DnD5e Empire of the Setting Sun - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook
0 7 9 0
... raised for charity!
All donations matched (doubled) until Dec 20!
: +

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2020, 10:05 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 771
Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by spire View Post
Wouldn't a hand fan work?
@spire Actually yes, I think that'll do just fine.
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 04:10 PM
Bladesinger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3290
Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil
In the table Namida is displayed as Dragonborn, but she's to be a Half-Drow.
Btw, are half-elf subraces from xgta in play?
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 04:47 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1648
Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar
left-aligned image

Application Completed to my Satisfaction
Fujima, Hiroki :
19 years Half-Orc Male Fighter

-X-X-X-
Criminal Specialty: EnforcerCriminal Background
Trait #1 Thinking is for others, I prefer Action
Trait #2 I judge by actions... deeds not words
Flaw I would kill to acquire a Noble's title
Ideal If I am strong, I can take what I want, what I deserve
Bond I owe my life to another, who taught me how to survive

Personality: Quiet, Gruff, Foreboding... All of these words could adequately describe Hiroki. While he might appear standoffish to those unfamiliar with the Half-Orc, he is deeply loyal and true to those who have put forth the time and effort to get to know the young man. Dark thoughts of unclaimed power, and respect, tend to swirl within him. And though he is sometimes able to ignore these impulses, other times they are all consuming, able to compel him into action. He wants to pull himself from the mud, and his inborn physicality tends to guide his problem-solving skills. It is said that if you are brave enough to try standing on your own, you will always find an ally by your side in Hiroki.

Appearance: Yellowish thick hide covers the young man's broad, sturdy, frame. While coarse sheaves of hair, the color of ink, and smelling of cooking oil, are slicked back away from his eyes and face. Finally, brown eyes peer judgingly out from behind a pronounced brow. Hiroki is of an average height, but is visibly built thicker than the other common-folk of the Empire.

Backstory: Growing up in a poor farming village, Hiroki was often forced to face the reality of little food. His parents tried to support him with what they could, but even by spreading their own portions thin, there just wasn't enough to sustain the growing half-orc boy. Deciding it was for the best, they sent him to a workhouse in the nearby city; under the promise there was a place for him to learn a trade, to grow as a person, and most importantly to eat. Once he arrived, however, it became apparent to him that this "arrangement" was no real improvement to his situation.

One thing did change for the better during his time there, Renishi was another young child, like him. But unlike Hiroki, He had already learned many useful ways for filling his mouth. And he also had friends, older men and women who would give him food and attention in exchange for coin and other little things he brought to them in trade. It was a challenging game at first; but he was able to survive. And the stronger, and faster Hiroki got, the easier it became to win. He learned that talking was good for some, but you couldn't eat the air. A quick finger into a pocket, or a knife to the ribs, had a much more...tangible...benefit to his survival. Many bullies would like to talk, but if they can't back up their words with fists? Or blades? Than they aren't worth throwing in with... You have to be tough in this world to get what you want.

Why are you interested in this game? This game seems to be set in a unique and interesting setting, and I hope I get a chance to explore it.

Last edited by Alemar; Nov 1st, 2020 at 05:22 AM.
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 08:12 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daendil View Post
In the table Namida is displayed as Dragonborn, but she's to be a Half-Drow.
Btw, are half-elf subraces from xgta in play?
@Daendil Fixed!

I haven't been able to find any reference to half-drow in Xanathar's. Could you give a page reference?

At any rate, there's no setting reason why your character can't be half-drow. There are drow, and there are half-elves. Therefore it stands to reason there would be half-drow. However, mechanically it may have to use the half-elf traits out of the PHB.

Last edited by Menzo; Oct 20th, 2020 at 12:48 AM.
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 08:38 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2200
Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menzo View Post
@Daendil Fixed!

I haven't been able to find any reference to half-drow in Xanathar's. Could you give a page reference?

At any rate, there's no setting reason why your character can't be half-drow. There are drow, and there are half-elves. Therefore it stands to reason there would be half-drow. However, mechanically it may have to use the half-elf traits out of the PHB.
PG 20 Players Handbook is a subrace of Elf and is on the right side of the page. For Drow not Half Drow.

Last edited by Sarge67; Oct 19th, 2020 at 08:38 PM.
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 08:47 PM
Sic itur ad astra

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1021
InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menzo View Post
@Daendil Fixed!

I believe half-drow is in SCAG.

I updated Kotori by the way. Hopefully this time, I'm satisfied with what I've got down

Last edited by InMemoriam; Oct 19th, 2020 at 08:48 PM.
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 09:03 PM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13940
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
right-aligned image
Name: Chikane Kawasumi
Race: Human
Class: Cleric (Roaming Exorcist) | Or Miko/Shrine Maiden
Alignment: NG
Diety: Amaterasu Omikami
Traits: Regal Presence

Description: Chikane has long black hair and piercing brown eyes. She tends to wear the standard Miko outfit wherever she goes. Beyond that she stands at around 5' 6" and weighs around 140 pounds. She is lithe and slim.

Personality: Chikane is soft spoken, almost seeming shy when she speaks. This is because she is humble and knows that she is merely the servant of something much greater. That her wisdom is nothing compared to that of the Omikami. So, she is soft spoken except in extreme circumstances.

Background: Chikane was born to a noble family, but all of her life she was fascinated by the Kami. She studied so much in the hopes that she would become a shrine maiden. Her parents, unable to truly prevent the studies would try their best to get her to be interested in other pursuits, but such attempts were in vain. She continued to study the ways of each of the Kami and prepared herself for the day she would begin training. Once she was old enough she went to a local shrine and presented herself for training.

