DnD5e Ninety Nine Souls - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook
0 7 9 0
... raised for charity!
All donations matched (doubled) until Dec 20!
: +

Notices

Old Nov 12th, 2020, 10:22 PM
Super-Hero

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1414
JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone
I'm thinking of an Artificer if allowed. Specifically I'm looking at artillerist. probably a gnome to play as the ships carpenter.
looking at the class features i wonder if its possible to have a musket or pistol that's been refurbished to "shoot" fire bolt, later adding other "spell" effects to it (like my cannon). essentially i want my gun to be my focus and refluff certain class features as additions to my gun.
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 10:42 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6625
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
JohnStone: I haven't done much looking into or playing with the Artificer class but just a once over, I see that you get the ability at lvl 5 to basically craft a focus for your spells that could easily be a pistol or musket.
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 10:54 PM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4407
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Sounds like my hobgoblin and John’s gnome will have a lot of overlap, ha ha.

Arthillian, I'm currently working up a backstory for Fargus, but I'm curious first how you would see hobgoblins fitting into your world? I think he probably was orphaned early on and trained under a master (likely a dwarf or a gnome), but it still helps to know if hobgoblin "tribes" are commonplace, or otherwise just typically found in other parts of the world, because it plays into his motivation a bit.

Last edited by Touketsu; Nov 12th, 2020 at 11:26 PM.
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 11:41 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 56
Rinninian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthilian01 View Post
Rinninian: Magic works much the same as it would in any fantasy setting, arcane or divine power draw from an infinite or finite source.
Crossing planes and worlds has to occur at a place where summoning magic has been used before, Thin veils for lighter, good-ish planes and thicker for darker realms. Example: Darker magic or former connection to a realm aligned with evil similar to the Fog that moves people between their own realms and Ravenloft. Or perhaps former connection to a good-aligned realm or neutral aligned realm like the Feywild. Each place would grant access to other planes of the same alignment, essentially.
Non-humanoid races would have to likely come from other planes but Elves, Dwarves, Halflings and Gnomes would come from areas of their own perspective natural habitats.
Make up an area that would fit the Caribbean or the Seven Seas. An Island entirely inhabited by elven women where magic is commonplace, perfectly acceptable!
Sounds good, thinking she could come from the Bermuda (Triangle) Area, and that could be a thin veil to other realms, and the Feywild mostly. And with someone they same backstory, hopped on a ship to see the greater world. Will mull it over and write down some specifics some time Saturday if not sooner.
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 12:18 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 958
WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi
Name: Esmeralda Mendoza
Race/Origin: Human/Columbia
Class: Rogue
Background: Sailor - Personality Traits: I work hard so that I can play hard when the work is done. Ideals: Freedom - The sea is freedom-the freedom to go anywhere and do anything. Bonds: Ruthless pirates murdered my captain and crew mates, plundered our ship, and left me to die. Vengeance will be mine. Flaws: Once I start drinking, it's hard for me to stop.

Personality: She used to be outgoing, friendly, and a bit gullible as well. After her ordeal, she became more reserved, becoming more guile and not so trustful of others. She seems friendly with everyone, but in reality, she trusts no one and keeps an eye on those that are keeping close to her. Whatever friends she makes, they can count on her.

Appearance: She stands at 5'9, medium figure, but perhaps a bit on the slim side and slightly busty. Her hair is dark and long, just past her shoulders, brown eyes and fairly fair skin. A blade at her left hip, a dagger sheathed at each thigh with a bow at her back. She wears a blouse top under her leather armor and leather breeches with knee high leather boots.
right-aligned image

Backstory: Esmeralda grew up with sea legs, her father a captain of a merchant ship. Many many times she and her mother would travel with her father and this time she traveled with her father again, only without her mother who was staying with her sister, Esmeralda's aunt, who was due to have a child. Esmeralda was 16, she was old enough to keep out of the way when necessary and help when needed, She loved the smell of the sea, the wind, everything. She even enjoyed being up in the crows nest, being the lookout. During the journey, a storm had come up, it been brewing bigger and bigger and the ship was in its path. Trying to out run it, they couldn't and the storm came upon them. A few days later, the ship was drifting along, the men was trying to repair when another ship came into view. However, it was a pirate ship and they had no choice but to prepared themselves since the ship was in no condition to sail. When the pirates pulled along side of them, they boarded the merchant ship and a battle issued. Esmeralda killed one but her sword was knocked out of her hands and she ran to the crows nest and began climbing, the yelling and screaming made her climb faster, but something struck her in the head and she fell, blacking out.

