Information Competition rules and rules queries for Outplay 2022 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > Outplay Arena > Outplay 2022
twitter facebook

Notices

Old May 8th, 2022, 10:54 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31091
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Competition rules and rules queries for Outplay 2022

If you have any rules questions, you can make them here. If your question would involve spoilers of the events in-game (or if you want to keep your concerns away from the prying eyes of other applicants), please put your question under a secret tag, and direct the question at your GM (or one of the GMs of this game forum).

General rules for Outplay 2021Multiple applications: Only 1 application. We are running only 1 system this year.

Reusing Characters: : You may use character concepts that were created for other competitions or games. They will need to be reworked to fit The Outplay System rev 2022 rules.

Post edits: In all role-play rounds, you may only edit your post in the hour after its initial post. Posts edited after this window will not be considered by the judges, and may not be granted award points. In Round 0 you may edit your application as much as you want until the deadline.

Dice rolls: Each day of the competition, you make one 1 dice rolling post. All game dice are to be rolled in this post, separate from your game post, and labeled. Any editing of the dice tags after the initial post will result in a big red box invalidating your rolls. (This includes editing the label, so make sure you do that first!) We are not requiring the use of inum, although you may continue to use it if you wish. The dice post is separate from your game post, and not subject to the 1-hour time limit. For example, you may make your dice rolling post initially after the GM makes an update, coordinate on the results with your teammates, and then make your in-game post several hours later. Please keep dice rolls in a SPOILER, to keep the thread as tidy as possible. Once you have made a roll to take an action though, you are locked into using that for your action in your game post.

Player vs Player Conflict: PvP will not be allowed. In-character disagreements are acceptable, but in most circumstances deliberately acting in a way intended to stop another character from surviving/succeeding will be heavily penalized. Any potential exceptions to this will be made very clear.

Post Rate During role play rounds (rounds one through four), GM will be updating once a day, every day except for the last day of the round, for each week of play. There are one-week breaks between rounds of play. We expect successful players to post once per GM update.

Scoring: Each judge will grade every participant using the following rubric:
  • Enjoyability and Creativity - 10 points (How well did you like the content)
  • Clarity, Formatting, and Technical - 10 points (Was the post clear, easy to follow, Used these system rules correctly)
  • Grammar and Writing - 10 points (No obvious spelling errors or grammatical blunders, how was the quality of writing?)
  • Moved the Plot / Acted true to Character - 10 points (Did posts move things forward, and fit the theme of the character doing them?)
  • Mechanical Success - 10 points (Each individual round this year will have a clear-cut objective, and defined scoring metric)
There may be opportunities for bonus points in each round if certain objectives are met. Each week, a number of players will be eliminated as shown below. The Outplay champion for 2022 will be the player who has the highest score at the end of Round 4.
The Outplay System rev 2022:

GMs: Imveros
Judges: Marshmallow, Bhelogan, Retry, GleefulNihilism, Yamaneko (Withdrawn due to health issues, TBD if will be able to help out later in the competition), rhaiber (Subbing for Bhelogan in judging Round 4)
Elimination structure: This is a single-elimination tournament, but the elimination structure will allow more players than in the past to continue to the next round.
Round 0: Everyone who would like to participate
Round 1: Round 1: Brackets will be formed with 8 players per group. We will run as many brackets for which we have enough qualified applications to fill.
Round 2: 4 Players per bracket will advance to Round 2
Round 3: 2 Players per bracket will advance to Round 3
Round 4: 1 Player per bracket will advance to Round 4
Competition timeline
Round 0 (applications) open: Friday June 3rd to Friday June 24th at 6pm EST

Round 0 Character Sheet Reviews: Friday June 24 to Friday July 1
Adjustments to characters finalized: Saturday July 2nd and 3rd (If need, last year we handled most of this before the Round 0 deadline)

Round 1 play: Monday July 4 - July 8
Round 1 Judging: July 9 - July 15

Round 2 play: Monday July 18 - July 22
Round 2 Judging: July 23 - July 29

Round 3 play: Monday Aug 1 - 5
Round 3 Judging: Aug 6 -Aug 12

Round 4 play: Monday Aug 15 - Aug 19
Round 4 Judging: Aug 20 - Aug 26
Winner declared by August 31

Last edited by Bhelogan; Aug 11th, 2022 at 10:23 PM.
Old May 8th, 2022, 10:55 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
What is outplay? Check out this excellent description from Aethera here.

