Other [D&D (Basic/Expert)] - Adventures in Mystara - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jul 15th, 2021, 02:17 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 177
Jayth Jayth
[D&D (Basic/Expert)] - Adventures in Mystara

Game Name[D&D (Basic/Expert)] - Adventures in Mystara
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
ThemeNo Renaissance in this Old School - just a chance to play a lot of classic modules.
FlavourQuest for Glory
Plot Summary

Who are you? You are somebody interested in playing some classic modules. You may be an old veteran, you might be a newbie. All are welcome.

Which edition of Basic/Expert are you running? Blue Box, Red Box? Mentzer? These modules will be run via BECMI/Rules Cyclopedia editions. That should have the broadest possible reach, especially now you can buy reprints of RC (This DM’s favorite, and in their opinion, best D&D book ever produced).

Which modules?A collection from B1-9 and X1-6. Not necessarily in order, have to keep you on your toes.

How many players do you want?6-8

Anything else we should know?A few things.
  • Character generation will be simple. 4d6, drop lowest, assign freely.
  • If you are new to Basic D&D the lack of skills will be a shock, unless you are a thief. Keeping things very simple to begin. No weapon masteries or non-weapon proficiencies from RC.
  • Occasionally I might ask for an ability roll to determine things. That’s 1d20, if it’s less than or equal to your ability score, you succeed. Trying to keep things relatively pure.
  • Also for real newbies, you have to qualify for your class (elf, dwarf, halfling are classes not races), and there are XP boosts tied to Gold and also your prime attribute scores as well. You’ll also be levelling up at different times.
  • Getting to 0 hp = death. Instantly. That’s it. Early levels are deadly so be prepared to potentially roll new characters.
  • Lawful and neutral alignments only.

Character CreationI will be posting a full sheet under this, but for now I’d like a few simple words on:
  • Name

Posting Rate: 1-2 per week
Other than that, sign up and have fun.

Accepted Applications (Please fill in Character Sheets now)
Player NameCharacter NameClass
MrKinisterCail Olafson Fighter
DedUpDevlin Cross Fighter
Seekr32 Quenta Elf
Drachenspirit Garabond Thief
DebiRedHairBrother PercivalCleric
ShulaNitram Ein’rexagygMagic User
Ericg1sOpeeMackHalfling
InlaaRenzi StonebreakerDwarf

Extra Q&A
Where are the to-hit charts? Or will you be using THAC0?
I will be using THAC0 - don’t panic new players it’s not that scary. But players don’t have to worry about that, I will be managing that in the background. For you guys it will just be attack roll + mod, and I will manage the rest.

If you are interested in my particular favorite variant of the THAC0 formula, I always preferred “attack roll + target AC >= attacking character’s THAC0” rather than “THAC0 - attack roll <= target AC”.

What spells can I have?
Pick d4 + 2 spells of your own choice (applicable by level obviously). I never liked read/write magic as a spell option, so all magic users get it as a free 0-level cantrip.

I’m new to older editions. Why does AC go down as armor gets better?
It’s a hangover from older game systems. Don’t worry about it. But a -AC bonus is an improvement.

(Coincidentally I like a house rule of opposed attack defensive rolls in modern systems where you add your AC-10 as a modifier to your defensive roll against an attacker’s roll. However, that’s for modern editions and we’re not doing it here.)

Will this game continue into CMI?
Maybe, if it goes well. Although depending on the reception for old school gaming I would be more tempted to run B/X versions of T1-4 Temple of Elemental Evil, A1-4 Slave Lords, G1-3|D1-3|Q as a massive interwoven campaign. Maybe even B/X I6 Ravenloft and House of Gryphon Hill for those Curse of Strahd fans.

If other questions come up, I will answer them here.

Last edited by Jayth; Jul 21st, 2021 at 08:00 AM.
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 02:42 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Jayth Jayth
Character Sheet
  • Name:
  • Class:
  • Level:
  • XP:
  • Gold:
  • HP:
  • AC:

Attributes
AttributeSTRDEXCONINTWISCHA
Score  
Mod  

Saving Throws
Saving Throwvs.Death Ray/Poisonvs. Magic Wandsvs. Paralysis/Turn to Stonevs. Dragon Breathvs. Rod/Staff/Spell

Thief Skills/Magic User or Cleric Spells (Use if appropriate)

Thief Skills
Open LocksFind TrapsRemove TrapsClimb WallsMove SilentlyHide in ShadowsPick PocketsHear Noise

Demihuman Abilities (Use if appropriate)
Dwarf:Infravision (60’), Detection (Traps in stone work, sliding corridors, slopes, new construction): 1-2 (D6)
Elf:Infravision (60’), Detect Hidden/Secret Doors: 1-2 (D6), Immune to Ghoul Paralysis, Magic
Halfling: -2 AC bonus when attacked by creatures larger than man-sized, +1 to hit with ranged weapons, hide in cover (outdoors): 90%, hide in shadows (indoors): 33% [N.B Must not move]

Spells/Level
Level of Spell1234567
How many spells of that level can be cast per day       

Spell List
-

Equipment
-

General Information
Starting gold = 3d6 x 10

Class Information
Class NamePrime AttributeHDMinimum Attribute Requirements
ClericWISD6-
FighterSTRD8-
Magic UserINTD4-
ThiefDEXD4-
DwarfSTRD8CON 9
ElfSTR/INTD6INT 9
HalflingSTR/DEXD6STR 9/CON 9
(N.B Only classes on this table are available.)

