... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old Nov 11th, 2020, 07:49 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6522
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Ninety Nine Souls

Game NameNinety Nine Souls
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemePirate adventures on the High Seas
FlavourFantasy, Pirates of the Caribbean, Sandbox-y
Plot Summary
Ninety Nine Souls:
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
The island of Tortuga, the port where everyone can find love, one of the greatest free ports left despite the dreaded East India Trading Company trying to spread their rule over the whole ocean. Another pirate captain is recruiting a crew with the promise of treasure, He has a map and he has a ship, one of the biggest you have seen in a long time. Captain Black is a smooth talker and he has all his teeth, he must be good at pirating. He sits back in a dark corner with a parchment on the table before him, a quill beside it, ready for signing. In fancy writing at the top of the parchment, it reads:

Ninety Nine Souls
The Lagoon of St. Hernandez!
A King's Ransom!

You may not be much for reading or writing but you know how much a King's Ransom is.. or at least you know that even split ninety nine ways, it's still more than you have ever seen and it's enough to make your wildest dreams comes true. You sign your name to the parchment and the mysterious captain nods his head to you, "We set sail at Dawn, the only vessel large enough to hold a hundred men. Don't be late." he says, his deep voice and perfectly-formed words seem almost as fancy as the writing on the parchment. You eagerly leave the smoky tavern and gather all your worldly possessions, Your nicked up cutlass and your banged up flintlock, all the shot you could afford and you rest up, ready for the dawn where you'll set out for the high seas and adventure like you've never had!

The next morning, you set out for the docks. Even the loosest boards feel solid as you imagine the sea that's going to be under your feet for the next few months... wait.. how far away was this Lagoon of St. Hernandez? Maybe you'll be at sea for a year! Imagine the adventure that you'll have in a year's time! Your first sight of the ship is enough to overwhelm your senses, The deck stretches from half the length of the dock and more than half it's length out into the water, That's probably as close as it can get to the beach too! The ship is huge and would surely hold a hundred people, That must be the one. The ship has three masts and lines running every which way, no wonder Captain Black needs ninety nine men to help sail it. You climb the gang plank and step aboard the massive ship and you feel the waves beneath rock it side to side gently. This is a ship you could call home for some time. Men were already hard at work, tossing lines and readying the ship for sailing, Your fellow crew members. You find your way below deck and toss your pack beneath one of the many hammocks, It wasn't hard to find one that was empty either. You hear the creak of the wood of the ship as the ship as the whole begins to move, pulling away from the dock and out into the open ocean. You rush to the deck and immediately feel the wind in your hair as the sails billow out as they roll down to catch the wind. High adventure on the open ocean makes your blood sing.

You turn to catch a glimpse of Captain Black, looking quite intrepid with the wind billowing slightly in the long, knee-length blood red coat that he wore. Then he turned on a heel and set a hand to the shoulder of a First Mate Sledge
left-aligned image
gnarled, scarred and grim-looking dwarf before retreating into the dark interior of the captain's cabin. The dwarf stepped forward and started barking orders at anyone and everyone nearby.

Details:
-Players: 3-7 players, I expect you'll group up or split up.
-Game system: We'll be using Fantasy 5e DnD.
-Equipment: Starting equipment per class plus background items plus 50 gp - 1d12 piercing - 10 lb - Ammunition - (range 40/120) - loading - two-handedMusket and 25 gp - 1d10 piercing - 3 lb. - Ammunition (range 30/90) - loadingPistol can be switched out for class-given range or martial weapons.
-Setting: A Fantasy parallel of the Caribbean islands and the surrounding Seven Seas.
-Stats: 27 point buy.
-Level: You'll start at level 1 and the end level is wherever the players take it.

Application:
Name: Lucky Ned or something pirate-y
Race/Origin: Where are you from? What people do you call your own?
Class:
Background:
Personality: You may make up your own traits, bonds, ideals and flaws or take from the PHB but it should be in paragraph form here with any further explanations.
Appearance: I would like a picture, it can be larger for your application to show detail but a smaller version needs to be used for all posts in-game. I can help find or resize pictures, just PM me.
Backstory: How did you wash up on the beach of Tortuga? At least a paragraph.
RP Sample: Your character's actions when they first arrive at the ship.

