Old Apr 29th, 2012, 02:05 AM
Kat

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6465
Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy
(3.5e) Races of the Archipelago [World of Manumit]

Situation:
--I plan to open recruiting for a "mass solo" game (an adventure where a half dozen PCs start off independently and have the option to join together or kill each other depending on their choices and encounters).

Goals:

--Create a wider range of diversity in terms of flavor for races in an island, cliff, aquatic, semi-high-magic area.

*Example terrains I plan to have them encounter:
  • Jungle
  • Submerged (Underwater) City
  • Cliff-based City
  • Volcanoes
  • Boats

*Important Notes
  • Overall Neutral Zone
  • Heavy planar influence (Thought of adding Rakshashi, Ifrit, but haven't got there yet)
  • Predominant races of the island chain will be: Yuan-ti, Ratfolk, Dragonkin, Tiefling, but there is a very wide range of races spread through the islands.
  • Some races where usually one "standard" subtype generates will be more diverse; ex: equal numbers drow and 'standard' elves (might get into more subtypes soon)

--Keep races "simple" at first since I might add level-based progression later but don't want to have all this formalized until I see what is actually going to happen.

*I plan to start off with 4-8 players, so I will probably just choose whatever races they end up settling on and choosing the racial progression once the game begins.

*For this reason, some things that in other scenarios are templates added to a race, here are pure "races" [Daywalker Vampire, Tiefling, etc.]

--Modify existing monstrous races or things that previously were templates so they will work with a +0 ECL setting so I can start everyone at level 1.

--Keep things in the "ballpark" of balanced.

*I tend to be pretty loose as a DM with some things (Darkvision); a bit concerned about certain resits one or two races had (Aasimar, Tiefling), trying to decide long-term impact even after I nerfed them dramatically.

Features:

--I have two new races that I don't think I've seen around at the bottom.

*Still need to add more flavor and special skills to make these races distinct
*Any suggestions mechanically on either one would be appreciated.
*I will add some artistic representations I've found online if the central idea of a race is unclear.

What I would like:
--Feedback, and lots of it!
--Suggestions for more races (or your additions).
--Balance suggestions.
--Flavor suggestions (making the existing entries more interesting and distinct)

Q. Why 3.5e?
A. I want to include Tome of Battle and some of the other supplements as options.

Last edited by Krazy; Apr 29th, 2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 02:06 AM
Kat

Tools
User Statistics
Races of the Archipelago
A World of Manumit Campaign Supplement

Skill Rule Changes
"Spot" and "Listen" are both combined into one skill -- "Perception" (Wis). Any class that is proficient in either is proficient in Perception.

"Hide" and "Move Silently" are both combined into one skill -- "Stealth" (Dex). Any class that is proficient in either is proficient in Stealth.

"Handle Animal" and "Ride" are combined into one skill -- "Handle Animal." Any class that is proficient in either is proficient in Handle Animal.

The skills "Decipher Script" and "Profession" are removed from the game. Any PrC that requires it in turn does not require it.

The following skill is added: "Fly" (Dex). This directly pertains to maneuverability while in the air. If you want to know if your class has this as a class skill, ask. It probably does. Please add this to your sheet.

The following class skill is added: "Sail" (Int). This directly pertains to navigation, the uses of sailing equipment, and knowledge checks related to sailing. If you want to know if your class has this as a class skill, ask. It probably does. Please add this to your sheet.

Variations from SRD 3.5 Version of Standard Races

Humans

Gnomes

--Please consult the DM about options with Gnome Variants.

Dwarves

--Please consult the DM about options with Dwarf Variants.

Elves

--Please consult the DM about options with Elf Variants.

Elves, Drow

Half-Elves
Racial Favoritism -- Choose one of the following two following choices when choosing half-elf: Human Favoritism, or Elf Favoritism.

Human Favoritism -- Gain a feat like the human extra feat.

Elf Favoritism -- Gain the martial weapon proficiency group that elves have.

Half-Orcs
Half-orcs receive a +2 bonus to constitution in addition to the other modifiers.

Halflings
Survivor or Island Halfling -- choose one.

Survivor -- Your character survived the halfling holocaust on the continent. You gain the feat Diehard.

Island Halfling -- Gain the feat "Skill Focus: Swim." Swim is always a class skill for you.

