RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 05-12-2019, 08:45 AM
Crushestro, Inc.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7952
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Okay, I think I finally have a list of Eberron resources that I'm happy with. I think I've got all of the "official" resources endorsed by Wizards-- from sourcebooks to articles to (graphic)novels, web archives, and magazines. Aside from that, I've got several resources that Keith Baker is involved in (though I'm sure I've missed a bunch there), conversions to non-DnD systems, and some community resources like podcasts and wikis.

I'm absolutely happy to add stuff if people bring it to me and express an interest in having it added.

My challenge now is how best to organize things. I'd like this to be a resource for newbies and veterans alike. That makes me think there are two important features to organize by:
  1. Introduction versus Deep Dive
  2. Free versus Paywall

There's not a perfect way to organize it, of course. I think that maybe the best way is to
  1. Include, at the top, a non-spoilered "Where do I start?" section that has a few of the best resources for a beginner to get a little familiarized with Eberron. Try to keep it to relatively high-level material.
  2. Then keep the rest of it largely as presented (perhaps rearranging and reorganizing a bit?).
  3. Label everything as "free" versus "paywall" in a clear way. I'm not sure if this should be by just including a bold label or something, by organizing it so all free resources are listed first in each section, or both...

I'm not opposed to multiple rearrangement, if anyone gives suggestions on restructuring. So if anyone wants to give feedback at any point, I'm happy to hear it. Obviously, no pressure.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:35 AM
Yankee in the UK

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5551
oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk
Sounds pretty good to me -- I think the only point I'd really make is that I'd like to see Point 1 expanded/split up a bit
  • Do I want to play in Eberron? Make me want to play in Eberron
  • I want to play in Eberron, but am brand new, what do I need to know to make a character? The very basics of the world?
  • I'm new, but starting to dive deeper...

I don't know, maybe that last point is just merging into the whole body. But I think having some places that sell Eberron and a few recommendations for very first sources to learn about the world / character options are good.

When I've been drafting an ad for a game I really wanted somewhere to point people that quickly got across "This is why people are excited about playing into Eberron; here's what I ended up with:

A bit torn from my game advertisement draft

but I'm not sure I'm that happy about it, and I'd love to know if you know if anyone had a good short link that sold Eberron really well.

Then for where to start -- I think if in the advertisement of the world some aspect really grabbed you, just reading about that area on wikis would be a decent fast way to get in? If you weren't sure what kind of character you wanted, I think the Wayfarer's guide is fairly good at giving an overview of the world + interesting character ideas, but then it's pay and I'm a 5e guy.

And if you're ready to go a little bit deeper I'd start with the 3.5 and 4e main sourcebooks? (I've heard people prefer the 3.5, but they both seemed really good in my remembered skimming/read throughs)

On the paid vs. free question, it may be worth pointing out the Unearthed Arcana resources? Most of the new mechanical aspects of the Wayfarer's guide are available freely as test material there, as well as their draft of a 5e Artificer class. This is the list I had in my ad, but I may have missed something:
Old 05-16-2019, 12:22 PM
Crushestro, Inc.

Tools
User Statistics
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
I've been a bit distracted with some other pursuits, but I'm hoping to work on the "introductory" section sometime in the next few days. I listened to that podcast episode, and agree that it's a reasonable introduction! It's a bit rough, because the hosts definitely do refer to some things without necessarily explaining them, so that's bound to create some confusion... BUT, they do a great job of covering the major features of the world and getting Eberron's appeal across. And I haven't found any introductions to the world that are perfect (yet).

I'll likely use (and/or modify) the stuff that you've presented in getting the introduction put together, oztk. Thanks for that!
Old 05-16-2019, 10:58 PM
Lemon Eater

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23221
Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak
Haldo..

Eberron is my favorite campaign world. It is just uniquely different then the others, but in ways I would create the campaign. In my early games (I'm talking about the 80's when I was a teen) my campaigns would have assembly line factories with Magic powering the plant.
I had druidic agriculture growing food and feeding the masses. People didn't get sick as clerics would cast heal spells. I always looked at Magic and thought how would we monetize that.

