RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jul 13th, 2021, 12:47 PM
DAGRON

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6479
Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A
@ Amarga: depending on how things work out, Cass might make a good fit for your charge.

Cassentidia Merosett
left-aligned image

Name: Cassentidia Merosett
Race: Half-elf
Class: Occultist (Silksworn)
Traits: Child of Oppara, Precocious Spellcaster
Drawback: Meticulous
Alignment: NG

History

Cassentidia Merosett has been a matter of scandal since before she was born. While elves are tolerated and even appreciated in Taldor, marrying them and having half-breed children is frowned upon to say the least. So when Ramianus Merosett, a member of one of Oppara’s most prestigious noble families, married an elven woman it raised a few eyebrows. Already something of a black sheep due to his progressive views, Ramianus and his bride were mostly ignored by the rest of the family after their marriage, and the same held true for their daughter, Cassentidia.

Fortunately for Cass, the bureaucrats of the Merosett family are nothing if not practical, and as she proved herself useful, they were willing to overlook her mixed ancestry... to an extent. She trained in the family business and became as good at cutting through red tape as any of her cousins. Still, being tolerated is not the same as being truly accepted, and most of the family would rather not socialize with Cass if given a choice, which is just fine by her. Her family name may open certain doors for her, but that doesn’t mean she particularly likes her relatives.

Given her unusual background, it’s no surprise that Cass is acquainted with Martella Lotheed; she’s one of the only nobles in Oppara that doesn’t mind associating with a half-elf, and the two have been friends since they were girls. It’s only natural, then, that when Martella became involved in Princess Eutropia’s plans, she would drag Cass into them as well. Not that Cass minds, on the contrary, she views it as a remarkable opportunity. The repeal of primogeniture and Eutropia’s ascent to the throne would mean a brighter future for people like Cass- and the new regime would surely need bureaucrats as much as the old.

Personality

Cass (as she strongly prefers to her full name) is very much her father’s daughter- opinionated and progressive. She views the traditions that most of her family holds so dear with general contempt; not surprising, given that those traditions condemn her for merely existing. All of it, from the stigma of half-breeds to the antiquated primogeniture laws, are holding Taldor back in her eyes. At the same time, she is a pragmatist, and she understands that significant societal change must start from within the system. To that end, she learned from her family fow to navigate and manipulate Taldor’s extensive bureaucratic system, and she is more than capable of hob-nobbing with other nobles when she needs to. Most of the time, though, she is quiet and studious, having learned from a young age that keeping her head down and doing her work was the best way to avoid her relatives’ ire. Only when among friends in private does she feel comfortable relaxing and being herself, often cracking jokes at the expense of her family and others of the nobility.

Appearance

Cass has fairly typical Taldan features, but her pale elven skin and pointed ears mark her clearly as a half breed. Rather than trying to obscure these tell-tale features, she chooses to make them clear for all to see. Like most nobles, she prefers ostentatious clothing and jewelry, although she eschews more vibrant fashions in favor of black garments highlighted with gold which, along with her raven hair, accentuate her fair complexion. She often wears her hair tucked back behind one ear, making her elven heritage impossible to miss.

Last edited by Exhibit A; Jul 13th, 2021 at 12:48 PM.
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 04:34 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6545
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Where do you go to get such fancy picture borders?
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 04:55 PM
DAGRON

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6479
Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A
I just googled "oval frame clipart" and scrolled until I found one I liked.
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 05:43 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 221
TheYell TheYell TheYell
I'm assuming full health for level one, right? Average thereafter?
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 09:41 AM
Official RPGX dinosaur!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5968
Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis
I suppose I ought to start writing out an application someday...
I will secret any bullet points I might feel like doing though.
Application: Asciella Koruzanto
right-aligned image
Name: Asciella Koruzanto
Race: Aasimar (Halo, Scion of Humanity)
Class: Warpriest of Nethys (Using protection and destruction blessings)
Allignment: NG
Traits: Young Reformer, Two World Magic (Prestidigitation)
Drawback: Pride
Appearance: Asciella looks human most of the time, though there's that glint of supernatural good looks about her. Part of it resides in her blonde hair, it's soothing muted colour reminding people of days at the beach and the gentle rays of the sun on a somewhat cloudy day. Her eyes

The base of Asciella's face is a canvas of clear unblemished rosy skin. It's framed by muted blonde hair smoothly falling to reach her hips with bangs that reach around her midrif. Her eyes have an intense blue colour that makes it seem like Asciella stares into your soul, but at the same time catch the gaze of the other gender. They're closely set around a somewhat pointed nose and below a pair of thick and arched eyebrows. Asciella's lips have a slightly darker colour than the rest of her face.

