Other [D&D (Basic/Expert)] - Adventures in Mystara - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jul 17th, 2021, 08:04 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 417
MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister
Thac0 can be easily managed by using this formula: Thac0 - 1d20 = AC hit.

Examples: If you have a 1st level character, your base Thac0 will be 19.

1. 19 - (d20) 10 = you hit AC 9
2. 19 - (d20) 19 = you hit AC 0

Your Thac0 will be modified by your STR or DEX score and/or magic bonuses To Hit.

"Life doesn't give you purpose. You give live purpose." - The Flash
Old Jul 17th, 2021, 08:16 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 177
Jayth Jayth
Yep - as I said in my original post I always preferred as a GM doing (roll + mod) + ac >= thac0. I tend to giving players only attack rolls and modifiers to worry about. I have found if you let them do their calculations, meta gaming and guessing ac comes in. Also I know for some newer players thac0 can be a little intimidating.
Old Jul 18th, 2021, 12:48 AM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
What sort of meta-gaming do you foresee when people know their opponent's AC? They will pick the easier target?

Old Jul 18th, 2021, 01:54 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3982
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
I doubt we'll be pvp. Then again, it's all in the rolls anyway
Old Jul 18th, 2021, 04:23 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Jayth Jayth
Well in the past (as in years and years ago in person) I found that some players would, after working out certain information, start to liberally “interpret” their dice rolls to ensure they succeeded. Now obviously that isn’t possible here and I would doubt anyone coming to a site like this would even want to cheat like that. But that is where my habits came from. Instead I am trying to give reasons for why I do things a certain way so if it seems strange to my players, that is why. That and it comes from a place of trying to provide a welcoming place for younger players who may not be used to such mechanics and might be intimidated by them. After all THAC0 is notorious for that.

So there was no accusation in my explanation, just a chance to better understand my motives and me as a GM.

Last edited by Jayth; Jul 18th, 2021 at 04:24 AM.
Old Jul 18th, 2021, 06:09 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 475
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair

Brother PercivalBorn in a local village as the son of a miller, Percival attracted the attention of the local priest when he was young and was sent to the monastery down the valley for training. He has shown himself to be a good student and has learned much about nature and the unnatural. He is never happier than when he is looking at plants and animals, or a good view. He is never angrier than when he is faced by the destruction of nature or unnatural things like undead or lycanthropes.
A generally unexceptional man, he is known for having wisdom 'beyond his years' and rarely being ill. Otherwise he is just an average person with an above average education.

On phone at weekends so shorter and less frequent posts.

Last edited by DebiRedHair; Jul 21st, 2021 at 04:04 AM.
Old Jul 18th, 2021, 07:59 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2575
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
First I will roll stats
STR
Dice Roll:
4d6 3, 4, 6, 5 Total = 18

DEX
Dice Roll:
4d6 6, 6, 2, 5 Total = 19

CON
Dice Roll:
4d6 4, 6, 6, 4 Total = 20

INT
Dice Roll:
4d6 4, 6, 4, 1 Total = 15

WIS
Dice Roll:
4d6 4, 2, 3, 3 Total = 12

CHA
Dice Roll:
4d6 6, 5, 5, 6 Total = 22
Old Jul 18th, 2021, 08:12 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2575
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
That gives starting stats:
STR 15 +1
DEX 17 +2
CON 16 +2
INT 14 +1
WIS 9 +0
CHA 17 +2
Racel/Class: Halfling
Name: OpeeMack*
Background: He was raised under the hill in a Halfling Burrow, and spent much of his childhood in a wagon drawn by a pack of mules, traveling around with his parents and trading various goods. His brother is set to inherit the wagon and mules, and his sister the Burrow and the goods there. He collects some traveling clothes, rations, and other gear, and heads off to seek his fortune.
Weapons: Short Sword and Sling.
General Skills (if applicable): Bargaining; Riding (Wagon); Navigation; Detect Deception.
Personality: Tends to be straight-forward and practical. Solves problems by the obvious method.
Alignment: Lawful.
Languages: Common, Elven.
*Opee is a Hobbit term for a yellow cheese, or anything else that particular shade of yellow.
I should also roll for HP here if needed.
Dice Roll:
1d6 3
I will add CON later.
Roll for GP:
Dice Roll:
3d6 5, 3, 5 Total = 13

Last edited by Ericg1s; Jul 19th, 2021 at 08:06 AM.
Old Jul 18th, 2021, 08:52 AM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayth View Post
Well in the past (as in years and years ago in person) I found that some players would, after working out certain information, start to liberally “interpret” their dice rolls to ensure they succeeded. Now obviously that isn’t possible here and I would doubt anyone coming to a site like this would even want to cheat like that. But that is where my habits came from. Instead I am trying to give reasons for why I do things a certain way so if it seems strange to my players, that is why. That and it comes from a place of trying to provide a welcoming place for younger players who may not be used to such mechanics and might be intimidated by them. After all THAC0 is notorious for that.