Waking up, she found herself in bed and naked. Gasping, she sat up quickly, she saw the pirate sitting at his desk. She pulled the covers to cover herself. He turned to face her with a smile. "Well beautiful, you're finally awake."

"What's going on?" she continue to hold the sheets to her body. "Where's my clothes?!"

He smiled, "Well, when you fell, you landed on the water barrel, you were soaking wet. So, I took them off for them to dry. A Very lovely body you have, soft, smooth, lean..."

She blushed with anger but also with fright. "What are you going to do with me?"

"You my dear, belong to me, I need a lover, someone to lay with at nights."

"I am NOT going to be your lover!"

"Actually my dear, you are, of your own choosing." he smiles at her, his smile a mile wide. She looked at him bewildered and bit frighten of his smile. "You see, I will give you a choice, you may stay and be my lover, or...you may leave and once you leave this room, the crew then take you and do with you as they pleased. Kill me, they do to you as they please, then kill you when they are done. So, the choice is yours."

"What about my ship?"

"Alas, I am afraid you are the only survivor, quite lucky." Looking shocked, she then burst into tears. "Oh come now, never seen a cook cry over a dead crew before."

"I am NOT a cook, the captain was my father."

"Ahh, for that I am sorry, but things do happen. You will have a much better life here." he smiled reassuringly, walking over and petting her head.

So, with no choice, she stayed with him and slept with him that night. Early the next morning, she crept out of bed, then took a dagger and turned around, her jaw dropped when she saw him grinning at her. he then sighs. "A pity, I am tired of games, since I can not trust you, you may join the crew. Tork!"
The door burst open and Esmeralda turned around, dagger still in her hand, the first mate looking at her, his sword drawn, 2 more crew members behind him. "Boys! She's all yours, she doesn't want me, but you instead."

She screamed as they took her, the captain laughing and after the first mate was done with her, another was ready to take his place, there was a sudden commotion. Humanoid creatures with green skin and gills, webbed feet and hands were boarding the ship. "Sahuagin!" someone yelled and the crew started fighting the creatures. Esmeralda quickly got up and tried to run but the first mate grabbed her and pushed her against one of the creatures. The pirates was winning and the creatures quickly decided to retreat, taking Esmeralda with them as they dived back in the water.

Struggling, she started to drown, unable to breath and as she began to fade, she sworn she saw elves approaching and the creature let her go and she began to sink but an elf came to her, she blacked out. Waking up, she found herself on a beach and she had a dress on, though it was a small size. She sat up and looked around. She had no idea where she was. She walked around the beach, seeing no one, and started walking inland and saw an establishment. When she got closer, people began looking at her. The women were shaking their heads and the men were smiling. Looking down, she saw the dress she had on was not only too small for her, but it was small enough to show a bit of her attributes.

Another man came out of a building and saw her and invited her in. Once she was fed, washed and dried, she was given some flimsy clothing. She found that she was on the island of Tortuga. She had no idea where that was, what was worse, she was forced to work as a serving girl and a whore. With no real law on the island, she had no choice in the matter. A couple of other girls helped her out, showing her how to survive, what to do, and how to steal and pickpocket the customers since the owner takes 90% of the girls' money.

A year later, after she turned 17, she came across a commotion and pirate called Captain Black, offering people to sail with him for a very large treasure. She wasn't keen on traveling with strangers, especially with a pirate after her past experience, but 99 other people was going, so it was either take a chance, get some much needed money and book a ship back home to her mother who probably thinks her daughter is dead along with her husband. Or, stay and continue to being a serving girl with low pay and whore herself to men, with also low pay. She decided to take a chance.
RP Sample: The past year, she had saved what she was paid and quickly bought the things she needed and went to the ship. WOW, it was huge! Then again, it had to be to hold over 100 men. Besides the people the Captain invited to the treasure hunt, he probably had a crew as well. Probably a large crew at that, she was sure not everyone that will take the offer knows how to sail.

