... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old Nov 9th, 2020, 10:15 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10365
Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum
The Wandering And The Lost

-
The Wandering And The Lost

Theme & FlavourA group of Humanoids band together after their lair has been decimated but a group of Xenophobic Murderers. I want to run a semi-serious game looking at having monstrous races being the heroes against the oppressive races of Humans, Dwarves, Elves, and their like. But, I still want to have fun and not take ourselves too seriously.
The Hook
-
~Wanted~
  • Are you sick and tired of the pink races taking from you at the point of a sword?
  • Are you frustrated that all of your hard work is destroyed before it can be truly appreciated?
  • Are you angered that relics of your past have been stolen?
  • Have you had a family member slain at the hands of a Human, Dwarf, Elf, Gnome or Halfling in the name of "Justice"?
Yddraixl, The Viridescent is the answer!!!

Yddraixl is looking for any and all who are willing to join her cause to keep parts of the Ingeronto Forest from being overtaken by the Pink races. Color, size, talent, or age is not an issue (as long as you aren't pink). All are welcome. All one needs to bring is themself, and their hope for a future absent the machinations of the races that claim to rule the land.

Yddraixl is offering food, lodging, and a welcoming group who are willing to help you as long as you are willing to help. Come to the Ingeronto Forest, and await your new life.

Rumors of Yddraixl had made it far and wide throughout the land. All manner of creatures seemed to talk of her band. Those who were looked down upon by the "races of man" yet willing to take up swords against them, for their freedom. And their freedom they had gained, along with the Ingeronto Forest, and its surrounding area. There was talk of how the "races of man" feared her band of warriors. And yes, Yddraixl was female. A female Orc Warlord. But some say that she was more than that. With strength, skill, and magic of something more powerful Yddraixl's offer seemed too good to be true. But it was an offer that appealed to you. And you were willing to get to the Ingeronto Forest to accept it. And accepted you would be.

You were met soon upon entering the forest by a group of out-riders. They checked you for who you were, and what you brought to the forest, and to Yddraixl. But once you were deemed safe, and acceptable, a new world opened to you. Yddraixl's base was a ruined castle in the center of the forest. But while it might have been a set of ruins at one point, it had been reworked with underground passages, and overhead pathways to be a sprawling community. All contributed in their own unique way. Crafters created all manner of goods for the community. Weapons, armor, clothing, food, spell and crafting supplies were given out aplenty.

The rumors of Yddraixl, The Viridescent looked to be true. And the Orcess herself was a sight to behold. She stood with a presence of power and might. Yet she treated all as they were a child of value and station. Goblins and Kobolds were as likely to provide her counsel as a Tortle, Bugbear, Orc, or even Minotaur. And you now found yourself at home. But things weren't easy.

As the newest members of the community, you still had to prove yourself, and work your way up the pecking order. Yours were the lowliest of jobs: Night watch, latrine digging, game hunting, cooking. And there is where you find yourself now, with the others in your group, cleaning a new secret chamber within the dungeons of the ruins, getting it ready for items to be stored within. At least that was until you heard a rumble, and large crash, and found yourself trapped in the room, rubble and debris blocking your way out.

Application
  • Name:
  • Feel free to ask about others not listed.Race: Choose from Bugbear, Goblin, Half-Orc, Hobgoblin, Kenku, Kobold, Lisardfolk, Minotaur, Orc, & Tortle
  • Class:
  • Alignment: Remember... Monstrous races aren't all evil.
  • Mechanical Background:
  • Appearance:
  • Personality:
  • 7 Step Background

Step 1: Write 5 background and concept elements that you feel are important to your image of the character. One of these should include where they are from.
Step 2: List 2 goals; one should be your character's goal. The other should be a goal you have FOR your character. Survival shouldn't be it.
Step 3: List 2 secrets. One your character knows, one they do not.
Step 4: Describe 3 people that are tied to the character. Two should be friendly. One should be hostile.
Step 5: Describe 3 memories, mannerisms, or quirks that your character has.
Step 6: List your character's personality trait, bond, ideal, and flaw.
Step 7: List 2 things that make your character afraid and 2 things that give them hope.

Optional: Give me a sentence or two about the other applicants. How does your character feel about those characters? NOT how do you feel about another player!

