Closed Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2020, 12:04 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 771
Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo
More feedback...

Last edited by Menzo; Oct 24th, 2020 at 12:35 AM.
Old Oct 24th, 2020, 12:32 AM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6522
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Thank you for the feedback, Manzo.
Old Oct 24th, 2020, 01:32 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysolde View Post
My character is ready. If you have any input I would appreciate it but please don't put yourself out too much.

Last edited by Menzo; Oct 24th, 2020 at 02:58 AM.
Old Oct 24th, 2020, 09:35 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
More feedback:

Last edited by Menzo; Oct 24th, 2020 at 09:43 AM.
Old Oct 24th, 2020, 02:27 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16
Tenugui Time
Application

Appplication is complete

right-aligned image

Name: Mitsu Mori

Race: Human
Class: Druid
Background: Hermit

Personality Traits:
I was exiled for a crime I didn't commit.Born of fox and man,
Forest bosom warmed me when
all else forsook me

I often get lost in my own thoughts and contemplation, becoming oblivious to my surroundings. .Bird song, mountain wind
Sunlight slants through open door
What did you just say?

Ideals:
My gifts are to be shared with all and not used for my own benefit. The forest gives me
Secrets and gifts that flow through
me like a river

Bonds:
I entered seclusion to hide from the ones who might still be hunting me. I must someday confront them. My hunt for justice
Grows slowly, like mountain pine
Strong through fiercest wind

Flaws:
I like keeping secrets and won’t share them with anyone. The quiet stream flows
Into darkness ever deep
Lone ginkgo leaf shines

Personality: I am quiet, perceptive, and intelligent. Left to my own devices, I will happily spend hours walking the forest paths surrounding our village. While I tend toward introspection, I have a mischievous and playful side that emerges around my closest confidantes. Others may call me aloof--given my recent past, I am slow to trust others. Once my allegiance is earned, however, my loyalty runs deep. I have a thirst for knowledge and justice and will go to great lengths to protect those who are vulnerable.

Appearance: Raised as the only child of a wealthy merchant family, my tansu were once full of elegant silk kimono, but, as our story opens, I am clad in a simple indigo happi coat and trousers and carry a satchel on my back. I carry a sturdy bamboo walking stick. A necklace of thin leather cord hangs around my neck and disappears into the folds of my coat. My unusual amber eyes and heart shaped face are my most distinctive characteristics, and long ago I learned to ignore the attention they garnered from curious villagers. My body is strong and nimble from long walks in the forest.

Backstory: I know little of my past, my earliest years...memories flutter around me like autumn leaves. I recall the cool forest floor, soft and inviting, as I rest on a bed of moss. Creatures dart around me...soft red fur warms me and eyes, yellow as the harvest moon, watch over me...the taste of chestnut and matsutake linger in my memories.
My parents never speak of my past. They tell me I was a happy child, yet cannot recall when I spoke my first words or took my first steps. I am their only child, their treasure, as they remind me every day. Yet my amber eyes and heart shaped face set me apart from the rest of our family.

Now that I have come of age, my parents urge me to marry. They present me with one suitor after another, but I turn them all away. Though I wish to honor my parents by marrying well, my skin crawls at the thought of matrimony and my gaze turns to the window once more. At night I hear the forest calling to me. The cry of the fox and the call of the owl haunt my dreams. I wake with the taste of pine needles on my tongue and a thirst for cool spring water.

One afternoon, as I walk the forest paths, I stop to rest alongside a still pond. As I gaze upon the glassy surface of the water, I gasp in surprise as my secret stares back at me. At once, a thousand questions are answered and a thousand new ones emerge. A fire ignites inside me and I resolve to venture beyond our village to seek my true identity.

Why are you interested in this game: I’m excited to explore the potential crossover between traditional Japanese mythology and folklore and the world of D&D. Also, Covid sucks and who wouldn’t want to spend some time each week escaping the dystopian hellscape of 2020 by scampering around the forests of feudal Japan as a kick ass fox woman just learning to harness her magical powers?

Last edited by Tenugui Time; Oct 31st, 2020 at 10:04 PM.
Old Oct 24th, 2020, 09:32 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1691
voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie
COMPLETE

Name: Asano Moriko
Race: Tabaxi
Class: Ranger: Gloom Stalker Shinobi

Background: Outlander

Personality: Current Obsession, Western Izu.

1. I'm driven by a wanderlust that led me away from home. I enjoy going to new places, getting to know the people and learning their local traditions. A frog in a well does not know the great sea
2. There's nothing I like more than a good mystery. I always want to know what secrets are behind a legend or story and if a lost object can be found or not. That’s enough for me to keep going

Ideal: I don’t care for gold. The stories, legends, and songs of the past must never be forgotten. Interesting babbles and lore, that’s the kind of treasure I like. Gold coins to a cat

Bond: One day I will return to my clan and prove that I am the greatest artisan of them all.
I am fascinated by new lands and what they offer. To have the freedom to meet new peoples and to learn their ways, not knowing what tomorrow will bring ...what other way of life is there?
Speak of tomorrow and the rats in the ceiling will laugh

Flaw: I am easily distracted by the promise of information. With my insatiable curiosity, if something catches my attention I’ll try to find out more about it until I get bored with it, or someone refocuses my attention back to the task at hand. Those who chase two hares won’t even catch one.

