RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 03-16-2020, 11:49 AM
Dice are now Fate Cubes

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6984
Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen
Rappan Athuk - Mouth of Doom

Game NameRappan Athuk- Mega Dungeon Crawl 5e
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeMega Dungeon Crawl
FlavourModerately serious, Grim and hopeless.
Plot Summary
Title
Rappan Athuk 5e

Game DescriptionThe Legend of Rappan Athuk is well known, told numerous times by bards, adventurers, sages, and loremasters. It is summarized below. The characters may know some or all of this legend. Many hundreds of years ago, the forces of good allied to destroy the main Temple of Orcus in the ancient city of Tsar. With their temple in ruins, the surviving high priests of this accursed demon-god fled the city with an army of enemies on their trail — an army of heroic fighters, clerics and paladins — led by Zelkor, a powerful wizard. The exact fate of these evil priests is unknown, for not only did the remnants of the followers of Orcus disappear from all human reckoning, but so did the army of light that followed after them disappear as well. Some said that in the eternal scales the loss of so many good men was a fair price to pay to rid the world of so much evil.

The evil cult, however, had not been destroyed. The surviving priests and their followers instead settled on a hill near the Forest of Hope, a sylvan woodland near the Coast Road. There they found a vast underground Stuck Doors and Wandering Monsters, complex of caverns and mazes, carving out a volcanic intrusion beneath the hill. The priests of Orcus had found the perfect lair to continue their vile rituals. For many years, they carried on in secret, hidden from the light and from the knowledge of men. Many years later, their underground delving completed, the evil priests erected a hideous mausoleum and graveyard atop the hill. It is believed that these graves are the final resting place of the pursuing army of heroes that had been destroyed to a man. Soon after the mausoleum was erected the peaceful creatures of the wood began to disappear. Though many rangers and druids investigated these happenings, the cause of the creatures’ disappearance was not immediately determined. Some years later a powerful group of adventurers, led by Bofred, a high priest of Thyr, investigated the evil happenings and found the sunken graveyard leading to a labyrinthine complex. Bofred and his companions found great hordes of evil creatures in the complex. Though some of his companions returned from their expedition, telling tales of fantastic treasure and ferocious monsters, Bofred was never seen again — lost in the catacombs beneath the cursed mausoleum.

For the last century and more, ranks of adventurers have ventured to the newfound dungeon. Many fell prey to bandits and monsters in the surrounding wilderness. Rumors suggest that of those who survived to reach the mausoleum and sunken graveyard, most were slain by guardians of green stone or perished near the entrance. Those rare few who return from deeper treks speak of horrible undead and creatures that cannot be slain. All who have explored Rappan Athuk offer this one universal piece of advice: “Don’t go down the Well.

IntroductionWelcome! Odds are that you have, at one time or another, heard the name Rappan Athuk. For those who have not this is THE GRAND DADDY of all dungeon crawls. When in first came out it was nearly impossible to get through without some substantial help from the DM and a lot, a lot of luck. Also the need for a necromancer...or two.

The PDF for this game is nearly 700 pages long. That is for the entirety of the game, which chunks we will not use or ever see the light of day. This is a dungeon crawl by all means of the phrase so if you are one who loves elaborate story lines and elegant plot hooks, don't join this one

We will begin at the Mouth of Doom Side Dunegon. In times past I have tried to start in the actual town and work our way to the dungeon but we are going to start there and build up synergy within the party as you all fight to survive.

PlaystyleThis is a dungeon crawl via play by post so this will mainly be Rollplay rather than roleplay. Although in my mind your explanation of what you are doing is just as important was what you roll. You can tell me your searching the room and roll a natural 20 but if what you should be looking for is on the ceiling, well looks like a gelatinous ooze just fell on you.

I also plan on playing this by the book. I will be letting the dice fall where they fall. So you could be unlucky, or incredibly lucky! We shall see

House Rules

CharactersClass: Standard choices
Race:Standard choices
Level: 1
Alignment: No evil
HP: Max first level, then your choice, roll or average.
Stats: 27 pt buy. Nothing higher than 15 before race mods.
Party Size and posting expectationsI will be looking for a total of 6 players to join. The assumption is that some might drop out at some point so it would allow us to keep it up and running.

I have 4 kids so my posting can be erratic. The goal is to post at least 2x a week to keep it going at an ok pace. There will be times where I might only get 1 in, and times when we might be able to do more, but I believe the average should be about twice a week.

