Old 07-22-2019, 02:01 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 79
rexlerlepp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vathe View Post
Rex. I noticed your intro said we were young adventurers. Most of us that have applied have made characters that are 40+. Would you prefer a younger and less rooted-in party?

Currently, Nicholas has two young men of adventuring age in his backstory that I could swap to.
Great question, I was starting to look more closely at that. But I think it would work the way they are being created.

The big thing is having a connection to the town and having a reason for being there. Further, depending on what you all provide me with backstories I'm planning on weaving them into the thread I already have for the game.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:38 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 828
Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlerlepp View Post
@Stadiumite Your application looks good don't forget that you get a free skill feat from the UA-Skill Feats
Thanks for pointing that out. I overlooked it. I will choose Naturalist if selected. She learned something during her time in the woods with Aunt Rai. I will update my application, but not change the character sheet until you have made selections.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:20 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 238
Dreamer Dreamer Dreamer
ELName: Elhana Ward

Race: Human
Class: Fighter
Level: 3
Background: Soldier
Alignment: Neutral Good
Fighting Style: Protection
Archetype: Battle Master
Skill Feat: Menacing

Backstory: While having been born in Iska, when Elhana was very young she and her folks were attacked while traveling, robbed and separated by being sold into slavery. She worked as a house servant when she was very young, then a laborer as she got older and finally she was sold into a small militia which used young soldiers as infantry as they were trying to take over their region by force. She was trained and the longer she survived, they saw in her a ferocity and her training intensified.

Eventually, she was sent out in the front lines of these attacks, with the goal of killing as many of those who dared stand up for themselves and their freedom. She had become the good soldier, doing as she was ordered, without question or thought. Her sword took down many, most of which were a blur to her memory, except for the last one. The militia passed through one small village, as it had nothing of true value but the land itself, they were ordered to execute everyone. El’s blade cut down several of the villagers and then she saw him, the boy at the end of the blade, just a few years younger than herself. The terror on his face would be with her forever.

She realized the monster that she had become and it shook her to her core. Before this event, she never thought about the past, but, in trying to remember who she had once been, she came across the memory of Iska, perhaps linking her former home with the memory of the slain small village. In the flurry of the next attack, she ran. It took her the better part of a year of hiding, slowly making her way avoiding towns until she finally found her way to Iska. There she found an uncle still living there who took her in. She’s been trying to make a life there, taking up an apprenticeship with the Blacksmith, but it’s been a hard road of trying to feel comfortable in this new life. She’s never quite been comfortable in the ‘normal’ life and the call of adventure seems inevitable.

Town Connection. She was born there, but has been gone from the age of 5 to recently, having found her way back in the last year.

Your character lives here and is a part of the community.
i. Blacksmith apprentice
ii. With her Uncle in town
iii. Most of her free time is spent in practice of her craft and maneuvers, however, she also spends some off time aiding the poor of the city.
iv. None

Personality Traits:
-I can't get the images of violence out of my head; I can stare down a hell hound without flinching
-I face problems head-on.

Bond:
-I've killed the innocent, now I've made my mind to protect them.

Ideal:
-When people follow orders blindly, they embrace a kind of tyranny.

Flaw:
-I carry guilt for killing the innocent under orders.

What is your character's goal in life? Doing something that will eventually ease her conscience of the guilt she carries.

What is their dream? Or something they would like to do. Use her Smithing skills to create a sword worthy of legend.

Last edited by Dreamer; 07-28-2019 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Added skill feat
Old 07-23-2019, 12:19 AM
Derpy cat

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1531
Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral
Sorry DM, I was planning to add the starting feat (Arcanist) to the character sheet at first ^^. I added it in as well as more details about the character's appearance and personality. I also roughly summarized his Backstory to fit the application format you requested in your first post just in case the BG was too long and a hassle to read. The character sheet isn't final but gives a good idea of what Kalder will look like if he is accepted into your game . With that the application should be complete.

The thing with age is that depending on the races maturity is quite different. 40 is old for a human to go adventuring, but for the three dwarves already applying, they would still be considered on the much younger side in their culture.

Last edited by Sadral; 07-24-2019 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:49 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4121
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Lark Velynn
Class: Wizard (Bladesinger)
Race: Elf (High)
Background: Criminal
Skill Feat: Quick-Fingered
Diety: Bes

Where do I start my story? With my mother, singing to me as an infant? Traveling the world with her in my youth? It is easy to see how these things have impacted my life, but in many ways they aren't my story. They are hers. My story doesn't really begin until I set out to seek my own path in the world. Actually, it wasn't so much a 'setting out'. She left the city, and I remained with the friends and acquaintances I had made during our stay.

