RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Oct 1st, 2019, 04:36 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34740
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Congrats Treble and Rhaiber!

Haha I knew I was doomed as soon as I read Colleen's app!

Good luck and have fun guys!
Old Oct 1st, 2019, 05:19 PM
Royal Lion

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1703
Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83
Wow! Thanks for this opportunity! Very excited to work with Colleen!
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 05:48 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6472
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Looking for a pair of players who might be interested in another Noir classic adventure:

A private eye and his secretary/assistant.
Same rules as the main ad.
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 09:28 PM
Undead and Lovin' It

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2418
Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund
Oof. Hard to pass up a Noir classic adventure, especially one with a private eye and assistant combo.

What's the expected posting rate, boss?

Characters: Thunder in the Morning - Harp Strum
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 09:53 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
@Strangemund: I'm not too much of a stickler on post rate but I would like to be able to do a GM post 1-2 times a week.

Last edited by Arthilian01; Oct 28th, 2020 at 10:29 PM.
Old Oct 29th, 2020, 12:06 PM
Dripping with Alchemy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4456
MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds
Hi Arth!

cottontailwind and myself are very interested in submitting apps for your game! We have applied to another game and won't know if we get accepted for another week or so, but in the meantime we'll start hammering out some rough character concepts if that's cool?
Old Oct 29th, 2020, 01:08 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
Excellent!
Old Oct 29th, 2020, 01:13 PM
a bit like you and me

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3856
cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind
Hello and ditto at what Moldy said - the creative juices floweth!

Old Oct 29th, 2020, 01:37 PM
Dripping with Alchemy

Tools
User Statistics
MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds
WIP...
Character Application
right-aligned image

Name: Konrad Sphynx, P.I.
Class: Dedicated Hero/Martial Artist
Species: Hairless Cat
Background: Criminal
  • Personality trait: My fighting instincts can’t help but expect trouble around every corner.
  • Ideal: Cynicism. There are no Good people. There’s the innocent, the guilty, and the dead.
  • Bond: If you worm your way past my hard-nosed pessimism and into my heart, I will quite literally kill to protect you.
  • Flaw: Pointing out people’s personal failings is a great way to get them to leave you alone.
Appearance (Image is linked with credit to the artist): Well into middle age, you would be hard-pressed to say the years have been "kind" to Konrad. It was clear he was a fine physical specimen... once upon a time. However, neither would he be labelled as unfit. A previously lean, hard body has had a couple decades of neglect, misuse, and hard living layered on top of it. Konrad's iron abs have a small gut forming over them; his chiseled arms and legs have softened somewhat through too many missed workouts; his face has taken on a few extra wrinkles from too much smoking and too many snarls than would be expected for a breed like him to show. However, he did lay the proper groundwork in his teens and twenties, and he does still carry himself like he's a force to be reckoned with. Overall he's a taller-than-average, lean-looking sphynx cat whose hard eyes silently scream "I do not suffer fools."

Konrad's threads are suave and chic at first glance; his powerful-yet-understated The clothes seem like designer brands, though someone knowledgeable in the fashion world or smuggling might be able to peg them as the dock-district knock-offs they actually are.black suit and solid-color button downs give the impression of a man who dresses to impress. However, his black military-style boots and various bits of gaudy jewelry clash quite fiercely with that initial suave image. The Many are Russian in design and language. And one would identify him as a bratva street-fighting champion.garish tattoos on his hands and neck further reinforce the notion that Konrad has no guiding sense of fashion, nor does he seek one.

Personality: Konrad sometimes comes off as a walking, talking cliché and he's willing to lean into that persona, when it suits him. People tend to underestimate him, peg him as a brutish Russian immigrant. They aren't wrong, per se, but he has a keen mind as well. He wouldn't have made it this far in his second life as a private eye if he didn't. Behind his glaring eyes Konrad has a fairly keen eye for details as well as insight into a victim's, witness's, or potential suspect's nonverbal communication.

Konrad still carries a hint of a Russian accent, which helps emphasize his rude attitude. He isn't afraid to tell someone off, and does it for little to no apparent reason much of the time. He seems to take a sadistic pleasure in making those around him feel just as surly as he is, however he does lighten up just a smidge for those that have made their way into his inner circle, instead turning his wrath to the outside world instead of directly at whoever that may be. Konrad sees very little "Good" in the world, and much of what other people would call good he defines as ignorance, innocence, or illusion. To be fair, he doesn't consider himself a good person, either. He has no illusions about the evils in his past, Konrad is simply trying to survive in the least evil way he can manage using his skillset.

Underneath his irritable demeanor Konrad's ugly personality really stems from his own self-loathing for a life filled with regrets.

