Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 07:26 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 886
Alexader Alexader Alexader Alexader Alexader Alexader Alexader
I love it, but it's overpowered and here's why

Last edited by Alexader; 12-07-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:00 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2171
Garvin Garvin Garvin Garvin Garvin Garvin Garvin Garvin Garvin Garvin Garvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaon View Post
Thanks for the update. One little hitch though: Our charming little thorp of batavia has 4 wayfarer's guides within walking distance.
Those are private airfields. We'll develop a system to determine what the actual options are. Ideas so far: Try to book a flight... No flights over 400 miles allowed, and we'll say only major airlines count, for now just United. Price will be based on first class and private charter jet prices. It would not be 400 gp to get sent to another state. That should limit things adequately. The private airfields can be related to actual in-game flight. As with anything else, it's the DM's job to maintain the world. If something would be unbalanced, it's my job to fix it.

In-game, just because you see something on a map, doesn't mean it's (still) there. Cartography before modern technology was an imperfect science. Considering the technology level of our fantasy setting, smaller airfields could be what remains from past civilizations and the way they traveled magically.

Last edited by Garvin; 12-07-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 140
Phouka Phouka
...huh. The geography thing actually looks pretty good. Nice.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
If someone was to choose ranger as a class are the non-PHB combat styles allowable rather than having to go bow or twf?
Any ACF or similar content is fine. At character creation, just make me aware of source and page number.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizdiz View Post
Posting interest, will mull over some idea's and hopefully work out an application.
Welcome! I look forward to hearing your ideas.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Old 12-07-2012, 12:18 PM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9541
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma
The way you're using actual geography is fascinating. I may have to use that idea in the future.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3148
Archaon Archaon Archaon Archaon Archaon Archaon Archaon Archaon Archaon Archaon Archaon
I won't lie you guys, I'm probably a bit less experience in this sort of thing compared to the other applicants. While I consider myself proficient with the basic core books I have almost never used the various supplements/splatbooks. Matter of fact, this is the first time I'm considering playing gestalt and it's a bit trickier than I had expected. I'm bursting at the seams with fun character concepts but finding the classes that would fit that image synergistically is giving me a headache. It's my own fault really, I just want my class features to all (or mostly all of them) be relevant to the concept and that's not even considering the actual usefulness in-game.

So I've decided to give this whole crowd-sourcing thing a go. Without further ado, here are the main concepts I'm considering at the moment. So if you guys would be so kind as to read them through, tell me which you like, and suggest a few classes, it would be much appreciated.
#1 Washed Ashore
A mysterious stranger from the north lands has washed ashore. How will he find his way in this strange lands, will he ever come home, and (more importantly) what adventures will he have in this unfamiliar land? There is also the fun fact that nobody, not even he, knows how he ended up where he did. Amnesia is convenient like that.
Still working this one out. I'm thinking a rugged appearance, white hair, pale eyes, and a bit of shamanistic magic. Class-wise I was leaning towards sorcerer (maybe druid) and one of the sturdier classes (fighter/barbarian).

#2 Out from the Rabbit HoleNever one to be content with a quiet life within the warrens, this dwarven youth has set his mind to exploring the world beyond. This had always seemed like a unachievable goal to one of the poorer tunnel workers like him, until an unexpected benefactor gave him a chance to fulfill his dream. Of course, things never work out like you'd expect and this was no exception. He hit a patch of stale air shortly after leaving the outer perimeter behind him and was hopelessly lost by the time he regained his senses (conveniently popping up near batavia when he reached the surface).

Quote: "Thread lightly and carry a big stick pickaxe."
Probably my most complete concept. Curious with a rebellious streak to him and just a tad naive. Class-wise he would be a rogue-ranger, although I'm open to suggestions.

#3 Lone MagicianThe new face in town, nobody really knows that much about him except for what is readily apparent. Like the fact that he is hardly built for the road, acts and dresses a bit too finely to be one of the common folk, shows no signs of ever resorting to hard labor, and is permanently accompanied by his pet ferret.
The least complete concept. Like the first he is mainly based on the sorcerer, but I have no idea what his other class would be. Whatever it is, it would mainly contribute stats rather than flavor.

So that's it guys. Any comments, any suggestions? Looking forward to reading your responses.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Tell me more.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 63
Arcano
For #3 a Sorcerer Rogue sounds fitting, the synergy isn't much but its all in the play style really.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:11 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3148
Archaon Archaon Archaon Archaon Archaon Archaon Archaon Archaon Archaon Archaon Archaon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcano View Post
For #3 a Sorcerer Rogue sounds fitting, the synergy isn't much but its all in the play style really.
I would play this just so I could argue about sneak attack fireballs with the DM.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics

,... yep secreting.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Tell me more.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 63
Arcano
Quote:
I would play this just so I could argue about sneak attack fireballs with the DM.
My only reply to further your shenanigans: Prestidigitation.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
[...]I'm bursting at the seams with fun character concepts but finding the classes that would fit that image synergistically is giving me a headache. It's my own fault really, I just want my class features to all (or mostly all of them) be relevant to the concept and that's not even considering the actual usefulness in-game.[...]
That is exactly the kind of thinking I'm looking for: build a good / interesting / entertaining character, and use the mechanics / classes / races to give him cool things to do while being interesting. If you or anyone else has questions or wants help, I'd be glad to respond to PMs or secret posts. It would not be fair for me to tell you what you should do to develop your I think you should build a Figther. [...Later...] Sorry, you didn't build a fighter so you got cut.

That's just not fair to anyone.
character.

Also: Teaser #2 Released!

EDIT:Quadruple ninja'd? You guys are No fair. I'm at work.good.

Last edited by Garvin; 12-07-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics

Old 12-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
Those are private airfields. We'll develop a system to determine what the actual options are. Ideas so far: Try to book a flight... No flights over 400 miles allowed, and we'll say only major airlines count, for now just United. Price will be based on first class and private charter jet prices. It would not be 400 gp to get sent to another state. That should limit things adequately. The private airfields can be related to actual in-game flight. As with anything else, it's the DM's job to maintain the world. If something would be unbalanced, it's my job to fix it.

In-game, just because you see something on a map, doesn't mean it's (still) there. Cartography before modern technology was an imperfect science. Considering the technology level of our fantasy setting, smaller airfields could be what remains from past civilizations and the way they traveled magically.

I was sooo confused here,... so are there actually airplane flights...? If so whats gun tech at