RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-16-2019, 08:32 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 58992
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
This is the place to Grr and Groan, so I feel for you Saratek. You have every right to grrrr.

Every DM has their likes, dislikes, and rules. Maybe that one didn't have time and energy to invest in judging such epic writings, and just wanted something simpler. Or maybe, they don't feel expert enough to judge such heavy writing?

I can't remember: Digorig, maybe??? once did a game application where he required exactly five sentences, or something similar, just to make people read and follow the rules. That's what he wanted to know for that game, that people could follow the rules.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:47 PM
Thinks People Are Tasty

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10740
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
I would like to point out that this isn't just one game or one DM. I've been seeing this come up more and more lately. It drives me away from those games because I invest in my characters, I make them more than a collection of general stereotypes and mechanics. I don't ever expect to get feedback, and I feel bad for those DMs that pm me further questions, because the responses back to address those end up just as long, just as in depth. If my character isn't chosen, I know it's because they didn't fit. I understand the contest of this application system. I don't complain, wish the DM and selected players the best moving forward, and then move onto the next game myself. This stuff isn't personal, and that's something I think some people forget.

There are exceptions, of course. As Dirk laid out with Dig, I would engage in that, but that's different when it's stated. I applied to a game that where it was specifically said they didn't want a backstory, just promoted rp samples.

My grip is using the standard Appearance/Personality/Background format and limiting all of those to only 3-5 paragraphs total.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:18 AM
Crushestro, Inc.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9081
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Oooohhh, writing opinions. In general, I agree with you, Saratek. As a DM (and, tbh, as a player) the thing that bothers me most is super long description. Maybe that's just a weakness of mine, but I don't need a whole paragraph on the texture of someone's cloak, or just describing their face. At some point it just becomes purple prose.

I always restrict description to 1 paragraph. I almost always emphasize that length doesn't necessarily mean quality. Am I being unfair?
Old 10-17-2019, 12:03 PM
Thinks People Are Tasty

Tools
User Statistics
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
I think that depends entirely on what you mean by "description"?

If you are talking "Appearance" in an app, I'm both with you and not at the same time. In my opinion, as long as the narrative isn't needless, like an entire paragraph on the bellow of a cloak(unique heirloom or magical cloak with a note about its history one time, okay), or describes things in a way not in line with any mechanics that could apply, and adds to the overall story, I don't see issue with it. If someone needs two paragraphs in their app to paint a picture of their character, what's the harm?

If you are talking "description" as in the narration in a post, even a combat post, that seems restrictive, especially in D&D where certain classes can do multiple, different things in the same turn. Not every fireball looks the same, nor does every Quickened Eldritch Blast need to. Anyone, including the DM, should be allowed to paint the scene as they see it, as long as it doesn't become repetitive or overbearing. No one needs to describe their "Special Eldritch Blast" each time they cast it. After the first, the players and the a DM know what it looks like.

The biggest thing I have to note is the need for Mutual Respect. If a DM expects their players to read the narrative they put their work into, they should show the same respect in reading what their players wrote. Everyone puts forth effort. While it might not always be the best or most engaging writing, the writer put work in, put in time and effort, just as we all do. It's not enjoyable to be ignored, and in a medium where the smallest details in a post can make a difference, something as simple as showing respect to others to at least scan their words isn't much.

And it's not like everyone is writing epics every post here like on other sites. I've been on [shall not be named rp sites] where the "standard" was at least 1500 word posts. After a while, it gets really hard to consistently do that on an every other day basis.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:48 PM
Crushestro, Inc.

Tools
User Statistics
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Oh, I specifically meant "appearance." My brain said the right thing, and my fingers disobeyed. Certainly, if story is involved (and it's good and engaging) then greater length is alright. And it's not like every time I see more than a paragraph of appearance I roll my eyes and reject the app or anything. It's just that offering a measurable restriction keeps people from posting 1500 word descriptions (which I've seen, and don't have a ton of interest in dealing with).

Entirely agree on the mutual respect of players and DMs. I've had to talk to one of my groups of players about not writing enough. I always keep it in my back pocket that I might talk to players about writing too much, if it ever becomes an issue in my ability to keep the game pace reasonable. It is important to read everyone's posts and respond appropriately, and if there's too much writing for my schedule, that impedes my ability to run a good game. Fortunately for me, I've never had to do that. I think, in part, that's because I mention my preferences in my game advertisements, and do make selections in part based on average post length.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:59 PM
Thinks People Are Tasty

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unko Talok View Post
I think, in part, that's because I mention my preferences in my game advertisements...
This is the most important thing any DM can do. DMs set the example for their games.

Last edited by Saratek; 10-17-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:23 PM
leaves spin windward

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39346
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Grr: somehow it's the 17th
Grr: I don't have enough prep done before National Novel Writing Month, aka NovemberNaNoWriMo
Grr: feeling the squeeze from a migraine taking up my week so far,
Too: many appointments with every doctor I have,
Or: feels like it.
Can: someone invent a time machine already, please?

Not to distract from good conversation on writing or anything. Just needed a GRR moment.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:29 PM
Thinks People Are Tasty

Tools
User Statistics
Grr: That I don't have the confidence to participate in NaNoWriMo.

Good luck, Aethera. You're braver than I.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:31 PM
Crushestro, Inc.

Tools
User Statistics
My NaNoWriMo: will have to be IronDM.

The allowed length: won't total 50k words.

But: I will certainly write 50k words, but have to parse it down to the 1-3k allowances..
Old 10-17-2019, 01:42 PM
leaves spin windward

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39346
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
NaNoWriMo: doesn't need confidence.
Throwing: words on the page says nothing about the quality of said words.
Hemmingway: said "The first draft of anything is ****."
He: was 1000% right.

Counts: in my book, Talok!
Old 10-17-2019, 10:23 PM
Crushestro, Inc.

Tools
User Statistics
IDK: How the game went.

But: I hope that Admin Dirk had a good night.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:42 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5068
ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX
Laying in bed, less than 6 hours before my alarm is scheduled, unable to sleep because the electricity has been knocked out and I need my CPAP.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:46 AM
⦓ Breathe The Dark ⦔

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4030
ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair
Requesting: reasonable accommodation for religious beard.
Probably: going to be denied because I practice a "fringe" religion.
Sorry: my religion doesn't fit in your neat, intolerant box, Texas.
But: I am who I am, and I refuse to give up my faith and practice just because you refuse to recognize it.
And: if you want me to shave, then you better be ready to hand me my pink slip. And you can't really afford to do that, given the turnover rate in our business.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:49 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 58992
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
@Parzival: So long as
you aren't wearing a full face respirator
they better: accommodate

Even then: PAPR may be a decent choice
depending upon the hazards.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:25 PM
⦓ Breathe The Dark ⦔

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4030
ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair
Excellent advice: often handed out by Dirk.
It's unfortunate: that I'm a correctional officer and not hazardous material handling. Same danger level, more or less, but very different protective gear.
I'm finding: my agency's uniform standards to be more than a little outdated, especially given our working environment. Most emergency services and the armed forces are allowed multiple expressions of faith, including metal bracelets and knives in some cases. Obviously I can't carry a knife in a prison, but a beard won't interfere with a gas mask seal any more than my glasses do, and I use those all the time.
Ironically: it's my religious beliefs and moral code that keep me from lying and getting a shave pass from my doctor to circumvent the restriction. I'll have to pray on it.

But thank you: for the support. It's a kindness many would not afford, but I've gotten plenty of it on this site.