Asciella grew up rich, and that can still be seen in the way she dresses. The young lady prefers dresses and smooth, flowing fabrics that flatter her atlethic figure. Being a priest of Nethys, she allmost exclusively dresses in black and white. Her tastes in Jewelry are modest for a Taldan noble, settling only for a necklace and a pair of ear piercings. Her most important accesories aside from jewelry is a black and white mask on a string, that she usually keeps tied to her belt though occasionally she'll wear it when her identity as the firstborn of the Koruzantu household might be a hindrance to her goals.

Personality: A more critical person might call asciella self-righteous when trying to find a fault with her. That wouldn't be untrue, she's very much the type of person to see her own point of view as superior and she's not necessarily the person to evaluate other's thoughts. She can be a bit egocentric at times, her reason for helping Eutropia at all is a personal struggle rather than the idealistic belief that she'll pass it off to be.

However most of this isn't obvious to someone who hasn't studied her closely. Most people will see her as an optimistic ray of sunshine who makes others feel like they matter. That is, she knows how to make other people feel important and interesting, and has a tendency to know just what to say and when to say it. Asciella's words have that effect on people. Beyond this, she's energetic, and perhaps slightly too mischievious for some people's tastes.

The driving force behind Asciella comes in three parts. At the core is her own goals, she's hard working but tends to only make progress when she's actually working for what she wants. This motivation is tempered by what people think of her. The Aasimar tends to care too much about other people's oppinions, and this need for validation can end up undermining her. On the most concrete level, Asciella tends to let her own instincts guide herself. However on occasion she gets confused between emotions and instincts, and while she does have good intuition, emotion makes a vapid compass and she can end up making stupid choices when emotionally conflicted.

Background: Asciella was born roughly half a year after the fall of the crown prince, and in the 20 years she's lived she's had a younger brother, named Baristovaer, for 14 years. Her Father was a duke, who could trace their lineage back for ages though a series of talented mages and wielded the magecraft himself. Portraits of these arcane progidies loomed over Asciella, looking towards her in all chambers.

From a young age asciella worked to learn magic and show the same skill in their families craft. She lacked much talent however. When she reached 5 years, her mother was pregnant with her brother and grew sick from the labour. Her father stood with his wife through this hardship, and consequently had less time to oversee Asciella's training.

That didn't bother the aspiring duchess however, she blamed herself for a lack in magical progress and stopped in frustration. Instead she began to pursue a different skill: combat. The Kurozanto household had a number of trained guards and a small army of soldiers and knights. She's allways found their training interesting, and joined them eventually. While at first she left the sparring ring with bruises soon she'd start leaving more on her sparring partners. She had the time, after Baristovaer's birth the boy was sick and weak and required a lot of care. That meant that Asciella's parents were happy to let her play in the yard for the time being.

Eventually Baristovaer grew older, and from age 5 he was taught to read and write (though he would never learn to read words with more than two syllables) and from age 6 he was taught magic. Unlike herself, Baristovaer proved to be a talented mage, being able to light candles after a month of training.

From here, jealousy set in. Asciella decided she'd become just as accomplished a mage, but didn't want to show her own lacking skill in their home. So she sought out the temple of Nethys to learn from the clergymen there. While the priests were happy to have her attention she made more friends than progress.

Asciella's relationship with her brother wasn't a great one. He'd prance about and brag about being a better mage, and use his magic in acts ranging from common mischief to uncouth japes and even physical harm. For her part Asciella has many anecdotes about hiding all her brother's clothes on the roof, hiding freshly caught fish in his bed and setting her cat on her. Her long standing fued with her brother was a source of much laughter and frustration.

Before long their parents drove a wedge between Asciella and Baristovaer. The boy was paraded like a golden goose, with their family's jet black hair and icy gray eyes. Initially Asciella appreciated being sat below the salt with the knights, heroes, bards and their stories. But soon Asciella grew more envious of her brother and brought it up to her parents. She was ignored.

Years passed with Baristovaer being paraded and Asciella living in his shadow. By the time Baristovaer was 9, he was a veritable prodigy, he spent time under private tutelage from his father while Asciella was left with her mother. Asciella's relationship with her mother had allways been cold and the young lady preferred to spend time with her father. Without that possibility, Asciella asked her mother to educate her in politics.

When asked why, the young lady explained that she'd assumed that eutropia's bid to end the primogeniture meant that she'd inherit their duchy and hoped to learn to be a good duchess. Her mother disagreed and neglected the assumption: Eutropia's bid was a clumsy attempt at usurption and destined to fail, Baristovaer would inherit their lands and she'd be married off to one of their Vassals.

This sat wrong with the Asciella. She was firstborn, motivated, more responsible, more clever and could actually read. To her it made no sense for the Baristovaer to inherit their lands and her youthful idealism wouldn't be rebuked by her mother.

