Announcement Outplay 2022 Final Judgements - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > Outplay Arena > Outplay 2022
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2022, 10:26 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31091
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Outplay 2022 Final Judgements

We have reached the end of Outplay 2022. It was a neck-to-neck race in the finish line with two very different styles of players, showing different strengths and bringing their own flavors to the final showdown with the Benefactor. Between Bushi's Amari and AnotherDragoon's Legion, who would take the round? The finale had no mechanical scores, and no bonus points to influence the end results. Only the word of the Judges decided who the winner will be. The scores were tallied, and the results are as follows:

Scoring Summary - Round 4
CategoryAnotherDragoonBushi
Marshmallow3536
GleefulNihilism3334
Retry3835
rhaiber3436
Judges Average35.0035.25

Winning by a single point (0.25 points in the overall average) Bushi, who will be crowned the champion of Outplay 2022! Congratulations, and a huge shoutout and thank you to all of our players who helped make an exciting, adrenaline-filled event this year.

Last edited by Bhelogan; Aug 23rd, 2022 at 09:38 PM.
Old Aug 20th, 2022, 03:30 PM
Highly Reportable

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12407
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Scoring Summary - Finals
Enjoyability & Creativity98
Clarity, Formatting, and Technical910
Grammar & Writting1010
Moved the Plot/True to Character78
Total3536

Honestly, it's a super close & difficult call for me here, both participants brought something to the table and both offered a strong argument for either or, but ultimately I have voted in favor of Bushi.
Old Aug 20th, 2022, 05:37 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24584
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Player Name AnotherDragoon Bushi
Character Name Legion Amari
Enjoyability and Creativity 9 9
Clarity, Formating, and Technical 9 10
Grammer and Writing 8 7
Movement and Action 7 8
Totals 33 34

Heh, I feel very closely the same way as Marsh. It's an extremely close and difficult call.

The short version I feel that AD was stronger in general but didn't quite stick the landing and Bushi's strategy of supplimenting posts with original art and music might have been a bit of a Hail-Mary-Pass tactic but it worked. That strategy could easily have blown up in Bushi's face.

Ultimately that's the only real difference I think. Bushi was a little more willing to Gamble and the bets happened to pay off. At the DnD table AD's character would probably be a little better mechanically - but Bushi would end the night with the big play that everybody would talk about forever and come back to the table next week to see if it happened again.

So Bushi gets my vote- but don't get cocky kid, we're talking *barely*. :P

Last edited by GleefulNihilism; Aug 20th, 2022 at 05:38 PM.
Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 12:10 PM
Here to help

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33628
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Retry's Final Score
Scoring Summary - Finals
CategoryAmari(Bushi)Legion(AnotherDragoon)
Enjoyability & Creativity89
Grammar & Writting910
Moved the Plot/True to Character99
Total

I'm not going to do a breakdown only for the simple fact that we're at the end. There is nothing more you could tweak for future rounds. I hope you will forgive me for that. Just know that you two did fantastically and grading was quite difficult as Amari and Legion had two very different playstyles.

Both characters handled their objectives swimmingly. Amari took on the big bad as one would expect of an offense-styled character. Legion provided aid from afar while securing the main objective for this entire event: Find/Rescue Jake. Both of you pushed the plot along excellently providing hooks for one another to play off of while shining yourself.

We have been spoiled by Bushi's art for this whole competition and now we're getting music added into the mix. There were also references galore from both the contestants AND the GM that were absolutely wonderful and had me going "I understood that reference!" This has been a heck of a debut you have made to the site, Bushi, and I hope you stick around!

At the end of it all, I believe Legion came out as the stronger contestant here.
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 06:11 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16908
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Scoring Summary - Finals
Enjoyability & Creativity89
Grammar & Writting108
Moved the Plot/True to Character79
Total3436

If anyone is interested in how I picked those numbers, here is my elaborated descriptive rubric:

And here is my more specific, day-by-day feedback:

Overall
  • Bushi - You have been growing as a writer with every step of this contest, and this round was the best so far. You really took control of the narrative. Not only did you take action to advance the plot in every post, it also felt like Amari took charge in directing Legion on what to do. You took chances experimenting stylistically. My one major critique would be that this experimentation led to some inconsistency in style and tone, but I’d rather see people take chances any day. Also, I appreciate that even though mechanics are not being judged in this round, you still made an effort to use your established moves and actually roll for them in every post.
  • AnotherDragoon - You are an amazingly consistent player. As a GM, I would want you in my games because you acknowledge and work with every prompt, while keeping your eyes set on the overall goal. As a player, I would want you in my party because you are a collaborative team player who always works to lift others up.Unfortunately, as a judge of the contest, I have to say that your posts were sometimes a bit too reactionary. It let Amari set the pace and tone for the round, almost dragging Legion along for the ride.