When she got on the ship, she felt a familiarity. She just realized that it's been a whole year she she's been on a ship. It was all coming back to her now. She just wished...No, no sense in doing that, her father was dead and nothing she can do except find her way back home.

Last edited by WildJessi; Nov 13th, 2020 at 10:04 PM.
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 07:58 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 222
Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren
A question about Clerics then. Has the Catholic Church and the Protestant faiths that spawned from it have a monopoly on religion as they did in the mundane world? If not what pantheon would be acceptable for a pirating priest?

Beware: Gamers at play. Not responsible for any damages inflicted by wandering monsters, random encounters or my over active imagination!
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 09:55 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2200
Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepheren View Post
A question about Clerics then. Has the Catholic Church and the Protestant faiths that spawned from it have a monopoly on religion as they did in the mundane world? If not what pantheon would be acceptable for a pirating priest?
I don't know that they had a monopoly, there were regions where Druidism, Witchcraft, Animal worship, Voodoo, and the likes existed. Even in the East there was Buddhism, Daoism, Judaism, and Islam.
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 10:10 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
True, but in the Caribbean Druidism, Witchcraft, Voodoo, etc were heavily persecuted by the religious authorities of whatever colonial power held sway in a region. Before I try to create a cleric application would kind of like to know the options and what the local religious flavor is. For example the back ground would be really different if you were representing a religion to which there was some tolerance as opposed to one that had to practice in the shadows to avoid being lynched.

Beware: Gamers at play. Not responsible for any damages inflicted by wandering monsters, random encounters or my over active imagination!
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 10:22 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4407
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepheren View Post
True, but in the Caribbean Druidism, Witchcraft, Voodoo, etc were heavily persecuted by the religious authorities of whatever colonial power held sway in a region. Before I try to create a cleric application would kind of like to know the options and what the local religious flavor is. For example the back ground would be really different if you were representing a religion to which there was some tolerance as opposed to one that had to practice in the shadows to avoid being lynched.
You could always be a tempest cleric of Umberlee. She's essentially just Calypso, which is pretty on-theme, lol.
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 10:27 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
That is an option...if available. When my table top group is able to get together (i.e. in the days before covid) I was playing a priest of a pirate god in Pathfinder 1st ed. The GM is running us through the Mutiny on the Wormwood adventure path and it's a total blast so that is kind of where my motivation is coming from here.

Old Nov 13th, 2020, 10:47 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2200
Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67
Honestly play whatever cleric you want, remember this is a reflection but not exact copy. You could worship Gond (Gnome God, but big with merchants and travelers seeking gold). My wizard follows voodoo, though I changed the name to vooju.
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 04:34 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Touketsu: You can make hobgoblins however you see fit, right down to cultural norms. Maybe they dwell in a large jungle on a large island out in the middle of the ocean, more tribalistic. or however you want it to roll.

Everyone else: The catholic religion is likely the most widespread over the others and somewhat sees anything else as an abomination to their faith. The main Big Bad Guys, the East Indian Trading company has their own zeal aligned with the Catholic religion and therefore act as 'Crusaders' when they come across anything else.
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 09:50 PM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24596
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
What is your target post rate for this game? What is the deadline for applications; whenever you get enough, or did you have a start date in mind?

Old Nov 13th, 2020, 10:17 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
Still Pond: I would like to shoot for 1-2 GM posts a week which might make the imperative for players to post maybe 3 times a week.

Deadline is going to depend on player interest, as most of my campaigns go and I'll set a deadline when I reach a good number of variety of players and the applications begin to trickle to a stop.
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 01:11 AM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24596
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthilian01 View Post
Kepheren: it depends on player interest, really. Prolly cut off apps between thanksgiving and christmas.
Ah, I see you already answered that question, my bad. I'm mulling over character ideas.