Other EARTHDAWN: Playing the Possibilities: Delving the Depths. - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Dec 11th, 2017, 12:11 AM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6559
Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald
EARTHDAWN: Playing the Possibilities: Delving the Depths.

Game NameEARTHDAWN: The Opening of Kaer Darrow
Game SystemEarthdawn 4th Edition
ThemeExploration
FlavourLittle Fish in a BIG pond, PCs have just emerged from a kaer that has been sealed from the outside world for 500 years, only to find out that the Scourge ended 100 years earlier than expected!
Welcome to Earthdawn
Like the tides of the ocean, magic rises and falls, though the cycle takes thousands of years. At its lowest point, magic was the stuff of myths and legends, thought to not exist, its practitioners barely able to touch the source. At its highest, the greatest wizards of the lands would have been able to create miracles that even the effectively the gods of the gamePassions themselves would have feared. At least, if the rise of magic did not also mean the coming of the Horrors.

As the level of magic rose, the veil between actually set on Earth, thousands of years in the past.our world and their world grew thin. They were coming, and they were going to kill every living thing in the most horrific ways imaginable, unless the Dwarves, Elves, Humans, Orks, Trolls, T'Skrang, Windlings, Obsidimen, and dragonsNamegivers, could hide from them. They were the Horrors, denizens of the darkest and most hidden pits of the Astral plane. Some of these abominations were weak and mindless, concerned only with eating anything they could catch, others were cunning, powerful, cruel, and patient.

The story so far.The group of Adepts, dubbed the Elements of Kaer Darrow, have left the kaer and escaped a harrowing situation of Horror-tainted creatures that lurked just outside of the sealed entrance to the kaer. They slew the lot of them, and eager to see the sun for the first time, headed for the entrance to behold the glory of the open sky, cold mountain winds, and bright, colorful scenery about them.

They've traveled for a few days through the forest at the foot of the mountain range, and have just now made contact with a village of Namegivers who are living openly. The Scourge appears to truly be over, but something in the village is very, very wrong.

The group has discovered the influence of a Horror, taking children and mutating them into terrible little freaks. They managed to save two children, though one seems too far gone already. They need to make a choice, now. Help the collection of hamlets complete, or leave them to their fate and continue on their original mission to the trade city of Travar.
Now recruitingAs is normal in the world of play by post, lift gets in the way and people are forced to leave their hobbies behind. As such, I am looking to replace 4 players who have left the game.

The remaining player characters are:
Windling Scout
Human Wizard
T'skrang Swordmaster
Elf Elementalist

But don't let the current setup discourage you from making another Scout, Swordmaster, Wizard, or Elementalist! Doubling up is perfectly fine, as I welcome all creative roleplayers to my table!

DEADLINE: September 12th.

Last edited by Karhald; Aug 24th, 2020 at 04:19 AM.
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 02:52 AM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald
PlayerCharacterRaceDisciplineStatus
SlimcreeperFavu CabenwaldHumanWizardCurrent Player
Ericg1sJo'SefT'skrangSwordmasterCurrent Player
ottdmkAkton BrakebillWindlingScoutCurrent Player
gwythionAesindiraElfElementalistCurrent Player

PlayerCharacterRaceDisciplineStatus
Bonhumm Fanfan Elf Swordmaster Application Complete
ender3d Tharkul Ork Warrior Application Complete
Utsukushi Khara Venge Dwarf Nethermancer Application complete
Cap Ut Steinthor Obsidiman Warrior Application WIP (waiting on backstory)
superstrength79TresalamisT'SkrangNethermancerApplication Complete
Everything CountsMarleHumanArcherApplication WIP (Waiting on RP sample)
Cronofuego13posted interest   

Q&A post
"What's the starting money and Legend Points?" Standard starting cash +500 silver, 5000 Legend Points. 2nd circle training fees are waived, but 3rd circle training needs to be paid for. Any skill or attribute training also needs to be budgeted.

"Will you have Thread Items?" Absolutely! The party already has one! There is also a group pattern already made, and you can take a blood oath, get in, and start tying threads to the group!

Applications accepted untilSeptember 12th

Now I have the unenviable job of picking the best three applications of 6 very good ones. It's a job that I hate to do, but it's a necessary one.

Last edited by Karhald; Sep 13th, 2020 at 11:51 PM.
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 03:32 AM
Official RPGX dinosaur!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7525
Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis
Seems cool, I'll have to research the system a bit before I make an application though, I'll get back to ya.

I'm operating normally!
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 07:43 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2775
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
I would love to play this game. I own the core rule book.
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 07:01 PM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirviantis View Post
Seems cool, I'll have to research the system a bit before I make an application though, I'll get back to ya.
There's a free beginners guide available from the FASA store, just 'order' the free ebook, and proceed to checkout. I have a link embedded in my advertisement post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericg1s View Post
I would love to play this game. I own the core rule book.
Fantastic! What edition core book do you have? I'll be running according to the 4th edition that came out recently. It's a LOT smoother, though the step system is still going to be problematic in a PbP format, hence the playtesting phase, rather than just shouting "EARTHDAWN campaign!" First edition materials are all good to go as well, with minimal conversions, the editions flow together pretty well.
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 07:26 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2775
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
I don't know which edition it is; it's not clearly marked with an edition.
I will play whichever version you want. Let me know which pre-generated characters you have, and I will be willing to use one which no one else is using simply to fill the role.
I agree that open-ended dice could pose a problem in PBP. The best way to handle this might be to roll the dice, then edit the post and add a line for any dice explosions which occur, leaving the first roll unchanged.
I will test this to see if it works
Dice Roll:
3d4 2, 1, 3 Total = 6
sample first roll

No explosion occurred.