Additional Information
  • Accepted Players: 4 to 5
  • Posting Rate: 1 per week. 2 if I'm feeling inspired.
  • Starting Level: 1st
  • Starting Gear: As outlined in PHB
  • Ability Scores: 27 Point Buy
  • Accepted Materials: All official, No homebrew. Check regarding Unearthed Arcana.
  • Application Deadline: November 29th, Midnight EST.

About MeI've been on RPGX for a bit over 9 years. I've played mostly 3.5 and Pathfinder and have recently made the swing into 5e these past two years. I've DMed a few games that have lasted a while, but I'm still hoping for some longevity on a game I'm DMing. This will be my first attempt at running a 5e game.

FAQ and NotesNotes:
- You will start with your gear on hand, and knowing the rest of the party members, after working with them over that past few days and weeks before adventure start. While there is a bit of a survival feel to the beginning of the adventure, there is still a mystery/social/who-done-it feel to a bit of it.

FAQ:

- Are we creating characters from PG 283 of the DMG? Monsters with classes.

No. The plan is to use the character options from here: https://www.dndbeyond.com/races. If you don't have access to the book listed where the race comes from, let me know and I can work with you on the details.

- Do you prefer the secrets to be public to the players or may they be secreted?

Player's choice. If it's something you only want me to know, then secret it. Otherwise feel free to let everyone else know.

- Can we provide more than one secret?

If you want to provide more than two secrets about your character, that is perfectly fine to do. Two was just my minimum expectation.

- How do you feel about the UA [insert option here]?

Notes:
  1. If in playing it, it starts to become broken, I might address the issue.
  2. If it gets reprinted in a source book, we'll go with the reprinted version (speculation is that PotBeast will be in Tasha's CoE).

Accepted List:
  • Path of the Beast barbarian
  • Circle of Wildfire
  • Ranger Revised

Denied List:
  • Nothing... yet.

Edit: Don't be surprised if I give approval to most UA options, but please still ask about them, just so I can do my own research for the game, and there might be that one that is so over powered that I'll say no right off the get go.

Applications
Applications
NamePlayerRaceClassStatus
Pilcro FogmawSpinradGoblinDruidCompleted
RhakkegkanlyHobgoblinArtificerCompleted
Bront WildboarSarge67OrcBarbarianCompleted
Smallpenbeast0LizardfolkDruidCompleted
WoppaSorryTortleClericWithdrawn
Baruuk TalonfacehafrogmanBugbearRangerCompleted
GristlePseudonymousKoboldBardCompleted
VrazzkBendo UgoGoblinMonkWithdrawn
The Ferocious BeastZangulMinitaurFighterIn Progress
Drixual Tiguana "Tigs"AlemarLizardfolkFighterCompleted
HaskiterNikolasKoboldWizardCompleted
Dirti SnowDrachenspiritKoboldSorcererCompleted
StinkWishkamonGoblinDruid (Spore)Completed
Ayaga tor-ZhanGrozugOrcBarbarianCompleted
G'toat RushThe Dark StarKoboldRogueCompleted
Harp StrumStrangemundKenkuRogueCompleted
Kaira IrontusklydkleinHalf-OrcMonkWithdrawn
NicothoeYsolde???Harpy???ClericCompleted... technically.
Daggonae "Dagg" BloodbaneReliq0770BugbearMonkCompleted
An'maljbearBugbearBarbarianCompleted
Renyra SwiftThunderArthilian01CentaurBarbarianCompleted
DaradukkMaestrosityOrcPaladinCompleted
Laban MaverickTalesTieflingWarlockCompleted

Last edited by Insacrum; Nov 29th, 2020 at 09:58 AM.
Old Nov 9th, 2020, 10:27 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3123
Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad
Happened to catch this on a fluke right after you posted - looks awesome! Posting interest and saving space for an application.

Pilcro Fogmaw :: Application :: COMPLETE
right-aligned image

Name: Pilcro Fogmaw
Race: Goblin
Class: Druid
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Background: Urchin

Appearance:
Personality: In a word? Odd. Pilcro has spent the vast majority of his still short life alone but for the company of the city's vermin. As such, even by goblin standards, his social skills are sub-par. Most any environment outside of dank subterranean tunnels are a wonder to the goblin, as are any sentient beings, so he spends much of his time in a state of detached awe. His comments are often airy non sequiturs and it's not often clear whether he's speaking to a particular individual, any of the rotating vermin companions he carries with him, or some unseen spirit. Very much echoing life and nature itself, the small goblin is by turns savage and innocent, comic and cruel, simple and sage, but always inscrutable.