I love the economics of the Dragon Marked Houses.
I love how halflings have made a business by using prestidigitation to season the foods and have clean inns..

I love the shades of grey with priest being able to be two alignment steps away.
Having a LE cleric of the Silver Flame was one of my favorite clerics.

I have a warforged Preist of the Dark Six, who calls it the Sovereign Host but with the lost aspects since the host was corrupted and deleted the history of the less savory gods...

Anyway... Hey Unko.. Looking forward to this project.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:01 AM
Yankee in the UK

Tools
User Statistics
You've got me curious to listen to the podcast episode again, Unko -- I'm sure it's not perfect, but it's what I knew. I should really hunt through text based introductions, too -- again, the WotC thing I found was just what was at hand, not the result of a thorough search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unko Talok View Post
I'll likely use (and/or modify) the stuff that you've presented in getting the introduction put together, oztk. Thanks for that!
Of course -- pick and choose and change as you see fit. This month's Unearthed Arcana was The Artificer Returns, a further tweak on their artificer class with some new subclasses and spells and whatnot.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:19 PM
Crushestro, Inc.

Tools
User Statistics
@Embrodak : Yeah, I really loved that warforged character. Too bad the game was pretty short-lived (by post count, anyway!). Ah, well. Have you played him in other games?

It's really cool that you had already thought about some of that in your early games. Most of my early games were very high-fantasy, tolkeinesque. I didn't really branch out into other kinds of worlds until I was exposed to Eberron and I started to think "Oh, wow, there are many different takes you could use..." Granted, eberron was the first setting that I really dove into at all.

@oztk : Yeah, I just haven't yet seen an audio introduction that's 1) doesn't go on tangents and talk about stuff that it doesn't explain, and 2) hits all the highlights without 3) becoming too long to be worth the time investment for someone. It's a super difficult thing to do! I think that the podcast you linked has done the best job so far.

Yeah, I saw that they published a new artificer! I haven't taken a look at it quite yet, but I'm excited to give it a look-see. Keith Baker apparently posted thoughts about it on his blog, so I should really read it, collect my own thoughts, and then see if the creator is still not a fan and why.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:23 PM
Lemon Eater

Tools
User Statistics
Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak
Eberron 5e Hardbound core sourcebook announcement for 2019 came out.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/comicbo...ardcover-2019/

I assume it is the final copy of the Wayfinders guide.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:12 AM
Crushestro, Inc.

Tools
User Statistics
I was looking at some comments about this yesterday, and heard some people suggesting that it would contain plenty of material not currently in the Wayfinder's Guide. Even if it *is* just the Hardcover WGtE, I'm excited. But even moreso if it's a full campaign setting book with fleshed-out lore, etc. Hell, even if most of the lore is just lifted directly from the 3.5 / 4E campaign settings, it would be good to see the world easily-available to this generation of DnD without people having to go back and find old books to learn about Eberron.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:27 PM
Lemon Eater

Tools
User Statistics
Still haven't seem anything official. I'm hoping it is the final of the Wayfinders guide, so I get the update for free...
Old 05-22-2019, 12:41 PM
Crushestro, Inc.

Tools
User Statistics
Okay, so I've tried to get the quickest introduction I can that would "Sell" Eberron to someone who's not familiar with it. I wanted to see if anyone had feedback. My skin isn't thin, so feel absolutely free to tell me to add, remove, replace, or reword something if you don't think it works.

Something I know I would like to add is a spoiler'd small art gallery for inspiration, with appropriate artist recognition. I think that's something that's really missing from the "sell it to me" section below.

Possible IntroWhy should I want to play in Eberron?
There are a lot of campaign settings out there, not to mention the wide open world of homebrew. So you might wonder why you would want to learn and play in Eberron. So how about a little primer to whet your appetite?