Backstory: Konrad Sphynx was born in Russia and was raised by his parents who were struggling business owners, trying to support the collapsing Soviet Union. By the time he was a teenager Konrad had spent his formative years scrapping and rough-housing with the other children in his neighborhood and drew the attention of Bratva recruiters who were always looking for athletic young men to corrupt. They offered Konrad odd jobs as a runner and spotter, and the money was hard to turn down which he used to help his parents stay afloat. By sixteen he was offered his first bout in the crime syndicate's street fighting rings, and he won handily. The following years saw Konrad rise through the ranks as a favorite, not officially a member of any Bratva syndicate, but perhaps an honorary adjunct.

When immigration to the United States tempted the OPG to send member families overseas Konrad was shipped out with many others to supplement their illegal activities. By twenty he was a household name, as it were, in Zoo York's underground street fighting circuits. Konrad had a nice apartment and was well-cared for by the Bratva. He even met and married a Polish Leopard, Arleta, and together they had a daughter.

At twenty-five Konrad was at the height of his physical prowess. Of course, that's when the Bratva decided it was time to use their prized fighter for fixed matches. It didn't take long for Konrad to lose his drive, throwing fights to less-deserving athletes had a tendency to do that to a man, and he began retreating inside himself. The subsequent descent into drinking and drugs put a strain on his family life that could not be maintained. Arleta took their daughter, Nina, and left Konrad alone. Depression turned to anger and when he beat unconscious an opponent he was supposed to let win Konrad was unofficially banned from tournaments.

With the syndicate money dried up and nowhere to go, Konrad kind of fell into detective work. A tenant in his building had her husband go missing and Konrad coincidentally happened to know he was tied up in shady business dealings with the Bratva. He used the few contacts who still talked to him to track down the missing man and, with no apprehension about confronting one of the small-time families of his former organization, he beat the kidnappers to a bloody pulp.

With a grateful client and enough cash in his pocket to make rent and his monthly quota on beer and cigarettes, Konrad thought he may have found a new calling. It wasn't glamorous, but maybe it was something he could live with. Now in his early forties Konrad seems a product of a bygone era. With the eruption of the digital age, smart phones and facebook lurking are complete mysteries to the man who still works by pager and payphone.

Connections:
  • Arleta & Nina Solinska: Konrad's divorced wife and daughter still live in Zoo York, though he rarely sees them. Letta has no illusions about who Konrad is; they may have been happy once, perhaps even truly loved each other, but his then-devotion to the Bratva and their destructive tendencies eroded that relationship. Arleta tried her best to keep Konrad from circling the drain of depression and despair, but he was either unwilling or unable to accept her help and their relationship ended up on the rocks. Nina was still fairly young when they separated. Her fond memories of her father are tainted by her mother's constant warnings and sob stories. Deep down they both still love Konrad, but as things stand now they aren't willing to invest emotionally in that relationship any further.

• Nikolai Dactyla: Nikki runs the Herds So Good Fitness Center. What was once a gym exclusively reserved for boxers and the Bratva street fighters of old Zoo York has been slowly transforming into what Konrad derisively calls a "juice bar spa". Nikolai has updated most of the gym to keep with the times in order to remain profitable, though he stills keeps a speed bag and even a small boxing ring in a storage room in the back for Konrad and the few Both figurative and literal dinosaurs!dinosaurs he has left. Nikki still has ties to the Bratva in Zoo York and is willing to feed Konrad a lead or two when he can for old-time's sake.

• Angelina Ocampo: Working the night-shift at the 24-hour diner on the same block as Konrad's apartment means Angelina sees a lot of him. He often ends up at The Lifted Leg after a long night on the job, and the two have gotten to know each other through circumstance. Angelina is Cuban-born and a first-generation immigrant like Konrad, though she is about a decade younger than him. She is one of the few who can stomach Sphynx's attitude, and her fiery personality can spit it right back at him with a smirk, turning his defense mechanism against him and unintentionally (or not) blossoming an acquaintance (if not genuine friendship) out of the harsh banter.

RP Sample

Statblock

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ANTHROS-Kim-Nguyen-17.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	87733   Click image for larger version

Name:	3ba663c71792a084fe6a48dbb5023b5d.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	87746   Click image for larger version

Name:	4de71ecf5afd397ce1e9a06242f355b2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	87747   Click image for larger version

Name:	b8bf57d28a02aeced357cf3b92ac8f05.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	87750   Click image for larger version

Name:	cfab1a0ce47baf2c6004a37cdbafd6ff.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	87752  

Name:	Barnaby.png
Views:	7
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	87916  

Last edited by MoldyNolds; Nov 6th, 2020 at 06:35 PM.
Old Oct 29th, 2020, 04:27 PM
Undead and Lovin' It

Tools
User Statistics
Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund
I'll throw my hat into the ring and see if I can cook up something snazzy for the assistant role!

