DnD5e Seas of Fortune - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook
0 7 9 0
... raised for charity!
All donations matched (doubled) until Dec 20!
: +

Notices

Old May 15th, 2020, 10:58 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6646
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
@Kshnik
Quote:
I don't have any books so don't know what is core, Volo or etc when it comes to subraces and archetypes. I just go to random sites. Best bet then is to use the fifth edition SRD.
Old May 15th, 2020, 11:16 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3945
Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik
Unfortunately I will have to pass on this game since I don't want to build something and later find out I used non approved sources. Good luck everyone.
Old May 16th, 2020, 12:01 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 428
Dirty Magic Dirty Magic Dirty Magic Dirty Magic Dirty Magic
Here you go. I thought I'd make a bag-of-skills rogue/explorer to try to complement a lot of the seafaring skills that are popping up in the applications. I'm flexible with her ultimate development... she'll probably wind up a swashbuckler, or possibly scout or thief depending on how the campaign goes.

Seconding the policy of taking nothing for granted...
I get the impression Jadin Island is not exactly the center of civilization in the world, is that correct? Kind of like the Caribbean in the age of exploration rather than Europe?
Also... will language be a barrier as we're traipsing around the world? Are we choosing from the PH... elven, dwarven, etc?

right-aligned image

Name: Apsidee Shaninjer (Tzinwar)
Female Half elf
Alignment: Neutral. Chaotic personality. A little selfish and guarded, certainly, but good at heart.
Class: Rogue (probably swashbuckler, maybe scout or thief depending on how she develops)
Background: Archaeologist?
Character Sheet WIP

Description & Personality
Apsidee is peculiar, but in a very likeable sort of way. She tends to win people over with her awkward charm and her brash honesty. She's unconventionally pretty; a strange mix of sharp/slender noble elf and square/solid working-class human. She tends to wear very nice things that she's haphazardly shredded during her downtime. She moves like a dancer wearing a heavy backpack and speaks like a dictionary dropped in the mud. She's young and brash and simple, not impressed by the material things that surrounded her in her childhood. She's convinced she will always survive but she's not always sure that's a great thing. She's stand-offish at times, as she knows that bonds will eventually be broken or betrayed. Deep down, she'd love to make some attachments to people and places but, to this point, it's not the way world works. She's got a short tolerance for mundane life and seeks out change at every opportunity; she's excited to learn, to explore, to discover.

Personality Traits
- I need to be involved in learning and exploring. When I am bored, those around me will be as unhappy as I am.
- You might think I'm a little weird but you can't help but love me.
- I'm not going to be someone else just to make people like me.
Ideal:
- Intelligent people are the best companions. Rich people are the worst. People are seldom both.
- Knowledge and learning are the greatest treasure. Gold and jewels are best when they are really, really, really old. Or being liquefied in a chemical reaction.
-Some day I'll find my forever home, but I don't expect it to be with you.
Bond:
- I truly loved Xaander and the Oath of Rose. They changed my life and gave me my first home.
Flaw:
- I don't trust people easily. Bonds and words are broken and I pay the price.
- Me first. I expect nothing less from you.
- I'm inexperienced but crave to learn.
- Sometimes I'm cocky and impulsive, other times I doubt my abilities. If you figure it out, let me know.
- When I'm bored or frustrated, sometimes I shred my clothes. Don't judge. You probably do weird stuff, too.

Last edited by Dirty Magic; May 17th, 2020 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Add character sheet link
Old May 16th, 2020, 12:16 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 228
PsychicNomad PsychicNomad PsychicNomad
PHB (Player's Handbook)
-------------
Dragonborn: color
Dwarf: hill, mountain
Elf: high, wood, dark
Halfling: lightfoot, stout
Half-Elf
Half-Orc
Human
Gnome: forest, rock
Tiefling

DMG (Dungeon Master's Guide)
-------------
Elf: eladrin
Aasimar

VGM (Volo's Guide to Monsters)
-------------
Aasimar: protector, scourge, fallen
Firbolg
Goliath
Kenku
Lizardfolk
Tabaxi
Triton
Bugbear
Goblin
Hobgoblin
Kobold
Orc
Yuan-ti
Old May 16th, 2020, 06:15 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3400
Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770
@JaredSyn, I made some slight contextual changes to my app. After reviewing it, I realized I wasn't entirely happy with it and found it lacking. I hope you don't mind.

If you have any questions, suggestions, comments, or concerns, please let me know.