Eberron is built to have everything normal D&D has, but with a swashbuckling pulp and noir feel. The gods are distant, morality is grayer, low-level magic is common and scientific, and the main continent of Khorvaire is in an uneasy peace after the century-long Last War ended with the unexplained Day of Mourning, a magical cataclysm that wiped out the whole country of Cyre. You might consider playing in Eberron if:
  • You like a world with swashbuckling, pulp action, and/or noir elements. A century-long war has just ended in a tenuous peace. The threat of evil from all sides is a constant presence. The world is ripe for heroes and anti-heroes to burst on the scene.
  • You like the idea of a world where low-level magic plays a role in everyday life, but high-level magic is rare and wondrous. Utilitarian casters called Magewrights permeate the world, using magic to spruce up their cooking or fix damage to structures. The last war employed battalions of "wandslingers" as artillery units. Twelve economic behemoths calls "dragonmarked houses" use innate magical prowess to corner the market on communication, protection, transportation, and more. But there are also rare and ancient magics of fallen Giant society, among others.
  • You like unique takes on races mixed in with standard fantasy tropes. There is a recognized goblinoid nation. Ogres, Medusa, Gnolls, and other "monsters" play an active role in the world, and aren't necessarily just targets for PCs to kill. There are Elves that worship their undead ancestors, halflings who ride dinosaur mounts, gnomes that work in a vast network of spies, not to mention several new races like the Warforged, Shifter, Changeling, and Kalasthar.
  • You want a world where the players are truly special. Most NPCs in Eberron are classless or low-level, and even the greatest heroes usually don't approach anything like 20th level. Characters that hit level ten are among the most powerful of mortals... but there are still myriad threats to challenge them.
  • You don't want to keep up with Metaplot. The novels associated with Eberron are non-canonical, and new editions don't introduce major changes in the world like the "Time of Troubles" or "Spellplague" events in the Forgotten Realms. Once you've learned the world, you can safely play in it for as long as you want without having to keep up.

The above are just a few highlights of the world to convey some of the flavor. But if you want more information without dedicating too much time reading campaign books, consider the following resources:
  • Text: The Welcome to Eberron! post introducing Eberron for 5th edition is a fantastic overview.
  • Audio: You might enjoy the Total Party Thrill podcast's episode 33, which gives an overview of the world from two DMs who run games in the world.

If you'd like to take a slightly deeper dive into the lore without fully committing, I highly recommend An Adventurer's Guide to Eberron. It is a short (66 page) book with blurbs on the races, countries, religions, and powergroups of the world, covered in inspirational art. While it's officially a 3.5 supplement, it is very focused on lore and not mechanics.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:19 PM
Crushestro, Inc.

Tools
User Statistics
Hey-- so, in addition to the Official Hardcover coming this fall, We'll be getting another PDF from Keith and Wayne Chang sometime this year. Based on the title and his description, I'm guessing this is going to focus on the Planes and the non-five-nations locations in Khorvaire.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:52 PM
Yankee in the UK

Tools
User Statistics
Ooooh, hadn't seen that. I'm...not that interested in the planes, tbh, in Eberron or any world, but love the non-five-nations locations.

Has there been much solid information about what's in the official hardcover / when it comes out? I haven't seen anything, but other than occasionally dipping into the Eberron facebook group I haven't really been watching....
Old 07-23-2019, 04:04 PM
Crushestro, Inc.

Tools
User Statistics
I still don't know a ton about it (and I'm not sure there's been a super-official announcement, even though there's been a lot of non-official announcements from people that would know...). I kind of wonder if that book will include non-UA versions of the Artificer and Mystic, given their places in the world. I get the idea that if it wasn't in Eberron, the Mystic would be released for a Dark Sun official book.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:47 PM
Lemon Eater

Tools
User Statistics
FYI - I just opened a 5e Eberron game...
Old 09-14-2019, 10:49 AM
Crushestro, Inc.

Tools
User Statistics
I'll be trying to find the time to apply over the next few days! I'm interested in trying out a few builds in 5E and in Eberron. Considering either a Good-aligned Blood of Vol cleric/paladin that really emphasizes the divine spark within each of us (Oath of Redemption Paladin, maybe?...), or a build that tries to maximize out-of-combat proficiencies (maybe someone that works for one of the guilds of the dragonmarked houses, without necessarily being dragonmarked themselves?). I'm still thinking on it.

I'd definitely recommend anyone paying attention to this forum to apply. Embro is a great player (and I assume great DM) with a great grasp of Eberron's feel.