Personality and Appearance: Inquisitive, curious, with a passion for knowledge. Moriko is fascinated by new lands, different cultures and what they have to offer and asks a lot of questions about such things. She can be very nosey and enjoy sticking her nose in to every thing. She's also very curious and wants to know about ever one around her. Friendly and social with a upbeat attitude, at times she can be a little chatty but knows when to be quite or when to quite asking someone about something if they wish not to discuses it.

Moriko looks like, for all intents and purposes, a rather large, upright walking Japanese bobtail cat with humanoid features. She stands around 6 ft tall and with a slender build. Her fur is short and white with calico color spots on her head and on her short, rabbit like tail. Her large oval eyes are a piercing green, which stand out against her white fur. Her front paws are more like humanoid hands having five fingers, allowing for her to grasp and hold items, just like humanoids can. Each hand has a retractable claw that she can use to defend herself if she has too. Her feet of four toes are the same as her fingers but without the retractable claws.

When Moriko is working around the shrine or working as an scout, she wears monks Samue that has muted colors such as brown or black. When she wears either a kimono or a Yukata Moriko’s clan, Smoking Mountain, can be recognized by the patterns on them. They are decorated with bright colorful, flowers and animals that have been adopted from the different peoples who live around them, with the image of a volcano showing somewhere on the print.

Why are you interested in this game? The setting is what caught my attention. It was different from the medieval-European type culture that D&D games are usually set in. I also thought it would be interesting to take Japanese folklore and bring it to life as something that is real and is a fact of life and see what happens.

Last edited by voodoozombie; Nov 15th, 2020 at 06:33 PM.
Old Oct 24th, 2020, 10:37 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Some general notes regarding applications:
1. Please do not include Alignment with your application. I'm not a fan of Alignment.
2. I am officially adding the Haunted One background from Curse of Strahd to the list of approved backgrounds. Please do not take this as an indication that I am about to start allowing other races, classes or backgrounds from other settings, Unearthed Arcana or homebrewed material. It is just that, after due consideration, the Haunted One background feels particularly well suited to the setting of this game.
3. All characters would be part of the Empire, and should have Shikokan/Japanese names... except if you make a compelling case in your Backstory that your character belongs to Yes, there will probably be one or two indigenous peoples in the setting, similar to
how Japan has the Ainu (indigenous to Hokkaido) and Ryukyuan (indigenous to
Okinawa). As yet, I have not decided which D&D races I will use to represent them.
one of the indigenous peoples of Shikoku. Gaijin (foreigners) are exceedingly rare, and restricted to enclaves—one on the east coast of Izu and two on the west coast. By Imperial Edict, gaijin are not permitted to travel within Shikoku.

EDIT:
4. A quick note on names. I have been using the more modern naming convention - ala Oda Nobunaga (Oda=clan name, Nobunaga=given name). Oghain has been recommending the older naming convention which links parts of the name by the possessive 'no' - ala Minamoto no Yoritomo, or Jiro no Takemura. There is no discrepancy here. In historical texts, these naming conventions are often used interchangeably, even when referring to the same historical personage. Feel free to use either convention. Which one you choose will not be the basis for your application being accepted or rejected. 'Rule of cool' applies.

Last edited by Menzo; Oct 25th, 2020 at 12:35 AM.
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 12:01 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4091
Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain
Storytelling and Unfamiliar ElementsI hadn't planned on doing a second thread post like this. However, after I had gotten messages from people and looked more closely at all the apps already up and coming in I definitely noticed some recurring stuff that I think can be better addressed with a post here. A post here because it is fairly general stuff, and not related to my reviews for the applications. The reviews are still coming; I am waiting for Menzo to do theirs so that I don't repeat things and can focus as much as possible on the things I am here to focus on.

That said, for this post I'm going to go through a few things so I will try to keep everything as easy to read and neat for everyone. For these things and related stuff I am happy to answer questions in the thread not just in PM, because most things that might be asked about this will be of a more general nature. Like my first post, anything specific to your character or highly detailed in nature should be done through PM. Off we go...

The main thing that I wanted to offer everyone was some help in finding and capturing that more authentic Japanese feel. Particularly after seeing what a few of you had written in the 'Game Appeal'/'Why does this game interest you' sections on your applications. Theres obviously a lot of interest in Japanese stuff and things. I wanted to offer help because it's rare to see a Japanese themed game and I am in a position to help enrich it, even if only in a small way. As I said in the original post, the Japanese stuff and things and capturing that Japanese feel is the main thing I wanted to help on, and the proof reading and writing checking etc was meant to just be as an added extra. I have noticed a few things now and I think that these can be addressed all together, at a very broad level. So this post is a kind of general two or three birds with one stone kind of thing. NB.: There are some things that I won't mention here, because I will include them in a 'general comments' thing when I do my feedback for everyone.

