RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jun 12th, 2021, 04:00 PM
Literal Worm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7890
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
Been chipping away at my app and finaly feeling like I'm getting somewhere with it! Just boggling over my spells/signiature moves now!

Think I might even make it in under the word limit this time around XD

Hows it going for everyone else?

Last edited by Wishkamon; Jun 12th, 2021 at 04:02 PM.
Old Jun 12th, 2021, 04:21 PM
Besieged by deadlines

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5112
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
@Wishkamon:
I got the mechanical parts squared away and will now slowly start formulating my character write-up. I have a distinct personality and concept in mind, but I will still have to figure out a few things about my character's backstory and relationship to the adventuring guild. I already tried to find the lore of our current setting in the old Outplay folders, but in older editions there were only threads for the competition rounds, so I didn't really get far. The setting does sound pretty open though, so I'm sure to find something suitable.

Last edited by Mindsiege; Jun 12th, 2021 at 04:21 PM.
Old Jun 12th, 2021, 05:44 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1430
JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy
I'll probably get to reading the earlier Outplay competition rounds to see if I can't osmose the game world, but for now I'm working on staying as setting agnostic as possible. 'High Fantasy World with a recent upsurge in Adventurer's Guilds' is a theme that I can get my head around... might rewatch some anime in the background of this weekend's chores. Following the Q&A thread has also proven helpful in wrapping my head around what the system is and isn't meant to do.
Old Jun 12th, 2021, 06:07 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29126
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
As a veteran from all sides of the Outplay table who isn’t participating this year, let me venture an opinion. You really needn’t worry too much about the world, or continuity with past stories or years. The setting is kept vague so that you can justify just about any background you want, as long as you “come from a kingdom away” or something like that.

Reading past competitions to get a sense of what judges like, and what made winners successful, is a great idea. Reading it for worldbuilding continuity is very likely not worth much mental effort.
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 07:06 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27556
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Wise Words from Wynamoinen!

So, if you haven't gathered, this year's story is running congruent to last year's. There may be some easter eggs thrown in to illude to those events, but you don't need to be familiar with them at all to play this year. Having an interesting character, that grows and develops over the event, good writing, and clear formatting are all more important than following past year's stories.
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 08:54 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27556
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
On another note, it looks very likely that we will have enough completed applications to run 3 full brackets. If this is the case, I will be splitting GM responsibilities with Imveros and savoylen, and fill in for a judge spot in brackets they run.
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 11:49 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 42023
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelogan View Post
...I will be splitting GM responsibilities with Imveros and savoylen, ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bBGhK3Q.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	91353  
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 12:22 AM
Down & Dirty Dragoonie

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16933
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Three groups! That's awesome and a soothing balm to ease the sting of missing out on Sir Ethan/Ether and his magnificent mustache this year while he's busy with some chummers.
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 10:00 AM
a pair of ragged claws

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17337
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
Good luck everyone! I'll just sit on this comfy bench here...
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 10:20 AM
Fork! Knife! Spoon!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22870
Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom
That's looks like a nice comfy bench there UngainlyFool. But did you know that this year Bhelogan got fully reclining, massage chairs for the Judges' lounge? Oh and the beverage service back there...well never mind. Enjoy that bench

+
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 10:53 AM
Literal Worm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7890
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
seems pretty harsh that spectators get benches, judges get recliners and applicants only get a floor tile covered in rusty spikes, but OK...
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 10:57 AM
Swords, not words!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17349
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
my floor tile has a dent in it. so luxe.
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 11:00 AM
Down & Dirty Dragoonie

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16933
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
You guys got tiles?
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 11:16 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29126
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Ungainly is conveniently omitting the fact that that little Outplay badge entitled them to a year of being borne on a palanquin, carried by 8 shorn and oiled GMs; fanned by fronds waved by site newbies (you thought the NPSG was about playing a game? ha!); sniffing perfumes made from exotic ingredients gathered and presented by the bearded Mods riding camels out of the East; and serenaded by songs sung by a trio of Admins.

They squat on a bench to "seem like the rest of you" but don't be fooled. Their reign ends soon!

Last edited by Wynamoinen; Jun 14th, 2021 at 11:17 AM.
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 11:19 AM
a pair of ragged claws

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17337
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
This is not a permanent upgrade?! I've become accustomed to a certain level of pampering!