ApplicationsName: The name to be written on your tombstone
Image: I will need an image for tokens so choose one that you like for your character!
Race:
Class:
Character Sheet: Or stat array if you want to avoid a character sheet until chosen.
Trait:
Ideal:
Flaw:
Bond:
Personality: What is your character like? How do they get along with others?
Background: Why is your character on a suicide run into the legenedary Rappan Athuk? Gold? prestige? love? a masochistic tendency?
Roleplay sample of a fight:While much of this game will be determined on your rolls I do still expect us to craft a story together so give me a short example (Paragraph at least?) of how you would describe your character in a fight scene.

About meI have played D&D for a the majority of my life. I have played more than I have dm'd and I have always enjoyed fighting and the rules more than the story. This site has helped me grow to love the story line so much more and has improved my writing skills tremendously. I have tried to run this campaign before in pathfinder & 5e but ran into a lot of real life issues and I was over extended. I can promise you I will never leave without warning, and I will do everything in my power to make any leave temporary as long as life allows.

DeadlineDeadline will be tentativley set for April 5th but if we get enough quality applicants I will move it sooner.
With enough applicants already I am going to cut down the deadline by one week. March 29th will be the new deadline.

UPDATING DEADLINE TO WED MARCH 25th AT MIDNIGHT CST!

We have more than enough applicants to run two groups so 3 more days to finalize or any last moment applicants! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Last edited by Totentanzen; 03-22-2020 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:52 AM
Dice are now Fate Cubes

Tools
User Statistics
Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen
Applications
When I write Complete you have met the minimum requirements for the application.
PlayerCharacterRaceClassApplication Status
penbeast0RontaeGoblinRangerComplete
DrachenspiritIlari Zorea DaylanderGoliathFighterComplete
CheshireTolan TealeafHalflingWizard (Divination)Complete
Lemming23LetholdusStout HalflingCleric (Tempest)Complete
Silent Rain Chance LeforteHumanFighterComplete
KarlCullinaneEarahl KayeDragonbornBardComplete
ConductorCarissa MirowenElf (Eladrin)Rouge (Spy)Complete
DarklinFerengar HighbornHigh ElfWizardComplete
BinnFordTorrim "Tim" TimbersRock GnomeWarlockComplete
Triedtherest Estriss-Dahk El-Pasamay-SalazarYuanti PurebloodSorcerer (Divine Soul)Complete
DraidenTasin Ninke JafliroarMountain DwarfSorcererComplete
Numen WraithHoh-ka'arBugbearRougeComplete
BubsmcpFlickerDeep GnomeDruidComplete
TouketsuSamuel KellaidHalf-ElfFighterComplete
KshnikJeremiahTortleMonkComplete
TrmmilwwiThrillTabaxiPaladinComplete
YoshimiSnap KickKenkuMonkComplete

Rule Changes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totentanzen View Post
StatsI am one who greatly enjoys randomness in terms of the game so I will give people the chance to roll for their stats if they would rather.

You can roll 4d6 and keep the highest 3. But be warned, once you roll you cannot go back

If you want to roll in this thread here and pray to cthulhu that you roll well!
Stats

I made a bad decision and I should feel bad....

Either all yall rolled incredibly well or just downright bad....LittleblueNA rolled a 13 point buy.

Sorry to completley steam roll your characters but I am gonna go back to 27 point buy.

To compensate though, I will allow you to raise ONE score to 16 before racial modifiers if you so choose. The cost from 15-16 would be 12 points though.
RacesFor race you can choose from PHB, EEPC, or VGtM. I have also allowed the tortle.

2 GroupsSince making this game advertisement I have purchased the map set for these dungeons, which for my life, will make it infinitely easier to run and you can all spend more time dying Exploring the dungeons. I also will be starting at the mouth of the dungeon so I won't have to worry about the actual trip there, which seems to be the doom to my many campaigns? What can I say, I am a man of the dungeon, not forests. Well spoken by an introvert if I do say myself.

With that in mind I will be running 2 groups through the dungeon assuming we still have enough quality applicants. But I will put my foot down at 2 and will not go past that.

