twitter facebook

Notices

Old Nov 14th, 2020, 01:34 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 941
IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt
Would you allow the locathah race, and the deep fathom warlock that's being printed in Tasha's coming out?
I have a neat idea having him be a New Englander. Think Innsmouth from Lovecraft almost. Less sinister though.

Natural 20's:13
Natural 1's: 2

Last edited by IrishKatt; Nov 14th, 2020 at 01:40 AM.
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 06:43 AM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6472
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Still Pond: You're fine, Still! I'm glad to have you looking at my game favorably!
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 06:49 AM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
IrishKatt: My first take, It might be a bit of a pain to have to be submerged every 4 hours, especially if you end up far inland on a desert island for more than a day.
The warlock option might be okay but I'm going to need a decent backstory to explain it.
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 09:27 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Come level 6 I think it is I wont need to worry about it too much as you get the ability to breath air and water normally without any problems. That would take a while, but there are ways to keep it jive until then.

Last edited by IrishKatt; Nov 14th, 2020 at 09:27 AM.
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 09:34 AM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
IrishKatt: Write me a convincing backstory.
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 09:39 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
If it would make a stronger case I can always go with a triton, or sea elf. I just really like the Locathah race XD

Old Nov 14th, 2020, 09:44 AM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
IrishKatt: Do what you think would be the most fun and I'll give it fair consideration.
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 09:50 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 56
Rinninian
@Arthilian01

So does a Bermuda (Triagle) Origin work for a Pixie as a thin place between this world and the Feywild?
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 09:51 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Zunis Wave-Caller
aka "Ol'Fish-face"

Colourful Triton Warlock of the Deep

right-aligned image

Personality
Zunis is a very collected individual, but is also one who loves he call of adventure. Light hearted, and not afraid o stand up for what he believes in, he can seem a bit of a contradiction at times. He is a fast learner with a penchant to fall into old habits from back home. Good times are preferred, but good times doesn't necessarily mean "pleasant". Having hailed from a kingdom in the deep he is nott unfamiliar to the dangers the waves hide, and could even be called intrigued to find out more if those dangers above the waves.

Origin:
Somewhere between Hawaii and the Philippines near the small island of Guam, far below the surface of the water, sits the Mariana Trench, the birthplace of the tritons.

Background:
Noble
Zunis is a member of a certain caste within Triton society that is said to have a deeper connection with the waters. Though not of royal blood the clan is held to almost as high a standing being chancellor, and council for the royals, as well as soothesayers, oracles, and shaman for the people.

Backstory:

Noble, and mighty are the empires beneath the waves. Having been around since Atlantis plunged into the depths, and the continent of Mu was lost. The empires of the Merfolk, Sea Elves, Tritons, and other aquatic peoples thrived, unknown to the world above. Save for the rare sighting, and rum-soaked stories of course. Hundreds of years went on and some of the more civilized and curious of the sea-folk decided to begin fostering relationships between the surface and the deep. Venturing out for trade, and cultural exchange, things went better than expected for the sea-folk. It was only natural that the call of adventure on the seas would reach their ears, and even more so were their strengths atop the seas admired.
Far beneath the waves, and even esther still to the dark reaches of the deepest parts of this planet is a kingdom. A Queen rules over her people who love her and her King. Their many children adored for their differing virtues, but aside from the Royal family there is another the people love just as much.
The Speaker Caste were a unique family of Tritons gifted with a deep connection to the waters, and world around them, as if able to tell the will of the water. The Speakers were loved for their wisdom, and their compassion. The Queen and Pearl Mother (head of the Speaker Caste) were the closest of friends, and were oft times seen together as sisters. The Pearl Mothers children were all gifted, and each was responsible for the well being of the people in some way or another.
Zunis was no exception either. It was his responsibility to help lead people in their prayers to the deep. He was a go between for the voice of the deep so to speak. Day to day was very routine, and wasnt the most stimulating to Zunis. One day during a political delegation between the Tritons of the Deep, and a Sea Elf Kingdom to the East a thief broke in and stole an artifact from the temple while it was under the watchful eye of Zunis. The artifact in question in known as "The eye of the Sea" a large gem that was housed in the temples core as a means of communing with the deep during rituals. About the size of a cantaloupe.
Unfortunately for Zunis Tritons are a proud, and noble people, with a strong sense of honour. Because of the actions that day Zunis was sent on a mission to find, and, return the eye, or not to return at all.
Zunis made his way through many seas, and oceans in his years out away from home. Missing his people, weighed on him, but something pushes him on, a voice he hears calling to him, and his people. The voice of the Deep itself pushing him on, encouraging his searches, and so he listens like he has always known to do, and through doing so he has found a life of adventure. The world is huge, and he knows that if he listens to the deep he will eventually find what he seeks.
Tales are; on the winds and waves, that if it's treasure you're looking for, all things flow from Tortuga.

