DnD35e [Forgotten Realms] The Sieging of Toril - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jul 20th, 2021, 06:52 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 410
Nezkrul Nezkrul Nezkrul Nezkrul Nezkrul
The Sieging of Toril

Game NameThe Sieging of Toril (Character Submissions are OPEN until midnight on Friday July 30, seeking 2)
Game SystemDnD 3.5e Forgotten Realms
ThemeHigh to Epic Adventure and War
FlavourStopping outer plane entities from destroying the world; with a mixture of dangerous combats, exploration, intrigue, and plenty of RP opportunity
Plot SummaryIt is 1357 DR, The Year of the Prince

The dwarves of the Ironeater Clan reclaim the ruined halls of Illefarn. In doing so, and with the help of some adventurers, they discover a hidden treasure vault, deep beneath the earth. It is sealed behind many physical and magical barriers and traps, with many warnings in all the world's languages to leave the contents alone. Inside, they discover a blue glowing orb the size of a human's head, floating above an obelisk of blackstone. Within the orb, the dwarves and adventurers see twisted faces and unspeakable evils and horrors, and they begin hearing voices, luring them ever closer to the orb and to free the orb from the magical lock holding it. One of the adventurers and several of the dwarves succumb to the domineering evil, and immediately attack those around them, with the adventurer loosing a powerful dispelling magic, destroying the magical lock upon the orb. Loosed from its prison, the orb instantly enlarges, filling the treasure chamber with its ghostly blue energy, and revealing that it was not an object, but a gate to another realm, a realm far from this reality. And the evil that has slept there since the breaking of the world, awakes, hungry, and starts pouring through...

