twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jul 6th, 2021, 10:40 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 241
Mitsuki Mitsuki Mitsuki
@skep and Kenly: Skep decides about the lanterns, you can decide whether that means "the same people Kanly comes from", though in that case it's good to work together. For Kenly, remember you don't command lore over elves, only your crimes and other exiles.

Both of your apps look good!

For everyone else, Thank you for showing interest in the game. I would love to see what you come up with.
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 11:03 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 419
Inlaa Inlaa Inlaa Inlaa Inlaa
Hi! Thanks for reading this application. I've never actually played Fellowship, but I have a lot of experience with Powered by the Apocalypse systems in general.

I'll admit, the writing style I chose isn't my normal writing style, but I started writing about this character... or, uh, characters... and I decided a fairy tale vibe fit the concept best. So, I tried to go with a rhymey, children's book style of writing. You'll see what I mean when you peek at the 'RP Sample.'

Anyway, I'll just let you read on. I've chosen to use the Shattered playbook because it looks so *weird* and fun, and I think I might have made it *too* weird. But... yeah! Take a look!

EDIT: Also, I apologize for being bad at rhymes.

Application
Character Name: The Free Clans of the Weefolk, or 'Weefolk' for short
Playbook: The Shattered

Looks: Spindly limbs, ruddy and earthy skin tones, makeshift clothes, a warband of tiny people and the critters they ride

Agenda:
• Be Brave, Take Risks
• Tell Us Of Your People
• Improve The World Around You
• Pick Up the Pieces - Undo the damage done by villains or disasters.
• Do Right - Stick by your friends and your word, and always do what's right.

3 facts of your people:
• 'Weefolk' are not a singular species, but rather multiple species of lesser fey. Spriggans, brownies, and mites are all called 'weefolk,' and none stand more than a few inches tall. They have a rivalry with pixies, and try to compensate for their lack of wings by taming whatever animals they can find. Squirrels, rabbits, rats, moles, sparrows, and other such woodland critters are all common mounts. A rare few skunks and even badgers have been tamed in the past as well...
• Weefolk can be found on the outskirts of most communities, and also throughout most rural communities. However, few people ever actually see them, as they prefer to remain hidden (and are quite good at that!). They keep houses clean and tidy, and they'll keep bad spirits and snakes away. In return, the weefolk will take scraps of food and loose bits and bobs to make their own equipment with. If your sewing needles, socks, or loose coins go missing, chances are they've been repurposed as weapons, clothes, and armor for the weefolk!
• Promises and oaths are extremely important to the weefolk. They'll honor any promise they make, even if it takes generations of weefolk to do so, and the little fellows don't make promises lightly as a result. Of course, this means that earning the ire of the weefolk will have repercussions for generations as well; more than one farmer's family has been cursed for generations with seemingly bad luck because their ignorant children accidentally squished one of the weefolk while roughhousing...

Stats:
Your boiling veins, your burning passion, your bloodline, your burning need to protect your friends and family. Blood means power, ferocity, loyalty, rage, and passion. Blood is used for feats of physical strength, combat prowess, and your capacity to protect yourself and others.Blood0
Your inner strength, your force of will, your tenacity, your brilliant shining soul. Courage determines your ability to stand proud, face death in the eye, and keep on trucking, no matter how bad things get. Courage is used to stand up for what matters and inspire others to your causeCourage+2
Your style, your talent, your artistry, your beauty. Grace is all about looking good, being cool, and acting with skill and agility. Grace is used to perform spectacular acts, trick others, avoid danger, and show off.Grace+2
Your wits, your etiquette, your logical ability, your eyes and ears. Sense is about keeping track of the world around you, analyzing it in a logical and sensible manner, and working from a well-reasoned perspective. Sense is used to discern the realities all around you, keeping you informed in all situations.Sense+1
Your knowledge, your experience, your cultural relations, your tact and kindness. Wisdom is all about doing the right thing, at the right time, in the right way, and knowing that you did good, kid. Wisdom is used to make friends, tell us what's what, and get what you want without being rude about it.Wisdom-1
Gear:
The Weefolk count as a simple weapon (melee).
The Weefolk have tamed a Salamander (see Bonds).
Food (3 uses)
An unusual medkit (Healing, Slow, 2 uses)

Extra Parts: (See 'Sum of Your Parts' move.)
[X] Blade Part: You attach something sharp, like claws or a sword. This is a weapon with Melee, Piercing, 1 Use.
[X] Heart Part: You attach redundant pieces, like a spare heart or extra arms. This part is Healing (Self Only), 1 Use.
[X] Weird Part: You attach something useful, like wings or magnets. This part is Useful, 1 Use.

