Go Back   RPG Crossing > Feedback & User Resources > New Member Introductions
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 06-05-2020, 09:31 PM
Ghost

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20817
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Lucky for you people here are mostly helpful and your DC starts at 0! Welcome aboard!
Old 06-06-2020, 03:42 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 163
Symbelmynė Symbelmynė
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unko Talok View Post
Welcome to the site, Symbelmynė! Oh, we've got an umlaut there on that last e... how is that pronounced, anyway?

Sounds like you've got quite a lot of experience and aspiration! I love it! I never played 4E until recently. When it first came out, I was very much on the hate-train for reasons that had little to do with the edition itself. I've only recently tried my hand at it. I'll say that it's... definitely better than I expected, but not my favorite system. It helps that the DM running the game is a good one. And I can certainly see the influences of the system on some of the 5E rules, which is pretty cool! But generally, I'll take 5E or 3.5 over 4E, in that order.

If you've got any questions, let us know! We're happy to help.
I think in the film adaptation of The Two Towers, King Theoden pronounces it "symbol-moon-er", but in a documentary about Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien sounded it more like "symbol-myurn-er". I like both pronounciations and the word looks good written down.

I have no experience with understanding how umlauts work. I may ask a German friend of mine.

I played 4e because that was what the group I happened to join wanted to play. Or what the DM chose to run. I was curious to try the new system but I wasn't a fan of the WoW feel, and it seemed that all character classes ended up being much the same - all classes having a selection of special abilities which are added to as you level up. It almost didn't matter whether these powers were magical or not. Compare this to previous editions, as well as 5e (I think), and you see that in those editions playing each class can feel like a totally different game, within the same system.

Great to meet you all, this seems like an awesome community.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:55 PM
Dim Henchmen of Pang!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13373
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
What's weird is that I took a couple years of German, but didn't encounter many words with an ė. Umlauts seemed much more common on other vowels. It's also possible that I've just completely forgotten. Or that the ė is just more common in other Germanic languages rather than more modern German, since those other cultuers were largely what inspired Tolkein!

Yeah, 4E definitely has that feel to me. Not that every class is identical. But there was definitely a push to make them more similar! I don't think that's all bad, necessarily. It certainly seems way more balanced than some other edition. Not that class balance should rule all. But it's somewhere that 4E appears to shine a bit brighter.

Anyway, I'm just babbling. Glad you like the community!