Adventurers the world over are summoned, called, messaged, or divinely inspired to venture to the Illefarn ruins and help put a stop to what is coming.
Player CountSeeking 4 players to start, up to 6 in the party (4 approved characters so far - Seeker34, Schism, btccg, Liltroll2)
Starting ECL12th level (this includes any racial hitdice and level adjustment)
Approved Character Source MaterialPHB, PHB2, DMG, DMG2, Complete series, Races Of series (minus Eberron), Frostburn, Sandstorm, Stormwrack, Cityscape, Dungeonscape, XPH, Libris Mortis, Lords of Madness, Heroes of Horror (no taint), Heroes of Battle, Miniatures Handbook, Spell Compendium, Magic Item Compendium, Epic Level Handbook, Monster Manuals 1 - 5 (for races, templates, polymorphs, wildshapes, summons, calls), Fiendish Codex I and II (same as MM), Tome of Magic, Tome of Battle, Arms and Equipment Guide, Player's Guide to Faerun, Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, Champions of Valor, Drow of the Underdark, Shining South, Unapproachable East, and Underdark. 3.0 source material must be updated to 3.5e
Character SubmissionsMake sure your character adheres to the following rules for this campaign:
1. Character Background- You must submit a decent background detailing your character's past in the world of Toril. Include major adventures, events, contacts, friends, significant locations, and experiences. The more detailed you are, the higher likelihood of having your character approved. This is the first and most important requirement for character submission.
2. Character Race/Templates- Any humanoid base race from the Approved Sources is allowed, as is any template. However, your character's background must detail how you came to be, and why you would actually partake of the kind of theme this game's plot is about. Keep in mind that you will be part of a team and expected to cooperate in that regard.
3. Classes- Any base classes, and multiclassing of base classes, from the Approved Sources are allowed, however only a single prestige class may be taken at this time. Again, make sure it is in your background as to the how and why.
4. Attributes- Your choice of 42 point buy, or rolling 4d6 (reroll 1's once) 7 times and take the 6 desired scores, arranged to taste. If you roll the dice, you're stuck with the stats.
5. Freebies- Every character, regardless of race or how many hitdice or class levels they start with, will get a free Regional feat for their character at first level (these are found in the campaign setting or the player's guide to faerun). You may also select one Flaw, and one Character Trait, from the Unearthed Arcana. Each of these selections must be included in your character's background, and must represent a significance to your character. If your choice of flaw is easily overcome by your choices of bonus feats, class features, or abilities, then it really isn't a flaw, and it will have to be changed out.
6. Experience Points- Each character will begin with the required amount of experience points to make their character have an ECL of 12.
7. Wealth- Each character will begin with 100,000 gold pieces worth of wealth, magic items, valuables, and equipment. If your character has at least 10 ranks in a craft or profession skill, they will begin with an additional 5,000 gold pieces. When spending this wealth, no single purchased item can have a market value higher than half of this amount. All other purchases must be 25% of this amount or less. Please make sure significant items are included in your character's background. Do not use alignment/class discounts.
8. Hitpoints- Rolled, however the minimum is average (rounded up) for each hit die, and you receive maximum hitpoints for your first hit die. Monsters and NPCs will also be rolled in this manner.
9. Animal Companions, Familiars, Special Mounts- To start, stick to what is allowed by your class(es) specifically. After we begin play, other options will become available.
10. Cohorts- If you begin the game with a cohort, they start with enough experience to be ECL 10, and they get 40,000 gold pieces for their equipment. If your Leadership score is not high enough to have a 10th level cohort, your cohort will start at maximum level for you, but will keep the same amount of wealth.
HouserulesThe following houserules will be in effect for this campaign:
1. Heroic Skill Checks- if you roll a natural 20 on any non-knowledge skill check, you may roll again with an additional +20 bonus, or accept your roll. Usually, special things happen in these moments and I will endeavor to make it count.
2. Weapon/Spell Fumbles- While I will be using them, the chances of having a critical fumble in weapon combat is 1 in 400. When rolling a natural 1 for a spell or weapon attack, roll again to confirm the fumble. If your confirmation roll would still hit your opponent, then your attack simply misses. If the fumble confirmation roll also misses, then you have fumbled - you are immediately dazed until the start of your next turn in initiative. If you critically fumble, by rolling a natural 1 (when attacking a with a weapon) or natural 1 or 2 (when attacking with a spell), on the fumble confirmation roll, then your attack fails spectacularly. The nature of the critical fumble will most often be your attack hitting an unintended target for damage/effect, or losing your grip on your weapon and dropping it at your feet, or a wild magic surge. Unintended targets can still be enemies, as this will be a random determination.
3. Hard Bans- The following things are banned for this game; candle of invocation item, belt of battle item, celerity spell, greater celerity spell, ruby knight vindicator prc, shapechange spell, thrallherd prc, cohorts taking leadership feat, truenamer class, any other item/prc/ability that breaks action economy as fast as the listed things can.
4. Soft Bans- nightsticks are limited to 1 per 5 character levels (rounded down) and must be carried on person and not in an extradimensional space, purposeful interparty conflict will only be tolerated on a case-by-case basis (you're the heroes, try to act like it), combat-oriented minions need to be kept to a minimum as the game will take longer the more actions and dice rolls players will have to do on their turns during combats, metagaming to an extent (keep your actions restricted to your character's knowledge of the game world as much as possible)
5. Magic Item Combinations- You may use the rules in the Magic Item Compendium for your starting equipment, and for future commissions in game from magic item makers. If you need help or have questions, please ask.
6. Yup-Yup Rule- If you are unable to post for a long time, especially during an encounter or social interaction, please let us know as soon as possible. Your character will still take actions based on how you have been roleplaying them and the current situation, but will not be at the forefront for decision making, ideas, leading, etc. Essentially, while you are away, they will nod, smile, and follow along. "yup, yup!"
7. Material Sources not listed are not necessarily banned or unavailable, they are simply not available for this character creation process. Content can still appear in game from such sources.
8. Intended Power Level of the Party- I would like the party to have a somewhat even spread of powerlevel, if possible. I use the class tiers from JaronK on GITP forums as a basis. I would like people to feel comfortable roleplaying their characters, so don't assume you must power game your character or be the strongest at anything. I will adjust the plot and encounters according to the capabilities of the characters.
9. Special Abilities that cost XP- Whenever you, a summon, a called creature you control, or a cohort use a spell/power/ability, or magic item you/they use would normally cost experience points, you must pay that experience point cost. In the case of the item, if the cost for the experience points was already factored into the item creation costs for it, then you may ignore this rule. For instance, if you gate in a creature that has gate as an ability and you want them to gate in more creatures, then you must pay the XP for each gate used in this way.
10. Rules As Written- 90% of this game will be following rules as written to make it easier for players to find the right answer. If there is a situation that isnt covered directly by the RAW, I will make a ruling by looking at similar things in the RAW and try to reach the best solution.
Posting AvailabilityI will be able to make several posts each week, as I can even post while at work. I would also like players that can do the same.
Game ThreadThe game thread can be found at this link.