Username Character Class Race Status
Alemar Travis "Bones" Bonnehem Fighter Human WIP
Touketsu "Flintlock" Fargus Cutter Artificer Hobgoblin Complete
Wisp Maria Vela Bard Human Complete
BurittoVortex Diego Cervantes-Espinosa Rogue Human Complete
WildJessi Esmerelda Mendoza Rogue Human Complete
IrishKatt Zunis Wave-caller Warlock Triton Complete
Nade Coral Thorpe Fighter Human Complete
Rinninian Rora Thornshadow Sorceress Pixie WIP
Preacherwolf Captain Herman "Crazy" Ahab Druid Hill Dwarf Complete
In the Mix Sarah Starshine Rogue Half-elf Complete
Still_Pond Ely Dubois Ranger Human Complete
Daendil Sylvia the Wench Bard Human Complete
RossN Siobhan O'Shea Barbarian Human Complete
Menzo The Baron Fighter Warforged WIP

Last edited by Arthilian01; Nov 22nd, 2020 at 03:14 AM.
Old Nov 11th, 2020, 09:27 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1648
Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar
left-aligned image

Name: Travis "Bones" Bonnehem (Bonham)
Race/Origin: Human (Variant if allowed) / England
Class: Fighter

Personality: Travis is a bit of a quiet boy, not one to make waves. He believes that if he is able to remain unnoticed, then there is no limit to the possibilities of mischief to explore, or no amount of trouble that he couldn't slip out of. Despite his initially meek nature, he is a friendly boy, and tends to have a smile on his face; though that might be just another tactic to keep himself far from suspicion. A fan of the drink, a trait he no doubt got from his father, all bets are off when Travis has had a bit too much to drink, who knows what truths might spill from his gullet if given enough liquid encouragement? Lastly, Loyalty may be a concern, as commitment is a bit of a scary concept to one who craves the freedom of the open seas.

Backstory: Travis had long heard tales of the freedoms provided to the citizens of the Republic of Pirates; and after a relatively short stint in a respectable life, the young sailor decided that those freedoms seemed much more enticing than that which was provided by The King's Royal Navy. When in port one night, the young man took upon himself the opportunity to try and do something about it. Quietly slipping over the rail, and down into the waiting sea below, Travis swam as quickly as he could towards the awaiting shore. Reminding himself to do his best at avoiding the eyes of both his former ship's sentry, as well as any of those who might be watching from the harbor. As he swam, thoughts of the consequences of his actions, and of his Father flooded through his mind. His father... the man had been many things, a drunk, a womanizer, but he also was a sailor, and he had instilled in his son a love of the sea, and the ambiguous ethics of maritime plunder. "If we find it first, who's to say it's not ours by rights? and if someone was to try and take it back, that is piracy! We know how to deal with Pirates, don't we? Son?" Reaching the soft sands of the beach, Travis leapt to land. Running towards what he hoped would be his salvation, a safe passage away from regulations, and straight into the Heart of Darkness. After several weeks of bartering away his meager stipends, and having to trade with his abilities as a deckhand, the young Bonnehem finally arrived at his destination; Tortuga.

RP Sample: As Travis laid his feet upon the decks of his new vessel, a certain feeling of familiarity came over him. Most ships seemed similar on the surface, the usual rocking of the decks, the smells of pitch, and seawater, not to mention the parts of the ship, the bow, stern, and sails, that made the vessel able to flow through the waters as effortlessly as a bird on the clouds. Though this ship was peculiar, it seemed to have something else, something more about it, but he just could not put his mind on what exactly it was. For the first time, Travis felt nervous about his decision. Had he made a mistake? Leaving behind a career in a professional Navy, the chance to hang for desertion or worse? He knew it was a little late for those thoughts though. If he were indeed to hang, so be it... but when he did die, all Travis could do was hope for it to be as a rich man, many years from now! Looking along the railings of the ship, Travis assessed where he could be of most help, and quickly got to work with his new crewmates. He has signed on for a share of the rewards after all, so it may as well be time to get to earning those profits!

X-X-X-X
Sailor Background
Trait #1 I tend to pocket anything that might have value
Trait #2 I would rather make a new friend than meet a new enemy
Bond I owe everything to my mentor ~ a horrible person who's probably rotting in jail somewhere
Ideal I will do whatever it takes to become wealthy
Flaw I am too enamored with wine, ale, and other vices

Last edited by Alemar; Nov 18th, 2020 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Correcting typos and expanding story
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 12:06 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2165
Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67
I am respectfully withdrawing my application. 5th edition just isn't my thing. I recently found that out.

