DnD5e True Crime: Zoo York City - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook
0 7 9 0
... raised for charity!
All donations matched (doubled) until Dec 20!
: +

Notices

Old Sep 18th, 2019, 02:00 AM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10085
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Can I put a placeholder for interest?
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 03:28 AM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6625
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
@rhaiber: yes you may, i look forward to your application.
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 10:15 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34960
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros

Krow, Chief, rhaiber, need anyone to bounce ideas off of?
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 07:04 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Application: Colleen McGregorName: Colleen McGregor AKA “Coll” to her family, “Mac” to her friends on the force, “that yeah, we all know that word they use for female dogsb**** cop” to perps
Class: Dedicated Hero (Investigator)
Species: Canine (Irish Setter/Border Collie mix)
Background: Investigative
Personality trait: Nothing can shake my optimistic attitude.
Ideal: Aspiration. I'm determined to make something of myself. (Any)
Bond: I will face any challenge to win the approval of my family.
Flaw: Once I pick a goal, I become obsessed with it to the detriment of everything else in my life.
AppearanceAppearance:

Colleen has the slim, athletic build that comes in part from an active lifestyle (she never sits still and is constantly walking or running to her everywhere), but also in part from genetics (somehow her metabolism is able to keep pace with a diet that disproportionately favors street vendor foods). Her figure is unmistakably feminine, though she doesn’t dress the part. You’ll almost never see Colleen in a dress, and she doesn’t even own a pair of heels. Her preferred mode of dress involves fitted slacks, a shirt and tie, and a lightweight suit coat. This should not be confused with formal or fancy attire. It’s not usually a matching suit, and it is often wrinkled or rumpled. Colleen is about as interested in cleaning as she is in cooking (remember that diet consisting mostly of street vendor items); and generally any article she picks up off the floor that passes “the smell test” is deemed clean enough.

While her wardrobe can be a bit untidy at times, and her desk in the station looks like a tornado hit it, she does take care in her more personal grooming. Her coat is always immaculately cleaned and brushed, particularly the mane of chestnut hair that is one of the few physical features she inherited from her Irish Setter father.
PersonalityPersonality: On the outside, Colleen comes across to most as loyal, energetic, and optimistic. She seems to have a warm and ever-present smile. She is quick to laugh, or to share a personal story, and she somehow finds a way to relate to everyone she meets. The one thing that everyone seems to note about her though, is that she never seems to be able to leave the job behind.

Behind all that however, Colleen is plagued by a constant sense of insecurity and a need to prove herself: to live up to her father’s legacy as well at to justify her position as the female detective in ZYPD’s homicide division. She feels like people are always watching her, waiting for her to fail; as a result she can never ease up or get too comfortable. She’s also a bit of a perfectionist because she knows that even if she does twice the work, she will only get half the credit. Therefore, she can never be just “good enough;” she has to be the best at anything she does.

On the subject of speciesism (since a number of other people have brought it up), Colleen doesn’t feel like she has the time to be bothered dealing with speciesism. This is fairly unusual for a canine, since they have an even more isolationist community than other species, segregating not only species, but by breeds within their own species as well. As a mixed breed herself and the only female detective on the squad, she regularly called “mutt” and yeah, we all know that word they use for female dogs“b****”, often ineffectively downplayed with the justification that “we’ll, technically by definition you are one.” Knowing that she can never afford to slip up or fall into that stereotype of being overly emotional, Colleen has trained herself not to respond. She internalizes all the hurt she feels, but she still feels it. This has made her sensitive to the plight of minority species. She may not ever experience exactly what Nocturnals go through, but she can empathize with them.

All that being said, she does come from a traditional religious upbringing and sometimes cannot help but stare at those who seem “out-of-the-ordinary.” For example, when she sees mixed-species couples or Nocturnals doing day jobs, she will sometimes stare or ask innocent naive questions about how they manage it. She tries not to judge and never means any offense, but she can’t always comprehend those who are so different from the world view she was brought up with.