Variations from OGL Content
Note some of these are significant changes

Aasimar --

Tiefling --

Dragonkin --

Yuan-Ti --
Pureblood

Abomination

Conversions from Other Systems

Ratfolk --

Catfolk --

Daywalker Vampire --

Aquatic Monstrous Conversions
Kuo-Toa --

Lizardfolk --

Locathah --

Sahuagin --

Troglodyte --

Original Races
Bonded

Discardan

Last edited by Krazy; May 3rd, 2012 at 02:43 AM.
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 02:10 AM
Kat

Tools
User Statistics
Visuals

BONDED - "HALF WARFORGED"

DISCARDAN - "SHADOW-TOUCHED"

Example 1 -

Example 2 - [Planned Important NPC; Regional Leader]

Example 3

Last edited by Krazy; Apr 29th, 2012 at 03:02 AM.
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I'm really not that cool.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4756
loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock
The Yuan-ti being immune to poison is too powerful for a character without level adjustment. It's an ability that you'd normally have to be a fairly high level druid to gain. In fact, their ability to change shape is pretty over the top. Both need to be parred back; nix the shape shifting and reduce the poison immunity to +4 vs. Poison. Scent - as a special quality - is also too strong; par it back to a +2 bonus to perception checks as the have another sense providing additional input. Parceltongue is nifty, very flavorful.

The Drow, Discardian Tiefling, and Aasimar gain spell like abilities that vastly overshadow the ones gained by gnomes, who set the standard for spell like abilities free of level adjustment by gaining 0th level powers. Of course, you could improve the gnome spell likes to creep their power up a smidge and raise the bar that way, but as it stands there is an imbalance.
-#577 From The Canonical List of Famous Last Words

Last edited by loki_ragnarock; Apr 29th, 2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Kat

Tools
User Statistics
Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I changed Yuan-ti Poison Immunity and Scent to this:

Poison Resistance (Ex): As venomous creatures, yuan-ti gain +4 to fortitude saves against poison.
Weak Scent (Ex): A yuan-ti gain +2 to survival checks related to tracking an opponent if they are familiar with their scent.

Also Ratfolk since I think they also had scent.
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Kat

Tools
User Statistics
As for spell-like abilities, it's better to just nerf across the board for level one right now. I can add things back in later on as part of level-progression-related bonuses (gain Darkness at Level 4 as a spell-like ability for tieflings, gain an extra +4 to fortitude saves vs. poison for yuan-ti, etc.).
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 731
ifdesign ifdesign ifdesign ifdesign ifdesign ifdesign ifdesign
Creating a natural level progression for racial powers is a great idea. That would help a lot in giving some of the innate abilities back to the races. You will just have to let people know ahead of time that you'll be generating a table for the races selected. Or create a table for each of your races ahead of time. A lot of work, but players would appreciate knowing what direction their races is going.

You also have to figure out what additional abilities do you give to players who end up using standard races, like human. Although I don't know why you would when there are so many choices.

As far as they look right now I would say they are pretty balanced. None of the races are jumping out at me as the "top choice" from a mechanics standpoint. Looks like a pretty good start.
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Kat

Tools
User Statistics
The trick is that right now I want to get a sense of how fast the game actually moves at before I decide what the earliest level for racial progression is. Mostly I'm trying to decide between 3, 4, and 5. Obviously 5 is the easiest for me (bonuses at 5, 10, 15, 20) -- 4 boosts per race is a lot! But I'm not sure that I don't want them getting some sort of benefit by level 3 or 4.

Or I could have an uneven progression. Something like: 3, 5, 9, 15, 19. Skipping 7, 11, 13, 17 would mean I have to work a lot less hard to balance everything, but still give players more from their race earlier on.

I'm estimating level 9 as the main point for the "key" abilities to jump out: flying for dragonkin and vampires, shapeshifting and/or poison immunity for yuan-ti, shapeshifting for catfolk, ratfolk, shadow powers for Discardan, weapon powers for Bonded.

3 will probably be either a skill-focus type boost feat or a minor spell-like ability. 5 could be a lesser version of the powers they'll get at 9. etc.
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 731
ifdesign ifdesign ifdesign ifdesign ifdesign ifdesign ifdesign
I think if you're planning on starting everyone at level one, give them some bonuses early on. It helps people stay excited and grow attached to their characters.

