DnD5e The Mummy's Mask - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook
0 7 9 0
... raised for charity!
All donations matched (doubled) until Dec 20!
: +

Notices

Old Nov 20th, 2020, 02:45 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 653
Martyn Martyn Martyn Martyn Martyn Martyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossN View Post
Cool sounding setting.

Given the Ancient Egyptian style are there any technological issues we should consider (ie. no rapiers, crossbows or full plate armour)?
If your native to Osirion then rapiers and xbows aren't appropriate...

If you want to wear full plate in the desert then suffer the consequences.
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 02:53 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorgulf View Post
Hi @Martyn, several questions:

1. What source material is allowed? I'm envisioning a Circle of Stars druid, inspired by the Northern Lights, pledged to the god Heimdallr - the subclass just got released with Tasha's.
My second concept would be a Genie Warlock - yet again, based off Tasha's. He would fit the Osirion setting.

2. Would the god Hod be suitable for a sneaky Arcane Trickster Rogue? My first pick would be Loki but he's evil...

3. What is the expected post frequency, per week and / or weekends?

Thanks!
1- I don't have Tasha's yet though since it's official I don't see a problem with it.

2- I'm not sure how H÷­r represents trickery... he's the one that got tricked.

3- Seems to me that 2-3 per week seems to be the norm here.
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 02:54 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose View Post
In the Prose Edda, Fenrir was seen as evil by the Ăsir before he was ever born. Once it was confirmed that this wolf was in fact the Son of Loki and was destined to kill and Eat Odin, they bound him. Instead of raising this Wolf right, they pushed their own fears onto him and bound him - not even letting him have a chance to prove them wrong. So he asked that he proved himself by having someone brave stick their hand in his mouth, and that he would be released after showing them he wasn't a monster. Once he proved that he was no threat, the Ăsir still refused to acknowledge that he was not evil and kept him bound. So that's why he bit off Tyr's hand - they lied to him. He was destined to kill Odin because the other Ăsir made him that way. So I don't see him as inherently evil, but as this maladjusted figure. He didn't have anyone that believed in him, expect maybe Tyr.

More metaphorically speaking, and away from him as a character, he represents the end of an era - much like Christianity's Four Horseman and the Trumpeter. He is a reminder that all things end, so that new things can begin. He is the one that will kill and eat Odin, while his sons devour the Sun and Moon, allowing something new to happen and takes it place. This is based on the fact that the Ăsir represented the end of the Jotun, and that the Norse idea of the world had cycles. He is, by my interpretation, a metaphor for change. While change may be scary, it's inevitable - it is not evil.

Thank you for this opportunity and I hope this helps.

Tl;dr: Metaphorically, Fenrir is change - not destruction. Character wise, Fenrir is a case of cause destiny to happen despite trying to prevent it.
Okay- you can go with it.
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 04:00 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 474
Bjorgulf Bjorgulf Bjorgulf Bjorgulf Bjorgulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn View Post
1- I don't have Tasha's yet though since it's official I don't see a problem with it.

2- I'm not sure how H÷­r represents trickery... he's the one that got tricked.

3- Seems to me that 2-3 per week seems to be the norm here.
Thank you for the answers! The Rogue was more of a backup in case Tasha was a no-go. The choice for Hod was driven by the fact that he is the blind god, and rogues are / should be rarely seen. A bit of a stretch, I admit

I will share a character concept shortly.

Last edited by Bjorgulf; Nov 20th, 2020 at 04:03 AM.
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 05:49 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6625
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Alrighty, I had to change the picture up a bit, that cartoony one was bothering the heck outta me.

I went with barbarian since she actually doesn't know how to 'fight/never been trained' and her 'Rage' comes as a blessing from the gods/Athena.
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 07:25 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 474
Bjorgulf Bjorgulf Bjorgulf Bjorgulf Bjorgulf
Here is the character I have in mind:

Character
right-aligned image

Name: Samir Mukhtaar el-Meskin

Race: High Half Elf

Class: Warlock (Genie)

Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Origin: Osirion

Appearance: At just under 5'8, Samir is not immediately noticed in a crowd. He prefers mundane clothing that offer function rather than style, carries only a few personal effects, and keeps his belongings almost obsessively clean. The first thing he does once he reaches a settlement after a long trip is to visit the local temple and leave a small offering as thanks for the safe journey.

Background: Failed Merchant

Personality Traits:
If I can be everyone’s friend, I’ll always have support.
To prosper, you have to be in control.

Ideal: Survival. Where there’s life, there’s hope. If I remain alive and flexible, I can succeed.

Bond: Although my business failed, the people of my community were kind to me. I’ll do everything in my power to protect them.

Flaw: Nothing gets between me and danger except my fellow adventurers. So I’ll be sure to put them there.

Background:
Samir is the youngest in an influential merchants family who made their fortunes trading goods between the numerous tribes and settlements scattered along the Asp and Crook rivers. He knew of no other home besides the rickety caravan and wind swept tents his family and help hands sheltered in during ice cold nights and, more often that he liked to remember, vicious sandstorms. Being a quiet and somewhat shy kid, he was slow to learn the intricate subtleties of negotiation and mercantile tricks, being rather more interested in the few books and scrolls he came across their travels. He became fascinated with the world of gods, mythical beings and supernatural entities that supposedly ruled the world from beyond the veil.

Once he became of age, however, his father made it clear that Samir was to become a trader and continue the family tradition. Begrudgingly, he started running smaller caravans himself, on shorter routes and less valuable goods at first - then increasingly longer and more lucrative. He still couldn't say that it was something he enjoyed doing - but at the time there was no alterative.