Bonds:
A small lizard friend that can spit fire to defend itself.Salamander (1 Bond) - Spitfire [ ], Wall Crawler [ ]

Moves:

What is a Shattered? You are several small units that work together: five goblins in a trench coat, or a sentient swarm of bugs or rats, or a squad of toy soldiers. Your something extra is new recruits. You can easily find like-minded units to add to your ranks within any community, filling back up to your limit.

You count as a Group, which means you can act against two threats at once with a single move, and you can deal damage to Groups or Gangs or swarms without needing the Area or Dangerous tags.
Platoon

Core moves:
Your body is hardened, resistant to damage. You are (Armor, 1 Use), and you can Use this armor to protect either yourself or someone within arm's reach.

When you heal, you restore your one Use of this armor.
Bulletproof
You are capable of falling to pieces and coming back together again. Detached pieces of you re-attach easily, and lost pieces can be replaced by finding similar materials to your body (ie; flesh for flesh, stone for stone, etc). What you can attach depends on What Is The Shattered.

When you attach something extra to your body, beyond what you normally have, choose one of the benefits below. You can only have one of each extra part attached to you at a time. Mark a part when you have it, and erase the mark to show you've spent it.

[ ] Blade Part: You attach something sharp, like claws or a sword. This is a weapon with Melee, Piercing, 1 Use.
[ ] Heart Part: You attach redundant pieces, like a spare heart or extra arms. This part is Healing (Self Only), 1 Use.
[ ] Weird Part: You attach something useful, like wings or magnets. This part is Useful, 1 Use.

When you Use one of your extra parts, it is destroyed.

You begin the game with one of each extra part already attached.

When you Recover, you may attach one of each extra part.
Sum of Your Parts

Custom Moves:
Take a Custom Move from any basic playbook. You may also take an Agenda from the chosen playbook. This Move cannot be Shared.Broken History - Halfling Playbook
You are never in Despair when rolling Courage, even if it is damaged. This move cannot be Shared.The Courage of Halflings
When you put yourself in harm's way, you can Overcome with +Courage instead of +Blood. If you do, none of your allies needs to Overcome the same harm - you take the entire hit for them, regardless of your roll.Take the Hit

Other Notes
The incomplete Weefolk dictionary:

RP Sample:

Last edited by Inlaa; Jul 6th, 2021 at 12:18 PM.
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 02:13 PM
Wayward Zephyr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5526
kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsuki View Post
@skep and Kenly: Skep decides about the lanterns, you can decide whether that means "the same people Kanly comes from", though in that case it's good to work together. For Kenly, remember you don't command lore over elves, only your crimes and other exiles.

Both of your apps look good!

For everyone else, Thank you for showing interest in the game. I would love to see what you come up with.
@skep
As Mitsuki pointed out, neither of us actually get to spout lore about our base race of Elves. You get to makeup Lantern Lore and I get to makeup Exile lore. Neither of us is I.E. using the Elf playbook.the paragon of Elvishness and therefore general elven lore is neither our right nor our responsibility.

@Mitsuki
Yep, mostly what little lore I have in there is as a place holder until we get someone actually using the Elf playbook and as a minimally functional background if we don't. If someone does play The Elf, I am more than happy to alter my background to fit the lore they establish.

@Inlaa
What a delightful Wee conclave! Puts me to mind of Dave the gnome and the wee folk of Terry Pratchett's Diskworld.

Last edited by kanly; Jul 6th, 2021 at 03:00 PM.
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 03:46 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 419
Inlaa Inlaa Inlaa Inlaa Inlaa
@Kanly

Discworld was an inspiration among others!
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 09:39 PM
Old Fashioned, please

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6759
Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep
Yep, okay Kanly, maybe we made this harder for ourselves than it had to be. But it'll be worth it.

I updated my app with a more thorough backstory that should be fairly focused on the Lanterns themselves, and separate from Elfdom.
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 11:54 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2121
Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum
Still reading through the rules but am veery interested..

Could I play the extradimensional spider? Feels like a good comedic choice. Basically Shelob from the LotR movies pretending to be a space-faring version her mother Ungoliant from the books.

Either with the Tauric subtype or the Approximate knowledge of many things (Free Ride) could become the sentient transportation for the party..

If a gigantic megalomaniac tarantula feels too evil then I'll write up an ogre, but forget about any free rides.
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 01:37 PM
Wayward Zephyr

Tools
User Statistics
@Ursinorum
That's funny since the "Free Ride" option is originally the Ogre's.
Although I can't speak for anyone else, I have no problems with a giant arachnid in the group. They have a lot of nice moves and some really cool gear.
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 02:07 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum
eheh ye, the Approximate knowledge of many things makes you copy someone else's move. I'm undecided between the extra-dimentional spider with AKoMT or the Tauren with Silver Tongue.