So there was no accusation in my explanation, just a chance to better understand my motives and me as a GM.
I see, and I understand. Fortunately, since the die rolls here are a matter of public record, such cheating is just not possible. But I understand where you are coming from. As a GM for many years, I have also seen some folks deeply favor "success" in a game, regardless of the "method" used. Sometimes it's funny, and at other times they can get quite upset if their desire for "success" is not met. It's different for everyone, of course. I am long past that stage, as "failure" and "success" have merely become "observable events" to me, and have no personal reflection upon my self-concept as a human being. (Well, at least in gaming situations.) But to each their own.

Old Jul 18th, 2021, 08:54 AM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
By the way, I have assumed max hit points for my character. I see Ericg1s rolled for them. Are we rolling?

By the way, those are some darn nice stat rolls.

Last edited by MrKinister; Jul 18th, 2021 at 08:55 AM.
Old Jul 18th, 2021, 09:32 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1120
Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula
@Jayth whenever you post that you are using any type of roll method in a game ad, you should include a line not to to roll in the thread as this is against site policy. Here's a link to a dice roller that I set up for your convenience.

Last edited by Shula; Jul 18th, 2021 at 02:07 PM.
Old Jul 18th, 2021, 09:47 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Serten Ein'rexagyg
left-aligned image
Serten likes to adventure, but is basically not bright enough to be trusted on his own: therefore, he will always be found with a group. He understands the physical side of melee very well and can seldom resist getting in and mixing it up with his toes. This often creates problems as he is too dumb to know when to run away, requiring the rest the party to rescue him.

Serten is a good person, though, well-meaning and kindly. He claims to never have done on evil deed and there is no reason to doubt this. As good as he is, he does not plan ahead and often finds himself confronted by new evils and problems thot could have been easily avoided. This does keep his life busy.

Character Sheet
  • Name: Serten Ein'rexagyg
  • Class: Cleric
  • Level: 1
  • XP: 0
  • Gold: 1 gold, 3 silver
  • HP:
  • AC: 1

Attributes
AttributeSTRDEXCONINTWISCHA
Score18141510 1611
Mod+3+1+1+0+2+0

Saving Throws
Saving Throwvs.Death Ray/Poisonvs. Magic Wandsvs. Paralysis/Turn to Stonevs. Dragon Breathvs. Rod/Staff/Spell

Turn Undead
Turn Undead
SkeletonZombieGhoulWightWraithMummySpectreVampirePhantomHauntSpiritNightshadeLichSpecial
7 9 11           

Spells/Level
Level of Spell1234567
How many spells of that level can be cast per day-------

Spell List

Equipment
ItemWeightItemWeightItemWeight
Warhammer 1d6M50Sling Range 40/80/1601d4S20(30)Lead Pellets6
Holy Symbol1Platemail500Shield100
Clothes, MiddleclassWornBoots, PlainWornCloak, LongWorn
BeltWornPouch5Backpack20
1wk Standard Rations200Waterskin30Tinderbox5
(6)Torches120Small Sack13gp 1sp4
Total Weight
1062cn

Last edited by Shula; Jul 20th, 2021 at 11:55 PM.
Old Jul 18th, 2021, 10:24 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
B/c, why not:

Old Jul 19th, 2021, 07:01 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Jayth Jayth
@DebiRedHair - No spells for clerics at level 1.

Saving throws:
Vs. Death Ray/Poison = 11
Vs. Magic Wands = 12
Vs. Paralysis/Turn to Stone = 14
Vs. Dragon Breath = 16
Vs. Rod/Staff/Spell = 15

@Ericg1s - please use the character sheet provided. We’re not using non-weapon proficiencies so only your Demihuman abilities are applicable there.

@MrKiminster - yes rolling for HP.

@Shula - thank you for repointing that out. I had said not to do dice rolling here earlier in the thread, I think some people must have missed it.
Thank you also for your application. Don’t forget your saving throw table (as above in this message) and HP. I do enjoy your character’s name. If only a “Certain Ernie Gygax” was here, he could spoil some exciting TSR news.

Ah it’s good to see hex maps again! Memories and many happy hours sat making star quadrants and systems in Traveller.

Last edited by Jayth; Jul 19th, 2021 at 07:07 AM.
Old Jul 19th, 2021, 08:12 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 475
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair
I think that Percival is done and ready for your approval

On phone at weekends so shorter and less frequent posts.