Last edited by Totentanzen; 03-26-2020 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:27 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1290
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Rontae
right-aligned image

Class: Ranger (PHB or revised if DM prefers)
Race: Goblin
Level: 1
Alignment: CH/N
HP: 13
Stats: STR 8, DEX 16, CON 16, INT 8, WIS 14, CHA 12

Appearance: Small, skinny, warty green skin when it shows through the layer of dirt, Rontae seems a typical goblin urchin. He seems a bit more graceful than most, a bit more likely to smile, a bit less obsequious. Although at first typical, after a minute or two you realize the urchin in front of you doesn't think of himself as poor or needy or starving. In fact, he seemed strangely confident. Why?

Personality: Although an urchin, Rontae isn't starving or abused. Instead he has a circle of strangely assorted people in the city who will feed him if he's hungry or let him sleep in a shed or stable if he needs to lie low. It's all about the favors. He does favors for people, not for money, though sometimes they tip, but just to create a balance where others will do favors for him if needed. And, of course, for the pleasure of the game.

Backstory: The son of a local back alley woman of fallen stature, Rontae knew nothing of his father. No name, no profession, only the remains of a battered tin Wache badge and an indecipherable parchment, which he carried strung like a charm around his neck. His mother had gone out at his birth and he had been passed around the other girls like a chartreuse blouse, leaving him with too much knowledge of humanoid nature and no real attachments. So in this city Rontae grew, surefooted in its slums, its back alleys, and its meeting spots where men and women go to be unseen by others. Now he sets forth to make a name for himself.

RP Sample: Rontae sat, in defiance of municipal orders, on the great war catapult Grond on her platform of mounded earth; one of the two great engines which overlook the sloping plains that lead to the West Gate from which attacks on the city always came. Whosoever holds Grond and her sister Guri, the "Bringers of Death," hold the city for they are always the first line of defense against any attackers.

There was some cosmic reason in this for it was the Wache that held the city for the Duke and Rontae, though unknown and unacknowledged, was a son of a Wacheman. He had pushed off Faziros Velthos, the dragonborn son of the powerful sorcerer, Farmasch. The Empire of the Dragon had been a time of great power and wealth, but it had fallen from power long ago. "Let me up," cried Lorben Halfelven, whose family controlled the trade in healing herbs from the woods that surrounded the city, but Rontae would not let him climb the lever arm. Instead he hopped up and down in triumph, hooting a rude remark at the Wachemen posted at the gate, but they just smiled. All the men of the Wache knew Rontae of old, he was practically a watchman himself, though not paid or on the rolls, and often invited himself along in an unofficial capacity when things looked interesting. All the herbalists, the sweetmeat sellers, and the ladies of negotiable virtue knew Rontae too, for this was his city, slumming in majesty amid the decaying woods and mire.

Last edited by penbeast0; 03-19-2020 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:45 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13513
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Ilari Zorea Daylander

Race: Goliath

Class: Fighter

Character Sheet

Trait: I have different assumptions from those around me concerning personal space, blithely invading others' space in innocence, or reacting to ignorant invasion of my own.
Ideal: I must be carefu l, for I have no way of telling friend from foe here.
Flaw: I pretend not to understand the local language in order to avoid interactions I would rather not have.
Bond: So long as I have this token from my homeland (jade stone on simple leather sash cord necklace), I can face any adversity in this strange land.

Personality/Description: Ilari stands just shy of 8' tall with a muscular physique. Her skin tone is that of her racial heritage, and she also has tribal tattoos from her clan. She strikes an opposing figure until she smiles. Her whole face lights up and her friendly, infectious smile, laugh and attitude makes everyone feel safer.

Background: Ilari is from a Goliath clan far away in the high mountains. When she was a young teenager, she was put on a ship by her clan leaders that was headed anywhere. She was to work for her keep until they dropped her wherever they wished.
The "why" wasn't discussed, but the truth is, she fell in love with a young male who was spoken for when she was just 13, and soon found she was with child. As the young male was set for an arranged marriage, she was 'kept up' until the child was born, a daughter, and then she was banished from the tribe without her daughter.
She was a emotional wreck for half a year, first scrubbing decks and lifting anything heavy, eventually off the ship and on the docks.
She even worked for a local smith for a time.
There was a short time in which she hadn't learned from her past really, and she took up with a large half-orc adventurer who was something of a Rogue as well. He was harsh, hardcore, and a skilled fighter, working as an adventurer. He had a dream to visit the legendary Rappan Athuk.
They became a pair, one seldom without the other over the next year. She was again smitten, and crushed when he was killed on an adventure a few months back. Despite his outward persona, he hadn't pushed her into becoming physical in their relationship. Instead, he listened to her story and said he understood from his own past. When she found out about his death, she began working almost night and day to try and quell her despair.
One night, while digging yet another grave - which didn't help her mental state - she caught some grave robbers. She easily bested them with a shovel, but when the locals praised her for respecting the dead, it occurred to her how she could do just that.
Now, she's arming herself to set out on adventures for the greater good, herself, and in honor of her fallen love, starting with his dream, Rappan Athuk.