All this changed one fateful night when his caravan got ambushed by a roving gang of bandits. Caught by surprise (and, Samir suspected, with the help of a bribed guard), his people were quickly subdued. Uncharacteristically for this type of gangs, the prisoners were put to the sword, with little regard of their status or health. Not even Samir has been spared. With a last breath before the sword found his chest, he raised a prayer to whichever deity was closest to hear, for a life spared in exchange of servitude and supplication. The last thing he remember was the exploding pain then darkness.

When he awoke, he was in a strange room, comfortable on a soft bed, pillows scattered on a richly carpeted floor. He quickly dismissed this being afterlife after a searing pain in his chest drew his attention to an ugly scar above his heart. Soon after he became aware of a presence in the room. Looking up, he saw a spirit-like creature looking over him, almost benevolently. It was then that he knew his prayer has been answered. What transpired in the next hours was his best kept secret. A strange lamp-like object has since been his most prized possession.

The next day Samir started the long way back to his father's main caravan, not to ask for help or forgiveness, but to announce his departure from the tribe. He made a vow to his family to repay the lost merchandise, gathered a few belongings and set out on a path known only to the gods.

Last edited by Bjorgulf; Nov 20th, 2020 at 07:37 PM.
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 10:57 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1648
Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar
I never got an answer about Variant Humans, so I'm going to go with that character concept in lieu of the other one. I hope you like my application...

left-aligned image

Name: Tulaine Halaksun
Race:Variant Human (Osirian)
Class: Fighter

X-X-X-X
Urchin Background
Trait #1 I take great pains to always look clean and presentable, no matter where I am
Trait #2 I have a crude sense of humor
Bond I owe a debt I can never repay to the merchant who took pity on me, and saved my life
Ideal We have to look out for each other, 'cause nobody else is going to
FlawI will work with anyone, but I'll never fully trust anyone other than myself

Appearance: Tulaine generally wears a headwrap to keep the blowing sands from his face. Below this thin fabric, his beard is kept short, neat, and very well trimmed. Curly, thick, black hair is combed back, while green eyes, reminiscent of oasis pools, look out full of hope to the world.

Backstory:
Tulaine was originally an orphan from the streets of Sothis, though instead of allowing this difficult beginning to keep him from amounting to anything, or worse, forcing him into a life of petty theft and criminality, Tulaine decided to apply himself and find a purpose. He noticed that there were many merchant caravans travelling from city to city, and they often had valuable things in need of protecting. It was this observation that lead him to dedicate himself to learning the ways of the sword; to seek out a living, even if only meager, by protecting the livelihoods of others.

It took some convincing, and he faced many rejections before Tulaine found Samesh. The elderly Dwarf had warm eyes, and after listening to his pleas, offered to allow the young boy to work for him in exchange for a new adventuring kit, 2 regular meals a day, and steady companionship... For he would have the opportunity to meet and learn from many people along the trade routes. To Tulaine, Samesh was more than an employer, he had saved the young man's life. As he worked his way across the desert, Tulaine matured, and eventually became infatuated with a fiery haired priestess of Bastet. The desires of his flesh caused him to dedicate himself to the Goddess of Vengeance; the elixer of danger, and beauty, forming an intoxicating combination that burned hot in his blood. The thoughts of her pushing him to battle his limits, in hopes of earning her favorable attention.
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 05:22 AM
Chaotic Good Mindflayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 556
Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem
Selma MonifaName: Selma Monifa, Human V. (Wizard 1)
left-aligned image

Background: Entertainer

Personality Trait 1: Nobody stays angry at me or around me for long, since I can defuse any amount of tension.

Personality Trait 2: I'm a hopeless romantic, always searching for that 'special someone'.
Ideal: People. I like seeing the smiles on people's faces when I perform. That's all that matters.

Bond: My oracle cards are my most treasured possession, and they remind me of someone I love.

Flaw: I'll do anything to win fame and renown. Or tell any story.

Backstory: By way of the Crook river did Selma arrive in Wati. For many years of her life, she had roamed nomadically throughout Osirion, traveling by pole skiff upon the currents of the life giving rivers.
She had amazed those who witnessed her fast fingered flourishes, and dazzling demonstrations of divination. Her oracle cards had even astounded a relative of Nefru Shepes!
She was crouched outside of the Necropolis gateway within Wati. There she sat displaying her Oracle cards and calling out her services to the passer by’s. " Symbols and omens from beyond! Divine with the dead! Selma the Seer!"

This was her craft for many hot and dusty days. Until, she had enough courage to register her name with the priests of Anubis.
" A diviner is a delvers best friend." She said with a crooked smile to the priests as she spelled out her name. " Selma Monifa, at your service. I look forward to seeing what’s in store." She chuckled and winked as she shuffled her deck of cards and sauntered off to await her new company mates.

Last edited by Aoem; Nov 24th, 2020 at 05:34 AM.
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 05:35 AM
Chaotic Good Mindflayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 556
Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem
Application submitted. Glad to have found this game
Space. Bless Bless, gratitude to Martyn. Best of luck everyone!

Last edited by Aoem; Nov 24th, 2020 at 05:36 AM.
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 05:49 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 88
justsujoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsujoy View Post
Happy go Lucky

Respectfully, withdrawing my application. I think I am stretched a bit too thin for now. I'll be sure to check in later

Best of luck

Last edited by justsujoy; Nov 24th, 2020 at 05:52 AM.
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 10:54 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6646
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Is the Artificer Armorer from UA allowed?
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 08:24 PM
Duke of Chanwood

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1869
Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor
So I guess this died before it began?

Luinil Alqualond - Wood Elf Ranger, Desert of Desolation
Berilac "Berry" Fairbairn - Halfling Ranger, Priestess
Morgran Ungart - Mountain Dwarf Fighter, Dungeon Dive