DnD5e The Mummy's Mask - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook
0 7 9 0
... raised for charity!
All donations matched (doubled) until Dec 20!
: +

Notices

Old Nov 18th, 2020, 04:35 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 653
Martyn Martyn Martyn Martyn Martyn Martyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose View Post
Application
Name: Ulfur, the Changed
Culture: Norse (Islandic)
Race: Human (Variant if allowed)
Background: Sailor or Solider (Trying to go for a Viking flavour here; merc vet could also fit here - I have no idea.)
Class: Paladin (Oath will be decided upon level 3 depending on character growth; currently thinking redemption or a re-flavouring of conquest to be closer to a crusader, but not quite. If those aren't allowed, then vengeance kind of works.)
Alignment: TN
Deity: Fenrir (Death/War/TN) (There is no change domain, but if there was, Fenrir would be that.)

Fenrir would be evil and so not allowed.
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 07:32 PM
Fox Lad

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 124
Ambrose Ambrose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn View Post
Fenrir would be evil and so not allowed.
Because you and I must have different interpretations of Fenrir, can I try to make an argument of why I think he is not evil? I know that the Prose Edda and D&D have differences in how certain entities are portrayed, and I would like to see if we can come to some sort of middle ground.

If not, that's 100% fair. Would you then, in this case, be willing for me to change my deity of worship? All I really want for my character is to have a deity that represents endings and beginnings, but there isn't really a good deity for that, that I can think of. Do you have any suggestions?
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 08:02 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose View Post
Because you and I must have different interpretations of Fenrir, can I try to make an argument of why I think he is not evil? I know that the Prose Edda and D&D have differences in how certain entities are portrayed, and I would like to see if we can come to some sort of middle ground.

If not, that's 100% fair. Would you then, in this case, be willing for me to change my deity of worship? All I really want for my character is to have a deity that represents endings and beginnings, but there isn't really a good deity for that, that I can think of. Do you have any suggestions?
What is your interpretation of Fenrir?
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 08:32 PM
Fox Lad

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 124
Ambrose Ambrose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn View Post
What is your interpretation of Fenrir?
In the Prose Edda, Fenrir was seen as evil by the Æsir before he was ever born. Once it was confirmed that this wolf was in fact the Son of Loki and was destined to kill and Eat Odin, they bound him. Instead of raising this Wolf right, they pushed their own fears onto him and bound him - not even letting him have a chance to prove them wrong. So he asked that he proved himself by having someone brave stick their hand in his mouth, and that he would be released after showing them he wasn't a monster. Once he proved that he was no threat, the Æsir still refused to acknowledge that he was not evil and kept him bound. So that's why he bit off Tyr's hand - they lied to him. He was destined to kill Odin because the other Æsir made him that way. So I don't see him as inherently evil, but as this maladjusted figure. He didn't have anyone that believed in him, expect maybe Tyr.

More metaphorically speaking, and away from him as a character, he represents the end of an era - much like Christianity's Four Horseman and the Trumpeter. He is a reminder that all things end, so that new things can begin. He is the one that will kill and eat Odin, while his sons devour the Sun and Moon, allowing something new to happen and takes it place. This is based on the fact that the Æsir represented the end of the Jotun, and that the Norse idea of the world had cycles. He is, by my interpretation, a metaphor for change. While change may be scary, it's inevitable - it is not evil.

Thank you for this opportunity and I hope this helps.

Tl;dr: Metaphorically, Fenrir is change - not destruction. Character wise, Fenrir is a case of cause destiny to happen despite trying to prevent it.
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 08:51 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6646
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Martyn did you get my PM?
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 09:09 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6625
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
@Martyn: How do you feel about a monastic order or monks dedicated to Nehebkau who use a serpent-like style of martial arts?
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 11:18 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
A Real Hero:
right-aligned image

Name: Athenais of Glypsos
Race: Human Grappler(Variant)
Class: Barbarian (Berserker)
Background: Folk Hero
Personality Traits:
-I judge people by their actions, not their words.
-Thinking is for other people. I prefer action.
Ideal:
-Sincerity. There’s no good in pretending to be something I’m not. (Neutral)
Bond:
- I protect those who cannot protect themselves.
Flaw:
-I have trouble trusting in my allies.

Personality: Athenais tends to let her emotions guide her or rather...her heart, she claims. She is honest to a fault and has trouble thinking before acting. She is loyal once she gets to know someone well enough but when she goes into battle the first few times with someone, she has trouble trusting their abilities and prefers to rely on herself. She doesn't judge people by words alone, her father always told her that 'Actions speak louder'. Off the battlefield, she is relaxed and jovial, always ready to have a good time.

Appearance: Athenais is tall as far as Greek women go and as far as Greek men in some cases, nearing six and half feet tall. She has a toned, athletic build with a curvaceous frame. Her dark brown hair is only tamed by a short braid that barely reaches past her collarbone. She wears a dark tunic that reaches to just above her knees and when in battle, she wears a leather harness that crosses her chest and has an attached scabbard for her xiphos and a scabbard for her javelins. She wears sandals that wrap up to halfway up her calf. She prefers little to no armor since it makes it harder to move. The scars on her right bicep are the only scars she lets people see from her first heroic deed. Her dark gray eyes always seem clear and focused with just a glimmer of cleverness. Her skin is tanned from spending a fair amount of time in the sun as a young girl and woman.