Last edited by Ericg1s; Dec 11th, 2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 08:40 PM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
Nevermind this, we've solved the issue with clever use of forum dice codes and a little house-rule.

Last edited by Karhald; Aug 24th, 2020 at 04:22 AM.
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 05:19 AM
Official RPGX dinosaur!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7525
Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis
Does earthdawn have a free online version somewhere? I understand that supporting the creators is important but outside of RPGcrossing I don't do much tabletop RPGing and since the system doesn't really lend itself very well to pbp there's a very large chance I'll never use it outside of this one. I just don't want to spend money on something I'll scarcely use...

I'm operating normally!
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 03:31 PM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirviantis View Post
Does earthdawn have a free online version somewhere? I understand that supporting the creators is important but outside of RPGcrossing I don't do much tabletop RPGing and since the system doesn't really lend itself very well to pbp there's a very large chance I'll never use it outside of this one. I just don't want to spend money on something I'll scarcely use...
You can get the free players starter guide from the FASA website store. It's free.

Download the Quick Start Guide here

Also, once I have a game forum, I'll be making rules threads, I've got a lot of down-time at work as the holiday season draws near, so it'll be one of my pet projects.

Last edited by Karhald; Dec 12th, 2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old Dec 14th, 2017, 03:16 AM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
Testing out some character sheet formats, can make them compact with tables, but unless you’re familiar with those tags, they can get pretty messy.

DEX: 17 (7)
STR: 15 (6)
TOU: 11 (5)
PER: 13 (6)
WIL: 11 (5)
CHA: 13 (6)

AttributeValueStepAttributeValueStep
Dexterity177Perception136
Strength156Willpower115
Toughness115Charisma136
Old Dec 16th, 2017, 11:36 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 623
Slimcreeper Slimcreeper Slimcreeper Slimcreeper Slimcreeper Slimcreeper
Interested

I'm interested! I'm the same Slimcreeper as is active on the FASAgames forums and familiar with the rules.

Old Dec 16th, 2017, 02:43 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 959
Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard
Posting Interest!

Would be interested in playing Ork Beastmaster or T’Skrang Swordmaster.

I do not strike with my hand; he who strikes with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. I strike with my mind...I do not kill with my sword; he who kills with his sword has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart.
Old Dec 17th, 2017, 11:02 PM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
Great to see some interest!

I'll be posting up some basic combat rules for those who are new to the game, a rundown the order of actions, as well as the pre-gens and descriptions of their abilities as soon as I have a forum set up.

Guess it's time to message an Admin.

I'll let this go until the 25th before I temporarily close applications, and once we hammer out a good method of implementing the rules to a Play-by-Post format, I'll re-open applications and start a game from the same forum, with player's original characters and a roster of 5 to 6 players, if possible.
Old Dec 17th, 2017, 11:51 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 691
MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister
Out of curiosity, how close is 4th edition to 2nd? I have the old 2nd Edition book in storage, but can get it out pretty quick.

"Life doesn't give you purpose. You give live purpose." - The Flash
Old Dec 18th, 2017, 01:55 AM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
It’s not too far off, I think... I’m not familiar with 2nd edition, just 1e and now 4e.

Since there isn’t a terribly big change between 1 and 4, I assume the 2 to 4 change is similarly small.

Some of the big changes I’ve seen:

Degrees of success are gone, no more good success/excellent success/extraordinary success is now a matter of seeing how many points you succeeded by, then for every 5 points over target, you have increased effect. So, if you roll a 22 against a target of 10, that’s 2 extra successes. Results of extra successes depend on the talent or spell, please check the power description.

No more armor defeating hits. Armor can only be bypassed by abilities/powers that specifically state that they bypass armor. Huge attack rolls will have increased damage steps though, so if you get 2 extra successes like in the above example, each extra success adds +2 to the damage step. So, if in the previous example, the test was a weapon strike, and the weapon usually did step 10 damage, those 2 extra successes makes it a step 14 damage test.

All spells can have threads woven to them, and all spell can be boosted by having more than the minimum number of threads woven. What you can do with that extra power is included in spell description. For example: Earth Darts. That classic elementalist attack spell, can have an extra thread woven, and with that you can choose to increase the range, or increase the damage, or effect an additional target.

No race/Discipline restrictions exist. Want to be an Obsidiman Scout? Go for it, but understand that there will be times that trying to sneak around as a 900 pound stone man is not going to go well for you. There are some Disciplines that are race specific, in which case restrictions are then strictly held, and for good reason, gotta have some uniqueness.

Disciplines have core talents, and a pool of elective talents you can choose from, for a bit of customization, though Human Versatility still is MUCH better. You can still only spend Karma on Core talent tests.

Races all have the same Karma die, though some races have more innate Karma than others. Karma rituals no longer cost Legend Points, but you can only do the ritual once a day. Burn that Karma all you want!

Karma ritual, durability, and some other Talents are now ‘free’, their ranks matching your circle, and going up automatically. These talents do not count towards your requirements for going up in circle, which is good, because you cannot raise them to Circle+1, as required for advancement.

There’s more, but overall they aren’t sweeping changes, like seen between AD&D and 3.5x, but small changes.

As for why there are so many editions, it’s probably because of legal stuff, FASA was bought and sold a couple times over the last 20 years, but they’re back, and as far as I can tell, they are autonomous again.

In the timeline, there has been a 2nd Theran war, which Barsaive won again, but the Throalic kingdom is severely wounded, Sky Point is gone, completely blasted away. I’m still reading on those changes, but like any campaign setting, I can always put the game at any point in the timeline.

Last edited by Karhald; Dec 19th, 2017 at 02:00 AM.