What she brings to the RP table: She's a large presence who goes beyond just being a hulky, protective fighter in that she's as caring and loving as they come. Befriend her, and she'll go above and beyond trying to keep you cheerful and more importantly, from harm.

Roleplay sample of a fight: The group of thieves hadn't done their due diligence on their target. What had believed to be the backroom of a bank, had instead been an underground gambling establishment that only operated at night. Busting through the door, they find a crowd of folk with coins a plenty out in full view.
Improvising, they all pulled their blades and demanded everyone throw their coin pouches and valuables into the center of the room.
Behind them a deep, yet feminine voice said, "Yeah, that's not gonna happen." They turned to see a an almost eight foot tall Goliath in chainmail with a huge maul across her shoulders smiling at them.
They all smiled back sheepishly and then her smile turned into a frown.
They rushed her, and she stepped out of the way and slammed one of the six aside with her weapon.
To their dismay, she was fast on her feet as well. Two of them leaped and grabbed onto her legs, trying to shove her over. Her athletics ability had her pulling them with her as she moved backwards quickly. She lifted one and slammed him to the floor, while the other she kicked to the side.
By now, the crowd was loving the display.
With a low 10' ceiling, she grabbed a rafter, and pulled herself up on a table as the other three tried to stab at her with their blades. She took a step back on the large round table and it broke, flipping up the front to smack one of the thieves square on the chin, knocking him out cold and probably dislodging some teeth.
Back on the floor the remaining two hacked away at her. Twisting and stepping this way and that their blows having no effect even when they struck her chain armor.
She was hard to kill.
One threw a dagger at her head and the pommel slammed into her cheek, causing her head to turn.
She turned and looked back at the thief and her eyes narrowed.
Mercy?, was all he got the chance to say when she went to work.
Two maul swings later, they were laid out in two separate directions in the room.
Instead of cheering, the crowd smiled, murmured, and the gambling continued.
The "bouncer", then got to picking up bodies and throwing them out in the dark alley outside.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 03-17-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:35 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 855
Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire
Application

right-aligned image

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=84097
Name: Tolan Tealeaf
Race: Halfling (Ghostwise)
Class: Wizard (Divination)
Background: Sage (Discredited Academic)

Personality: Tolan has a bad habit of pushing his luck and taking great ricks. Tempting fate at every turn. He does not go far with out a cup of tea and a good story from a friend. “All problems can be solved with a cup of tea.”

Personality Traits: I'm well known for my work, and I want to make sure everyone appreciates it. I'm always taken aback when people haven't heard of me.
Ideal: Emotions must not cloud our minds of logical thinking.
Bond: One can always bend fates luck into their favor.
Flaw: I can’t keep secrets to save my life or anyone else’s

Backstory: Tolan was accepted into the magic academy at a young age. He quickly found that he had a nack for divination spells. Unfortunately for the halfling, his use of divination spells when he was not supposed to got him kicked out for cheating on tests. As the years passed Tolan went from tavern to tavern telling people's future or scamming them out of their coin...it was hard to tell which. Preferring to drink tea over ale, he learned how to foresee things within the tea leaves at the bottom of each cup.

Tolan started to dream every night about the Rappan Athuk. Something was down there that drew him to it. What was it? Power? Magic items lost to time? His death? He had to know.

Roleplay sample
Tolan looked at the group fighting in front of him. "Umm...excuse me...can...can I just get through, I need my tea set..."

The halfling scoffed in frustration as no one seemed to pay attention to him. Seeing an opening that allowed his small stature to slip in between a few legs, a grin formed over Tolan's face. Muttering a few words in Halfling, little bits of electricity began cascading from the palm of his hand to the tip of his fingers. "Right. Well if you won't move for me, I will just have to do it for you." Darting under the legs of the first person in front of him. ZAP The man dropped to the floor twitching. Tolan grabbed the ankle of the next burly man in his way. ZAP This one did not fall, but he got the idea. He screamed in pain and started searching for what had attacked him.