The Meaning of a Name

Depth of Field and Creative Resources

An Example
"Don't be afraid to create your own detail about the setting and insert it into your application. Although I'm using a setting I've used before, I'm very keen on player involvement and will try to incorporate your ideas into my setting and story." - Menzo

Because of the nature of what this is, pointers for how to capture the Japanese feel of the setting with some 'how to' for what the DM is giving you the freedom to do, I'm gonna give you an example below. It's not going to have every option because that would make it hard to read, but I will do my best to show examples of most things. Not everything will apply to every application however, but it's a general post so...

Jiro no Takemura, The Harvesting Boar

I'll admit, the backstory ended up being a bit longer than I planned/intended it to be, but that's how it is some times. I hope that it ends up being useful for everyone. I know that it can be daunting, especially in a setting you aren't 100% familiar with, but try to keep Menzo's quote in mind. And what you aren't 100% sure on, well those are the things I am here to help you with.

Last edited by Oghain; Oct 25th, 2020 at 05:40 AM.
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 02:58 PM
Bladesinger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3290
Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil
Namida is ready. I'd appreciate a review.
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 09:29 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1691
voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie
@Menzo. You have the wrong character listed on the players table. It should be Asano Moriko!
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 10:08 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@voodoozombie Sorry about that. It was about 2pm at night when I made that change. I probably should have left it until I'd had some sleep.

@everyone I've started work on a thread on the Weapons and Armor of Shikoku. Like my thread on the culture of Shikoku, please consider it to be a WIP that I will be continuously adding to. If you have anything in particular that you'd like to see addressed in either thread, please let me know.

Last edited by Menzo; Oct 25th, 2020 at 10:11 PM.
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 09:09 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 55
Bretel
Application
right-aligned image
Credit goes to kureo95
Name: Small MountainKoyama Meaning "foot" and "advantage".Ashikaga 小山 足利
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Druid (Land of the Mountain)

Background: Noble
Personality Trait: 1: I am always calm, no matter what the situation. I never raise my voice or let my emotions control me. 2: Despite my noble birth, I do not place myself above other folk. We all have the same blood.
Ideal: Respect. Respect is due to me because of my position, but all people regardless of station deserve to be treated with dignity.
Bond: My family, clan, or tribe is the most important thing in my life, even when they are far from me.
Flaw: I am easily distracted by the promise of information.

Appearance: The first look at Koyama will leave almost anyone in awe once they see her platinum white hair; for how can someone with remarkable youth have white hair despite not being old. Standing at 5’9, many are also drawn to her mismatched eyes: the left a bright, vibrant, royal gold and the right being a pale blue with most of all its color lost - with an inconspicuous scar fading right into the eyebrow. Finely built, it is easy to see that she did not have a starved, worked, or athletic body - but one more accustomed for someone who never had their stomach growled but still ate a modest amount of food. Her clothes always being a little too extreme, you can spot her easily within the city, even standing out in a noble setting, with her crimson red robes with intricate designs of roses and mountains weaved into the fabric. Koyama brings with her an ornate golden comb she uses to straighten and tie her hair back whenever a loose hair strays too far from the rest. She also carries on her an ornate dragon mask of mysterious origins. It was a mask that looked like it was made out of gold but wouldn't act as gold would. Horns made their way out of the top not of bone, but of wood. Red engraving decorated in the mask in a way that told anyone that she is noble.

Personality: The servants and caretakers of the Koyama Estate can all agree that their mistress was brought up properly. Never showing anger and not once lashing out at anyone for a simple or large mistake, many see her as a reserved and collective princess untainted from the upstart lifestyle it brings. Respecting everyone, she has gotten along with the most pampered, spoiled, and richest people in Shikoku by only offering her time. She’s duty-bound to her line and would have made the perfect ruler if not her brother.

Backstory:

Why are you interested in this game? I have just been dying to play a fantasy game. I love how much is already given, even a map, and would love to try a reskin on my favorite game.

Last edited by Bretel; Nov 15th, 2020 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Friendlier grammar.
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 09:17 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 55
Bretel
Ready to be reviewed.
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 08:48 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Okay, so I'm going to do some quick, broad-strokes reviews of applications that are listed as "Awaiting Review". If you don't see your name below, it's because there's nothing fundamentally wrong with your application. Oghain may still be in touch with you, but more in regards to improving your application rather than fixing errors.

Old Oct 27th, 2020, 12:39 AM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13940
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
Thanks Menzo!

I fixed some of the issues.

Last edited by Ysolde; Oct 27th, 2020 at 12:40 AM.
Closed Thread