Other [Lancer] Code Geass: Ronin of the Rebellion - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook
0 6 8 0
... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old Aug 2nd, 2020, 08:21 PM
The bird with the words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6614
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
The risk of swingy combat isn't lost on me, which is why it was only a consideration rather than something I'd already implemented in my planning. The thing about PbP is that following strict sequences of 'now this player can go' rarely works.

I've been developing a process of telegraphing NPC actions per round in my Stars Without Number game on Crossing that seems to have worked fairly well so far, and wouldn't require much change for Lancer. It requires trust in players to separate meta-knowledge from player knowledge, but in my experience players on Crossing are generally willing to play ball on meta-knowledge.

Last edited by HotsuSama; Aug 2nd, 2020 at 08:25 PM.
Old Aug 2nd, 2020, 08:28 PM
Adult Dragon Bones

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 316
PSinha PSinha PSinha PSinha
Could you explain how that system works? Sounds interesting

Old Aug 2nd, 2020, 08:34 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3778
Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil
What if you ran an OOC mechanics thread, so that you and the players have the back and forth of initiative combat, then at the end of each round every player is responsible for a narrative post, where they can weave together all the results with tons of extra fluff (i.e. you can have all sorts of team manouvers, cross chatter, etc so long as the end state of the battlefield is what was rolled in the mechanics thread). I know most players respond much more rapidly in OOC threads where all you're expected to do is make a few small decisions and roll some dice.
Old Aug 2nd, 2020, 08:37 PM
The bird with the words

Tools
User Statistics
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
In short, I'll generally post once per round, which will process the moves that have occurred, update the map and stats, and then outline 'this is the most likely action each NPC will take in the current circumstances for the upcoming round' and the order in which they'd most likely carry out those actions.

And yes, I overlooked mentioning it in my last post, but my preference will be that players act in the order in which they post. If players want to ensure that someone specific acts first, then that'll be something for them to discuss in OOC chat, but otherwise it's first come, first served.

@Mythrandil: current plan was the usual Crossing setup, a general OOC chat thread and a mechanics thread for dice rolling. I'm happy to trial an additional OOC for combat planning if players feel having it in the general OOC thread isn't desirable.

Last edited by HotsuSama; Aug 2nd, 2020 at 08:40 PM.
Old Aug 2nd, 2020, 11:43 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 41
techRomancer
While I'm not familiar with Crossing conventions yet, alternating player/NPC turns but not requiring a specific player order does seem like the smoothest way to run things while hewing closer to Lancer rules.

I believe Trouble is complete! Does her Geass power seem reasonable/thematically appropriate? I was also considering some sort of healing power, but wasn't sure if that might lie too far outside the purview of mental effects. Maybe some sort of mind-healing power? Bring a balancing effect to people suffering under mental stress, trauma, or disorder... calm raging emotions like fear, anger, etc. There's a war on, I'm sure there are plenty of people with PTSD to treat.

I don't know if it'd be too much to make it full-on telempathy, reading and influencing peoples' emotions...

Last edited by techRomancer; Aug 2nd, 2020 at 11:45 PM.
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 12:11 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1104
Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent
I think that initiative system sounds pretty good.

In one of my 5E games, I have everyone roll initiative and then give their post in any order. Then, by the time my turn as DM comes up, I sort of weave the narrative together based on when their initiative was, what was going on then and with a smidge of retconning when things change. It seems to be working alright and still respects the high initiative builds.

I imagine if we telegraphed what our probable reactions and such would be, similar to HotsuSama, then it will usually work out fine.

This works if everyone has the approach of telling a cool story together and not "DM vs PCs" tactical battle. I can vouch that HotsuSama is a shared experience type of creator.

Last edited by Arjent; Aug 3rd, 2020 at 12:13 AM.
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 12:27 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1857
Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson
Quote:
Originally Posted by techRomancer View Post
I don't know if it'd be too much to make it full-on telempathy, reading and influencing peoples' emotions...
In a game with people who can do such extraordinary things with these powers, I think the sky is the limit.

I'm curious as to how rules around the Geass powers will work.