To everyone that has applied, I wish us all luck in getting in to this game. It looks like it's going to be a lot of fun and I'm interested in seeing how these homebrew rules affect gameplay and exploring this world that @JaredSyn has created.
Old May 16th, 2020, 11:16 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Just a quick update, the game has been approved by the Admins, and a Game Thread provided so once we reach the deadline I will take a day to review all the apps and attempt to put together a party based upon them that will work together well as a team. All the applications thus far and excellent.

Looking forward to the game.
Old May 16th, 2020, 05:00 PM
The hidden treasure

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20493
kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Princess Mira <-- Click to view sheet

Race: Genasi - Water

Alignment: CG

Class: Cleric - Water

Background Selection: Time-Lost Traveler

Personality Traits:1) I am far happier in ancient ruins than I am in other places.
2) I make sure to live life to the fullest, in the here and now.
Ideal: Protection. I have seen the horrors of history, and I will ensure they never happen again.
Bond: I must raise my fame and fortune to prove that I belong in this time.
Flaw: I believe earlier people were superior. I constantly complain about modern values.

Physical description: Mira's body is a smooth lithe hourglass figure with long flowing strands of auburn hair that often flows freely like water. She stands at 5' 8" weighing around 135 lbs (without gear).

Her eyes seem to take in the world around her with calm, detached all-encompassing perception. Being stared at by those eyes makes one feel that they can see everything about you, even the things one doesn't even know about oneself. Her composure almost never wavers although a smile is often seen on her face. Her voice has a pitch suitable for a young woman, but her intonation and vocabulary are thick with maturity and sophistication beyond her age.

She wears her family crest upon a necklace which is accompanied by a personal signet ring that can be used to identify her station.

Personality: Mira leads by example more so than words, she has a though competitive, especially with her brother - where they learn and grow from each othergood heart, enjoys life and tends to be whimsical at times. She enjoys listening and helping others or spending time at the temple Usually to keep her skills up, but also to train and hopefully become better than her brotherstudying with the others and one day hopes to walk alongside her father as not just a princess but also a High Priestess.

Background: Mira was born in Starfall (now known as the "Sunken City") and had lived her entire life there. Her mother died giving birth to her. However, being the daughter of King Vlad Valontus was not always the easiest as there were many things a Princess must learn, and being the youngest, Mira often competed with her brother Lord Percival.

In fact Mira had begun rigid training as a toddler. Her Father was often not home and out on some campaign or war. So he set up tutors and sent his children to the church to train along side other noble children in wide range of skills from the time they were six. As a King, it was important for his kids to learn to protect themselves. Playtime was limited but the occasional injuries occurred from "pretend fighting" with large sticks which ended when Mira got hit in the eye or mouth by her brother Percival.

In addition to typical training Mira had additional studies as well, diplomacy, etiquette, things that her position required. By the time she was 10, she would often accompany her father when he was in his throne room, holding public sessions. Mira would mingle and played with other children as their parents would meet.

Thus over the several years, she would meet with Father Leoric Hubert who would teach her "the basic skills she should know", during which he developed a personal interest in the young ones faith and combat abilities, guiding her to understandings of the flow of the "Water Domain", where she furthered her religious and combat training.

By the young age of 18, she was a full fled Priestess of Water and sent out on her "first set of assignments", only to During her assignment she encountered a magical whirlpool that sucked her up and flung her into a future she never knew existed...never return... Instead she found herself awakening on the shores of Porta, unbeknownst her home had fallen centuries ago.

Roleplaying Sample:
How Mira attuned herself to the Water domain thru guidance / prayer / meditation:

Something found in all things surrounded her, yet if one asked her to describe it, she would have said it was nothing. She was alone, yet connected to everything. It was infinite, but she was as one with it.

It was where she felt the most at home.

Mira's consciousness glided through an ocean of darkness at least that was how her mind interpreted it. There was nothing to move through, and even had there been light, there was nothing to be illuminated.

Yet through the dark waters, Mira searched. She searched for a thing unseen. She searched for truth unknown, but not unknowable. In the vast oceans nothing was unknowable. It was not a question of knowing, but of understanding.

Mira searched for the little lights, which were not lights, but colorful dots that show where each person or being reached into the vast ocean of life. Her mind gave each of them colors, translating what was more like a feeling into something she could define, or relate to. Through these colors she saw emotion and in some case the true essence of who they were.

She had searched for a very long time. She searched past anger, jealousy, fear – things that that the people would rather remain hidden. She let them remain. It was actions, not thoughts, which dictated a person’s place in the world. Their thoughts dictated their place in the universe, and mankind had no business interfering there.

Then she found what she sought. That it took so long for Mira to find a being of such great power should have been a surprise but once she realized what she was looking for, it made much more sense. She was now one with water, one with the life stream.