Q and As to follow:

Q: Is the character name and title for their real name or their runner name?
A: For names - the name your runner is known by for sure should be there. Their real name may or may not be, up to you.

Q: How strict are we sticking to Shadowrun canon for our characters?
A: This even is Shadowrun-themed, but it is not Shadowrun proper. We do not need to stick strictly to the SR canon. It's more a framework for inspiration.

Q: How strict is the word count?
A: Traditionally, if you are on the line, not too bad (perhaps a few points docked). TBD on the impact for Round 0. A few points in later rounds though can be the difference between advancing and not.

Q: Will bonus points be awarded for rolling your CN and race in Round 0 like last year?
A: Yes, this will be treated like last year. Depending on how many applications we have, this may or may not help you advance. In general, if you have a character concept you want to develop, go for that rather than random rolls.

From 2021 Q and A, which I think is applicable here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelogan View Post
Q: I don't like my Race and CN die rolls, do I have to stick with them?
A: No, you may choose to select your own race and CN, if you don't feel inspired by your rolls. You just forfeit the small bonus for doing so.

Q: If rolling for CN, can we roll 1d4+1, instead of 1d6 with rerolls on 1 or 6? The result should be the same
A: Yes, you can do this if you choose. Someone should have mentioned that to Wishkamon before they had to... oh never mind.

Q: Do I need to list specifically what my adventuring gear does?
A: A piece of Adventuring Gear is just something your character knows how to use well. You do NOT need to define mechanics for it, or list the special cases where it can be used. Anything you do during the adventure that uses the piece of gear benefits from the 1d6. For example - if my character has a Well Trained Duck as a piece of adventuring gear, I can just describe what it is, and maybe list a few tricks it has been taught. In play, if I choose to use the duck to cause a distraction, to impress a merchant to give up information, or trick a guard into thinking he is going crazy, these are all things using the duck that would get the extra roll. I don't have to list those use cases in the mechanics section though.

Q: Do I have to specify which piece of Adventuring Gear a Signature Move uses?
A: Signature Moves will always use at least one piece of adventuring gear. If it makes sense, could potentially be done with any piece of Signature Gear you have. For example, if you had two different types of weapons, and the signature move was a special overhead attack, you could potentially do it using either one.

Q: Can I benefit from using multiple pieces of Signature Gear during an action?
A: No. You can certainly use multiple pieces narratively if that makes sense, but you only gain the 1d6 benefit once per action.
Q: Can I use my adventuring gear to perform a Moves/Programs/Drone Move/Complex Form/Spells that is not one of my known moves?
A: Yes you may. In these scenarios, you may do anything appropriate with your known adventuring gear (e.g. cast a spell, using the listed effects guide) that is not on your list of known moves, and you would roll 2d6 dice to see how many successes are achieved. You may still benefit from buffs, or be hindered by debuffs on these rolls as normal.

Last edited by Bhelogan; Jun 26th, 2022 at 09:32 PM.
Old Jun 3rd, 2022, 12:38 PM
Besieged by deadlines

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11194
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Right now I'm wondering, for the character applications, is the name and title that we put down meant for the character's original name, or their runner name? Did I understand correctly that the title is supposed to be more descriptive than the character's runner identity?

Also, how canonically correct do our character concepts have to be? It's been a while since I've played the 6th world setting and even then my playgroup didn't really stick to the canon all too much.

Last edited by Mindsiege; Jun 3rd, 2022 at 01:31 PM.
Old Jun 3rd, 2022, 01:56 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsiege View Post
Right now I'm wondering, for the character applications, is the name and title that we put down meant for the character's original name, or their runner name? Did I understand correctly that the title is supposed to be more descriptive than the character's runner identity?