Attribute Modifiers
Attribute Score Mod
2-3-3
4-5-2
6-8-1
9-120
13-15+1
16-17+2
18+3

Last point, if I haven’t mentioned it as an option, it is prohibited.

Last edited by Jayth; Jul 16th, 2021 at 05:15 AM.
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 03:13 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 417
MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister
Wow, an old RC game. Let me try my luck on this one.

I am thinking of Cail Olafson, a young man recently discharged from city guard service [Fighter]. He's 21 years old, knows his weapons and armor, and has a solid tactical head on his shoulders. Being the son of a priest and school teacher, his understanding of the world and handling trouble is high. He's got a good, sensible head on his shoulders.

Cail is an optimistic young man who feels that talking is better than fighting, but he knows not everyone thinks like him. He joined the guard because he felt that it would help him to make a change, and it taught him how to handle a situation where the last resort has been reached.

Cail is also a curious man, who likes to learn about new things he discovers. He keeps a journal of his days and his thoughts about his life.

Character Sheet
  • Name: Cail Olafson
  • Class: Fighter
  • Alignment: Lawful
  • Level: 1
  • XP: 0
  • Gold: 80
  • HP: 6
  • AC: 3

Attributes
AttributeSTRDEXCONINTWISCHA
Score141716111511
Mod+1+2+2-+1-

Saving Throws
Death Ray/PoisonMagic WandsParalysis/Turn to StoneDragon BreathRod/Staff/Spell

Equipment
Code:
- Chain Mail               40 GP
- Great Sword              15 GP

- Backpack                  5 GP
- Food (week)               5 GP
- Water Skin                1 GP

- Torches (5)               1 GP
- Tinder Box                3 GP
- Sacks, Large (2)          4 GP

"Life doesn't give you purpose. You give live purpose." - The Flash

Last edited by MrKinister; Jul 19th, 2021 at 09:48 AM.
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 12:11 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 216
DedUp DedUp DedUp
Thanks for posting the game Jayth.

Name: Devlin Cross
Devlin is a good natured young man looking to raise himself out of his father's house in the slums. Tired of his drunken father's glory stories of his adventuring days (most of which are probably false), he's spent his youth taking on odd jobs and guard work for merchants in both legitimate and illegitimate businesses using the few skills his father taught him in his more sober moments. Despite his circumstances (including the death of his mother due to illness when he was young), Devlin takes a laid back approach to life but is always on the look out for new opportunities.

Last edited by DedUp; Jul 16th, 2021 at 10:53 PM.
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 01:23 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3984
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Haven't played this type of game in a long time. My only question is, what do we do for character sheets? The oldest character sheet this site has is AD&D 2e.
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 02:23 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
DedUp DedUp DedUp
I see he's got a character sheet worked out in the second post, though I think the 2nd Ed sheet on the site would probably work just as well if you ignore the things that don't apply.

Also Jayth, you might want to add to the opening post how often you expect players to post in the game.
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 04:59 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Jayth Jayth
Hi Seekr34. I would like you to use the character sheet I provide in the second post please.
//
Good point DedUp. Edited now.
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 08:12 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2575
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posting interest; will apply later.
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 10:17 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
DedUp DedUp DedUp
Hey Jayth. I see you would like us to create our character sheets now. Do you have a place to roll our stats, like maybe a dice rolling thread if you've been assigned a game forum? Rolling dice in application threads is a bit of a no no around here.

Last edited by DedUp; Jul 16th, 2021 at 10:23 AM.
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 10:48 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Jayth Jayth
I’m afraid I don’t have a thread yet. If you’d like, you can dm me a message as your die rolls. Otherwise, I am very happy to let you guys roll by yourselves (offline or online elsewhere) and just fill in your character sheets. Whichever you prefer and is easiest for you.

As I am sure everybody’s nonna used to say; “When you cheat, the only person you cheat is yourself.”
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 12:53 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Well, I rolled the old-fashioned way: with real dice.

Here's my stats - 4D6 drop lowest:

- 11, 11, 17, 14, 15, 16

Not bad overall, definitely above average.

If you're ok with this, I will append the rest of the character sheet to my original app post.

Old Jul 16th, 2021, 01:13 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Jayth Jayth
Awesome MrKinister. If you want to amend your original character write-up in case you want to be a Demi-human, please feel free.
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 02:36 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks. I might consider an elf, but I like the idea of a fighter. And, it being 4D6 drop lowest, I am sure I won't be the only one with good stats so there should be plenty of demi-humans in this party. =)

I should have a filled-out sheet at some point today or tomorrow.

Old Jul 16th, 2021, 03:41 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Jayth Jayth
No problem. Haha it’s not that I want to see Demihumans, more I don’t want you to feel like you couldn’t change your mind if you wanted to because you had already said fighter. Looking forward to seeing it.
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 04:30 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3984
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Name: Quenta Redleaf (elf)
Personality: He gets along with everyone, but he is leery of humans until he gets to know them, humans being an unpredictable race. Dwarves he isn't sure about, the race being very gruff and short tempered. Halflings are carefree, so he likes them. Having gotten the wanderlust bug, he went out to explore to see what the world has to offer.
right-aligned image

Rolled a 3d6 and got a 4+3+6 = 13 x 10 = 130gps to spent
Rolled 1d6 and actually got a 6+1 Con mod for hps

Last edited by Seekr34; Jul 21st, 2021 at 10:57 PM.