Backstory: Athenais' story begins with her father, a former soldier, Alcaeus. Alcaeus and his phalanx were separated from the others and found themselves behind enemy lines. When confronted, they fought as hard as they could, Alcaeus the strongest among them and came out the only survivor. When the battle had ended, Alcaeus was tired and had many small injuries from the battle. With little other choice, he was forced to find shelter and a place to hide which he found in an underwater passage to a cavern. In the night, Alcaeus was visited by a vision, or so he thought, of a beautiful young woman, clad as a soldier that washed and tended his many wounds and later tended to him. As he awoke the next day, vexed by his vision, he was made to believe it was more as he found his wounds bound and healed. As he found his way out of enemy territory and back to his army, he was greeted with victory. He returned home a hero and purchased a farmstead in the Glypsos valley where he tended sheep.

A year after building his home and life, A woman visited him and offered him an infant, claiming that it was his and although he did not recognize the woman, hooded and cloaked as she was but when she told Alcaeus her name was Athenais he understood. He accepted the child and raised her to be strong and loyal as he had always been. As Athenais grew, she became tall and strong, responsible and helpful to her father. She never shirked her chores or griped about the tasks he would give her. He never told her of her true origin though, for fear that she would reject him for the act.

One day, Alcaeus had taken a cart, loaded to the brim with sheep's wool for the market and left Athenais to tend the home. She did so proudly but while seeing the sheep to pasture, she lost a lamb and had to search for it. Just as she had found the little lamb, wandering in a gorge, she was nearly brought down by a hungry lion, scarred from a long life. She managed to use her crook to scare the beast away and save the poor lamb. When her father returned home, she told him all about the lamb and the lion. Alcaeus and Athenais went to the nearby city together and spoke to the elder about the lion and if he could remove it. Unfortunately, the elder claimed that he had already sent five men to their death after the same lion and that no man could kill it. Sullen and dejected, the two returned home. Alcaeus had have a mind to hunt down this lion himself but knew it to be suicide and he feared leaving his daughter might anger her mother and it would not do well to anger a goddess. Athenais had the same plan but in her mind, the elder had said that no man could kill the lion and therefore, perhaps a woman could.

When next she took the sheep to pasture, she secreted away her father's old xiphos wrapped in an old tunic. Once the flock of sheep were safe in small basin, she revisited the gorge where she had found the lost lamb with xiphos in hand. Unfortunately, she didn't find the lion, rather, the lion found her. In three swipes of it's mighty claws, she lost her father's sword and the lion saw it's chance, leaping upon the awkward and unbalanced teenager. As Athenais felt like her life was about to end, the lion's toothy maw poised above her face and coming closer, the young girl was filled with a might, a blessing from the Gods, a thought that filled her with bravery. As the strength of her limbs returned, she reached straight for that toothy maw and clutched the lion's muzzle with a strength unknown to her. As she found her footing once more, she was able to lift the lion bodily as she rose. Her hands wrapped into the lion's mane and around it's muscular throat as it wrapped it's claws around her back and began to rake at her unprotected back desperately, shredding her tunic and flesh. She shifted her stance and pulled the lion into a hug, her strength held and she squeezed with all the might she could muster until the lion fell limp in her grasp. Bloody and tired, she returned to the flock with her trophy and returned home.

In the morning, her father found her in bed, sheets soaked with her own blood and a dead lion laying atop her. She woke and retold her story, despite the lost xiphos, her father praised her and told her that he knew she was destined for great things, the farm and flock were safe. When Alcaeus returned to the city with wool to trade, he brought the lion's pelt and his daughter along. The elder praised Athenais as a hero and saw that she was assigned a proper trainer so that she could continue to protect the lands all around the city. When the elder heard that The Necropolis was being opened and explored, he immediately sent for Athenais and gave her the duty of representing their fine city among the other adventurers.

Last edited by Arthilian01; Nov 21st, 2020 at 11:16 AM.
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 01:13 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 941
IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt
do you consider Goliaths to be Monstrous?

Natural 20's:13
Natural 1's: 2
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 03:40 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredSyn View Post
Martyn did you get my PM?
Missed it... will read it now.

Last edited by Martyn; Nov 19th, 2020 at 03:43 AM.
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 03:45 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishKatt View Post
do you consider Goliaths to be Monstrous?
Goliath's are acceptable... however they would be from the north and not native to Osirion.
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 06:38 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 474
Bjorgulf Bjorgulf Bjorgulf Bjorgulf Bjorgulf
Hi @Martyn, several questions:

1. What source material is allowed? I'm envisioning a Circle of Stars druid, inspired by the Northern Lights, pledged to the god Heimdallr - the subclass just got released with Tasha's.
My second concept would be a Genie Warlock - yet again, based off Tasha's. He would fit the Osirion setting.