Do not roll dice in this thread.

Last edited by Nezkrul; Today at 04:32 AM. Reason: Submissions reopened
Old Jul 20th, 2021, 01:08 PM
Pretty cool Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10058
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
This looks like fun.
Pre-spellplague and all that 4e garbage that messed with my beloved setting too.
I definitely have a character for this one. A former Cormyrian Warmage.
Old Jul 20th, 2021, 04:19 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3982
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Nice! Tired starting at 1st or 4th level all the time and never making it to high levels. I didn't see Savage Species, so I guess that book is not allowed then?
Old Jul 20th, 2021, 06:49 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Last Word Last Word
Has the tech level of the campaign been determined? I'm going to be the one to ask if there are pistols.

Dibs on a Gunmage!

Also, Spellthief? Is it allowed?

Sangus.

Last edited by Last Word; Jul 20th, 2021 at 07:23 PM.
Old Jul 20th, 2021, 08:51 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
SS isnt approved for character generation; the tech level is classic for the time period in FR, Spellthief is in Complete Adventurer and is allowed.

Last edited by Nezkrul; Jul 20th, 2021 at 08:56 PM.
Old Jul 20th, 2021, 10:31 PM
Pretty cool Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Word View Post
Has the tech level of the campaign been determined? I'm going to be the one to ask if there are pistols.
For a more complete answer; In the era the game is set in, the only firearms widely known are bombards and ship's cannons, and even these are pretty primitive and prone to blowing up. The church of Gond in Lantan apparently is capable of making personal firearms, but they are very rare.

Last edited by SpatulaOdoom; Jul 20th, 2021 at 11:01 PM.
Old Jul 20th, 2021, 11:20 PM
Pretty cool Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Marcus Stoddard
Race: Human
Ethnicity: Chondathan
Alignment: Neutral Good
Deity: Mystra
Homeland: Cormyr
Current residence: Waterdeep
Class: still determining general mix, might have a little bit of fighter gish going on, maybe notWizard mostly

Regional feat: Discipline

Cohort: Eloise Watson Cloistered Cleric of Mystra

Work very much in progress.

Last edited by SpatulaOdoom; Jul 22nd, 2021 at 02:16 AM.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 12:19 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpatulaOdoom View Post
Question: Would you allow a feat similar to improved toughness, but for skill points? +1 skill point per level for a feat effectively.
Open Minded feat immediately gives +5 skillpoints, otherwise no because I would like to avoid homebrew when possible for this game.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 12:30 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1167
Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters
So... this is me asking a really stupid question, which you'll say no to, and then I'll go make my brain try again.

I'm one of probably three people anywhere ever that actually thinks the broken mess of a class that is the Truenamer is a fun character. I got to play one at mid-levels briefly in one of my playgroup's last 3.5 games. I'd love to revisit it. I do notice that it's on your really short list of explicitly banned stuff.

