Other MonsterHearts 2: Age of Uncertainty - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jul 15th, 2020, 07:44 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 300
Dunderklumpen Dunderklumpen Dunderklumpen Dunderklumpen
I'd really like to play some Monsterhearts. I've been toying with this idea for a Hollow, leaning into some of the weirder aspects of that skin.

Dawn
right-aligned image
Name: Dawn Porter
Skin: Hollow
Origin: Amnesiac

Background

Dawn will tell you that her family recently moved into a dilapidated house on the edge of town, and that her folks aren't home at the moment because they both work long hours.

The truth is, her home life is an elaborately constructed lie. So invested in her constructed family, that she mostly believes it herself. She doesn't know how long she's been living this lie, or how she came to be here. She doesn't really remember a time before a couple of months ago.

She gets by through a job at the local diner where she's been doing the graveyard shifts (late night and early morning). The time fits in with school and the patrons at that time usually stick to themselves, which suits her.

Dawn is (for want of a better term to describe her) a psychic leech, feeding off and adapting to those around her. She has no memory and no personality of her own and attempts to fill that void of character by unconsciously adopting the mannerisms, moods and behavior of those around her.

Skin Details

Look: Haunted, wide eyes
Stats: Hot -1 Cold -1 Volatile 2 Dark 1

Moves:
Better than Nothing - When you gain a Condition, mark experience
Metamorphosis - When you Gaze Into the Abyss, on a 7 or higher the abyss will also show you what you must become, and you can permanently swap two of your stats.

Last edited by Dunderklumpen; Jul 16th, 2020 at 09:08 PM.
Old Jul 15th, 2020, 07:58 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 503
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
@Girlplay: Give me some time to think about it. I'm leaning towards scrapping and redoing. Like you said, nothing is set in stone.
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 01:21 AM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13555
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
@Hal: No problem. Give it some thought and if you want to run something by me to get an opinion, I'm happy to lend another perspective.

@Dunderklumpen: Welcome! I don't have time just not to write a proper response just now but Dawn seems interesting so far. I'll post more tomorrow.

One quick point of clarification: Does Dawn live alone?

Last edited by girlplay; Jul 16th, 2020 at 01:22 AM.
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 01:30 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlplay View Post
@Dunderklumpen: Welcome! I don't have time just not to write a proper response just now but Dawn seems interesting so far. I'll post more tomorrow.

One quick point of clarification: Does Dawn live alone?
The basic idea is that constructed parents are a fiction, and I think that it would be fun to have her actually alone.

It could also be the case that she's not alone, and someone else (maybe someone that is deeply involved with her weird circumstances) is living with her maybe acting as a guardian. Perhaps she does have parents but she's made up some grand lie about what they are like that differs from reality.

I think this is a flexible point depending on what works best.

Last edited by Dunderklumpen; Jul 16th, 2020 at 02:00 AM.
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 03:03 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
Alright, sorry about the drastic change but give me another look at the original post.
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 03:32 PM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
@Dunderklumpen: I've had some time to reread and think about Dawn. I have a few questions:
1) Does anybody in town or in the school remember Dawn from before she lost her memory or is she completely unknown?

2) At the diner, Dawn has spent some time with coworkers and perhaps a few regular customers. Does one of them have a trait, mannerism, or habit that Dawn has started emulating? What is that?

3) What trait does Dawn display that's clearly not a copy from somebody that's she's had contact with, but could be attribute to the "real her"?
@Hal Hammerhand: Okay, I see. Daniel the Infernal is the new concept. Let's take a deeper look at the character.
1) Has the Dark Power ever talked to Danny directly, or it always in vague whispers and images? Does the Dark Power have a name that Daniel is aware of?

2) What do his close friends and family think about his transformation from a nerdy, goth kid into a confidence hunk?

3) What is the thing that Daniel wants most of all?

Interest so far
PlayerCharacterStyleSkin
HyregothZachary "Zach" WolvenAngry jockThe Werewolf
UrsinorumVictor HerringShy academicThe Ghoul
Hal HammerhandDaniel "Danny" PerkinsStrapping cool guyThe Infernal
DunderklumpenDawn PorterImitating new kidThe Hollow

And... just some of my notes about the side characters:

Zach's mom - plastic surgeon
Zach's dad - corporate attorney
Vic's grandmother - Louise. Judgmental, shaming.
Vic's father (deceased) - Paul Herring. Former police officer.
Vic's mother (deceased)
Danny's parents - John and Jane Perkins. Cutthroat Real Estate team.
????? - the man with the silver beard. Recognizes and is scared of Dawn?

Hollie Carson - student, semi-popular, know-it-all. Vic's rival for valedictorian.
Ned Stevens - student. Throws parties!
Andy Williams (deceased) - student. Chess club. Vic's friend.
Jack Nelson - student. Handsome, popular. Boy scout. Zach's friend. Vic's crush.
Natalie Stevens - student. Goth girl. Danny's "true friend" who wishes for more.
Lacey Whitaker - student. Shy, bookish and nerdy. Dawn's BFF and coworker.