But friendship only takes you so far, and the world has high expectations of its inhabitants. I quickly learned that taking things from others was far easier than earning them for yourself. I could blame those same friends and acquaintances, and say that I fell in with a bad crowd. But the truth is that I was a capricious young thing, and really had little concern for the law. Still, it was a living of a sorts, and I might have continued further down that path except for a chance encounter.

There was a house on Blackstone Commons, an old, dusty place, just the sort to be filled with old, dusty valuables and old, dusty inhabitants who wouldn't miss a few here and there. It was well after midnight when I crept in through an unlocked upstairs window and started making my way room to room, pocketing a few things that caught my eye. I could hear a voice from behind a partially open door, and my curiosity got the better of me. I'm not sure who was more surprised, myself or the old man casting the spell.

Now, I'm no superstitious sort to cry 'demon-worshiper' and call for torches and pitchforks. 'Elves who live in glass houses...', as they say. Magic had always been a part of my life, a small, subtle part that I had long ago been taught to keep away from human eyes. But this was magic on a wholly different level and I was entranced. For his part, the man was quite surprised and more than a little displeased to find a thief in his home. He had a few harsh words for me, and we shared a brief discussion regarding personal property which segued into a discussion of the benefits of privacy. Now, what he was doing wasn't exactly illegal, while my night's activities certainly were. But he had a lot more to lose than I did. He didn't want to report a theft, only to have his hobby exposed to the public at large. The discussion grew heated for a while, but in the end we came to an agreement. I lost everything I had picked up in his house, and he gained an apprentice.

I learned a great deal over the next years, studying under the old man, learning whatever knowledge he deigned to share. Not that the relationship was entirely one-sided. The skills from my previous life helped greatly in moving about the town on errands both public and private. On occasion, I was even able to acquire rare arcane ingredients without any record of sale at all (as it were). For my part, I took his teachings and combined them with skills from my childhood and my youth to synthesize a uniquely elven approach to magic.

It was six... no, seven now, seven summers ago that everything changed. A fever was sweeping through the lowest quarters of the city and tensions were high. The poor sought someone to blame, and dark rumors swirled through alleyways and slums. I don't know if it was a mistake I made, something my master had done, or something else entirely. But word of his magic got out, and just like that, he was a wicked magician, making pacts with dark beings and causing the illness. Being a wizard wasn't a crime, but the mob that broke down the front door had little concern for such social niceties. I returned to my home to find it ablaze, with my master strung up from a tree branch out front.
I could hear voices still searching for 'that knife-ear who worked for him', and I fled into the night.

With the suspicious odor of magic swirling around me, suddenly friendships, relationships and opportunities around me all dried up. Few wished to be seen speaking with me, and even fewer were willing to aid me. My only choice was to flee the city and head far, far away. As far away from any important of the country as I could find. That is how I came to be in Iska.

I had managed to sift a few valuables from the ruins of my life, and had been selling them off piece by piece to fund my travels. I was in a small, nowhere town on the coast, looking for a place to turn the last of them into ship's passage when I saw the 'Help Wanted' slate in the jeweler's window. Most of my experience with jewelry was appraising and acquiring it, rather than making it. But that was enough. For several years I have worked as a clerk in this small shop. I rent a small room on the floor above, and try to lead a simple, quiet life. Almost all the trappings of my old life are gone, except of course, for my book. Perhaps enough time has passed for me to go back, but why leave just yet? The mayor has asked me to sing and the next festival, and I would hate to disappoint.

Last edited by hafrogman; 07-23-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:23 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
rexlerlepp
I'm planning on closing applications at the end of this week, making my selections over the weekend, starting things up and at the beginning of next week.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:21 PM
Pesky Goblin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1062
Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe
Rex. Am I good to have Nicholas as the Spell-less Ranger outline WOTC made? It's in a weird space where it was fully fleshed out and on their site but never officially published in any book or arcana.

Last edited by Vathe; 07-23-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:16 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
rexlerlepp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vathe View Post
Rex. Am I good to have Nicholas as the Spell-less Ranger outline WOTC made? It's in a weird space where it was fully fleshed out and on their site but never officially published in any book or arcana.
Yes, I'm familiar with it. Go for it.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:30 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 905
DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles
Lark

Name: Malarkey “Lark” Bottoms
Race: Half Elf
Class: Sorc 1/Rogue 2
Deity: whoever's listening at the time, love
Skill Feat: Quick-Fingered

Backstory: Lark’s mother had an ancestor who had gained the favor (her family records are sketchy on the “how”) of a metallic dragon and, like many in her family, she enjoyed the blessing of a sliver of that dragon’s power. Lark’s father came by his gifts in a different, though not to say more savory, manner; he spent his youth nicking secrets and tidbits from wizards until he himself came into an understanding of the arcane arts himself. They met one night when they happened upon each other breaking into the same house and decided to enter into a partnership.