The halfling was already gone. One final drunk man stood in his path. The wizard was spotted.... The towering man started to take a swing at Tolan, but the halfling was faster. Quickly muttering a different spell, causing frost to form on the man's arm. This slowed the attack just enough for it to miss. Almost at a skip, Tolan moved to he prized tea set, turned with a big smile, and a bow. "Thank you gentleman, I will now take my leave." With a snap he disappeared.

Last edited by Cheshire; 03-17-2020 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:42 PM
Dice are now Fate Cubes

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by penbeast0 View Post
Was on your last run before RL kicked you in the head. Interested in trying again. Can run Mad Margaret again but she's closed 4 campaigns now so she may be bad luck. Let's see what I can come up with.
Yeah....if that's the case lets do a new one
Old 03-17-2020, 10:03 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 783
Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23
Application
left-aligned image
Name: Letholdus

Race: Stout Halfling

Class: Cleric (Tempest)

Character Sheet: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=83946

Trait: 1) I see omens in every event and action. The gods try to speak to us through thunder, we just need to listen to their deep rumbling voices.
2) I've spent so long outside the community that I have little practical experience dealing with people in the outside world.

Ideal: I seek to prove myself worthy of my god's favour by matching my actions against her teachings.

Flaw: I harbour raging, stormy thoughts that my isolation and meditation only encourage rather than dampen.

Bond: I remain outside the community, but act in bloody vengeance against those who would harm it.

Personality: Letholdus is the epitome of his goddess, Praxidice, the Exacter of Justice and her tempestuous nature, or at least he tries to be. His ire, when roused, takes a while to calm, just as the stormy seas roil for hours after the storm before becoming placid once more. His anger is quickly roused when others under his protection are threatened or suffering, and once that occurs, he leads from the front, getting stuck into the action alongside other front line warriors, and taking the fight to the enemy. A little impetuous at times, he will never leave an ally behind if he can help it, and has vowed under all the stars at the Place of Skulls to return with every single missing villager (alive or dead), or die trying.

Background: The halfling village of Pleasant Green is a typical Halfling community, agricultural, lively, friendly, and welcoming. Letholdus is none of those things. As a cleric of Praxidice, he takes the darker path, the avenger of those who would despoil the community. Where the others live together, he lives apart, shunned by the community on account of his brooding, tempestuous nature yet still playing an important part. While others do not talk to him, they leave offerings of food by his burrow in acknowledgement of his sacrifice. Where the others wear bright colours and their laughter rings out, Letholdus wears drab greys, browns and blacks, muttering rumbling curses as he goes angrily through the land. The villagers know that their idyllic lives come at a great cost to Letholdus - any threat to the community is stamped down before it can rise, or if it occurs before he can stop it, the cursed halfling will stop at nothing to enact Praxidice's vengeance on the perpetrator. As is the practice of the clergy of Praxidice, he has eschewed his surname so that his actions do not bring shame to his family.

Recently Letholdus was on the trail of a murderer who killed one of the village's farmers over some supposed slight or other, and was gone for several weeks. When he returned, he found Pleasant Green in a rather parlous state - homes destroyed, crops trampled, and a large number of the village's inhabitants missing, others strewn around dead. Letholdus has set off again, in pursuit of the thugs and slavers who have despoiled the village, his only clue a whispered "Rappan Athuk..." from a dying baker. He will find the missing villagers and return them to safety, and he will enact Praxidice's divine vengeance on those who have crossed him.

Roleplay sample of a fight: Letholdus mutters to himself in a mishmash of harsh, guttural syllables as his eyes darken and narrow. As his unintelligible words rise to a crescendo, his voice becoming deeper, louder, and seemingly with looming shadows to it with every passing second, the sound of thunder rises slowly in the background. With a final curse spat at the enemy before him, Letholdus charges forward, snarling, his eyes blazing with dancing lights, his fearsome visage out of place in the confines of the cherubic-looking halfling face. The orc's shock at the sight of Letholdus makes him pause momentarily as the halfling cleric's warhammer smashes into his throat, mangling the creature's piecemeal armour and leaving him a choking ruin. The halfling's savagery takes the other orcs aback a little, but their own ferocity matches the halfling's own, and their champion descends on the spiteful little fellow. A cruel smile cuts the halfling's face, knife-like, and he reaches out and touches the orc champion, a chanted demonic curse pouring forth uninterrupted by the flecks of spit and anger that erupts like the sea's spume. As the champion collapses in his wake, Letholdus is already striding toward his next target, death and vengeance the only things on his mind.

