DnD5e The Wandering And The Lost - Page 7 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook
0 7 9 0
... raised for charity!
All donations matched (doubled) until Dec 20!
: +

Notices

Old Nov 20th, 2020, 01:44 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10131
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 09:41 AM
Great Wyrm
Outplay 2018  

Hall of Fame DM 2017

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14372
jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear
I have the priviledge of having Insacrum as a player in my campaign. I have been very careful to not take on any games as a player in a long time as life is busy and time is short and if I sign up it's for the long haul. But the campaign concept is so fun and the post rate of 1/week manageable, and if how Insacrum plays is any reflection of how Insacrum DMs, I believe this will be massively rich and enjoyable game. So, I will throw my hat into the ring and hope for the best.

Character Application
Details
left-aligned image
Name: An'mal
Race: Bugbear
Class: Barbarian
Alignment: Unaligned
Background: Entertainer
Appearance: Hair carefully combed, oiled and scented like his perfectly trimmed beard. Teeth freshly brushed, perfectly white, perfectly sharp and breath fresh from morning chewed mint. Eyes are soft and warm pools of deep oranges, browns and reds. Standing at nearly 8 feet tall, An'mal's body is trim and lithe from regular exercise. No tub on this bod. Lovingly made leather thongs surround his neck with polished teeth of some of the more interesting things An'mal has eaten. Immaculately dyed leather straps surround An'mal's wrist's nearly all the way up his muscular forearms. The bright blend of colours matches the painted leather sarong around his waist that modestly hides his privates (No need to show off). The red hair on his legs has been dyed blonde at the feet and darkened around his powerful calves so as to look like hairy flames wreathing his stride. This colour scheme matches the red tufts that grow down his back between his magnificent broad shoulders. An'mal is both simple and spectacular in the same breath. Nothing about his look is accidental. He's a rock star.
Personality: An'mal is the definition of chill. Nothing is a problem. 'She'll be right, mate' are words this bugbear lives by. There's a time to sleep (and godforbid anyone dare to disturb An'mal when it is time to sleep) and there's a time to shine. Life is a ballad and An'mal wants to learn all the lyrics and beat the crap out of it to some mad beats on what he calls his drum kit. If one isn't sleeping, then one should be adding to the life's music, making the world a cooler place to be, laughing with friends and family, eating deliciously made nutritional meals from the remains of the slain, singing and playing songs that demand you move to them, retelling epic stories that would make Hrughek and Ghrunkel proud, and looking good while doing it! An'mal loves sleeping and An'mal loves life! He sinks his teeth into both with a smile, though sometimes there is a sadness hidden beneath that smile which An'mal keeps to himself. And beneath that sadness there is a deep and violent rage that pray you never see ... but if you should, pray it is not directed towards you.

BackgroundKey Concept 1: An'mal comes from a loving family who fought to make a new life for themselves.An'mal was born to loving parents, Grohl and Jan Jhalpn, who wanted something different for their cubs. Tired of the relentless persecution of the Stubbards and Felfs that pushed their warband far from fertile pastures ripe with food where a bugbear could slay, feast and fork in the warm sunshine and snooze in the cool shade and restless beneath the rigid order of the hobgoblins who kept them camped in wetland ruins as they sought to rebuild a fragmented horde rife with infighting, Grohl and Jan gathered a few like minded individuals and fled to carve out a better place for themselves in a harsh world. Their gang ventured back to the edge of civilisation and made a home for themselves in a charming hamlet, previously know as Key Concept 2: An'mal's home was halfling hamlet in the hills on the edge of civilisation, redesigned by a clever hobgoblin and renamed GrahlstownHobbstone, where some very plump and tasty rodents had carved holes into the hills. The rodent homes proved far too small for the likes of Grohl and Jan's gang, but it wasn't long before they made Hobbstone a home, caving in the hillside rooves and building crude but sturdy structures over the top. Hobbstone was renamed Grahlstown. It was quiet. Food walked around in the fields nearby. The gardens were plentiful. The acoustics were great.

