DnD5e Nal Dar Rising (Homebrew 5E Campaign) - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jul 15th, 2021, 10:52 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 221
Palliven Palliven Palliven
Nal Dar Rising (Homebrew 5E Campaign)

Game NameNal Dar Rising (Homebrew 5E Campaign)
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeFantasy, Light Horror, Mid-Magic
FlavourGritty. Story Driven. Heavy RP and Character Development. Serious Over Silly. Choices Have Consequences

** GAME IS CURRENTLY CLOSED FOR APPLICATIONS **

Plot Summary​It has been over four decades since the Fall of Naldarvaloth. That great Elven nation is gone, many saying the elves invited doom unto themselves and in doing so, set it loose into the world. Their great cities, once a beacon of beauty and power to the world, have been reduced to the wasteland now called Nal Dar. If not for the Druid's Ridge and the sacrifice of so many, the twisted and foul creatures that Nal Dar spawned would have spilled into the world. Instead, they slunk back to the shadows and remained hidden and asleep all these years.

This is the world you have been born into. You have lived through relatively prosperous and peaceful years since the Fall of Naldarvaloth but recently there have been signs of change on the horizon. Stories are being told of things stirring in the barren lands. Rumors are heard more frequently of creatures being seen outside of the impassable wall of the Ridge. How much of these are true is hard to tell, but for the first time in a long time Nal Dar is being spoken of in hushed tones and people are afraid.

Nal Dar is far away from the peaceful Freeholds of Tamrya where you find yourself. And like most rumors, the further those concerning Nal Dar travel, the less they are believed. None in the Three Towns are thinking of that tragic place for today the sun is shining and the Festival of Kymlyn has begun! Dedicated to the Goddess of Hearth and Home, it is a celebration of the bounty that she provides and a time to ask for blessings for the year to come. While celebrated to some degree across the kingdoms, the Festival of Kymlyn is a week long event here in Wallford, Markum’s Trace and Darcyville. So whether you are from the Three Towns or just visiting, you find yourself in the caught up in the excitement as preparations are being made. Unfortunately, no one could have prepared for what was about to occur there nor what it would mean for the rest of the realm.

Welcome to Nal Dar Rising! You have the opportunity to be a part of an epic story where your actions and choices will help shape the world and your character’s place in it. The campaign of Nal Dar Rising takes place in the world of Palliven I have created and run games in for several years. While there are main story arcs developed for the campaign, there is plenty of room for players to take things in new directions or just explore and see what happens. My hope is that the pieces created so far will inspire you enough so your decisions add to the story and the campaign world.

Logistics of Game
Logistics and Mechanics
* Will be accepting 5 players.
* D&D 5E, in homebrew world and setting.
* Roleplay heavy game.
* Will be played on RPX but may use my website for supporting information.
* Start at 1st level and must begin as non-evil characters.
* XP will be milestone based. Leveling will require downtime to train/learn/advance.
* Books Allowed: PHB, Xanathar’s, Volo’s. Will not allow homebrew classes/races/etc or those in other books besides those listed.
* Races Allowed: All except drow and tiefling. Please realize elves are very rare and many are afflicted with a form of madness. If someone makes a good, story based case to play an elf I may allow it.
* Classes Allowed: All except Druids.
* No sexual, discriminatory, derogatory chat or roleplay but players should be 18 or over as story may deal with some dark topics or graphic descriptions.
* Posting once or twice a week on average is minimum commitment.

Timing
* I expect to make offers to players three weeks after game post is made. ** UPDATE ** Given all the great responses I am moving in timline of offers to TWO weeks **
* Expect one or two weeks to develop characters.
* Game play expectation is to make one or two posts per week on average.

Is This Game For You?
Players who might enjoy this game are those that:
* Understand this is a cooperative team game.
* Have respect for the other players and the DM.
* Enjoy being a part of the world and story line, seeing their actions have impact, but realizing there are consequences to their actions too.
* Want to develop and grow with their character in a long term, low pressure environment.
* Like to be creative and engaged, whatever level or form that takes for them.
* Enjoy roleplaying, whether actively engaged or just passively watching it unfold, and helping it along when they can.
* Are able to express their action, intentions and ideas through writing. Do not need to be an English major or scholar but do need to be able to clearly articulate what you mean.
* Can commit to the game schedule and a long term campaign.