RP Sample

"All Hands!" Cried a voice over the frantic clanging of the ships bell as thunder roared above the vessel. Crew running to stations hurriedly while lightning split the heavens. A grisled man stands at the helm; his face angular and cisled as if sculpted from the porous coral reefs below, looks down over the situation.
The storm had come out of nowhere without warning, but these seas weren't known for being forgiving. He had already lost two men this voyage, one to a shark attack, and the other found himself at the business end of a pistol after a sour game of knuckle bones. He would be damned if this voyage took another of his crew from him. Cursing the sea he grips the wheel, and strains against the might of the waves. It seems like an eternity of fighting nature itself before he could make out some commotion on deck below him. Over the hiss of the rain against the oil lamps, and the rumble of thunder he could hear the call. "MAN OVERBOARD MAN OVERBOARD" the crew screamed as they maneuvered to try and get the crewmate a life line. The waves crashed against the ship tossing it around like a child tosses a toy. They could not save the man, and as the ship thrashed in the storm he fell below the undulating waves of the ocean.

It had been a couple days since Zunis had been to the surface, but he did miss it. The inky depths were cold, but comforting to the young triton, but the surface was so new and unknown to him. As he ascended the crushing pressures of the deep his body changed as it always did. His body began to shrink in a way, His limbs shortened, and his spine condenses, and his fins and musculature returned to the "normal" 5'4 frame he was inland. The surface now barely visible, as flashes of lightning, could be seen through its glassy ceiling. The muffled roar of thunder grew louder as he made his way closer and closer to the surface. It wasnt until he was a fair ways away from the ship that he saw the small grouping of sharks around the vessel. Smart animals to know to hang around ships during storms. Ever the opportunistic hunters they were it only took them a second to notice the body that got knocked under the waves before they set upon it.
Knowing full well the outcome of situations like this Zunis swam into action, propelling himself forward and reaching out to the animals looking for a good meal. As he got closer hes called out to them as a creature if the sea. Though he did not speak the sharks language he knew they would understand him, though whether they would listen remained to be seen. After a few brief moment, and a few choice words one of the sharks decided to leave, leaving the other to circle both Zunis and the body of the human tossed into the water. "Please friend leave this human, allow me to return him to his kind out if the waves, and we can hunt for a meal together" the shark leers at Zunis, eyes locked on him in hungry defiance. "We do not need to do this, but I will warn you, I am a speaker of the waves brother shark." As he speaks his long head fins begin to spread, and move almost rhythmically with the waves. " I am the voice of the water we call home, I am the breath that ebbs and flows with the tides, and you will leave this man to my charge." The shark circles a few more times before making a half hearted lunge at Zunis in aggravated resignation. The triton effortlessly pushes the beast out of the way as it moves on from this no longer easy prey.
"This is not your world human, and it is a dangerous one for your kind. Let's return you shall we?" He says to the unconscious man floating in the water before grabbing him and swimming quickly the rest of the way to the surface. Breaking the surface of the water is always an interesting experience what with the sounds, and light. As the broke the surface the storm continued its ocean assault. Waves were dying down, but not enough that anyone on a ship could relax. As he approached the ship he could hear the bell, and the barking of orders from the captain. It was a sound he had grown to admire, but this wasnt the time to relish in the thoughts it brought him. Tossing the man over his shoulder he made his way upon the ship, flipping the unconscious man onto the deck.
The crew was amazed to see their crewman back on board, but even more so to see the exotic blue, and purple skinned fish-folk before them. "Take care of your friend, he has taken in a lot of sea water. I'll help your crew in his stead to help you through the storm" The crewmen stared in abject awe until a voice cut the storm like the crack of a whip. "You heard-im you sea rats! Take Mr.Porter below deck, the rest of the, BACK TO WORK!" The captains voice commanded respect through its gruff raspy tones, and no sooner than the words left his mouth the crew was to their command. Two men brought Mr.Porter below deck, and Zunis got to work helping survive the storm that took them through the night.