From the damp discomfort of rigid laws beneath the cruel iron hand of the warband, the Grahlstown Gang flourished in the sun. Key concept 3: An'mal's new life was built around music; everyone in the gang was part of making the music. It bound them together.This was a place a warband could just be a band. An'mal was only 11 winters old when he and his 3 siblings came to settle with his parents in Grahlstown. From shoddy sleep, bossy big mouths and constant conflict to days full of laughter and song, An'mal embraced his parent's vision of the world and threw himself into the music that the band made together. Jan just wanted to sing. Grohl loved nothing more than to beat out wild rhythm's for her on anything that would make noise. And they were not alone, Slaish, the rebellious hobgoblin who cared nothing for his kind's penchant for law and order, the prodigious mind behind the renovation of the Hobblet structures, was a talented hand with the lute, enhancing the sound with thrashing conjurations of his magical cantrips. Between Slaish's genius and the tinkering talent of the gang's one eyed goblin tracker, Raecharl, Grahlstown's auditorium was equipped with the most wonderful sound makers. And there was no distinction between adult and child in Grahlstown when it came to making music. Everyone played or sang or something that added to the music. An'mal's elder sisters (and identical twins), W'ggl and Shagg, crooned sweet racey harmonies to their mothers melodies. H'ndrek, his older brother would slam on the tinkling ivories built by Raecharl, an instrument the goblin fondly named the Kees. Key concept 4: An'mal learned the drums like his father. He played a goblin built drumkit made from different sized and sounding drums constructed from gruesome materials (skulls and the skin of the slain etc) An'mal himself followed in his father footsteps, beating out rhythms with his father on the drum kit, another of musical of invention crafted by Raecharl's clever hand, bringing together many drums of different sounds within a short space of each other, some raised to different heights and made of differnt materials such as the hollowed skulls of the slain. For a time An'mal was carefree and happy.

It was when the hills began to tremble that would spell doom for the happy life in Grahlstown. The gang thought nothing of it at first. But the strength of the trembles grew and one of the Hobblet homes collapsed in on itself burying Raecharl's two new borns and his wife alive. The music became one of mourning but things only got worse when the trembles broke the surface and a platoon of armed Stubbards emerged. Key Concept 5: Dwarves mining the area wiped out his gang ruthlessly, refusing to negotiate. An'mal watched the murders but did nothing, fleeing instead to save his own life.The Stubbards, clearly responsible for the trembles wrecking their home, destroying their peace and killing their people, would hear nothing of the gang's complaints. The Stubbards had found a vein of rich ore that run right through Grahlstown. Their reply to demands they mine elsewhere or at least far far below the surface was with steel and blood in the dead of night. An'mal watched his parents murdered before him. To his deep shame, he did not lift a finger. In fact, An'mal's mind was possessed for a moment by the dreaded Skiggaret. While his family, his gang, fought for their lives, An'mal fled like a coward. He survived but his deep sadness and shame would give seed to a deep rage within the young bugbear.

He returned to bury his loved ones and then An'mal left Grahlstown, still touched by Skiggaret's cowardice and fearing the Stubbards would return to finish the job they had begun. He took his father's drumkit with him and the heavy staff his father used to beat the big drum and began to wander, skirting around the edges where the wild met the civilised. An'mal swore Skiggaret would never touch him again. He moved through the night like Grangkhul's shadow, swearing the next time he found a place where a warband could be a band, surrounded by those he loved, he would make Hruggek proud. He would gather the severed heads of his foes and make the most maginificent drumkit the world had ever seen and make sweet music from their empty skulls. Some years later An'mal found himself deep in the ruins of a forest fortress, trying to forge a new home where he could be part of a band once more.

Character GoalsGoal 1: Avenge his family's murder, make his god Hruggek proud of him again and forgive him for allowing Skiggaret to make him such a coward
Goal 2: to find a new gang, likeminded folk who love music, who want to form not just a warband ... but a band!

SecretsSshh ... secret squirrel!

Character ConnectionsConnection 1: Khu'pa: Elderly orc merchant that An'mal saved from a lynching by an angry mob of pitchfork weilding Ewwmans after he left Grahlstown.
Connection 2: Aleese: Half orc merhcant in her late forties that An'mal saved from nefarious acts while her husband was being lynched.

An'mal travelled for several years with Khu'pa and Aleese as their caravan guard and general helping hand. Khu'pa taught An'mal how to use his staff with skill not just for beating out rhythms. It was thanks to the couple that An'mal found Yddraixal. Aleese saw a business opportunity supplying the camp and so they sought it out. Khu'pa and Aleese are the closest thing An'mal has to family now.

Memories and MannerismsMemory: An'mal and his siblings alongside Slaish's son, Morrello, had grand dreams of one day striking out into the world as a travelling band. They planned to emerge from their parents shadows and lead the music themselves. W'ggl and Shagg would dress them all up with bright, magnificent colours and paints, styling their hair and clothes. They would go deep into the valley where the acoustics were even more amazing than the Auditorium and sing and play for the stones. The branded themselves the Stone Rollers. An'mal remembers the conversations they had where they swore their music would bring the horde to them and they would raise up a city where laughter and light were the laws and music was the city's soul. Even the Stubbards, Felfs and Ewwmans would bow before their magnificence and accept their place in the world in peace.