7 Step Background

I :: Background (1) An orphaned urchin, overlooked in a devastating City Watch raid and left in the debris, Pilcro was just old enough to crawl away and managed to survive in the tunnels, sewers and streets of the city for years. (2) Pilcro discovered his druidic powers by accident, and while in the city, he used them to protect various vermin and fellow urchins. He thinks of the source of his power as The All or The Everything, but has no sense of a distinction between "nature" and "civilization." His control and understanding of his powers is entirely intuitive, often looking like madness to onlookers. (3) Has spent most of his life in isolation, save for the company of city animals, and a small handful of urchins and street folk who see him as a sort of shaman healer. After leaving the city and finding his way to Yddraixl, he's still seen as a bit odd, having no real understanding of goblin culture or customs. (4) Pilcro isn't really sure where he was born and doesn't really have a sense of location in the conventional sense. He knows the tunnels beneath a human city of some size as home. Though he does not know the pink name for it, nor where to find it on a map, he knows the old, forgotten ways and can always find his way home. (5) A rather vicious City Watch crackdown on so-called "squatters" in the poor districts and crypts of the city sent Pilcro a-wander, eventually falling in with a family of kobold refugees who spoke in awed reverence of the stories they'd heard about Yddraixl, The Viridescent. While he didn't particularly crave the security his traveling companions hoped for, Pilcro was incredibly interested to learn what a "half-orc warlord" was and so continued along. He befriended the family's niece and nephew, a pair of adventurers with whom he'd explore and scout the way.

II :: Goals Having lived all his life in isolation of some sort of other, much of it underground in cramped, dank tunnels, Pilcro was awestruck by the novelty of life above ground and on the road among those who didn't fear or hate him. For now, Pilcro is happily engrossed with all the parts of The Everything he's never seen before. He's little more than a child in some ways, and his primary focus is on satisfying his various curiosities. (As a player, Pilcro's inspiration came from an article on a specific style of play for a druid that intrigued me. I've not played a druid in a loooooong time and am interested in trying one out. For the character, I'd like to explore how things change him within the game.)

III :: Secrets Pilcro knows that the old ways and paths never really fade away; that the ghosts of ancient roads and doors still open to those who know how to speak to the land. He does not know that his deceased father was a renowned cartographer, famed for uncovering long-forgotten entrances into enemies' fortifications.

IV :: Connections
Kiva and Kelso Strubinns are sister and brother kobold adventurers, the niece and nephew of the kobold family Pilcro joined on the trek to Ingeronto. Kiva is a particularly resourceful thief, while Kelso is a sorcerer and loremonger. The pair and Pilcro were quickly put to work in the castle exploring upon arrival. They were separated when something caught Pilcro's attention and he wandered away, resurfacing a few weeks later.
Vutha, a lizardfolk hunter and butcher from whom he's saved his pet mouse and countless other rodent-kind.
V :: Memories, Mannerisms, Quirks
Memory: ...starving, throat parched. The wagon wheels on cobbles were long quiet; it was safe to come out into the moonlit alleys. A glint of blue from the cobbles. A marble! A cats eye petrified in blue and gold glass! It was so mesmerizing. As was the next one he spotted a block away. And the one after that and so on. The roost under the noble's heir's chambers didn't offer shelter for long, but they were perfect for as long as they did...

Mannerism: ...the goblin momentarily fussed at the enormous hat sitting low over the towering scarf hiding his green skin, his long nose, the wiry hair and pointed ears that seemed to draw such ire when he went Abovegrounds. He barely noticed it any longer, but the disguise, such as it was, had become second nature any time he left the caverns.

Quirk: Pilcro is endlessly fascinated by maps. By no discernible measure can it be said that he reads them or even understands them in any conventional sense. But he studies and traces the lines vigorously as if studying the most serious magical text. He will snatch found maps to look at them first and will go out of his way to beg, steal, or otherwise acquire maps. It doesn't matter how old they are, what language, or what area they are of - if it's a map of any sort, he will become fixated on it until he can study it for as long as he deems fit.
VI: Trait, Bond, Ideal, Flaw
Trait - I bluntly say what other people are hinting at or hiding. I also eat like a pig and have bad manners.
Bond - No one else should have to endure the hardships I've been through.
Ideal - Change. The low are lifted up, and the high and mighty are brought down. Change is the nature of things.
Flaw - It's not stealing if I need it more than someone else.
VII :: Hopes / Fears - Maps. Glass marbles / Cranium rats. Badges and insignias.