Also, how canonically correct do our character concepts have to be? It's been a while since I've played the 6th world setting and even then my playgroup didn't really stick to the canon all too much.
For names - the name your runner is known by for sure should be there. Their real name may or may not be, up to you.

Regarding 6th world canon - This even is Shadowrun themed, but it is not Shadowrun proper. We do not need to stick strictly to the SR cannon. It's more a framework for inspiration.

Last edited by Bhelogan; Jun 3rd, 2022 at 01:59 PM.
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 12:59 PM
Great Wyrm
Outplay 2018  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame GM 2021

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17510
jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear
What's the wiggle room on word count? I'm 21 words over at the moment. Will that be penalised? Should I prune those extra 21 words?
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 01:20 PM
A warm fuzzy goonie

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29269
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Will bonus points be awarded for rolling your CN and race in Round 0 like last year?
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 02:16 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbear View Post
What's the wiggle room on word count? I'm 21 words over at the moment. Will that be penalised? Should I prune those extra 21 words?
I would try to prune them down. TBD on how strict this will be, or impact on moving on. A slight overage won't prevent you from going through to Round 1, though may dock your score while going significantly over may be grounds for disqualification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDragoon View Post
Will bonus points be awarded for rolling your CN and race in Round 0 like last year?
Yes, there will be. Depending on how many applications we have, this may or may not help you advance. In general, if you have a character concept you want to develop, go for that rather than random rolls.
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 03:12 PM
Great Wyrm
Outplay 2018  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame GM 2021

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17510
jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear
Ok, trimmed down to 979 words. Character app is complete. So where will I receive feedback on whether the 3 powers I have invented are acceptable?
Old Jun 5th, 2022, 12:47 PM
Visibly Declining Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2806
PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck
Hello friends. I have a quick mechanics question.

Can characters attempt tasks with archetype gear outside of their "known" actions, rolling 2d6 (assuming no buffs). For example, could a "meat" character do some stunt with their enhancements other than a known move, or a Mage cast some spell with their spell focus other than their known spells, and roll two dice in the attempt?

Thanks.
Old Jun 5th, 2022, 03:43 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaHuck View Post
Hello friends. I have a quick mechanics question.

Can characters attempt tasks with archetype gear outside of their "known" actions, rolling 2d6 (assuming no buffs). For example, could a "meat" character do some stunt with their enhancements other than a known move, or a Mage cast some spell with their spell focus other than their known spells, and roll two dice in the attempt?

Thanks.
We allow you to use Adventuring Gear however you normally would. Last year, we limited you to cast spells that were in your lists of known spells (we did have cantrips, but those couldn't not provide any mechanical benefit, and never had you roll die). Let me run this by the judges though, and see what the overall decision is on it for this year's event.
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 11:30 AM
A warm fuzzy goonie

Tools
User Statistics
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
I have one more question for our esteemed judges regarding spirits/sprites. If we want to be able to summon/compile different versions will we need to create different named moves or could one generic summon/compile move cover that?
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 02:34 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDragoon View Post
I have one more question for our esteemed judges regarding spirits/sprites. If we want to be able to summon/compile different versions will we need to create different named moves or could one generic summon/compile move cover that?
This depends on their function (see the effects guide section of the system rules). One Spirit/Sprite could be used to heal as your move. If you want a separate summon/conjuring move for an attack, that would need to be a separate move.
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 02:42 PM
A warm fuzzy goonie

Tools
User Statistics
That makes sense, thanks. Just wanted to be double sure I understood correctly.
Old Jun 7th, 2022, 12:56 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 49275
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
Really wanted to come out of retirement to play this year, but I'll be gone the first week of the competition!

Good luck to all and may the dice be ever in your favor!
Old Jun 7th, 2022, 08:06 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16908
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
If we are rolling for CN and Race, should we do that in our application post, or do you have a separate thread where you'd like us to roll?

And just for clarification, I know you said this is Shadowrun-inspired, not SR proper, right? For me, I'm familiar with generic dystopian near-future cyberpunk, but I know next to nothing about official SR canon. Do I have the liberty to invent corporation names and location flavor for my backstory? Will it be looked on negatively if I contradict established SR canon?