BackstoryBackstory: Colleen is a born-and-bred native Zoo Yorker. She grew up on knishes and dirty-water dogs. Her nighttime lullabies were sirens and jackhammers. And she can weave through crowded sidewalks and subway cars without breaking stride. The rhythm of the city runs through her veins and she would never dream of living anywhere else.

Her family likes to say that over a hundred years ago, when Zoo York first established a professional police force, there was a McGregor there to sign on the very first day. It wasn’t easy for an Irish Setter to find work then, but the ZYPD enabled Colleen’s great grandfather to bring home a steady paycheck and provide for his growing family. Since then, there has always been a McGregor on the force, sometimes several from the same litter, leading all the way up to Colleen’s father, Sergeant Liam “Sarge” McGregor.

As a pup, Colleen idolized her father. He was like a superhero to her, and she proudly announced to anyone who asked, “My da’s a police-dog and he keeps every animal in Zoo York safe!” She used to wait at the end of the block every day when he was coming home so that they could “walk the beat” together. When she was really lucky, he’d let her carry his nightstick as they walked up the block to the old apartment building, giving Colleen the chance to strut along with her head held high for all the neighborhood pups to see.

All Colleen ever wanted was to grow up to be just like her father. When she was young, he was always happy to indulge her, enjoying the worship he received from “daddy’s little girl.” But as Colleen grew older and it became apparent this was not a phase she would grow out of, she found the support she’d received drying up, as her hero turned into a concerned father who thought she was trying to bite off more than she could chew. This only spurred Colleen on to redouble her efforts. She pushed herself all the way through the Academy and graduated at the top of her class. But this still wasn’t enough to impress her father, who asked when she was planning to settle down and have pups of her own. So she joined the ZYPD and determined to push herself harder than any other officer, receiving commendations and promotions, none of which seemed enough to earn her father’s approval … that is, until she made detective, an accomplishment that Sarge had never managed to achieve for himself and one that finally made him accept that this was not just a childhood fantasy.
ConnectionsConnections:

Last edited by rhaiber; Sep 26th, 2019 at 01:41 AM.
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 08:09 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imveros View Post
Krow, Chief, rhaiber, need anyone to bounce ideas off of?
Thanks. I kind of got myself down the rabbit-hole of writing, rewriting, and searching for images, but I think I got most of it done.

Just need my RP sample now, but I'm having trouble deciding on a scenario.

Last edited by rhaiber; Sep 20th, 2019 at 08:09 PM.
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 10:51 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
If you need a scenario just shoot me a PM and I will start you something out.
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 11:34 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Only five more days to polish up those apps ladies and gents!

Old Sep 24th, 2019, 04:00 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
Just to give this thread a bump and let everyone know, the game thread has been approved and im working on the foudation in my free time. Make sure you're caught up on your player reactions so far. New in the running: Colleen Mcgregor! Strong, independant woman police dog doing her best to follow in her father's footsteps!
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 12:27 AM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
Ok. RP sample done. Will get to work on those partner reactions soon.
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 09:30 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
Shameless bump!

WARNING! WARNING!

Tomorrow is the big day of choosing! Make sure your applications are all in order!
Old Sep 28th, 2019, 06:26 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Good luck everyone!

*Puts on white wig*

And may the odds be ever in your favor!
Old Sep 28th, 2019, 09:57 PM
Royal Lion

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1703
Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83
Good luck to all!
Old Sep 28th, 2019, 09:57 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
Application process is closed! Anyone who has an application started, please please complete them if you want in the game, otherwise I can't choose you!

I have been pretty busy lately so I am allowing until the 1st of October to finish any applications already entered!
Old Oct 1st, 2019, 11:24 AM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
I'm making final decisions today guys! Anyone want to back out now, let me know!
Old Oct 1st, 2019, 04:02 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
It wasn't an easy choice to make but I think I finally settled on two characters:
Chester Gould played by Treble83
Colleen Mcgregor played by Rhaiber

Join the game thread here: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18188

Thank you all for such quality applications. Good hunting!!

Last edited by Arthilian01; Oct 1st, 2019 at 04:03 PM.