Another thing to consider is giving the bonuses when typically players don't already get bonuses. Let's be honest, going from level one to level two is kinda a let down. No ability bonuses, no additional feats, unless you're a fighter. Same with progressing from level 4 to level 5. Might not be a bad idea to spread some of the love over the levels.
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Kat

Tools
User Statistics
Good idea! Level 2 could certainly work for the first racial ability. People actually get their first ability stat point at 4, although it is true that spellcasters are usually less excited for even numbered levels.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 01:35 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 478
Fwarginator Fwarginator Fwarginator Fwarginator Fwarginator
From a purely societal standpoint, the -2 INT on the abomination seems a bit off. The abominations are supposed to represent the leaders and masterminds of the Yuan-Ti community. I realize the need to drastically scale down to fit the +0 LA goal, but I just thought I would bring it up.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 04:59 AM
Kat

Tools
User Statistics
Alright. I'll kill the ability modifiers on the abomination for now until I can come up with some that feel right.

Last edited by Krazy; May 2nd, 2012 at 05:00 AM.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 04:01 PM
Kat

Tools
User Statistics
Current Race in Progress:

Minotaur

Minotaurs possess the following racial traits:

Last edited by Krazy; May 3rd, 2012 at 01:48 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:50 AM
Kat

Tools
User Statistics
I know the aquatic races look pretty bare, but consider that I'm adding "amphibious" to all of them (even Troglodytes that aren't even Aquatic in MM, flavor change there); and underwater breathing + swim speed in a campaign like this is going to be pretty huge.

Last edited by Krazy; May 3rd, 2012 at 01:53 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:17 AM
Kat

Tools
User Statistics
The Bonded

+2 Strength, -2 Charisma
Construct (Living Construct)
Medium
Base land speed is 30 feet.
Heavy: -2 to Swim Checks.
Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bonded gain an Exotic Weapon Proficiency as a bonus for a weapon of their choice.
Natural Healing: Bonded recover life by resting equal to one half the amount of life they would gain as a normal biological creature.
Automatic Languages: Common.

Traits:
—Unlike other constructs, a bonded has a Constitution score.
—Unlike other constructs, a bonded does not have low-light vision or darkvision.
—Unlike other constructs, a bonded is not immune to mind-affecting spells and abilities.
—Unlike other constructs, bonded are subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, stunning, ability damage, ability drain, and death effects or necromancy effects.
—As living constructs, bonded can be affected by spells that target living creatures as well as by those that target constructs.
—Damage dealt to a bonded can be healed by a cure light wounds spell or a repair light damage spell, for example, and a warforged is vulnerable to disable construct and harm.

—Unlike a warforged, a bonded is not immune to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, effects that cause the sickened condition, or energy drain.
—Unlike a warforged, a bonded CAN heal damage naturally.
—Unlike a warforged, spells from the healing subschool and supernatural abilities that cure hit point damage or ability damage provide their full, normal effect to a bonded.
—Unlike a warforged, a bonded does not have composite plating.
—A bonded does need to eat, sleep, and breathe.

—Bonded need to breathe one half the amount of a biological creature and can thus hold their breath for twice as long as a biological creature.
—Bonded need to eat one half the amount of a biological creature and thus daily rations can be consumed over the course of two days.
—Bonded need to sleep one half the amount of a biological creature, but bonded wizards still need to rest eight hours to prepare their spells.

—A bonded receives a +2 to fortitude saves for the following effects: poison, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, effects that cause the sickened condition, and energy drain.

—The unusual physical construction of bonded makes them vulnerable to certain spells and effects that normally don’t affect living creatures. A bonded takes damage from heat metal and chill metal as if he were wearing metal armor. Likewise, a bonded is affected by repel metal or stone as if he were wearing metal armor. The iron in the body of a bonded makes him vulnerable to rusting grasp. The creature takes 1d6 points of damage from the spell (Reflex negates; save DC 14 + caster’s ability modifier). A bonded takes the same damage from a rust monster’s touch
(Reflex DC 17 full).

—When a bonded's hit points are less than 0 and greater than –10, a bonded is dying. He receives a +2 modifier on attempts to stabilize.
—As a living construct, a bonded can be raised or resurrected.

Very Light Fortification (Ex): When a critical hit or sneak attack is scored on a warforged, there is a 10% chance
that the critical hit or sneak attack is negated and damage is instead rolled normally.
• Automatic Languages: Common.