I've been an eternal tabletop DM for about ten years, mostly playing D&D, Pathfinder and Shadowrun. This will be my third time running a play-by-post game because I’m demonstrably insane and have no self-control. Personally, I think combat is the most boring part of RPG’s and that the most rewarding parts of the game come from outside of combat.

Characters Character's will be made as mostly per the book, see below for the actual mechanics of it (Do not roll anything in this thread). If you don't own/have a copy of the rulebook, I can suggest/create an occupation that matches what you want and the skills that come along with it. But the long and the short of it is, your character can come from any background or walk of life, just remember that the game is set in Paris, 1942. So backgrounds and occupations should match and your character knows nothing about the mythos or occult nature of the world apart from myths and stories.

ApplicationName: Self-Explanatory
Description: What does your character look like, a picture would be much appreciated
Background: What does you character do? How has the occupation changed?
Your Reason For Joining The Resistance: What was the impetuous for you joining?
What do you, the player, want: What do you the player want out of this game?

Deadline10pm, 30th of July, Australian Eastern Standard Time

Last edited by Preacherwolf; Jul 14th, 2021 at 01:32 AM.
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 01:32 AM
Simply Doomed

Tools
User Statistics
Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf
Reserved
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 01:44 AM
Chicane dans ta cabane

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7826
Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra
This looks interesting! I've always wanted to try Call of Cthulhu.

Placeholder pour une jeune mademoiselle from some small village somewhere
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 02:40 AM
Chicane dans ta cabane

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7826
Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra
Question: Which book are you using? There's apparently a "World War Cthulhu" book that's out of print. Is it that?
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 02:52 AM
Simply Doomed

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra View Post
Question: Which book are you using? There's apparently a "World War Cthulhu" book that's out of print. Is it that?
I didn't even know that was a thing. I'm just using the Sixth edition rulebook, with no extras
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 11:26 AM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
mrunicornman1998
I have been on a Call of Cthulhu binge recently so this game is just calling my name! Application to come!
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 03:58 PM
Mature-ish Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4416
Talkin Talkin Talkin Talkin Talkin Talkin Talkin Talkin Talkin Talkin Talkin
Oooh, I am very tempted, but am probably overcommitted with ongoing games at the moment. I will have to think on this. At any rate, great choice in setting this up, it sounds fun.

As an additional FYI, there is a system (which is currently in print) called Achtung Cthulhu for mythos games set during WWII. It is a bit “pulpier” than CoC 6e, in the sense that there are more ways to solve problems with a Thompson sub-machine gun than in some of the more “cerebral” or “investigative” game systems, where you are almost guaranteed to die if you try to shoot it out with Mythos creatures.
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 07:24 PM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
anast
I'm interested in playing an old (50 to 60 ish) bookstore owner. If you still have openings of course.

Last edited by anast; Jul 15th, 2021 at 07:26 PM.
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 08:01 PM
rawr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2752
Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23
Any reason you're going with 6th Ed and not 7th?

Playing: Snick-R-DDL-2, Troubleshooter. Running: The First Mask (Cthulhu Zero)
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 09:05 PM
Simply Doomed

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming23 View Post
Any reason you're going with 6th Ed and not 7th?
Mostly because that's the edition I'm familiar with and have access to

Quote:
Originally Posted by anast View Post
I'm interested in playing an old (50 to 60 ish) bookstore owner. If you still have openings of course.
Well given there aren't any actual applications yet and there's still two weeks before I close applications I think their might be some room left
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 07:29 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 221
Palliven Palliven Palliven
I'm familiar with 7th edition but hear there is little core differences between the two. I'll work on application and submit shortly.
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 02:17 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 221
Palliven Palliven Palliven
Name: Bernard Allemand
Occupation: prior to the occupation he was a welder who worked repairing ships at the port city of Toulon. He now works for a landlord keeping buildings in repair so they are in just good condition to avoid being fined.

Description: Tall with a frame some might call gangly. Wiry muscles and caloused hands from years of manual labor. He keeps his chestnut hair cut short and under a grey wool cap despite how it highlights his large ears. He is quick to smile and tends to see the good in most situations. A very hands on and pragmatic man, it is not in his nature to worry about the little setbacks in life.

Background: His family has called Toulon home for generations and he grew up in a modest but happy home. The middle child of five, he has never married but loves being 'Uncle Bern' to his many nieces and nephews. While he makes his living with his hands, he has a passion for reading and a curiosity to learn. He views himself as a self taught student of life and doesn't regret his lack of formal education. Having left Toulon in anticipation of trouble he found himself unable to find good employment or a place to stay for some time. It was just when his funds were about run out he found himself current job.