Last edited by Sarge67; Nov 18th, 2020 at 02:16 PM.
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 12:43 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4407
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Flintlock
left-aligned image

"Flintlock" Fargus Cutter
Hobgoblin ArtilleristArtificer
Background: Reflavor of Clan CrafterWarsmith

Personality:
Traits: I function extraordinarily well under pressure. I take great pride in hard day's work and a job well done.
Ideal: Real men live by their word. Once committed to a crew, I won't abandon them for anything.
Bond: I am who I am today because of my master. He taught me my craft, but he also taught me about strength of character.
Flaw: I surround myself with clutter, refusing to throw anything away. Hey... every master craftsman has a system, right?

While Fargus inherited the common racial trait of living by a personal code, the hobgoblin is otherwise something of a departure from normalcy. While large in form, he's actually somewhat agile and gangly as opposed to the muscular warlords of story books. Known by the nickname "Flintlock", the hobgoblin found his passion early on: blowing things up, putting them back together, and then blowing them up again. Always looking for new projects, those who know Fargus immediately note his honest and curious nature, though it would be a mistake to assume that these things also make him naive. Despite his simple and down to earth demeanor, the hobgoblin is deceptively intelligent, calculating, and always ready for action. His ability to remain calm in the face of chaos is what makes him so uniquely suited for life at sea, where anything, and everything, bad can happen if you aren't ready. While he can be friendly, Fargus does not easily trust anyone, and it is rare for him to put his life in the hands of others without contingencies. Still, he is a man of his word, and if he says he has your back, you can trust that he would sooner die than break that promise.
Tales of IntrigueOrigins:

Backstory:

RP Sample:

Last edited by Touketsu; Nov 14th, 2020 at 10:01 AM.
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 01:26 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 175
Wisp Wisp
This seems terribly fun, so I hope you don't mind me throwing my hat into the ring. I shall do my best to fill out the rest of the application, and edit as needed when I'm a bit better rested, tomorrow.

Maria Vela Application
right-aligned image
Name:
Maria Vela

Race:
Human(Variant if applicable) | Spain

Class:
Bard

Background:
Charlatan

Personality:
Trait One: Sarcasm and insults are my weapons of choice.
Trait Two: The best way to get me to do something is to tell me I can't do it.
Ideal: I'm loyal to my friends, not to any ideals, and everyone else can take a trip down the Styx for all I care.
Bond: Something important was taken from me, and I aim to take it back
Flaw: I have trouble keeping my true feelings hidden. My sharp tongue lands me in trouble.

Maria Vela is, in just a few words, stubborn, ill-tempered, and downright aggressive. Top that off with excessive amounts of sarcasm, insolence, and a general dislike of people and you get quite the thorny rose. If by some chance a person sticks around long enough to chip through the unseemly shell that is Maria's outward appearance you might find the pieces to a heart of gold. Though, even the good bits don't make up for her willingness to exploit and use others to further her own goals or get exactly what she wants, what sort of charlatan would she be otherwise? Not to mention, if someone stands in the way of her goals the only person they have to blame for how they end up is themselves, they were the ones naïve enough to actually think she cared for them or anything other than the information they had.

Last edited by Wisp; Nov 13th, 2020 at 03:17 PM.
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 06:59 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1822
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Super WIP placeholder. My mind saw pirates and went immediately to flirty bard. Probably because I'm a shameless chauvinist.

edit: just to clarify, is the PHB the only allowed sourcebook?
edit edit: variant humans allowed?

Last edited by Noquarter19; Nov 12th, 2020 at 07:49 AM.
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 10:28 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 56
Rinninian
I have this Pixie from an old short lived Privateer game

(Write up now on page 4)

Last edited by Rinninian; Nov 15th, 2020 at 04:49 PM.
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 10:55 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 222
Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren
Ok, a quick question for you then? When is the cut off for applications? I'm going to be too tied up to start a new game till just after Thanksgiving (Over time at work and Deer season the week of the holiday....still don't have wifi out at the hunting camp *doh*) but would love to be part of a pirate game. If we wouldn't be starting till after the holiday I could get an application in to try to secure a spot. If not that's cool too and I'll wish you all great luck and probably peek in to laugh at the shenanigans from time to time.

Beware: Gamers at play. Not responsible for any damages inflicted by wandering monsters, random encounters or my over active imagination!
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 03:40 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4195
Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade
Ooooo, definitely interested in this one.

