Information Competition rules and rules queries for Outplay 2021 - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > Outplay Arena > Outplay 2021
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jul 5th, 2021, 01:56 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27556
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabadger View Post
Is there a word limit for Round 1 posts?
No
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 12:09 PM
memory collapses time

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25275
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Another day, another question...

If a character casts a blessing on their companions, can that blessing be used by the companions in the same round of posting?
Or do they need to wait until the next day (round) to apply that blessing?
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 12:30 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
If the mechanics were defined (e.g. it gives a BONUS or a 1d6), then it can impact a number of people equal to the number of successes you roll. Anyone affected, if posting after you, can use it that turn. Otherwise, the GM will let you know that the buff is to be used in your next post.
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 02:31 PM
All men perish...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11790
Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv
I am curious what the debuff spell effect is since the GM is making no rolls. Does it grant the party an extra die against the affected party? An auto success? Bonus on a die roll? Something else?
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 03:47 PM
Kinda Machiavellian

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4661
HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel
Can a helping roll be general to the rest of my squad or must it absolutely be directed at one specific character?
Say I use my Blinding Starlight Signature move to distract or attract attention while the others do their thing?
I'm assuming its directed on a single character but I wanted to clarify.
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 03:58 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18887
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
@HellsingsRaziel
We will let Bhelogan pipe in here when he gets a chance of course but.. as a GM and a judge, I see the spirit of the "Helping" die as someone (1) who can actually aid another (1) with a (1) task. Its up to you to make sure the narrative clearly demonstrates that.

In your example, you are essentially asking to use your Blinding Starlight SM as a buff spell... the mechanics of which was asked and answered 'here'.

I hope that helps some. - Savoy

Last edited by savoylen; Jul 5th, 2021 at 04:05 PM.
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 04:01 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18887
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qiksilv View Post
I am curious what the debuff spell effect is since the GM is making no rolls. Does it grant the party an extra die against the affected party? An auto success? Bonus on a die roll? Something else?
Again, just my take so far so take it for what it is worth....

This is were knowing the other character characters and using the PM option might be helpful... that is if you want to optimize/synergize your gameplay on any given day.

Otherwise, you are either potentially depuffing some in-game effect (put there by another player or the environment) or delaying its use until the next posting period... or perhaps trusting/hoping your GM will take that Buff/Debuff into consideration before moderating the outcome.

Last edited by savoylen; Jul 5th, 2021 at 04:06 PM.
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 04:38 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoylen View Post
@HellsingsRaziel
We will let Bhelogan pipe in here when he gets a chance of course but.. as a GM and a judge, I see the spirit of the "Helping" die as someone (1) who can actually aid another (1) with a (1) task. Its up to you to make sure the narrative clearly demonstrates that.

In your example, you are essentially asking to use your Blinding Starlight SM as a buff spell... the mechanics of which was asked and answered 'here'.

Yup, this. So, is your ability you are using directly giving a buff to your allies? If so, everyone who is impacted by the spell (number of successes you roll). If you are using the actual HELP action, then you are aiding one character specifically to give them 1d6. There are situations where this might be a better option to help someone, say if you didn't thave another skill that could grant them a buff of some kind in the given scenario.
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 04:52 PM
Kinda Machiavellian

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4661
HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel
Thought as much.

Cuz it isn't a buff per se. The idea would simply be to use it to distract while the others do what they gotta do.
And in my own description of it I do mention a singular opponent or target so.

Thanks to both of you, just wanted the clarification before I moved forward.

Last edited by HellsingsRaziel; Jul 5th, 2021 at 04:53 PM.
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 06:01 PM
All men perish...

Tools
User Statistics
Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv
Sorry, Savoy. I'm still a little lost. The rules say, "Debuff - A Debuff will affect a group of enemy targets. The effectiveness of the spell will depend on the number of successes on an Outplay Roll." What seems to be missing is what the effect of the spell is.

If I use my "The Power of Allergies - Debuff - Flowers sprout, bloom, and cover everything with a creamy, pink pollen which causes those targeted to suffer a penalty from their sudden bout of allergic reactions.Power of Allergies" spell as an example then I know that if I roll 3 successes (1d6 + 1d6 Spell Focus + 1d6 Spell Known) then it's very effective and my enemies are super sneezy and watery eyed but I don't know what that accomplishes mechanically.

Does it grant my party a extra d6 on their rolls in relation to the enemy affected? Count as successes in whatever the goal was?
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 06:39 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
@Qiksilv - mechanically, it counts as 3 successes towards overcoming the enemies. Similar to a damage spell that is cast and has 3 successes. But, it has a little more utility to it than just damage, since it could be used in a larger number of circumstances. But, it doesn't inherently grant a BONUS or extra 1d6 to your allies, in the same way that a Buff spell would. Granted, a Buff spell does not directly count as success towards overcoming the obstacle at hand. It just makes them easier to get for those benefited by the spell.
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 06:44 PM
All men perish...

Tools
User Statistics
So I could use a debuff as damage or possibly something akin to utility-ish under the right circumstances? Sweet. Thanks, B

Last edited by Qiksilv; Jul 5th, 2021 at 06:45 PM.
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 08:00 AM
Distanced, Socially

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19833
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina

Expecting my first child soon -- expect delays

Last edited by Chrystrom; Jul 6th, 2021 at 08:22 AM.
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 08:52 AM
fundamentally useless

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10122
stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol
I have a quick question: a skill (action) like Perception/Listen/Eavesdrop is considered mental or physical? In other words, are we rolling over or under?

edit: OK I read in the system
Quote:
....noticing something hidden, you want to roll ABOVE your CN
so I'm good

Last edited by stepanxol; Jul 6th, 2021 at 08:54 AM.
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 10:48 AM
All men perish...

Tools
User Statistics
In my post I tried to use my healing spell to influence an attitude instead of healing. If my rolls hadn't been pretty bad would have worked or was the attempt at utility outside the potential of use for a healing spell?