Last edited by Crimson; Aug 3rd, 2020 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Too much spoilerage, sorry.
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 03:42 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 929
UnderDarkLord UnderDarkLord UnderDarkLord UnderDarkLord UnderDarkLord UnderDarkLord UnderDarkLord UnderDarkLord
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSinha View Post
To: HotsuSamaThis is coming pretty late, but how do the general public of Japan react to Britannian influence, and the renaming of Japan to Area 11? Do they still have a spirit of being Japanese, or are they cowed into letting their culture die out?
It is important for the character I am building, so if you would rather I stick to the anime canon, please mention how it is there.
There are Elevens who take pride in the label. Typically these are people who were looked down upon by Japanese society (criminals, the poor, outsider minorities), when they find they can earn some respect by being useful Elevens. This is rare though, and non-existent among the rebels.

On a completely different note. Clearly Britannia has superior organization, able to front a 4-person squad completely while the rebels scrabble to get their broader numbers finished up — In other words, Britannia has 4 completed apps first

Officially doing 60K words for NaNoWriMo, so only checking forums 1-2 times per day.

Last edited by UnderDarkLord; Aug 3rd, 2020 at 03:45 AM.
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 03:48 AM
Adult Dragon Bones

Tools
User Statistics
Aah, everything is ready for my character, except the RP example is too long. Maybe I should have written a different scene.
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 07:58 AM
The bird with the words

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
I believe Trouble is complete! Does her Geass power seem reasonable/thematically appropriate? I was also considering some sort of healing power, but wasn't sure if that might lie too far outside the purview of mental effects. Maybe some sort of mind-healing power? Bring a balancing effect to people suffering under mental stress, trauma, or disorder... calm raging emotions like fear, anger, etc. There's a war on, I'm sure there are plenty of people with PTSD to treat.

I like the empathy ability you've got currently and think it fits as a concept for a plausible Geass power. The calming/healing ability as a good one as well. It could work as a radius-based effect, that everyone within a certain distance from you can feel calmed and soothed by default as long as you keep your power active. Turning it onto someone with eye contact as a directed effect might dial up the calming effect and 'dope' them, putting them into a stupor.

Full telepathy within a specific radius is already an established Geass power, so telempathy is totally fine as well. As Crimson says, there's a high ceiling on this.

It depends on what you want to focus on - beliefs or emotions? I feel it's best to go with one of those and then we can build it up from the ideas above and in your original posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
I'm curious as to how rules around the Geass powers will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderDarkLord View Post
On a completely different note. Clearly Britannia has superior organization, able to front a 4-person squad completely while the rebels scrabble to get their broader numbers finished up — In other words, Britannia has 4 completed apps first
I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice that! No wonder Britannia's in charge, clearly they're the superior bureaucrats.

Also, @Everyone: I know I declared I'd give feedback to applications about now. I haven't had as much time to re-read as I'd like due to some tight work deadlines, so it might be another couple of days. Not forgotten, just delayed.
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 12:20 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 41
techRomancer
I think I will wait to decide for sure on a Geass power until the final roster shakes out. But sticking to an option with specific conditions sounds more interesting than open-ended telempathy, so I'll rule that out even if it's technically possible.

Since Talents weren't part of the app process, I figured I'd ask first - is it alright if we discuss plans for builds/licenses, or would you prefer that wait until you've chosen your players? I enjoy theorycrafting and building around a party, but I understand if you don't want to involve more of the mechanical side of things yet.
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 09:30 AM
The bird with the words

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
I think I will wait to decide for sure on a Geass power until the final roster shakes out. But sticking to an option with specific conditions sounds more interesting than open-ended telempathy, so I'll rule that out even if it's technically possible.
That's fine. You still have weeks to tinker with the application, so nothing has to be set in stone now.

Quote:
Since Talents weren't part of the app process, I figured I'd ask first - is it alright if we discuss plans for builds/licenses, or would you prefer that wait until you've chosen your players? I enjoy theorycrafting and building around a party, but I understand if you don't want to involve more of the mechanical side of things yet.
Regarding builds/mechs, I'm happy for applicants to disclose their intentions as an optional extra, but I didn't want to make it a requirement for the application.
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 01:42 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 390
Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf
Well if it matters, I was thinking of building towards tech/hack attacks and debuffs and going rather light on actual combat. More than likely aiming for the Goblin frame

Last edited by Preacherwolf; Aug 5th, 2020 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Fixing my atrocious spelling
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 02:17 AM
Adult Dragon Bones

Tools
User Statistics
That's definitely combat, and I would say an integral part of it. I was building a Striker, so your idea will be a great help.
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 02:24 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 997
EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae
Sugi's gonna be all about that heavy artillery life. Defiantly want the Stormbringer talents and maybe a Monarch frame.