RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 08-10-2009, 09:45 AM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21678
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
I can't log into the new profiler either. I have cleared my cookies and my Cache. It says long in failed and that my identity can't be confirmed.

I tried having it reset my password, and it gives me another scary error page that tells me it's an Invalid profile name.

Could it be the _ in my username?

---------------------

Also, a minor thing that may or may not have been mentioned. The skin border breaks where the top menus meet the main thread content area, just under the menu bar where the donate button, my account, etc. is. The margins seem different. Window size seems to be important here.

Last edited by Still_Pond; 08-10-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:12 AM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25776
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Pond View Post
I can't log into the new profiler either. I have cleared my cookies and my Cache. It says long in failed and that my identity can't be confirmed.

I tried having it reset my password, and it gives me another scary error page that tells me it's an Invalid profile name.

Could it be the _ in my username?
Try now.

Quote:
Also, a minor thing that may or may not have been mentioned. The skin border breaks where the top menus meet the main thread content area, just under the menu bar where the donate button, my account, etc. is. The margins seem different. Window size seems to be important here.
Happens to me too -- but just on the right hand side? ronarscorruption, who did a lot of work on this skin, knows and will take care of it
Old 08-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 71
Eend
At the moment i can not add an own avatar. only can chose from the common ones.

for the rest i haven't found any problem yet...
Old 08-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6365
Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh
I just got a message saying the server was too busy, please try again later
Old 08-10-2009, 11:09 AM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
Yup -- 'later' in that case, on a server like this, means either:
1) in a few moments, when the spike of requests for things has gone away (e.g. randomly, now and again, all 100+ people online will ask for a page at exactly the same time), or
2) when there are a lot of people on, load increases, and 1) becomes more frequent; this will only be 'bug' worthy if it starts happening all the time when there are a lot of people one

The reason to pass that message is that it (hopefully) keeps the server load situation from escalating to the point where it is unusable by anyone at all for a long period.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6365
Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh
Are there plans to improve this?

It beats the 1 hour a day server down though
Old 08-10-2009, 11:54 AM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naresh View Post
Are there plans to improve this?

It beats the 1 hour a day server down though
Believe it or not, we are _always_ trying to improve this. At some point, however, there isn't much you can do (php is a hairy beast, and from what I see vBulletin is coded to _work_, but not necessarily to _work efficiently_). Many of the underlying software changes that happened with this update should help.

I just went through all the board settings and turned off any that might be problematic for load.

Changes you'll notice:
  • No more attached images shown inline in posts.
  • Forum home page will no longer show logged in users.
  • Threads will no longer show who is browsing them.

Last edited by Birched; 08-10-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Fear the Shannigans!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 160
dhibidy30 dhibidy30
I too am here to report the dreaded "Server is too busy" page. Seems to happen to me when I walk away from my comp and then come back to it.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Lemon Eater

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23271
Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak
Download Thread option missing from the Thread Tools.
I use this function to down load the games I'm behind in and catch up when I'm offline.
Just pointing it out as I didn't see it mentioned yet. Wondering if perm removed or a potential add in when the code is cleaned up.

EDIT: Sorry I see it now as show printable version...

Last edited by Birched; 08-10-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:47 PM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embrodak View Post
Download Thread option missing from the Thread Tools.
I use this function to down load the games I'm behind in and catch up when I'm offline.
Just pointing it out as I didn't see it mentioned yet. Wondering if perm removed or a potential add in when the code is cleaned up.

*** hidden content ***
I, too, used download thread and download post all the time. However, like many things, it is an incredibly outdated modification to vBulletin that was made years ago. I've had to recode a number of these, and haven't had the time to get to some kind of download option -- it will come, but I wouldn't expect it before the end of September.

And I guess I have to fix what happens to secret tags in quoted text, too. That's pretty lame. (see edit above)
Old 08-10-2009, 01:41 PM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
The database hiccup that just happened was caused by the last thing that I'm doing right now to try to reduce server loads. It's done... so now we'll see whether it helped.

Note: I'm working on the site using the server all day, so now and again I'll have to run something that will consume resource. Just letting you know.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Lemon Eater

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23271
Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak
Just wanted to point out I have been receiving Numerous

"The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later."

Messages. Starting about 10:00 AM EST I have been getting them frequently.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:05 PM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
1) Some code is compiling on our server at the moment. Prior to that, I was recaching all the posts from the last 90 days to lower server load (pay now, benefit later). Both are very processor-intensive procedures (especially the former). Hopefully the compile will be finished soon.
2) double posts: some of us are seeing double posts; this seems to be a known bug (and applies especially to moderators and admins, for whom the timeout was set to 0 in this version of the code) -- either they will patch it, or I will correct it in the code, when I can get to it.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Worldcrafter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31515
Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption
Apparently, users can see private threads they don't belong to. They still can't access them, though.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Spicy Meatball
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7198
JayRob JayRob JayRob JayRob JayRob JayRob JayRob JayRob JayRob JayRob JayRob
On a positive note, I'd like to mention some things that I particularly like about the new site.

1. Little tiny Google ads. These are so much less distracting!

2. The new Infraction system. Rawr!

3. The 'Stat Block' on the cmps_index page. Way cool!

Thanks for everything so far and forthcoming, B!