Players that most likely won't enjoy this game are those that:

* Are looking for video game type experience and not interested in role playing.
* Are fixated on playing the exact character idea they have versus letting their character develop and grow.
* Want to beat the game and just rack up experience or treasure.
* Look forward to arguing the rules to the point of ruining enjoyment in the game.
* Aren't able to commit to the game schedule (realizing that life happens and some games may be missed).
* Looking for something to play as a way to kill time until something else comes along.
* Do not play well with others.

What You Should Expect From Me
* A fun, engaging and memorable campaign.
* Have decades (with a few gaps) of experience running games and creating stories in D&D and numerous other roleplaying games.
* Know the mechanics and rules with some areas stronger than others. Not interested in debating nuances as much as making a decision that makes sense in the context of the characters and campaign.
* A world-builder and storyteller. While I love what I create, its goal is to serve as the backdrop to what we create as a group. There are elements that are firm because of consistency to the game world but I never hold onto things just because they are my creation. I adapt and adjust based on character actions and choices.
* Cooperative story teller that plays off player/character inputs.
* Main principles I follow are: Fairness and consistency help keep everyone engaged. Give each player the backdrop to bring their character to life. Never let mechanics or rules get in the way of the fun. Its a fantasy world but in general things still should make sense. All player/character choices have consequences. Fairness, respect and support.

How To Apply
At this point I am not looking for character ideas and would actually discourage you from putting work into that. I am more interested in your style, approach and ability to express yourself in writing. To this end I would ask that you answer the following. Please reply as SPOILER to help keep people from feeling influenced or not sharing something because they feel it may be too similar to what someone else posted. From these I will make my decision on who to invite and then move into the character creation.

1. In your opinion, what are the attributes and qualities of a good DM?
2. What do you enjoy most about playing D&D?
3. Why are you interested in joining this game specifically?

The next few questions are open ended, feel free to be creative in your answers.
4. You set the wooden box down on the table. It is made of dark red wood that is polished smooth. You open the simple iron latch and lift the lid. What do you see inside?
5. The town square if full of people, enjoying the celebration. You look through the crowd, searching for your friend who had asked you to meet him here. Suddenly you have the feeling that you are being watched. You turn around and see......?
6. Over the years, you have amassed a significant amount of treasure and make the decision to retire from the adventuring life. What do you decide to do in your retirement?

Last edited by Palliven; Jul 29th, 2021 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 03:24 PM
BlackDragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 676
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Jul 15th, 2021 at 03:32 PM.
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 04:06 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Congrats on being the first to post!! Doesn't gain you anything except my eternal admiration though.

Last edited by Palliven; Jul 15th, 2021 at 04:06 PM.
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 04:53 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39392
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Moderator note- This site is a PG-13 environment. That needs to be taken into consideration in regards to posts, descriptive text, and such.
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 05:07 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 252
Maremeiana Maremeiana Maremeiana
Interesting setting!

Characters:Aviena
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 05:10 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 81
Cnolan0714

Old Jul 15th, 2021, 06:08 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20104
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit

Old Jul 15th, 2021, 07:12 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by zevonian View Post
Moderator note- This site is a PG-13 environment. That needs to be taken into consideration in regards to posts, descriptive text, and such.
Understood. Just want to be clear to all considering playing that this has a dark tone and is not a lighthearted romp at times. Since individuals tolerance for this may vary, I would rather overstate it than understate. Nothing that would break the PG13 rating of today.

Last edited by Palliven; Jul 15th, 2021 at 07:17 PM.
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 08:01 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
BobManGM
This is new...and I'd like to be part of it

Evening,

I'm new to RPGX, but have used RPOL for years (GM there), so please take it easy as I'm learning the new interface. There is much the same, but....

BobManGM

Old Jul 15th, 2021, 09:27 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobManGM View Post
I'm new to RPGX, but have used RPOL for years (GM there), so please take it easy as I'm learning the new interface. There is much the same, but....
Not a problem at all, I just joined a few months back myself.
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 11:06 PM
Peace was never an option

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31977
Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner

Old Jul 16th, 2021, 07:20 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maremeiana View Post
Interesting Setting!
Thanks!
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 07:35 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 200
Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70
Hi, really keen to be considered for this, will post the questions/answers this evening when i can get to my laptop
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 11:48 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 818
theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster
Looks like a blast.

Old Jul 16th, 2021, 01:11 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
A lot of great applications already! Glad that my style and setting are striking a chord with some of you. Might not even need th efull three weeks to make my selection at this rate!