Last edited by IrishKatt; Nov 15th, 2020 at 12:40 PM.
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 10:03 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4373
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Flintlock is done! If you happen to find the time, feedback is always appreciated.
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 10:21 AM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
I'm seeing some good applications and I'm getting anxious for this little adventure!

As of yet, I don't see anything to nitpick in my reviews so if I don't PM you then you're doing great!
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 04:57 PM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24494
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
Are there any limitations on source books? I keep finding interesting ideas in various supplements like Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes or Unearthed Arcana and others. I'm wildling down character ideas but one idea I like would be a ranger. Are you open to this skirmisher ranger variant?

Old Nov 14th, 2020, 06:38 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
Still Pond: I think I have seen that used before and I'm okay with it.
Old Nov 15th, 2020, 11:16 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4195
Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade
Coral Thorpe
Basic InfoName: Coral Thorpe
Age: Never ask a lady to divulge her age -- especially a lady pirate
Race/Origin: Human Drifter / Coral refuses to divulge her origins
Class: Fighter
Background: Urchin

I'm living in the shadow of a dream. The night is my world, and I will leave in my wake the legend of a woman who dared to defy the expectations of a world that refused to believe in me. I will leave behind those who defy me in a smouldering heap of ash and blood. This is my legacy, and this is my dream, now will you hear my tale?

AppearanceThe first time one lays their eyes on Coral, it would be very difficult to not be struck by the aura that pervades outwards from her. Windswept brown hair tumbles to her shoulders, blowing lightly in the ocean breeze. Her white dress is held to her slender waist by brown belt and golden buckle fashioned in the likeness of a roaring lion. Black leather boots come up to her thighs. Auburn eyes stare with an intensity that only accentuate her fiery, headstrong nature. It is this fiery nature that is emphasised yet further with the twin blades strapped to her waist. Tooth and Claw as she affectionately refers to them. In many ways Coral Thorpe is exactly who she appears to be, direct, loud and intense. Her dress simply reinforces that aspect of her personality in that there is very little that is subtle about her nature.

Except for one thing. A faint scar on her right cheek, running up and stopping short just underneath her eye. The tale behind this scar is one that Coral has never shared, no matter how hard she is pressed.

It is those eyes, and that smile that has, over the years, won the hearts of many admirer. Coral is certainly beautiful, and there are no shortage of suitors for her, and yet despite this she has never been seen to take a lover. Perhaps her brash, straightforward nature leaves little room for a significant other in her life, yet it is what it is and Coral herself does nothing to encourage or dissuade any rumours.

When Coral speaks, it only further strengthens that aura that literally radiates out of her. Loud, direct and sometimes crass, it is the voice of someone who is often the center of attention and in a lot of ways craves being that core that others have no choice but to gravitate towards. If one was being particularly cruel, they would likely comment or believe that Coral's grandiose appearance and affectations perhaps overcompensate somewhat to a deep-rooted insecurity or flaw inside of the woman. In a lot of ways, those detractors would be completely correct in that assertation.

PersonalityThe more you look at something, the more it stays the same. The more you look for something, the more you want it the further away it gets. Such is Coral's curse, and the source of her eternal frustration. From a young age, since surviving against all odds, she has not simply been happy with existing. No, the vivacious and driven woman has been determined to not just survive or exist, but to do something with her life. Having been drawn to the sea from a very early age, it is her life's ambition to make a name for herself in a male-dominated world as the greatest and most notorious female captain of her age. She would not just follow, but surpass the legend of famed Irish Captain Grace O'Malley. There is very little that Coral will not do to not just achieve, but surpass Grace's legend.

To say this is an ambition is perhaps something of an understatement in that ambition has long become obsession.