Reasons for Joining the Resistance: A proud frenchman whose grandmother was a German maidservant who immigrated to Toulon after WWI, he feels guilty about the occupation of France. It was from her urging that he left Toulon as the family feared it would soon be occupied and he would be conscripted due to his age and ancestory. He fears for his family's safety and how Toulon could be ruined by an occupation. He longs to return home and believes by being a part of the resistance he can make that happen sooner.

What do you, the player, want:I am looking for a game with some atmosphere and depth , one where I can grow my character's personality and feel like he is unique and not just a collection of stats and skills. Hoping to be in a group that enjoys playing together and can play off each other. A good pace that allows for story development and tension without long gaps of silence.

Last edited by Palliven; Jul 16th, 2021 at 02:18 PM.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 09:53 AM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
mrunicornman1998
Name: Francisco Gabriel Velez

Description: Francisco carries himself with a sense of military straightness even though he has been out of the service for almost 30 years. He comes in just an inch or two short of six-foot, with well-kept short black hair, and a clean-shaven face, habits he never quite lost from his time in the service. He favors his right leg, as his left leg still hurts from time to time. He often wears simple clothes typically covered by his always-present apron.

Background: Francisco was born in 1892 to two Spanish Immigrants, and while they instilled a sense of pride in his heritage, from a very young age Francisco was an incredibly patriotic young man. As he grew up his father was able to support his family by running a café in the space underneath their modest apartment. By the age of 6 it was not uncommon for Francisco to be behind the counter, greeting customers in Spanish or French, helping out his father whenever things got busy. As he grew up, he learned more and more of the business, and soon there was no doubt that Francisco would one day take over the café for his parents, and keep their legacy going.

However, this simple and peaceful existence was shattered when the Great War broke out in 1914. Despite his parent's attempts to stop him, Francisco was one of the first inline to fight for his country. He served as part of the Second French Army in the 9th Army Division. During his time in these trenches, he fought beside many young countrymen and watched many of them die in order to protect their country from the German advance. Francisco served with honor earning a Croix de Guerre medal during the last month of the Battle of Verdun, the same battle in which he was hurt crossing through barbed wire and into the enemy lines.

After his injury near the end of the Battle of Verdun, Francisco was sent back to his home in Paris, a medal on his chest, the thanks of the French Government, and an injury that would bother him for the rest of his life. The transition back to civilian life was hard for Francisco and military life had left its mark. However, with the support of his parents, and the routine of opening and working the shop, Francisco was soon a staple in the community once again. Soon after his life began to settle, he fell in love with a local girl, got married and had two kids. He raised them like he had been raised, running the store every day for almost thirty years, the same way every day like clockwork.

On the evening of June 14, 1940, Francisco's life changed forever as he and his wife awoke to announcements by German Accented voices via loudspeaker announcing the occupation of Paris by Nazi troops.

Your Reason For Joining The Resistance: I joined the resistance for several reasons, one being that Café Velez and the legacy it represents is currently under threat from people who could care less about it. Second my fellow soldiers and I fought to prevent this exact thing from happening when we were young, hell some of my friends died in those trenches so that Germans would never occupy France, I cannot let them die for nothing.

What do you, the player, want: I hope to be able to dive deep into a system I love, in a setting I love while really fleshing out a character thought consistent interactions and posts!

Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 09:00 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
RazorDawn89
Name: Victor Dupont

Description: A hunched old man with frizzy, graying hair. Befitting his profession, he dresses in a dusty suit coat one size too large and wears horn-rimmed spectacles despite having perfect vision. His easy smile and bright eyes betrays the fact that he has unusual strength for a man his age.

Background: Born in Paris to a family of intellectuals, Victor would always spend his early childhood with a book in his hands, exposing him to the Enlightenment philosophes of France such as Rousseau and Voltaire. Despite being a model student in school, he drew attention for being a prodigious writer for the newspaper L'Humanité as well as a fervent activist for the French Section of the Worker's International. His strong intellect and political ties allowed him to receive a professorship at the Sorbonne University, where he taught philosophy. Too old to be drafted, he watched in horror as many of his students perished in muddy trenches in the Great War. He mellowed down as he grew older, becoming more cynical over time, but he still remained an ardent communist. His life would take a turn for the worse as German tanks raced through the Ardennes and into Paris.

Your Reason for Joining the Resistance: Victor saw many of his fellow professors and students rounded up by the Nazis, so he went into hiding with the support of the French Resistance. For the next year and a half, he witnessed the brutal Nazi occupation as well as an increasing militant communist resistance. Feeling guilty that he couldn't help fight back against the fascists, he's eager to offer his skills to French Resistance in any way.

What do you, the player, want: I've read the COC sourcebook but have never actually played in a game before. I'm fascinated by the horror aspects of COC, and I want to develop a character as he explores a Lovecraftian world.

Last edited by RazorDawn89; Jul 23rd, 2021 at 09:02 AM.