Time came for her to be introduced to her suitors. A series of knights and bards vied for her hand in marriage. Asciella wasn't satisfied, a caravan of suitors walked home dejected while the young lady decided to join the temple of Nethys. She made a number of friends, and called themselves the Grimtale sisters. In this part of her life she devoted herself to the teachings of nethys and finally learned clerical magic much more quickly.

She was happy and allmost forgot her rivalry with Baristovaer, when three years later the boy started his search for a wife. She witnessed the doe-eyed caravan of hopefulness that moved back and forth between their own homes and the Kurozanto mansion. She and her found sisters made fun of the lot of them until one of them joined the caravan, seeing a chance to be so much more. This didn't sit well with Asciella, who spoke out against the manouvre.

And argument evolved into a conflict, a fight and a duel in the span of a week and ended in Asciella being kicked in the back by a horse in a forgotten part of an untravelled forest and left for dead. Asciella's fervor saw her through it though. When she regained consciousness the priest healed herself and sought out her sisters once again.

By now she was a woman scorned: her idiot brother had usurped her by birth, her friend had betrayed her and her homeland would surely be doomed under the rule of someone who saw paper as something more fit to burn than to read. Asciella knew she had to do something about it, Princess Eutropia. However the Grimtale sisters were intercepted by Marteela Lotheed before they met her. After a lengthy conversation Asciella's name was added to the list of petitioners.

Last edited by Sirviantis; Jul 15th, 2021 at 07:41 AM.
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 11:02 AM
Blessed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1123
Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYell View Post
I'm assuming full health for level one, right? Average thereafter?
Yes, full health for level 1.
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 11:16 AM
Guac Chief

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2854
Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga
Given that we have a number of noble descended apications, does anyone want the services of a taciturn bodyguard?
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 11:26 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
TheYell TheYell TheYell
I guess we have to wait a couple weeks to see who makes it, but it looks like a solid lot of applicants so far.

Do the players start out knowing each other?

Last edited by TheYell; Jul 14th, 2021 at 11:33 AM.
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 11:34 AM
Official RPGX dinosaur!

Tools
User Statistics
Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis
Asciella isn't posing as a person of noble descent, having a bodyguard would only serve to attract attention to her, which she isn't really keen on. If you want we can try to hash out a different sort of relationship though, I feel like Ciel's backstory does leave her open for quite a bit.
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 11:55 AM
Blessed

Tools
User Statistics
Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332
I'll decide the relations between the characters after the selection process. Considering that all these applications are very interesting, I think I'll have a hard time deciding who will get in.
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 02:49 PM
Official RPGX dinosaur!

Tools
User Statistics
Actually, I've been thinking and decided to ditch Asciella's "undercover" mentality.

You can't swing a rope around Oppara without hitting a nobleman/-woman, so there's probably more hassle in having a fake name than it's worth.
If Helm wants to be Asciella's protector, I'll welcome it!

@Arjuna: If you're worried about who to pick, you can just close applications early and pick up everyone.
Or... you could judge by some arbitrary criterea, like word count.
Yeah!
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 03:32 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
TheYell TheYell TheYell
I was thinking House DuLac could have a secret that Richmond might or might not uncover during the game

and in return I take the 2nd drawback Family Ties, which is triggered by a family member asking for something so it means as much or as little as the GM wants

Last edited by TheYell; Jul 14th, 2021 at 07:32 PM.
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 05:39 PM
Official RPGX dinosaur!

Tools
User Statistics
I've also been meaning to ask a few questions about character building and advancement:
How optimised should our characters be?
What roleplay to combat ratio are you shooting for?
How fast do you plan to advance us in level?
What level do you assume we'll reach?
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 10:16 PM
Blessed

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirviantis View Post
I've also been meaning to ask a few questions about character building and advancement:
How optimised should our characters be?
What roleplay to combat ratio are you shooting for?
How fast do you plan to advance us in level?
What level do you assume we'll reach?
1. Optimization shouldn't matter here. As long as they work, they're golden. Of course, you can still optimize your characters.
2. Since this are quite a lot of political intrigue and subterfuge, I guess there is 60% roleplay, 40% combat.
3. Instead of using xp, I'll be using milestone system where the characters get to level up at certain points.
4. Well, if we can get this until the end of the adventure path, level 20 is probably the end result. Though for now, I guess realistically I want to set it to level 5 first.
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 06:41 AM
Cleaner of the Royal Butt

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3071
Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge
Posting this to cite interest. I just wanted to ask what the deadline for applications is? I have a couple ideas for characters and what to decide on the best one I want to go for.

EDIT - Never mind, just seen the closing date

Last edited by Lentil Sponge; Jul 15th, 2021 at 06:43 AM.