Last edited by kaylara; May 18th, 2020 at 03:33 PM.
Old May 16th, 2020, 06:52 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2257
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Very cool background Kaylara, never seen that one before.
Old May 16th, 2020, 07:40 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Is that background Wizards of the Coast???
Old May 16th, 2020, 07:52 PM
Emotionally void Runner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1016
Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredSyn View Post
Is that background Wizards of the Coast???
Says it's Kobold Press if you click the link.
Old May 16th, 2020, 08:17 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 428
Dirty Magic Dirty Magic Dirty Magic Dirty Magic Dirty Magic
Hey... it's almost identical to archeologist. Except I get a shovel, too.

Last edited by Dirty Magic; May 16th, 2020 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Added picture of wicked shovel.
Old May 17th, 2020, 04:03 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 738
GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh
Just gonna save this post for my app over here, don't mind me.

Application
Name: Joseph Rogerson
right-aligned image
I need weapons!!

Race: Variant Human
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Class: Fighter(Eldritch Knight)
Description: Joseph stands over 5 foot tall, wearing a custom made leather armor mixed with pieces of heavy armor over his muscular physique. His eyes are clear blue with ashen blonde hair. No one would have guessed that behind the standoffish appearance and deadpan stare holds a brilliant mind that has a great understanding in the arcane arts. The charismatic voice and gentle manners that accompanies with him often surprises people who thought of him as a simple grunt. To those that Joseph sees as a friend, he exudes an aura of friendliness and is an all around great drinking buddy. But to those that he views as an enemy, he won't be merciful.
Personality: Joseph has been in his fair shares of trauma, the warring land he comes from tends to do that. To this day, his still haunted by the battles his been in, by the villages that burn for the fuels of war, and by the blood he has spilled on his very hands. The only reason that he survived this far was cause of his intelligence, the allies his made, the girl he dreams to be with and his need to keep on surviving to go back home.

Background Selection: Soldier
Personality Traits: I can stare down a hell hound without flinching.
I’m haunted by memories of war. I can’t get the images of violence out of my mind.
Ideal: Greater Good. Our lot is to lay down our lives in defense of others. (Good)
Bond: I’ll never forget the crushing defeat my company suffered or the enemies who dealt it.
Flaw: My hatred of my enemies is blind and unreasoning.
Roleplaying Sample: "R-right away honored patron." The bartender squeaks at the sight of Joseph. His been in this tavern before, he caused a lot of trouble for the owner during his last visit, said owner then rushes to pull a key from a rack of similar keys"That'll be..." He looks at Joseph, then looks away. "On the house." he puts the key on the bar in front of you, then retreats as if expecting a blow.

Joseph received a message of a new contract that's about to set sail through new ventures, he didn't know who send it but he couldn't ignore an opportunity like that. Though the taverns mood has certainly soured when he entered, Joseph smirks to himself and then stands up on top of his bar stool and loudly proclaims,"DRINKS ON ME TONIGHT LADS, GO ALL OUT", he says, he flips only one gold piece towards the bartender, the bartender scowls at him but does as his told, the crowd belatedly cheer at Joseph's announcement, and the mood around the tavern lightens.

Joseph then notices a male human that has the looks and charm of a sailor, waving at him to come over. He does so,"I suppose your my employer, well you must have a fearsome reputation to intimidate Ol' Durkwick" he says, gesturing towards the bartender that's servicing free drinks to the patrons. The sailor responds with a chuckle,"Yes, while you see my friend, we are people of influence in Porta. Anyone that's lived so long in this town should have a right to fear us."

Joseph felt a bit of an uneasiness from his employer, he took a swig of his ale to numb it down,"So I've heard your ship has a need for an additional crew member. Now, I don't really know how to man a ship but I good with any of kinds of weaponry, and I'm not joking when I said any." he says, flipping a wooden spoon on the table and throws it, like a dart, at a wanted poster and it hits directly on it's head.

"Hmm, good, we could use men of your skills for this job. Though this won't be an easy one, but I trust that you won't disappoint us. But I guess only time will tell my friend, time will tell."

Last edited by GoombaJosh; May 17th, 2020 at 08:26 PM.
Old May 17th, 2020, 04:28 PM
Emotionally void Runner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1016
Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb
Updated with the RP sample.
Old May 17th, 2020, 07:35 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 529
swangrace swangrace swangrace swangrace swangrace swangrace
”Application”
right-aligned image
Name:Aila Xyrsalor
Race: Elf
Alignment: CG
Class: Wizard- Bladesinger

Description: Aila is an average build standing at 5’5” and weighing in at 110 pounds. She keeps her brown hair a medium length feathered above her shoulders. She mainly wears it loose but will pull it back on windy days so it doesn't blow into her work. The ink is a pain to wash out of her hair and her fingers are stained with it; a true sign of an artist. She has warm brown eyes that give her face a friendly look. She carries a large bag with her full of scroll cases to keep her larger drawings safe from the elements. She also carries several different sketchbooks to separate and organize her different drawing subjects. She has one for plants, one for animals, one for people, and then one for land features and other miscellaneous sketches. She has a hawk familiar, Artemis, that flies above to give her a birdseye view of the land to help with her sketches.