He / Him. Playing: Letholdus, Halfling Tempest Cleric; Phoebus, Variant Human Ranger.
Running: The First Mask (Cthulhu Zero)

Last edited by Lemming23; 03-17-2020 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:18 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 783
Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23
I'm a big fan of cultivating links with other characters, so in that vein, if the three of us so far are chosen, I'd like us to consider doing so.

There's an obvious racial connection between Letholdus and Tolan, so perhaps Tolan was also from Pleasant Green, and the two are accompanying each other, Tolan using his divination magics to track down the missing villagers? Could be an interesting roleplaying angle to add to the dungeoneering, as initially the two don't talk much given Letholdus' outsider status and the taboo on communicating with each other, but over time (if they survive) that could give way to an easy camaraderie.

With Ilari, there's a couple of good connections - both are outsiders to a large extent, and could warm to each other recognising similar backgrounds. Their front-line warrior status would make a good, if incongruous team too, the giant and the halfling fighting alongside each other.

Possible connection with Chance: As a soldier and obvious man of honour, Chance may have been willing to help Letholdus track down a fellow soldier who has committed some crime against the village of Pleasant Green; perhaps when the criminal's unit passed through, he did something despicable, and when Letholdus tracked the unit down to find out who was responsible, Chance helped unmask the culprit, the soldier's honour and distaste for the crimes committed proving stronger than his loyalty to a rotten apple in the unit?

He / Him. Playing: Letholdus, Halfling Tempest Cleric; Phoebus, Variant Human Ranger.
Running: The First Mask (Cthulhu Zero)

Last edited by Lemming23; 03-17-2020 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:40 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 855
Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire
I also like linking characters back stories. Could be fun to link Tolan and Letholdus. Were you thinking that they started the journey in Pleasent Green, or they met up along the way headed for the same place?

Last edited by Cheshire; 03-17-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:11 AM
Dice are now Fate Cubes

Tools
User Statistics
Just a note, my table above saying completed is just that you have met the minimum requirements for the application. By no means are you locked in or anything!
Old 03-17-2020, 11:16 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6781
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
right-aligned image

Name: Chance Leforte
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Fighter

Background: Soldier
Trait: I can stare down a hell hound without flinching
Trait: I judge people by their actions, not their words.
Ideal: Our lot is to lay down our lives in defense of others.
Flaw: I have little respect for anyone who is not a proven warrior.
Bond: Those who fight beside me are those worth dying for.

Description: Chance stands just over six feet tall. His time as a soldier has left his muscular frame crisscrossed with various scars, earned from a lifetime of battle. Armored and armed to the teeth, he cuts an imposing figure.

Personality: Chance is easygoing and a stalwart companion, willing to lay down his life for his brothers in arms, even those he barely knows. His fearlessness and undying loyalty to those he fights with serves him well, but are marked by a stark contrast with those he feels are cowards.

History: Having served his time as a soldier, Chance had since decided to put those days behind him. Although he loved his time in the service, he began to feel that it was not challenging him anymore, and that was nothing something he could abide.

He had considered mercenary work, but found that most of it was tedious guard duty or jobs that were not strictly legal. He wanted none of it. Having heard of Rappan Athuk and the reputation for those that go exploring there never returning, he deemed it a worthy challenge.

Roleplay sample of a fight: Chance heard the two approaching though he brush near his tiny camp, likely attracted by the campfire.

"Oi, what 'ave we 'ere," one of the two brigands asked as they entered the flickering campfire light, a gap-toothed smile across his face.

Chance could see the other, heavy crossbow in hand, skulking near the periphery of the camp, attempting to stay just out of sight. He had only just made camp and his arms were still propped against the log he was sitting on beside him.

"I don't know what you had hoped to find here, but I assure you it will not be what you are looking for," Chance replied calmly as he stood, shield and spear in hand.

"I'll be the judge 'o that," the brigand spat before suddenly running toward chance, shortsword suddenly in his hand.