Coral is many many things. Tough talking, straight to the point, there are no airs or subtleties with her as she speaks her mind, quite often saying what others would fear to say. To her detriment sometimes, Coral is as blunt and straightforward as her withering putdowns of others who displease or otherwise annoy her. With her there is no dissembling, there is no subterfuge, no tactics. There is a) and there is b). There is black and there is white, there is no grey or in-between. Coral is the brave and fearless heroine who leads the front-line and allows her blade to bathe in the blood of her enemies. She is also your favourite drinking companion and your best friend as long as the rum is flowing. When the rum stops though and Coral is nursing the most hellish of hangovers.....then woe betide anyone who dares to approach her. Worse still for those who mistakenly believe that her behaviour is an invitation to sleep with her. Any man who would dare to lay a hand on her is wont to have those unwelcome digits removed, and many have over the course of years gone by.

Yes, Coral is sometimes overbearing. She can be loud and obnoxious, irritating and unsubtle. She is absolutely not the person you want with you when you are trying to sneak around or into or away from something. Yet she is also brave, fearless even. She is devoted to her crew and crewmembers, who are family to her in a way that her own never were. She is beautiful and in her own way she is caring. If you were to ever go into a fight or a battle, there is no one other than Coral who you would want there with you.

Yet there is more than that to Coral. There is more to the brash would-be Pirate Queen of Tortuga than would be apparent at first glance. Inside of her, underneath all the fierceness and the bluster, there is the frightened young girl who cowered in her bedroom, hoping against all hope that the monsters who lived in her house wouldn’t come to get her......wouldn’t look under the covers to see the trembling child lying there.

And that, really, is the heart of the matter. That is what this, all of this, is about. The fierce warrior with the heart of a lioness and the desire to become a Pirate Queen. When you strip it all back and lay it bare for the world to see, Coral Thorpe just wants to escape the shadow of a past that still scars her to this day.

One day, Coral will push things too far. She will take on one fight too many. One daring endeavour too far, and it will cost her her life. She knows this, and she knows that when it does inevitably happen and she does die, it will be with a smile on her face.

She will have proved him wrong.

BackgroundOnce, Coral was born a girl to a family who will remain nameless in a place that will also remain nameless. Coral is nothing if not tight-lipped about her past, yet it is not hard to discern that there is something terrible, truly terrible there that the strong-willed woman refuses to speak of to anyone. The past, it is her burden and hers alone. Yet there is one thing that is certain.

Coral Thorpe is not her true name.

It should be said that the streets of any city or town, let alone the place of her birth, were not safe for a teenager with no home and nowhere to turn to. Yet despite the odds stacked against her, Coral had what a lot of others in her position would not have had. Courage, resourcefulness and an inner stubbornness that would not allow herself to fade away into obscurity. Not now, not after she had been through so much and come so far. Lying down to die was simply inconceivable to the proud and stubborn girl.

She survived the first night. Then the first week, then the first month and finally, the first year. It wasn’t easy, and it wasn’t pleasant, but she made it somehow. And it was better than what she had known. It was in that time period that Coral heard stories of the flame-haired Grace O’Malley, and the wars she waged at sea against the English. The stories stirred a fire within Coral’s scarred heart, a small kindling at first that grew into a roaring inferno.

This was who she was, at least who she was meant to be. She would not just be a young ragdoll teenager wandering the streets aimlessly. She would do something with her life, and her legend would transcend that of even the famed Pirate Queen of Connacht.

Coral Thorpe stole away in the wine cellar of “The Fortune Hades” as it left port one morning. Naturally, it wasn’t long before the young stowaway was discovered. Originally, the crewmen of the Hades were all for throwing Coral overboard, however after she had bitten the finger off of the first man who had bitten her, the captain of the Hades, Captain Garvyn, amused at her temerity, decided to keep her about. And so the legend of the future would-be Pirate Queen of Tortuga began under somewhat auspicious circumstances.

Out there, at sea, Coral found an affinity and love of the wide ocean that she had never felt on land. Here, she was truly free in a way she had never known before. Her past was gone and only the here and now mattered. Coral found that the crew of the Hades cared not for a persons background and their past, here they were all equals and they were family. They became the family over time she had never known and the only family she cared for. And after a rocky start, the Hades accepted her as one of their own. Captain Garvyn saw Coral as his own good luck charm, and truly, it seemed that they were spared the worst excesses of Irish God of the SeaManannan Mac Lir. For ten years, Coral sailed with the crew of the Hades, yet in this, as all things, eventually luck ran out.