Personality: A smile frequently is found on Aila’s face. She loves playing pranks on people, for she feels as though laughter helps lift the spirits. She remembers when life was a daily struggle but has found that finding joy in simple things helps to get through the day. After she became an apprentice, she worked hard and doesn’t take things for granted. She is slightly overconfident of her own work being coddled by the Guild Master, but she continues to study and hone her craft. She feels as though her destiny lies in her fame and she plans to see her work published far and wide throughout the lands.

Background: Aila Xyrsalor was raised among pickpockets and prostitutes in Porta. When her father died, her mother Adphine had no choice but to become a lady of the night to provide for herself and her newborn twins, Aila and Bina. Bina and Aila were friends in every way growing up, but complete opposites in personality. Where Aila was carefree and rather naive, Bina was intense and more worldly. Aila enjoyed drawing in the streets, Bina enjoyed pickpocketing. When Aila was a youth, a world-famous cartographer discovered her natural artistic talent in the pictures she drew in the alleys and brick walkways through the streets. When finding out it was a child, he was ecstatic and offered her mother a sack full of gold in exchange for taking Aila on as his apprentice in order to hone her natural skills. Seeing this as a chance for one of her daughters to leave her troubled life behind and have a chance at a better life, she agrees. Bina was hurt she was not given this option as well and grew to resent her sister for it. Seeking her own way in life, she joined a pirate crew and set sail on her own soon after. No word of her has come back to Porta since she left.

Aila grew up knowing that she owes a great debt to Guild Master Zynder for taking her in. Coming of age, it is now time for her to make her own way through the world. She hires herself out to the dwarven ship’s captain to go to work at sea and begin the work of mapping out and drawing the flora and fauna of the new worlds she is promised they will discover on this trek. This fresh beginning leads her into adventure and will help propel her ambitions for her future living up to her Master’s great name. She hopes in her travels that she will find out what happened to her sister and be able to reconcile their friendship as well.

Background Selection: Guild Artisan- Cartographer
Personality Traits: I believe that anything worth doing is worth doing right. I can't help it – I'm a perfectionist. I like to talk at length about my profession.
Ideal: Freedom. Everyone should be free to pursue his or her own livelihood. (Chaotic)
Bond: I owe my guild a great debt for forging me into the person I am today.
Flaw: I'm horribly jealous of anyone who can outshine my handiwork. Everywhere I go, I'm surrounded by rivals.

Roleplaying Sample: Aila closes her eyes and reopens them. The harbor comes into sharp focus from a top-down perspective. It is typical of the region, a shallow shore with the waters utterly clear. From the top every fish and rock can be seen, all in a turquoise hue. Around her the gulls swoop, crying out in that repetitive way they do. The boats bob and creak, tugging on their moorings to the piers. Behind them are the sherbet-colored houses that are tall with pointed roofs, clustered in like old friends reassured by their closeness. The houses are identical in shape and size but no two are the same shade. They are yellow, lilac, blue, red, orange, and every shade in between. Each one is not only a house but also a shop run by the folks that live there, selling various wares ranging from meats and vegetables to fine leather goods. From the bright yellow lamp posts hang the flags of Porta and in the town square, there is a market. She can't see the fish from this height, but she knows from her many visits that they are there. Lying on those tables, silver scales to the sun is the morning's catch fresh for the pickings. The air is a salty breeze blowing over the new white paint along the sea wall. The ocean brings life, movement and a place to rest the eye away from the bustle of life. It is where the clouds roam freely above - the view unhindered by the rising of hills.

Aila closes her eyes again, distancing herself from Artemis. She looks out from the window she has set her easel before. It is thrown wide open and the salty sea breeze flows in cool on her pale flesh. She looks out on the boats in the harbor with the crews running to and fro on the docks preparing for their upcoming travels. She breathes in the salty air deeply. That is life... real life… Taking up her palette, with each stroke she commits to the canvas the view of Porta that Artemis gave her dreaming of the day when she can join those crews and taste the freedom the sea offers for herself.

Last edited by swangrace; May 21st, 2020 at 05:51 PM.
Old May 17th, 2020, 08:26 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 738
GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh
And done with my app, feedback is much appreciated.