Mannerism: An'mal is very meticulous about his appearance. He loathes filth and squalor. No wonder the Stubbards and Felfs think the races of the wilds are savages. There is no excuse for uncleanliness. It's just laziness! And if one is going to perform and bring music to the world, then one should be as colourful as their music. If you are going to light the world, begin with yourself!

Quirk: Getting a proper 12 hours of sleep is not laziness! A properly rested body is better prepared to face the rigors of the day. Bugbears have reputations as lazy sods because they sleep 12 hours and then wake up to lay about til it's time to sleep again. That is not An'mal's way. He squeezes every drop of life out of the other 12 hours! Now ... wake him before he has gotten his full 12 hours of sleep and you'll quickly see why bugbears have such fearsome reputations (if your head is still on your shoulders after waking them up that is).

Traits and BondsTrait 1: No matter how bad the situation gets I project a carefree 'she'll be right' aura.
Trait 2: Talking about family makes me tremendously sad so I change the subject to something light immediately.
Ideal: No more regrets: Life is an intricate song, lose yourself in the music, don't miss your opportunity cos' you only get one shot.
Bond: Make music with me and you are part of the band - any who threatens the band will have their heads added to the drum kit
Flaw: My sadness hides a deep shame. My shame hides a deep fear. I battle cowardice with a terrible rage.

Hopes and FearsHope 1: Music will unite the people of the wilds and we will build a maginficent city together
Hope 2: Yddraixal will embrace the music to bind us all into a band, recognise the genius of the drum kit and allow me to have my own space to build it and play it
Fear 1: I didn't bury everyone back at Grahlstown after the massacre; the unburied ghosts haunt my dreams
Fear 2: Siggaret still resides in my soul. He will take my soul again when my band most needs me and they will die, like my family died.

Initial Reactions to other Characters

Last edited by jbear; Nov 22nd, 2020 at 07:49 AM.
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 09:56 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10365
Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum
@jbear: Welcome to the application process. I can't wait to see what you come up with.
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 10:48 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2257
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 01:11 PM
Undead and Lovin' It

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2545
Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund
I have officially completed Harp Strum, excluding the optional section!

I'll try and do that during my downtime next week.

Characters: Thunder in the Morning - Harp Strum

Last edited by Strangemund; Nov 20th, 2020 at 01:12 PM.
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 09:20 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6625
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Centaur?

Last edited by Arthilian01; Nov 20th, 2020 at 09:20 PM.
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 04:08 PM
Man of Many Faces

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1791
The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 05:53 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum
@Arthilian01: I’m going to put centaur in the Triton column. I’m not saying no, but you’ll have to do a lot of convincing in you app for why something that looks like half a human on a horse is going to be tolerated within the camp.
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 07:00 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Half-horse, All Warrior:
right-aligned image

Name: Renyra SwiftThunder
Race: Centaur
Class: Barbarian (Berserker)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Mechanical Background: Soldier (Tribal Warrior)

Appearance: Renyra was born a strong centaur and remained so through her life. She has brown hair tied back in a two braids that come together into one thick braid. Her skin is tanned from spending time in the sun until her waist. Her equine lower half is covered in a velvety chocolate coat with a dark brown tail, she has short fetlocks that flow out around her somewhat large hooves. She prefers furs and hides as clothing, with a blanket that covers her back and haunches then drapes down her equine-like chest and stomach. Her upper-torso is covered by a leather harness that wraps around her breasts and shoulders with leather shoulderpads.

Personality: Renyra is a driven individual and somewhat battle-thirsty, especially against human settlements. She prefers actions over planning and thinking and likes a head-on attack to anything else. She is prone to violent fits of anger when fellow warriors want to sneak or ambush the enemy. Her fits usually consist of hoof stamping to start and escalate to moving and pushing around with her equine body. She is always trying to stay moving and doing something in order to keep her busy, she doesn't like to be idle for long.

7 Step Background:

Step 1:
-Renyra is from the rolling grasslands and the moderately dense forests of Yulinara, a perfect place for Centaurs to live given it's wide open spaces but not for the close proximity to a human settlement.
-Renyra's life-mate and children were attacked and killed by humans or that is what she can tell from the tracks she found where her family was currently staying. She partially blames herself for their deaths because she trusted the humans enough to go after this beast at the request of a human she hadn't known previously.
-There was a time when Renyra would help the humans in the nearby settlement against her Life-mate's advice. He felt that trusting them and opening up to them would taint their peace-loving people because he knew humans were fickle creatures.
-She was the only one in her tribe to 'train' herself with a weapon and while this set her apart from the others as they were very pacifistic, her tribe is the only others who she has felt fully comfortable around and accepted by.
-Drazzik had told her that she might not be accepted into the camp unless she had some way to prove she was against the pink-folk and therefore, brought three severed human heads and a string of twelve elf ears as an offering for Yddraixl. She doesn't normally collect trophies from her kills because normally, there is no point but this was a special circumstance. Renyra had ridden down a caravan with three guards and a wagon and took the heads. The string of elf ears, Drazzik was willing to give to her for fighting beside him for a while.