Yet it was not storms that saw the end of the Hades, or pirates even. It was a freak accident one night when a lantern fell near the kegs of rum on board the vessel. The resulting fire sank the vessel and killed most of the crew. And still, despite all this, Coral survived, though her fortunes would take a turn for the worse. She swam to shore adrift of Antigua and Barbados. For the next years of her life, having recovered from the injuries she had suffered, Coral hired herself out on one ship to another. Never really finding a home like she had on the Hades, Coral became something of a journeyman, going from ship to ship, crew to crew, job to job, aimless and directionless.

All the while running from the scars and shadows of the past that still held her tight in their grip.

And then, one day, fate brought her to Tortuga and a chance encounter that would finally allow her to maybe realise her dreams.

Ninety Nine Souls
The Lagoon of St. Hernandez!
A King's Ransom!

She didn’t need to read anymore. This was her chance. The moment she had waited years for. If they were successful, her name and her legend would be secured. With a kings ransom she could finally be the pirate queen of legend. Bards would sing tales of her legendary prowess and derring-do.

Coral Thorpe, the Queen of the Sea.

She signed her name.

Finally, she would have proved him wrong.

RP SampleWooden floorboards creaked under booted feet as Coral Thorpe slowly walked up the gangplank leading to the deck. There was a cool breeze in the air, one that, whilst not inherently cold, did provide a somewhat refreshing and invigorating feeling. As she lay her hand on the side of the ship, closing her eyes as she traced a line across it with her finger, she thought briefly about the morning and what she felt.

Coral opened her eyes, raising her eyes upwards as she casually flicked a lock of brown hair that was obscuring her view of the blue sky to one side.

Magical.

Yes, that was a good word for it. The morning was indeed magical.

It was the day before that she had signed up for the expedition without hesitation, putting her name down on Captain Black’s voyage of ninety nine souls, to plunder a king’s ransom.

”Carol Thorpe, Queen of the Sea,” she whispered to herself as she leaned on the side of the ship, gazing downwards into the sea below.

For the first time in her life....for the first time since the Hades had been taken from her in a cruel twist of fate, it no longer sounded like a fanciful dream.

”I.....I will prove you wrong,” her voice was faint, a whispered and almost ethereal thing, words that drifted away from her into the heavens as soon as she spoke them.

”I can be more than you ever imagined me to be.”

She had missed Captain Garvyn and the others ever since that fateful day that the Hades had died, and along with it her dream. Ever since that day ten long years ago, she had been rudderless, drifting from one odd job to another as she travelled from port town to port town in desperate search of....something. Anything really that she could cling on to. In truth she had not known what it was that she had searched for, only that she would know it as soon as she found it.

In a way, she had been like a ship without a captain.

The ship began to move. The sails unfurled downwards as the wind suddenly picked up. Below her the emerald green of the sea began to roil and churn as they set sail, and Tortuga began to move slowly but surely away from them. Coral closed her eyes as she felt the sea breeze blow through her hair. To her it was almost like the caress of a lover, and in some ways it was.

As soon as she came to Tortuga and she saw the advert, she had known that this was it. That this was what she had been looking for all these years.

The scarred and ugly dwarf began to bark out orders.

Coral raised her hand as she turned to face him.

“You don’t need to shout me what to do, I’m not some liver lilied land-lubber finding their sea legs.”

Turning, she reached out, grabbing one of the young deckhands by the ear. The youngster looked at her, face filled with terror as she scowled at him.

”Where exactly do you think you’re going? There’s no one on the nest. Get yourself up there, NOW.”

Cuffing him around the back of the head, she nodded to the grim-faced Sledge, then she turned to face the glimmering sea once more.

She smiled.

Recruiting for: Baldur’s Gate: Descent to Avernus

Last edited by Nade; Nov 15th, 2020 at 06:59 PM.
Old Nov 15th, 2020, 11:32 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 771
Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo
What sources are we permitted to use when making our characters?

Last edited by Menzo; Nov 15th, 2020 at 11:33 AM.