2. Would the god Hod be suitable for a sneaky Arcane Trickster Rogue? My first pick would be Loki but he's evil...

3. What is the expected post frequency, per week and / or weekends?

Thanks!

Last edited by Bjorgulf; Nov 19th, 2020 at 06:45 AM.
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 11:36 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 88
justsujoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsujoy View Post
I presume this is a simple - see bad guy, hit bad guy, collect reward - game.

Dibs on Gnome Wizard.

Happy go Lucky

right-aligned image

Name: - Tymlimb (Tym) Rufenscheffen

Race: - Gnome - Forest Gnome

Class: - Wizard

Background: - When a Wizard sees Tymlimb, the first thing they remark on is how did such a mercurial character every manage to learn magic? The truth is, under a normal teacher Tymlimb would have been thrown out long before he managed to cast a single spell. Aramarz was not a normal teacher.

There were very few of the old wizards who had not heard of Aramarz the Elf, one of the most powerful Mages of an age gone by. What they didn't know that, after two centuries or adventuring, Aramarz had retired to the middle of a huge forest to spend the rest of his days in meditation and study.

That is where Tymlimb had found him. A gnome child whose curiosity had overcome the warnings of his elders and whose innate magical powers were begining to blossom. So much so that he had stumbled through the charms and illusions that Wizard Aramarz had placed around his home and into the lap of the meditating elf. The elf promptly shooed away the gnome child, hardly larger than a human toddler and changed his charms and mind-tricks.

What Tymlimb lacked in focus, he more than made up in determination. His curiosity had been awakened by the sight of the elderly elf, a rarity amongst outsiders, which led him to stumble around the area for a few more days before managing to penetrate the illusions again. Aramarz was at a loss on how to deal with the little gnome. So after the fourth time that he failed to drive away the little annoyance, Aramarz finally gave in to the whims of fate and took little Tym as his apprentice.

The fun part is that all the elderly elf had to do was give Tymlimb a book to read and he would have been rid of the little pest. But Aramarz loved magic and he was more than happy to answer Tymlimb's questions and explain complicated concepts to him in a simple, funny and playful way. Tymlimb drank in all the knowledge like a dry sponge, his curiosity for the first time meeting an ocean of knowledge.

Years went by till one day Aramarz could no longer teach his young apprentice. It was not that Tymlimb had learnt everything, far from it, he had a lot to learn but without practical experience, he would not be able to grasp the value of things he learnt. So, Aramarz sent him off on a quest to bring back an ancient scroll from the Crypts of Wati with the hope that the journey would teach him more than the destination.

left-aligned image

Personality: - Even at 30, Tymlimb is like a child. He is curious, energetic and inquisitive. He loves jokes and pranks and like to receive as good as he gives. Beneath the fun loving exterior, he is however, quite intelligent and observant. Unlike other Wizards, he is not subtle and quick to laughter.

Last edited by justsujoy; Nov 24th, 2020 at 05:50 AM.
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 03:15 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 494
RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN
Cool sounding setting.

Given the Ancient Egyptian style are there any technological issues we should consider (ie. no rapiers, crossbows or full plate armour)?
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 05:11 PM
Duke of Chanwood

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1869
Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor
Isidore
right-aligned image
Name: Isidore

Race: V. Human

Class: Rogue

Personality: Isidore is fierce and passionate in defense of himself, his tribe, and his honor. He embraces life with the fervor of one who has faced death often, and has little to lose with everything to gain. He's young and proud, boastful and gregarious, though he does have moments of serious reflection. There are very few half-measures with Isidore; you are either a brother or an enemy, a hero or a coward, a warrior-poet or a dullard.

Appearance: Somewhat small and dusky, he stands 5'7" on a wiry frame, a deep tan from the desert sun burned into his skin. He wears the traditional desert wraps of his people, clad in bright colors he keeps as clean and flashy as possible. He wears a khopesh and a dagger at his hip, with a shortbow slung over his shoulder.

Background: Outlander

Personality Traits: I watch over my friends as if they were a litter of newborn pups.

Ideal: Greater Good. It is each person's responsibility to make the most happiness for the whole tribe.

Bond: My family, clan, or tribe is the most important thing in my life, even when they are far from me.

Flaw: I remember every insult I've received and nurse a silent resentment toward anyone who's ever wronged me.

Background: Isidore comes from one of the Badawi desert tribes from the Katapesh region. Life in the desert was hard, and Isidore grew up learning to travel and survive. Eventually he made his way north past the Brazen Peaks and headed to the Valley of the Pyramids. There, he learned the skills of entering and exploring ancient ruins, seeking treasures to sell for the benefit of his tribe.

He traveled further, seeking greater challenges and greater treasures, hoping to be able to provide for his family, as well as bring fame and honor to his people.

Luinil Alqualond - Wood Elf Ranger, Desert of Desolation
Berilac "Berry" Fairbairn - Halfling Ranger, Priestess
Morgran Ungart - Mountain Dwarf Fighter, Dungeon Dive

Last edited by Andor; Nov 20th, 2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 09:42 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
My application is done, thank you for the consideration.