Last edited by girlplay; Jul 16th, 2020 at 10:05 PM.
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 05:01 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@Girlplay:

1) Has the Dark Power ever talked to Danny directly, or it always in vague whispers and images? Does the Dark Power have a name that Daniel is aware of?
-Vague whispers and images so far but I'm sure, the more in debt Danny becomes, the more 'Aggressive' the voice will become.
-So far, it hasn't even shaped itself into an entity by giving itself a name, it's masquerading as Danny's dark side, the devil on his shoulder.

2) What do his close friends and family think about his transformation from a nerdy, goth kid into a confidence hunk?
-His closest friend, Another player? or Natalie Stevensa fellow goth didn't see him all summer but still tries to hang out with him even despite his change and the fact that he acts like he doesn't have time to talk to her, he's too busy trying to make/participate in the football team.
-His parents became less and less involved in Danny's life in the early goth stages and are far too busy with their jobs as Real Estate agent Duo, nicknamed "The Perkins Pair".

-Natalie Stevens: Typical trope, That girl that wants to be Danny's girlfriend but he doesn't see her signals but they remain friends.
-John and Jane Perkins: Almost famous Real Estate agents that always work together in a cutthroat competition against other real estate companies in the area.

3) What is the thing that Daniel wants most of all?
Most of all, he wants to fit in, to find a place where he is wanted, to have friends, to be popular. In his search for this he is blinded to the one friend he does have that is just doing her best to play the part of a group of friends/care for him as much as he seems to need.

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; Jul 17th, 2020 at 04:10 PM.
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 08:43 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
1) Does anybody in town or in the school remember Dawn from before she lost her memory or is she completely unknown?
No one seems to remember her. However, a few days ago she was walking to her job and passed a well dressed man with a silver beard. He started when he noticed her, turned white and hastily disappeared. She felt a chill of surprise and fear run through her.

Dawn tried to chase him but couldn't keep up. She's looked for him about town, but hasn't seen him again.

Quote:
2) At the diner, Dawn has spent some time with coworkers and perhaps a few regular customers. Does one of them have a trait, mannerism, or habit that Dawn has started emulating? What is that?
One of Dawn's classmates also works there. Lacey Whitaker is shy, bookish and nerdy. Dawn has adopted enough of Lacey's mannerisms so that Lacey considers Dawn a new BFF, putting Dawn into the lower stratum of the schools social hierarchy and making her (like Lacey) a target for bullies

Quote:
3) What trait does Dawn display that's clearly not a copy from somebody that she's had contact with, but could be attributed to the "real her"?
One of Dawn's weird nervous tics is to roll a coin across her knuckles. She does it without noticing and with a practiced ease. Who even has coins these days? Dawn!

Last edited by Dunderklumpen; Jul 16th, 2020 at 08:45 PM. Reason: formatting for ease of reading
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 08:54 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I'd just like to say that I think all these characters are very cool.

I dig the jock Werewolf, and I love an Infernal (especially a Taylor Kitsch Infernal) and I think that @Ursinorum has an awesome take on the Ghoul.
Old Jul 17th, 2020, 02:14 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I've added the basic skin choices (moves, stats) to Dawn
Old Jul 17th, 2020, 06:32 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1156
Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum
Also added the skin details to the app.

Thanks Dunderklumper, can't wait to see these misfits interact!

Love the recap, Girlplay!

Last edited by Ursinorum; Jul 17th, 2020 at 06:33 AM.
Old Jul 17th, 2020, 10:46 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Thank you, dunder.
Old Jul 17th, 2020, 04:07 PM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursinorum View Post
Love the recap, Girlplay!
One of my goals is to take excellent notes so that we have as much information recorded and available as possible.

So... speaking of places to keep our information: the game thread has been created. Please follow the link below and you can post your characters there.

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18834
Old Jul 17th, 2020, 11:43 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
When we are ready to do Backstory questions. I have the following for Dawn:

You’ve been taking your social cues from someone, and doing so has taught you a lot about them. Gain 2 Strings on them.

Someone’s seen through your invented past, and realized it’s all lies. They gain 2 Strings on you.
Old Jul 17th, 2020, 11:52 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlplay View Post
One of my goals is to take excellent notes so that we have as much information recorded and available as possible.
One of the things that I found really useful when I ran a Monsterhearts Pbp game was to do a set of agendas (MC moves) for each character. This was just for my reference and wasn't shared with the players.

Here's the agendas for two of the characters from that game.

Quote:
Lily Kertz - the Vampire
  • Temp her with victims
  • Make her feel like a monster
  • Show her the futility of mercy
  • Make her feel owned by her sire

Shawn McKean - the Ghost
  • Remind him that hes dead
  • Show him hope for a happy unlife and take it away
  • Make him feel the trauma of his death
  • Remind him of the mystery of how he died