Step 2:
-Renyra wishes to avenge the loss of her family, revisiting her wrath tenfold on any humans she crosses paths with, and specifically hunting a human with a crescent-shaped scar on his face.
-I want Renyra to make peace with the spirits of her lost family and to quit blaming herself through a religious conduit of sorts, a wiseman/woman who will reassure her.

Step 3:
-The humans of the nearby settlement requested that she hunt a powerful and dangerous beast that was threatening their settlement in order to lure her away from her people. (Known)
-Her two children were taken captive by the humans and were tortured before being sent away to a larger city as slave labor. They yet live.(Unknown)

Step 4:
-Drazzik The Elf-slayer: Drazzik is an orc that is really good at killing elves and practices often. Renyra met this orc in her travels and told her of Yddraixl and her offer.
-Jeras Lightsky: A wandering centaur who ran with Renyra for a time. They parted ways when she found his hesitance to attack and kill humans too much.
-The Scarred Man: This man was new to the village and Renyra found it strange for this man to request a task of her but she thought she could trust him.

Step 5:
-Renyra remembers a time her family was altogether. Her two sons playing in the stream and her husband lounging in the grasses, writing and reading his poetry to her. It was a clear, sunny day and everything seemed right in the world.
-She has a hard time staying in one place for long unless she can convince herself that it will help her achieve her vengeance in the long run. She tends to sway left to right and hums softly when she is forced to stand still for more than five minutes, never truly realizing it until someone says something.
-She has a hard time following any kind of plan when it comes to attacking humans, letting her hatred get the better of her and rob her of her reasoning.

Step 6:
Personality Trait
-I face problems head-on. A simple, direct solution is the best path to success.
Ideal:
-Redemption. I let something very bad happen to those closest to me, someday I will avenge them.
Bond:
-I am the last of my tribe, and it is up to me to ensure they can reach the gods in peace.
Flaw:
-My hatred of my enemies is blind and unreasoning.

Step 7:
-Renyra's greatest fear is that she will be unable to find the human who deceived her and thus not avenge her family and tribe.
-Renyra fears restraints that would keep her from defending herself, mental or physical.
-Renyra makes vows to her family every morning, telling the spirits that she will find the Scarred Man if it kills her and she feels the spirits of her family are there to comfort her.
-Renyra knows that if she avenges her family and dies, that she will be with her family.

Last edited by Arthilian01; Nov 24th, 2020 at 08:13 PM.
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 08:27 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
Alrighty! I hope Renyra has given Yddraixl enough cause to let her into the camp. This is the first time that I have done a character application with the 7 step background, I hope I did alright.

Last edited by Arthilian01; Nov 22nd, 2020 at 09:24 AM.
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 07:15 PM
It's probably a joke.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4356
Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain
May I ask what seems like an utterly silly question, but is quite serious. Are the Grung an option that you would allow?

Last edited by Maskain; Nov 22nd, 2020 at 07:16 PM.
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 08:53 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Yes... just know that you’re on your own for the water issue... sometimes it’ll be easy to get that one hour bath, some times not so much. Create/destroy water is a wonderful spell to have on hand.
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 09:14 AM
gro-Zug

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8219
Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug
I have a question of okay not reallysurpassing urgency! How do you pronounce our warlady Yddraixl's name? I've gotten a general impression of its cadence from its similarity to Yggdrasil the world-tree, but is that 'x' an English 'ks' sound, or is it more like when another language uses 'x' to represent a 'sh' or hard 'h' sound?
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 09:41 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Mentally, I've been treating it with a "ks" sound... but since we aren't really speaking around a table, I have no problem is people go with "sh".
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 11:17 AM
Wayward Zephyr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4580
kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly
Just play a grung cleric with a collapsible leather tub and then make use of create water. It might look a bit silly, like an adult using a kiddie pool on a hot day, but it should work.
As for the "x", I had been thinking of it like a "z" as in xylophone. Ah the joy of the written word without a spoken reference. I suppose it won't make a huge difference unless someone is trying to write a poem about her.
Come on bards, show us your lyrics!

Last edited by kanly; Nov 23rd, 2020 at 11:24 AM.