Together, the two of them ran every small-fish con, every pawn shop rook, every bit of skullduggery they could to pay their way through life in the sort of style they thought necessary for people of their talents. Eventually, they fell in the kind of love that only those who live outside the law can fall into. When Lark was born and displayed his mother’s blessings as well as his father’s talents, they naturally made the requisite changes to their routines so that they could include, and eventually teach, their son a useful trade.

In short, they were happy.

At least until a sharp-eyed noble’s son caught them plying their sibylline skills while cheating him at faro. The three of them fled the card house together, but the guards cornered them in an alley. The last thing Lark saw was his parents casting spells of illusion and silence on their son, hiding him behind a false brick wall making watch helplessly as the guards, who couldn’t see him, hauled his father and mother to wherever it is that they put mages. He never saw them again.

For several years afterward, Lark made his way through life in much the same way that any orphan does, he just did it with more flair, more talent, and more expertise. By the time he was 16, he had saved up a bit of money and moved to Iska, where he established himself a nice little office on the corner of Not Traditionally Moral and Not Technically Illegal, where he has operated ever since. When not engaged in the business of making acquisitions and social adjustments for his clientele, he spends his time sketching portraits of his parents as he remembers them, and the face of the man who snitched on them and stole them away from him.

Goal 1: Find the man who ratted out my parents.
Goal 2: Fold him slowly and inexorably into a vengeance that makes Asmodeus nauseous to hear of it.
Goal 3: Uncover the truth about how my ancestors came by the dragon's "blessing".
He/Him

Last edited by DialPforPickles; 07-23-2019 at 09:38 PM. Reason: adding pic and a few slight adjustments
Old 07-24-2019, 11:08 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 861
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Sorry, can't get my head around how to play the gunslinger class with those flintlocks; the reload time is too long for them to be effective so doesn't look like I'll be submitting anything in that vein.

Was thinking Halfling gunslinger to half the misfire rates but then thought of Yosemite Sam and that became my mental picture, lol.

Last edited by penbeast0; 07-24-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:45 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
rexlerlepp
Quote:
Originally Posted by penbeast0 View Post
Sorry, can't get my head around how to play the gunslinger class with those flintlocks; the reload time is too long for them to be effective so doesn't look like I'll be submitting anything in that vein.

Was thinking Halfling gunslinger to half the misfire rates but then thought of Yosemite Sam and that became my mental picture, lol.
They are definitely different than other types of guns. With the Musketeer feat a character can usually get two shots off fairly quickly, but after things do slow down. That said, I've play a support Bard with the Musketeer feat and between firing, reloading, and support others that character was always doing something. But the action economy was something I had to keep an eye on.

A better way to think about these types of guns, is the pirate who fires once as he/she is rushing into Melee distance.

Everyone else, I'm still on track to close applications Friday, and get things up and running early next week.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:00 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 332
Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlerlepp View Post
A better way to think about these types of guns, is the pirate who fires once as he/she is rushing into Melee distance.
I always think of this fight scene from the old Robert Redford movie, Jeremiah Johnson.

Last edited by Oakie; 07-25-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:48 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
rexlerlepp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
I always think of this fight scene from the old Robert Redford movie, Jeremiah Johnson.
Exactly like that! Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:50 PM
flawless disaster

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 94
Shutteredskies
Iseult Sornhauf

right-aligned image
Name: Iseult Sornhauf
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Warlock 3
Patron: Hexblade
Pact: Blade
Feat: Stealthy
Diety: Rawn

Background: Urban Bounty Hunter
Traits: I am always calm, no matter what the situation. I never raise my voice or let my emotions control me.
I lie about almost everything, even when there's no good reason to.
Ideal: People. I’m loyal to my friends, not to any ideals, and everyone else can take a trip down the Styx for all I care.
Bond: Someone I loved died because of a mistake I made. That will never happen again.
Flaw: I'm always in debt. I spend my income on decadent luxuries faster than I bring them in.
History
Tl;dr: Daughter of blacksmith and farmer, unwittingly came into contact with magic sword which imprinted on her. Subtly compelled to leave home seeking fortune only to run out of money a week in. Fustrated by lack of progress, patron agrees to pact to increase her abilities. She signs on as caravan guard, only for her employees to be brutally slaughtered by bandits. She ran away, then came back later at night to steal horse. Money from selling horse kept her alive for a while, in which time she accidentally stumbled upon the rather lucrative thief-taking business. While she was successful in this line of career, her excess spending habits lead to constant poverty, and so she continues to seek her fortune in a rather unaccommodating career.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:28 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 238
Dreamer Dreamer Dreamer
Whoops, sorry I forgot one thing. Skill feat added!