Recruiting for: Baldur’s Gate: Descent to Avernus
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 03:45 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Rinninian: I can't abide pixies unless you can make a good story to make them end up in Tortuga.

Kepheren: it depends on player interest, really. Prolly cut off apps between thanksgiving and christmas.
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 05:56 PM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 49
BurritoVortex
Diego Cervantes-Espinosa

Name: Diego Cervantes-Espinosa
Race/Origin: Human/Morocco (Sephardi Jew)
Class: Rogue
Background: Outlander
Personality:
Trait One: I place no stock in wealthy or well-mannered folk. Money and manners won't save you from a raid of buccaneers Trait Two: I have a lesson for every situation, drawn from observing nature.Ideal: Change. Life is like the seasons, in constant change, and we must change with it.Bond: I will bring terrible wrath down on the Spanish, who drive my people to Morocco.Flaw: I remember every insult I've received and nurse a silent resentment toward anyone who's ever wronged me.

Backstory: As a Sephardic Jew, Diego was born in Cadiz on the southern coast of Spain. During the persecution and expulsion of the Sephardic Jews by the Spanish Crown, Diego fled to Morocco with his family as a small child. As the son of traveling peddlers, Diego travelled all throughout Morocco both on the back of a horse and on the deck of a ship. His life was fraught with danger in the Mediterranean, dodging both pirates and royal ships of the line from France, Spain, and Italy. As a boy and young adult, Diego excelled as a navigator and cartographer charting hundreds of voyages for his family mercantile business.

Unfortunately, Diego's family took a large risk by financing a shipment of indigo from Casablanca to Monaco consisting of several vessels. While the armada was south of Barcelona it was attacked by a Spanish flotilla with the crew summarily taken as slaves and the shipment confiscated as property of the Spanish Crown. With the loss of their shipment, Diego's family became in debt. As a result, all their assets were seized by creditors and most of his family was thrown into debtor's prison. Finding himself destitute, Diego worked for passage on a ship to the New World. Even in Morocco, Diego heard tales of the infamous pirates of the Caribbean who plundered Spanish Galleons, charted new lands in crystal blue waters, and who lived free from the rule of kings and sultans. With a heart full of excitement, Diego sets his sights westward with the hope of earning enough to pay his family debts and wreck havoc on the Spanish Crown.

RP Sample:
Smoking one of his few remaining cigarillos, Diego admires the three-masted frigate with a careful eye. "She must pull 10 knots with a good wind behind her." He thinks to himself, "Aye, she'll do. She'll do quite well indeed." Once getting permission to board his new vessel, Diego makes his way to the crew berthing and preps his bunk. "Next the galley, the most important places on a ship are where ya eat and where ya sleep." He laughs to no one in particular. After getting his bearings, Diego checks in with the Bosun and begins preparing his new home for sail.

Thanks for the opportunity! I just finished DMing a 6month pirate campaign so any chance to see it from a players perspective would be awesome. Best of luck and thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	portrait.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	88113  
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 06:17 PM
Wayward Zephyr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4530
kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly
Thinking of a crow for the crow's nest. What are your feelings on Kenku and Aarakocra?
Withdrawing from consideration.

Last edited by kanly; Nov 17th, 2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 06:28 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
Kanly: I think I would be okay with either Kenku or Aarakocra if they have a good backstory that puts them in Tortuga.
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 09:24 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 56
Rinninian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthilian01 View Post
Rinninian: I can't abide pixies unless you can make a good story to make them end up in Tortuga.
Can you tell me a little about how magic, other planes/worlds, and non-human races fits into your world? I'll see if I can come up with a reasonable explanation.

Last edited by Rinninian; Nov 12th, 2020 at 09:24 PM.
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 09:35 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
Rinninian: Magic works much the same as it would in any fantasy setting, arcane or divine power draw from an infinite or finite source.
Crossing planes and worlds has to occur at a place where summoning magic has been used before, Thin veils for lighter, good-ish planes and thicker for darker realms. Example: Darker magic or former connection to a realm aligned with evil similar to the Fog that moves people between their own realms and Ravenloft. Or perhaps former connection to a good-aligned realm or neutral aligned realm like the Feywild. Each place would grant access to other planes of the same alignment, essentially.
Non-humanoid races would have to likely come from other planes but Elves, Dwarves, Halflings and Gnomes would come from areas of their own perspective natural habitats.
Make up an area that would fit the Caribbean or the Seven Seas. An Island entirely inhabited by elven women where magic is commonplace, perfectly acceptable!