Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 09-21-2019, 10:37 PM
Man or Machine?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23371
Azariah Azariah Azariah Azariah Azariah Azariah Azariah Azariah Azariah Azariah Azariah
We have a podcasts thread? Nice.

I get quite a bit of window time with work. Here’s my staples:

Pray the Word with David Platt
Anything Daily Wire: Mostly Ben Shapiro and Michael Knowles, but I enjoy Klavan and Walsh from time to time.
Alpha & Omega Podcast: Dr. James White

Podcasts I have listened to in the past on a regular basis:
Theology Refresh is really good too, but they haven’t done any new episodes in a good while.
Ask Pastor John (John Piper)
Stand to Reason (Greg Koukl)

I know it’s considered taboo to many, but I love worldviews, politics, religion, and apologetics. It spins my gears.

Last edited by Azariah; 09-21-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:54 PM
Custom User Title

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11146
kingmonkey kingmonkey kingmonkey kingmonkey kingmonkey kingmonkey kingmonkey kingmonkey kingmonkey kingmonkey kingmonkey
I have just started Marvel's Wolverine: The Long Night, and I am impressed at the quality of acting and soundscaping so far. Good stuff!

Also enjoying Fool and Scholar Productions' The White Vault (a horror story set in Svalbard, Norway) and Vast Horizon (a lone woman with a dark past, stranded on a damaged space ship).

Oh! And there's a new season of Within the Wires that I didn't know about.

Last edited by kingmonkey; 10-03-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:36 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1704
Samildinach Samildinach Samildinach Samildinach Samildinach Samildinach Samildinach Samildinach Samildinach Samildinach Samildinach
I have just started Critical Role and now im on Episode 12, can't find a good podcast so I just download the youtube videos and stick them in my AUX of the car and listen. Very entertaining!
Old 10-07-2019, 01:09 PM
Silly Little Rabbit

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7677
Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983
I like the Idries Shah Foundation podcast, mostly selected readings, it's a mix of tales, first person accounts, interviews (cultural crossroads) and philosophical commentary. The latest episode, Encounter with Aquil Khan, is the author's account of his encounter with Aquil, supposedly a real life alchemist, who shows them how to make gold. The story is purportedly true, but the author himself isn't quite sure and allows the listener to reach his own conclusions.

Last edited by Alex1983; 10-07-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:20 PM
⦓ Breathe The Dark ⦔

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3651
ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair
I recently caught up with Aaron Mahnke's Lore, and I keep up to date on Welcome to Night Vale. I'm anxiously awaiting the premier of Limetown Season 3.

I also really enjoy Mythology, by the Parcast Network, which is less about the gods/figures themselves and more about the stories they are in, which are narrated and acted out.

Lately my favorite has been Kalila Stormfire's Economical Magic Services, which is about a young witch in an alternate version of our world in which magic and such exist; it deals a lot with LGBT+ themes, as well as xenophobia and racism in a world where a black person is the least unusual sentient being that just wants to live in peace.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:02 PM
Some Believe in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2529
Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra
I saw no mention of This American Life which I thoroughly enjoy (even though I'm not American). I'll second/third/nth Critical Role and note that they do in fact have an audio-only podcast.

If you like geopolitics, Stratfor produces a podcast called Worldview which can be quite dry but can also be super interesting.

Last edited by Astra; 10-17-2019 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:01 AM
Silly Little Rabbit

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7677
Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983
I am enjoying the Joe Rogan Experience alot recently. I recommend the interviews, with Elon Musk, Neil Tyson and Kevin Smith. It's like listening to the radio but funnier and more interesting.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:00 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 150
pocketroid pocketroid
What a treasure trove of a thread! I usually prefer informative and thought-provoking podcasts rather than the more shallow Three Guys' Recorded Weekend Hangout Conversation (which seems to be most), but I'm sure I can share some like those too. One side-effect of podcasts for me has been finding new books to learn more about the subjects covered, so this thread threatens to expand my library and reduce my wallet.

As for myself, I've been getting into Astonishing Legends these past few months. I equate it to some of my favourite paranormal TV shows like In Search Of..., Sightings, etc. Maybe a bit like the radio program Coast to Coast AM if it was curated and boiled down. What sets Astonishing Legends apart for me are their deep dives, kind of like Dan Carlin. They take the subject seriously, researching it deeply; they should be writing and selling books. Really these are more like comprehensive documentaries. They do not "deep dive" every subject, and have only done so a few times, but their normal hour-ish single takes are also just as interesting and are probably more approachable. What is valuable about this show for me, is they collate all information avalable, and find new information, giving old subjects (for me) new life in light of the old information.

You could get started listening by going through their archive and pick a subject which interests you. The shorter ones are probably easier to start off with. Alternatively, I'll recommend broadly based on the limited set I've listened to:

Patterson-Gimlin Film
For me, the subject of sasquatch has been a point of endless fascination since I was wee. I thought I already knew everything, but Astonishing Legends has really created the definitive guide to the Patterson-Gimlin Film. If you aren't into or open to the idea of sasquatch, I admit this episode series may not be for you given the length and depth. But for me, it was the three-course meal I was starving for; indeed this episode series is how I learned about this podcast. This series is grounded in nature.

Mothman
I had dismissed Mothman for years, my focus tending toward more grounded cryptozoology. This series larned me that "Mothman" runs much deeper than a simple cryptid. There is so much going on here in a web of disparate but connecting events, and I am eager to read up more on my own. This series is more fantastic in nature, and I am surprised by how invested I became in it.

Dyatlov Pass
An expedition in frozen winter late 50's soviet Russia which turned fatal. I'd always heard of it, but this really illustrated a permanent corner of my brain. Probably a good starting episode. This one is grounded.

Oak Island Money Pit
An island off the coast of Nova Scotia in Canada, which I had never heard of before. In the 1700's, a guy finds a pit and digs in hopes of finding treasure. Who doesn't love x-marks-the-spot stories? This one is grounded.

Last edited by pocketroid; 11-01-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:15 PM
⦓ Breathe The Dark ⦔

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3651
ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketroid View Post
Dyatlov Pass
An expedition in frozen winter late 50's soviet Russia which turned fatal. I'd always heard of it, but this really illustrated a permanent corner of my brain. Probably a good starting episode. This one is grounded.
You've piqued my interest with this. I'm absolutely obsessed with stuff like the Dyatlov Pass Incident, especially considering how zipped up the Soviets kept it just after it happened. Might check this podcast out.

Unrelated to that, there's actually an American TV show about the Oak Island money pit, called "Curse of Oak Island", on the History channel. Almost nothing has happened, and it's run for like, four seasons, but the history and lengths they'll go to have been interesting. Look it up if you get the chance.