Last edited by Spinrad; Nov 18th, 2020 at 03:36 PM.
Old Nov 9th, 2020, 12:01 PM
Wayward Zephyr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4530
kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly
Application
Name: Rhakkeg
right-aligned image

Race: Hobgoblin
Class: Artificer
Background: Hermit
Appearance: The Hobgoblin standing before you is clad in heavy clothing covering almost the entirety of their slight body. Even their face is covered by a heavy leather mask crafted to look much like a featherless Kenku, though long luscious locks of chestnut brown hair spill from behind the mask and cascade down to their back. The only flesh exposed are their large pointed ears which are mottled with horrific acid scars. When they choose to remove their mask, it is revealed that the burns continue across their face and neck before disappearing below their collar. Also revealed are a pair of shrewd, calculating eyes that appear to miss very little with their cold, unblinking stare.
Personality: Rhakkeg is an extremely detached and analytical student of artifice. Study and further knowledge are the things that they desire most in the world and little else will hold their attention for long.

Last edited by kanly; Nov 19th, 2020 at 06:43 PM.
Old Nov 9th, 2020, 12:05 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 771
Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo
Sounds really fun. But you know you're gonna get a group full of goblins, right?
Old Nov 9th, 2020, 02:17 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7127
lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein
Interesting
Old Nov 9th, 2020, 02:53 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2165
Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67
It seemed like we needed a more serious warrior in the group... So I'm going with an Orc.

BrontName: Bront Wildboar
Race: Orc
Class: Barbarian
Alignment: CN
Mechanical Background: Outlander/Wanderer (Origin; Forester)

Appearance: Huge green skinned muscular Orc with a single ponytail in the back of his head. He wears several pelts to create a loincloth and hide boots. He wears a leather belt with numerous skulls attached and two weapon strings to attach the weapons to. Bront wears necklaces of teeth as well. The Orc's body is covered in scars and he often paints his scars in various warpaint designs.

right-aligned image

PersonalityPersonality:

Feelings towards OthersHmm, the Kobolds and Goblins are useful. They can wash my breeches on the weekends. Baruuk, Beast, and Twigs should be helpful. Those three know how to hold their own. The rest? Wasted potential. Physically strong. but chose the path of sweet rolls.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_m_half_orc_barbarian_duel_axe_wilderness_rough….jpg
Views:	450
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	88041  

Last edited by Sarge67; Nov 16th, 2020 at 09:32 PM. Reason: add information
Old Nov 9th, 2020, 04:41 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2257
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
SMALL
right-aligned image

Name: Small
Race: Lizardman
Class: Circle of the Moon Druid
Alignment: L/N
Background: Acolyte

Appearance: Small is a somewhat undersized lizardman from the great swamps of the South. He appears even smaller as he generally hunches into himself and tries to avoid notice.

Personality: Small is anxious and afraid of most risks, though he knows he must face risk to become bigger. He starts away if touched and shrinks if addressed directly. He is an avid student, seemingly desperate for knowledge and approval, though he never feels loved or appreciated. To this point in his life, he does not even dream of friendship or romance, seeing others only in terms of how they plan to use him for their own goals.

Last edited by penbeast0; Nov 14th, 2020 at 05:52 PM.
Old Nov 9th, 2020, 04:58 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge67 View Post
QUESTION; Are we creating characters from Pg 283 of the DMG? Monsters with classes.
No. The plan is to use the character options from here: https://www.dndbeyond.com/races. If you don't have access to the book listed where the race comes from, let me know and I can work with you on the details.
Old Nov 9th, 2020, 08:16 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein
@Insacrum, are you looking for a racially varied group? Or just the classes?