The extra dimensional has a buff when people ask Speak Softly to you, while the Silver tongue has the same buff when you ask Speak Softly with another, I think that's the difference..

Last edited by Ursinorum; Jul 8th, 2021 at 02:17 PM.
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 02:32 PM
Old Fashioned, please

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6759
Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep
The way I interpret the playbook, the Extra-Dimensional lie is more meant for creating lies about yourself and hiding your intentions, whereas the Silver Tongue lie is broader in scope and is probably better for actually manipulating people. Maybe that will help you lean in one direction or the other.

Anyway, Kirithwyn is far too proud to ride atop anything sentient, but she is not too proud to have a spider-friend. I say go for it.
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 02:39 PM
Wayward Zephyr

Tools
User Statistics
I don't know if I agree with Skep since extra-dimensional doesn't actually specify any limitations on the lies. My interpretation is basically, do you want to be proactive or reactive with your lies. Though it is ultimately up to Mitsuki to make that sort of a call.
Of course, since you get to choose 2 moves you could do the extra-dimensional spider with AKoMT and Silver Tongue to be the big ridey spider who lies ALL the Freakin' Time!

Last edited by kanly; Jul 8th, 2021 at 02:48 PM.
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 03:30 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Oh, there's nothing keeping me from "Weaver" and its "infinite silk", that's why I have to choose (amd understand) the kind of lie I want
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 04:01 PM
Wayward Zephyr

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursinorum View Post
Oh, there's nothing keeping me from "Weaver" and its "infinite silk", that's why I have to choose (amd understand) the kind of lie I want
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 07:00 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2878
Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursinorum View Post
Still reading through the rules but am veery interested..

Could I play the extradimensional spider? Feels like a good comedic choice. Basically Shelob from the LotR movies pretending to be a space-faring version her mother Ungoliant from the books.

Either with the Tauric subtype or the Approximate knowledge of many things (Free Ride) could become the sentient transportation for the party..

If a gigantic megalomaniac tarantula feels too evil then I'll write up an ogre, but forget about any free rides.

I saw this book and had much the same line of thinking! Go for it! I am eager to see how you write this up!

Now then...Ogres...well, if Shrek was right maybe I should name him Onion...
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 01:06 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 241
Mitsuki Mitsuki Mitsuki
There is no such thing as an "evil" idea, ogre or spider are both good playbooks. Science fantasy tarantulas sounds great! Just Because they're power-hungry doesn't mean they may not have a soft side. Fellowship as a whole limits "evil" player characters with it's agenda's (most notably improve The World Around You), though some agenda's can cause drama in the fellowship, usually the playbook specific ones. Speaking of which, remember that approximate knowledge of many things also allows you to take an agenda of the playbook you take.

Silver tongue let you tell a lie in place of asking a question when speaking softly with someone else, which they will believe until directly confronted with evidence of the contrary. This lie can be about anything, but has to be intentional. You don't have to tell a lie, you can just choose to ask questions instead. Speaking softly can also be used on other members of the fellowship. One caveat is that you must be the one speaking softly for silver tongue to trigger, but nothing is stopping you from sharing Silver Tongue with other members of the fellowship.

Shrek is actually a decent example of the ogre, unironically. He's strong, grumpy and cares about his friends. Him explaining ogres have layers is a good and comedic example of "tell us about your people".
Old Jul 11th, 2021, 02:55 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I have a less realistic picture if needed.. basically the phase spider from dnd..

still completely deciding on the 'powers' as I feel I wanted to merge the Ogre with the Spider playbook and i don't know if that's smart.

Application (WIP)
right-aligned image
Character Name: Ta'Ch'Ch - Ogar the Octopod Cave Monster

First Impressions: Oversized blue spider with big human-like eyes (albeit eight of them, and red). Its pedipalps tend to rub toghether when idle, which can make seems like Ta'Ch'Ch is plotting something -which is probably true- but otherwise it uses them as rudimentary hands. Fashioned around his pedicel, like a fanny pack, he has a band of silk in which it keeps the few precious items it owns, while a swarm of its younglings grip to the underside of its abdomen, waiting their parent to leave them some scraps.

Playbook: The Spider

Reason why they're the very best of their kind: Thankfully he's the only one of his kind in this dimension, and actually a tiny, powerless one at that.

RP Example: It was some time ago but it's one of my own favourite posts.. I always try to have a good formatting, I usually try to move the story along with a bit of humor, but will probably go for shorter sentences for Ogar to reflect its instictual nature

Last edited by Ursinorum; Jul 13th, 2021 at 05:35 PM.