Chance waited for the last moment before exploding into action. While simultaneously ducking low and stepping forward, he raised his shield up over his shoulder, behind his head, while thrusting his spear forward. The brigand with the shortsword looked down in surprise to find the tip of a spear thrust through his chest. A moment later a 'clang' against his shield told Chance that the other brigand had fired his crossbow.

He pulled his spear free from the man's chest and turned, flipping his grip on his weapon so that his hand was under the shaft of the spear. Now facing his other assailant, he let his spear fly as the brigand was still reloading his weapon. It impaled him through the chest and against the tree behind him. He coughed blood before his head dropped down, lifeless.

Last edited by Silent Rain; 03-17-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:55 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 800
KarlCullinane KarlCullinane KarlCullinane KarlCullinane KarlCullinane KarlCullinane KarlCullinane
Earahl
right-aligned image

Earahl Kaye
Personality Really? A group of people going into a massive dungeon? Why, I'll get ten songs out of it, at least!

Background Earahl is the son of the famous Hyrahm and Bymahm Kaye, that pair of Bards known throughout the lands for their traveling show where they re-live their days as Adventurers Extraordinaire. He grew up on tales of dragon wars and renegade gods while enjoying the moderate wealth that adventuring had brought his family.

He is looking now to repeat their success in his own right, to carry on the family tradition. Every adventure should have a Bard to share the road and the tale.

Appearance Standing a mere 5 foot 6, and weighing in at a measly 165 pounds, Earahl is different from most other Dragonborn you have seen, in several ways. It's rare to see a Silver Dragonborn outside of Draconia, let alone one wearing a soft flowing grey silk shirt over deep black knee length pantaloons, under which it is obvious he is wearing a skin tight suit of deep brown leather armor covered with small metallic studs. From his left hip hangs a well made Dwarven Style Regimental Rapier, and from his neck trails a long grey lined black hooded cape.

Combat roleplay sample
Across the cavern, maybe fifty feet away, Eaharl and his friends could clearly see the trio of Orcs that were guarding the exit tunnel on the other side. The blasted Fighter, What was her name again? Zorya? Soryea? the echoes of her clinking chainmail seeming to fill the cavern, had already alerted them, and as they watched the Orcs began moving in.

Dropping back behind the Fighter and hunkering down, trying to make himself less of a target, Eaharl began to focus on the largest of the three, and started to whisper to himself in Draconic. The Orc's head began to shake back and forth as in his mind, just loud enough to be heard, a strange high pitched voice and the sound of a beating drum.."Oh soon you're working day is done, oh girls they wanna kill Orcs...oh girls just wanna kill Orcs..." began to ring. The large Orc suddenly turned straight for the exit and took off running, howling and grabbing his ears.

"Hey Sneaky!" he yelled, "That's one for me. Let's see you do better!" Knowing the Fighter's penchant for a good bet he was sure this would Inspire her.

Things to Remember #1: When attempting to bluff ones way out of an old bar bill, it is not wise to yell Tab?! TAB?!! I have been in this bar before, ye drunken lout!
As the Troll Master Chef was wont to say : There's no Race like Gnome, for the Hollendaise.

Last edited by KarlCullinane; 03-17-2020 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:10 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 347
Conductor Conductor Conductor Conductor
If there is still room, I'd like to hold a spot for Carissa Mirowen, Elven Rogue. Someone's got to be up front setting off those traps. Will work on proper application here tonight.
Updated

Application
Name: Carissa Mirowen
right-aligned image

Race: Elven (Eladrin)
Class: Rogue (Spy)
Carissa Mirowen
Trait: I am incredibly slow to trust. Those who seem the fairest often have the most to hide.
I always have a plan for what to do when things go wrong.
Ideal: I'm loyal to my friends, not to any ideals, and everyone else can take a trip down the Styx for all I care.
Flaw: When faced with a choice between money and my friends, I usually choose the money.
Bond: Someone I loved died because of a mistake I made. That will never happen again.
Personality: Carissa is slow to open to others, naturally suspicious that there is always some hidden reason someone is trying to get to know her.. She is still looking to find her place in the world as she searches for her sister, on the run from something in her past.
Background: Great merchant houses are made up of more than just traders and caravans. Many employ clerks, barristers, labor, guards, and on occasion...agents of opportunity. Those individuals whose skills fall into the realm of gathering information, disseminating misinformation, and on rare occasions, purloining secrets.