Last edited by lydklein; Nov 10th, 2020 at 05:07 AM.
Old Nov 10th, 2020, 12:31 AM
Wayward Zephyr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4530
kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly
@lydklein
I don't know about Insacrum's vision, but I think it would be cool to either have complete racial uniformity or no duplication whatsoever. My guess however is that they are mostly just looking for good characters or they would have been more specific in their original instructions. Of course, that is just my two coppers.
Old Nov 10th, 2020, 01:09 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Gotcha. I'm just curious. I like asking questions.
Old Nov 10th, 2020, 02:11 AM
Juvenile Delinquent

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 268
Sorry Sorry Sorry
I'm interested! Once or twice a week posting rate sounds perfect for me. I have more free time now, but that quickly changes month after month. Hopefully the pace would increase likelihood of my having time & effort to commit to a longer game.

Application, Sort-of-Complete
Character Bio
right-aligned image
Name: Woppa
Race: Tortle
Class: Cleric
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Mechanical Background: Outlander (Wanderer)
Appearance: Mottled, thick blue-grey skin form the better part of Woppa's six-foot form and six hundred-kilogram bulk, his hard grey-green shell accounting for about a third of that weight. Bushy, snow-white eyebrows sprout from his sunken brows, while a full beard adorns his otherwise receded and smooth chin. A number of scars decorate his form, and the calluses on Woppa's knuckles suggest his propensity for punching things. Understandably, the tortle doesn't set a brisk pace when he walks, often taking his sweet time to look at things and examine other points of interest. That doesn't mean Woppa cannot sprint when needed, but don't expect him to run the whole way for a marathon. Surely but slowly wins the day, after all; at least, that's what his dad used to say. Woppa doesn't smile much usually, but he gets incredibly more emotional, cheerful even, once he's had his morning pick-me-up.

Various ropes and belts hold together what little clothes and belongings he has, and the tortle walks on bare, clawed feet. Two large, hourglass-shaped clay bottles are strapped to his waistbelt, no doubt containing the tortle's favored refreshment. The twin half-moon blades of a greataxe peak from behind the tortle's head, its wood and leather handle lodged somehow in the shell on his back.

Personality: Woppa is not a morning person; especially not after a night of heavy drinking. If someone threw a rock or a glass at him, even if it was filled with his favorite liquid, don't expect him to catch it; that would only serve to make him mad. Once he has some stout in him, though, things get considerably better. Unless, of course, something riles him up; then Woppa turns into a veritable juggernaut of destruction. In slow motion.

Woppa likes the great outdoors, travelling the world in search of ancient ruins or lost temples. Wanderlust is deeply ingrained in his blood, despite the alcohol levels. Cities, though; cities are disgusting. The only place he would tolerate inside one is where he could get a refill. Thanks to the tortle's disappointing experience with humans, life has made Woppa to be a cautious judge of character; although he tends to suspect everyone of treachery until they have proven their trustworthiness. First impressions may be very well, but Woppa knew first impressions were mere shells that hid one's real nature. Besides, one's first impressions of Woppa would probably be that he's a mean drunk, and he's good for nothing but violence. The tortle hates that, because it rings true; he craves social intimacy and friendship, but his one thing he CAN be quick atquickness to ... figurativelyjump to anger and tortuous grudge-bearing make it difficult - if not impossible - to have.

Nonetheless, those who do see past the tortle's questionable predilections would observe his honor in battle; he might revel in his strength, but is never cruel. Woppa is capable of destruction with the lightest flick of the wrist, but is gentle to and protective of those he considers weak and unable to fight back. Woppa could very well assert dominance through force, but has no problems about latrine duty or any menial task. He has found a semblance of belonging in Yddraixl's motley crew, a sense of purose; somehow, that helps.

7 Step Background

Optional: Comrades in the Community

Last edited by Sorry; Nov 20th, 2020 at 12:10 AM.
Old Nov 10th, 2020, 09:42 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
@lydklein: In truth, I'm looking for a group of good writers. If that ends up with a group of all the same race, or a diverse group... so be it. Granted, my expectation would be for a racially diverse group. What are the chances of four to five good writers all wanting to play the same race.

Overall, I'm happy to see that other people are as interested in this game as I am in running it.
Old Nov 10th, 2020, 10:05 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Ok cool. Thanks. Also, do you prefer the secrets to be public to the players or may they be secreted?
Old Nov 10th, 2020, 11:06 AM
Epic Level Enchatment

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9289
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey
How do you feel about the UA Path of the Beast barbarian, Insacrum?

I took the Oath of Sangus