The training to become a Miko was not easy, but Chikane endured and found that Amaterasu Omikami truly spoke to her. She took up books dedicated to the goddess and learned more about the ways of the great ruler of Takama no Hara. As she learned more Chikane realized that serving Amaterasu at the Shrine was somewhat limiting. The great goddess had shown her that there were many malignant spirits in the world and that one trained in the shrine would be adept at finding and removing them for the great lady of the sun. It was this knowledge that lead her to finally leave the shrine and begin wandering the lands. You can find her even now wandering the land a single Miko dedicated to exorcising evil spirits, destroying undead, and enjoying the beauty in the the rising of the great goddess herself.

Why are you interested in this game? LGBTQI+ Inclusive, I am fascinated with Japanese Culture and history and have even Studied the Meiji Restoration, Shrine Maiden is a class or reskin of a class that I have been wanting to play for many many years now. Plus there's a beautiful map and it looks so very interesting.

Last edited by Ysolde; Oct 27th, 2020 at 12:42 AM.
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 10:17 PM
Bladesinger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3290
Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil
@Menzo: my bad, as @InMemoriam wrote it's in SCAG. (I'm not sure I even want to choose half-drow traits mechanically over vanilla half-elf, I just ask to see whether to think about it)
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 01:11 AM
Hella Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 299
Thesandwichking Thesandwichking Thesandwichking
Raiku is ready for action! Please excuse the typos, I was rushing to finish and get him up there haha.
Btw he’s rolling sailor not sage
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 07:21 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I have started work on a 'culture' thread for this game, here.

Please do not post in that thread, or any other thread in that folder, without permission. If you have any thoughts or comments, that can be done here. Or you can PM me.

Last edited by Menzo; Oct 20th, 2020 at 08:53 AM.
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 08:01 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4107
Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain
Good Day folks,

I am not submitting an application, but I have spoken with Menzo and he's allowed me to leave a message here for everyone regarding their applications.

I'm actually living in Japan and am myself pretty proficient in Japanese and versed in Japanese culture. So for anyone that is wanting to add those extra elements, fine tune or get a more authentic feel to their application this is just to let you know you can shoot me a DM for help with anything. Although it's not a comprehensive list, these are some of the things that I/Menzo have in mind:

- Names; Kanji, English transcriptions, double meanings/layers/puns and so on, naming conventions etc
- Character details, background elements, cultural specifics
- Depictions of D&D elements with a Japanese flair
- Fun nomenclature for re-skinned classes (for example, like one applicant has already done, Bard -> Geisha) and traits, ideals etc
- Types of weapons (for re-skinning and class-setting matching purposes), naming of gods, spirits, ancestors, etc
- And so on...

Not at all a comprehensive list, just meant to give you an idea. Feel free to ask whatever you like.

Secondarily, Menzo is also happy for me to help out more generally if people want pointers, proofreading, narrative and story help, etc for the applications.

Naturally all of this is just an offer, so it's not at all required or mandatory. Just something here for those who are interested and or wanting to give their applications some extra oomph.
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 10:37 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 57
spire
That sounds great! I've tried to make mine in line with Japanese culture, but I have very little experience with it, so I'm mostly asking for a proofread to make sure that I got things accurate:

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...99#post8929099
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 11:08 AM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6625
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
I would love a proofread to see how I did and how I could do better. My character is kuro-tora on the first page.
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 03:28 PM
One Among the Fence

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 642
Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom
Eramorn Maccar
right-aligned image

Name: Eramorn Maccar

Race: Dragonborn (Blue)

Class: Fighter (Samurai)

Personality:

Eramorn is quiet. Not weird quiet, just quiet. Preferring to let someone else lead and follow his commander in earnest. Only coming to confrontation when his own moral compass points too far away from the task he is being led to.

Once in his unit, whatever that looks like, the dragonborn opens up. Typically over a few drinks or teaching someone cards and dice. He cooks too, and the only place he feels he should have final say is in his kitchen.

Appearance:

Eramorn is large compared to other races. At six foot three and closing in on three hundred pounds he can't help but stick out. The cobalt blue scales accented with off white spikes and tan underbelly don't help him blend in much. He still wears his issued armor, chain overlaid with cloth decorated in clan Maccar's sigil, a dragon claw wrapped in daffodils.

Background

Eramorn grew up on a southern peninsula off Shikoku, in his clan village of Maccari. In Maccari every fledgling was conscripted into a small army. This was to fend off the generational feud between clan Maccar and their neighbors, clan Tairugi. At this point the reason for war had long been lost, but resentment remained.

Eramorn was ecstatic when he reached age to join. Even as a young boy he had found a mentor to begin training with polearms in anticipation of his proving years. He was a good soldier, though his military career very short-lived. Eramorn’s platoon was sent out to guard the yearly hunts, and in a dirty move the Tairugi ambushed the platoon at night, leaving five kin alive and raiding the hunters for food, though thankfully without loss of civilian lives.

When the few returned it was ruled that nothing could have been prepared for an assault that ignored combat procedures, and the soldiers were honorably released from conscription. This left a bad taste in Eramorn’s mouth, but without any avenue of honorable retaliation, He felt his true proving had slipped away. He requested leave from the clan, and was granted such with promise of a warm welcome upon his return. With little more than his armor, weapons, and small pack, the Maccari soldier headed north towards Izu, hoping to find his lost honor and prove himself the warrior young Eramorn had always dreamed of.

Why am I interested in this game? The high fantasy feudal japan setting sounds very fun. I have yet to spend alot of time in a homebrew and this one allows for alot of character development and group integration.

Last edited by Wyrom; Oct 27th, 2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 06:32 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I will be doing reviews this weekend. Please indicate whether you want your character reviewed (it's not compulsory), and whether you'd like it to be reviewed by me or Og or both of us.
Closed Thread