ApplicationName: Gilda "Gilly" Baines
right-aligned image

Class: Smart Hero/Librarian
Species: Red Fox
Background: Torn between Academic or Entrepreneur
  • Personality trait: Looks are fine and all, but a gal with my kind of wits deserves better than what she was given. I just need a chance to prove it. To myself and others.
  • Ideal: Change. We were all given labels. Told right from the day we were born what we were supposed to be like. Judged not by our character but by the stereotypes society pushed down on us. I want to break away from it. I want to give people a chance to be more than what society made them.
  • Bond: They say a drowning man will clutch at a straw to save his skin, and for her, I am that straw-- for every broken heart, every unpaid debt, every bruiser who can’t take a hint, I’ll drag myself down to bring her back up.
  • Flaw: Lying isn’t a pretty thing, but it sure does take you to interesting places. I just hope I can keep my stories straight.
Appearance

Personality

Backstory:
Connections:
  • Amelia "Milly" Baines -- Baby Sister/"The Ole Achilles' Heel": Silly Milly is the apple of Gilly’s eye. The only person in Zoo York City that mattered more to Gilly than Gilly herself. The two are blood-siblings. Milly being the youngest between the pair as she’s at least three years younger than Gilly. She’s a sweet girl with a good on her shoulders, but woefully naive to the trouble that lurks around her. For whatever reason, Milly doesn’t see the world the same way Gilly does. She’s trusting. Too trusting. And more times than Gilly cares to count folks take advantage of her baby sister’s good nature. Be it an abusive boyfriend, a charming con-man, or coppers too willing to pin a theft on a pushover fox. But that kind of trouble is exactly why big sisters’ exist.
  • Candy Sweet -- Friend/Cigarette Girl at The High Roller: Candy Sweet is a bunny who works too hard for too little pay at The High Roller club, and she says as much to Gilly every time the two work the same shift. Candy Sweet isn’t her real name, as she tries not to mix her work life with her home life. Which is fine. Most Cigarette Girls don’t. All Gilly really knows about Candy is that she has three kids at home and that her beau of the month is a “no-good tomcat who couldn’t keep a job to save his life-- and he’s got nine of ‘em!”. She’s big drama packed in a tiny package but she knows dirt about every Tom, Dick, and Harry that’s ever walked into the club.
  • Mister John Bellows -- Contact/Dockworker: Mister John Bellows is a bear of a bear. He’s as tall as a house and just as wide with more muscle packed into him than an anatomy book. He’s a regular at The High Roller club, mostly ‘cuz he’s sweet on Gilly, not that he’d ever say as much. Mister John Bellows is a reserved fella and despite his burly size, he’s not interested in making waves. Instead he relies on routine to get him through the day, the harsh work down at the docks leaves him broken down and yearning for company that doesn't smell like sweat and seawater. Gilly likes him for his terrible jokes.
RP sample:

Last edited by Strangemund; Nov 6th, 2020 at 01:47 PM.
Old Oct 29th, 2020, 09:16 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
Those are some good starts to applications that I wouldn't mind seeing in my game! Keep it up!
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 07:30 AM
a bit like you and me

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3856
cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind
Application Status
  • Application for the role of: Secretary
  • WIP: RP Sample being finalized
Character Application
right-aligned image
Name: Eleanor Monday, Miss L
Class: Charismatic Hero/Negotiator
Species: Wombat
Background: Academic
  • Personality Trait: Wide-eyed. If you can see past all the grime, there's somethin' really wonderful about this world.
  • Ideal: Redemption. Everybody's got a good side. Sometimes you just gotta allow it to come out. Sometimes you gotta dig deep for it.
  • Bond: Someone saved me when I was a goner. I don't know if I can ever make it up to him.
  • Flaw: Romanticism. My rose-colored glasses make it hard for me to see red flags.
Appearance:

Personality:

Backstory:

Connection 1:

Connection 2:

Connection 3:

RP Sample:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wombat Substitute Teacher.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	87780   Click image for larger version

Name:	mrs gloria bird lady.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	87978   Click image for larger version

Name:	robbie wombat.jpg
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	87979   Click image for larger version

Name:	mama bear mama.jpg
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	87980   Click image for larger version

Name:	leroy bear  kid.jpg
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	87981  

Last edited by cottontailwind; Nov 8th, 2020 at 04:11 AM.
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 07:56 AM
Undead and Lovin' It

Tools
User Statistics
I just want to take a moment here to appreciate Konrad.

He's an ex-Bratva fighter. He's Russian. His sense of style is out of this world. And he is a literal sourpuss.

Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 08:08 PM
Dripping with Alchemy

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks! Credit to Arth for the inspiration, really. It's a great premise/setting for a game!
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 08:10 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
Thank you guys for the kind words!