I don't fault you for doing that. Half the abilities are dubiously worded at best, and there "infinite free gate" nonsense at level 20 is as good a reason to ban anything as you get. That said, if you'd be willing to reconsider, I do know what I'm doing with the class to play it responsibly. I would be completely avoiding some of the worst wording offenders and have suggestions on how to interpret several of the other effects in a sane and balanced manner, and I'd clear with you all my interpretations before trying to get away with anything. If we make it to 20, I'd forego the gate spam entirely. Nothing I'd do with the class is particularly injurious to the action economy (it's a knowledge bunny, with some battlefield control effects, and some limited utility summoning that won't have a huge burden on combat complexity).

But no hard feelings at all if you just tell me to stop being crazy and find something else to present.

Last edited by Born of Monsters; Jul 21st, 2021 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Removing Secret tags
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 02:04 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born of Monsters View Post
truenamer please?
No - 2 reasons.

A class whose primary special ability is based on a skill check is already asking for abuse

And

Forgotten Realms already has a mechanic for true names, and I want to maintain that for this game.

As a side note; hard bans are listed as hard for a reason.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 03:01 AM
Pretty cool Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
OK, so I have some background stuff percolating. Actually I might need to cut back on the complexity. I might have tied down to too many different things (organizations and setting people).
Do you have any advice on particular stuff you'd like to see in an application?
What sort of game are you planning on running? Is it more a dungeon crawl? Investigation and intrigue? Traveling adventure?
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 03:22 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
The first adventure is a dungeon crawl that will lead to a party driven story afterwards. Since meeting in a tavern is cliche, why not meet up right at the start of a dungeon, with a sense of urgency and having to trust strangers to succeed?

Id like to see backgrounds and a brief description of class/race before you submit a completed character. That way if you have questions, I already have an idea of what you are going for and it will enable me to be a better helper.

Last edited by Nezkrul; Jul 21st, 2021 at 03:26 AM.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 03:40 AM
Pretty cool Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Cool, background is usually what I work on first, and what I'm mostly focusing on now.
Mechanics are... Well it's pretty easy to take a character and make a number of different mechanical builds to represent that character (unless your idea is very niche). Human Wizard is not particularly exotic, so easy on that front.

Last edited by SpatulaOdoom; Jul 21st, 2021 at 03:41 AM.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 08:59 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1167
Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters
I don't care at all that my request was denied; indeed, I expected it to be.

I don't particularly care that you opted to reply to a private communication with a public response. However, regardless of your intent, your decision to do so while using the quote box to attribute to me something tonally very different from what I asked, and that was not actually a literal quote from my post at all, strikes me as disrespectful. I've removed the secret tag from my original question as a matter of record.

I wish your game and its players good fortune and happy gaming.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 01:21 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3982
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Name: Gauthak "Fearless" Thuliaga
Race: Goliath
Class: 8th level Goliath Barbarian/3rd level Fighter (Dungeon Crasher)
Deity: Kavaki, the Ram Lord
Alignment: CG
Personality: He gets along with everyone fairly well, especially dwarves. Their craftsmanship is very respected, and they gladly trade with the stout race. The elves, on the other hand, has him in awe and slightly frighten. Having someone that knows your great grandparents and are still young is a bit daunting to him. He welcomes anyone if they come in peace. If they can hold their own, they have his respect. He doesn't like weaklings and cowards. He first was disgusted with the rogues, but he learned of their uses and finally accepted them. He is pretty much like a common soldier at times, loves the tavern for their drink, food, women, and a good old fashion brawl.

Appearance: He Stands at 8 feet tall, green eyes, shaved head. His skin is gray, and his body looks like it has been carved from mountain stone, making him look like a walking mountain. Armed with a great bow at his back and huge maul, and with a finely crafted chainmail for armor, he looks like a force to be reckon with indeed.
right-aligned image

Last edited by Seekr34; Jul 25th, 2021 at 07:55 PM.