Carissa was one such agent. Born a twin, while her sister followed the path of adventure and excitement using her skills with a blade, Carissa sold her talents to one of the great merchant houses to follow a slightly less dangerous route. It was a life of constant excitement of its own, and while she might not face monsters or great evil, sneaking through a noble's home to gather embarrassing letters had its own type of danger.

It was a good life, but as a merchant guild's rise enriches all within, its fall too affects everyone. Betrayal by an ally was just another manner of conducting business, but this betrayal included bloodshed and fire. When the guild's rivals were finished, every member of the guild were either dead or scattered to the winds.

Carissa survived, now looking for her sister. The last time she spoke, her twin had said her company was looking to plunder the depths of a far off dungeon. A place called Rappan Athuk. That was months ago, with no word on what happened to her sister and her party.

Roleplay sample of a fight:The figure in the dark cloak moved through the alley, the pong of rotted fish and other detritus heavy in the air. The clouds above darkened the night further as the figure searched for its quarry. One last victim to hunt down. It had been a very successful hunt, and the Brothers of Night would walk away with heavy purses after completing this contract. All he needed to do was-

The small being fell from above as quiet as a shadow as she slammed her blade into the hunter's neck, falling hard with him to the ground. Carissa landed poorly on one leg, the shock of pain that erupted from her ankle almost causing her to let go of her grip on the assasins cloak. But she didn't dare release him as she plunged her dagger again and again into the Brother's back, her face streaked with soot and tears and blood as she stabbed again and again and again and again and...and...and...

She finally stopped when the body below her lay still, her breath ragged with exertion and terror. She was covered with cuts and burns as she stood, her body shaking as she looked back from where the hunter had come. No one seemed to have noticed as she hobbled down the other end of the alley, escaping into the night.

Last edited by Conductor; 03-24-2020 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:42 PM
Dice are now Fate Cubes

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conductor View Post
If there is still room, I'd like to hold a spot for Carissa Mirowen, Elven Rogue. Someone's got to be up front setting off those traps. Will work on proper application here tonight.
Of course! Deadline is april 5th as of now so you have plenty of time. I'll only move that up if theres and overwhelming amount of applicants.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:56 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 208
Darklin Darklin Darklin
Any room left? I am interested in playing but have only done one Solo Adventure in 5E. Are you willing to take the time to teach me what I need to know? I have played 1st and 2nd editions for 35 years. I purchased the 1st Hardback the day it came out. It will take some time to create a character but I am thinking An Elven Wizard. Once I find out your willing to teach I will start with your character App.

Application
Name: Ferrengar Silverleaf
Race: High Elf
Class: Wizard

Character Stats: Str=10, Dex=15, Con=12, Int=16, Wis=11, Ch=8

Background: Folk Hero
Trait: I judge people by their actions, not their words.
Ideal: Our lot is to lay down our lives in defense of others.
Flaw: I have little respect for anyone who is not a proven warrior.
Bond: Those who fight beside me are those worth dying for.

Description: Ferrengar is a very easy going elf. Spends most of his time reading and studying some form of arcane lore. His life is magic. Spell book, arcane lore, Magic Item research or copying spells to his book. He is excited about magic in all forms. But he is just as good with a sword or bow as he is with magic.

Reason for Heading to Rappan Athuk:
Ferrengar is heading to Rappan Athuk because he has heard that there may be an Ioun stone of Spell Storing lost in Rappan Athuk and if not there is magic to be had there. Whether it be from an Ancient source or magic off of fallen adventurers. Magic is his life so he seeks it where ever he can find it. He craves more spells for his book. That is why he risks all for this adventure.

Roleplay sample of a fight

Ferrengar and friends move into a room near the end of the hall. To their surprise 3 Orcs step through the door and draw weapons. The first two advance and the second draws a crossbow. As the Cleric and Warrior advance Ferrengar cast a spell.

“You have stumbled into the wrong room today Orc Scum. Today you meet your maker. Grummish One Eye will see you soon.”

Waving his arms over his head and pointing to the Archer Orc a missile of pure blue force hammers into the crossbowman. He stagger steps back and regains his footing. The Warrior and Cleric both land solid blows as Ferrengar unshoulders his bow and prepares to go to work.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by Darklin; 03-19-2020 at 09:49 PM.