Information Competition rules and rules queries for Outplay 2022 - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > Outplay Arena > Outplay 2022
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jun 30th, 2022, 01:49 PM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22201
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
Quote:
Every Runner has some basic gear. This includes a Commlink and a Weapon of your choice.
I assumed this was true and didn't include a commlink on my sheet figuring that it wasn't necessary. Hopefully that's not an issue?
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 03:45 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31091
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbear View Post
QUESTION: It looks like using 'non known moves' has the same chance as using adventuring gear. Is this intentional? Or is the intention for this to be a cumulative base for everything as in using adventuring gear would be 3d6, Known spells+ adventuring gear 4d6 and SM 5d6?
So, the answer here is yes. That is the intent. If I break down the moves (@Mindsiege did it pretty well)

- Any generic action that might fail, but is not using any of your adventuring gear - roll 1d6
- Any action that is using a piece of adventuring gear, but is not one of your known moves/programs/spells/etc - 2d6
- Any action that IS one of your known moves/programs/spells/etc 3d6 (These by default use at least one piece of your gear. They may use more, if applicable, but you don't get extra dice for it)
- Your signature moves/programs/spells/etc 4d6

So, for example, if your spellcasting focus is a staff, using it to crack open a watermelon, or cast an unknown spell would both be rolling 2d6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbear View Post
So if my CN is 3, I use my signature move and roll 4d6 and get 1,2,3,5 > I hit it out the park, and if I try to break someone's knee cap with my nunchucks (2d6) and roll 2,6 , (success but with set back) hit the guys knee and give him a nasty limp, but the nunchucks rebound and break my nose kind of thing?

These numbers for success will be moderated by penalties or bonuses given by the DM which basically increase or decrease the DC. So a THUG might be wearing padded armour and give a -1 to physical attacks so my 2d6=3,3 are moderated to a 2,2 and my nunchucks basically whack myself in the dingle dangle - or because my number is 3, this is basically a crit and ignore penalty modifiers? Or is 4 my new 'crit target' ie 4-1 = 3 which is my CN > 2 successes?

SO I realise there are a few areas where I am not certain if I understand how it works. Am I on the right track? Where did I get it wrong?

Thank you for the clarification or confirmation!!
I think you mostly get the idea here. A setback will be set by the GM (there are examples of this in last year's outplay, where there would be a penalty to all rolls until something was resolved, which would require X number of successes to overcome, or a penalty to just the next roll, etc, depending on how bad the setback was). When you have a penalty, it pushes your die result either up or down, depending on what you are trying to do, making it one point harder to succeed. Some people find it easier thinking about this as the CN changing, others as the dice roll changing, net result should be the same. For example, if you were rolling high with a CN of 3, and rolled a 4, but had a penalty of 1, then your end result is a 3. In that case, the penalty actually made your roll hit your CN, so it counts as two successes. There are some odd times when the penalty can make the end result be more successful than it would have otherwise, but generally speaking, it makes it harder. (In the previous example, without a penalty, only a roll of 1 or 2 would fail, but with the penalty, a 1, 2 or 3 would have failed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysolde View Post
I assumed this was true and didn't include a commlink on my sheet figuring that it wasn't necessary. Hopefully that's not an issue?
Yes, you have a comlink. It will have to be one of the standard-issue Crossing Companion commlinks though, instead of your chance to make it something fancy.

Last edited by Bhelogan; Jun 30th, 2022 at 03:52 PM.
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 01:25 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16908
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Quick question on judging: I noticed some of the feedback for Round 0 critiqued players for mistakes regarding official Shadowrun lore (things like timeline of Matrix crashes and such). Is it essential that we are well-versed in Shadowrun canon? Or are we ok assuming a system-agnostic setting that's inspired by Shadowrun? I know I've absolutely no prior experience with the official source material. I based my character more on general knowledge of dystopian cyberpunk worlds and what I was able to quickly glean by going through some of the references that Imveros posted. Am I going to have a problem in future rounds if I don't do some serious research?

Secondary question: Do we have an estimated timeline on when each of the coming Rounds will start and end? (and please forgive me if the information is already out there somewhere and I overlooked it)

Last edited by rhaiber; Jul 1st, 2022 at 01:27 PM.
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 01:53 PM
Here to help

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33628
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhaiber View Post
Secondary question: Do we have an estimated timeline on when each of the coming Rounds will start and end? (and please forgive me if the information is already out there somewhere and I overlooked it)
The timeline for the competition is at the bottom of the first post for this thread. I was personally searching for it last night to refresh my mind, Round 1 starts Monday (Jul 4)!

Old Jul 1st, 2022, 10:51 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Quote:
Quick question on judging: I noticed some of the feedback for Round 0 critiqued players for mistakes regarding official Shadowrun lore (things like timeline of Matrix crashes and such). Is it essential that we are well-versed in Shadowrun canon? Or are we ok assuming a system-agnostic setting that's inspired by Shadowrun? I know I've absolutely no prior experience with the official source material. I based my character more on general knowledge of dystopian cyberpunk worlds and what I was able to quickly glean by going through some of the references that Imveros posted. Am I going to have a problem in future rounds if I don't do some serious research?
We have a few Shadowrun experts in the judging panel who I am sure will be dropping lots of lore nuggets on those of us (myself included) who are not intimately familiar with the setting. So long as you are working within the framework of the story as it is presented, you shouldn't have any issues.
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 08:14 AM
Great Wyrm
Outplay 2018  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame GM 2021

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17510
jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear
My character concept was literally born from thinking 'How am I going to be able to participate having zero knowledge of the Shadowrunner setting and lore?' My answer to the dilemma was a character who has mostly lived a sheltered life but is an outcast within that life. So if I get things wrong, it's because Dwight has as little experience with the world of Shadowrunning as I do! Hopefully, following the framework presented, Dwight and I will be able to not make too much of a fool of ourselves!
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 04:03 PM
Visibly Declining Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2806
PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck
Hey . . . Are all the judges automatically included in secret texts? I'm going to assume they are not and include their names in the BB code until I (hopefully) hear otherwise.
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 04:53 PM
Besieged by deadlines

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11194
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaHuck View Post
Hey . . . Are all the judges automatically included in secret texts? I'm going to assume they are not and include their names in the BB code until I (hopefully) hear otherwise.
Considering that all of them are RPGX folder GMs for Outplay 2022, I'd assume that all of them are able to read any secreted content of your posts.

Last edited by Mindsiege; Jul 4th, 2022 at 04:54 PM.
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 09:31 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsiege View Post
Considering that all of them are RPGX folder GMs for Outplay 2022, I'd assume that all of them are able to read any secreted content of your posts.
This is correct. We can see everything, even if not specifically secreted to us.
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 10:42 AM
Royal Lion

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4685
Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83
I made a grievous error with Little Glitch that I'm only now seeing. Apparently, I did not identify a single one of her moves as a "signature move." Would it be possible for me to correct that in her signature for future posts?
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 04:39 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treble83 View Post
I made a grievous error with Little Glitch that I'm only now seeing. Apparently, I did not identify a single one of her moves as a "signature move." Would it be possible for me to correct that in her signature for future posts?
I should have caught this during mechanical review as well. Please select one as your signature move, and make sure it is marked in your stat block going forward.
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 11:39 AM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16908
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
2 quick questions:
  1. First to confirm, I see that when rolling with Bonus, as described in Imveros' GM update, we "subract one for rolling low/add one for rolling high." I feel like it was said somewhere that for the sake of simplicity in the dice-roller, we can treat bonus as changing our effective character number. Am I remembering that correctly?
  2. Second, and this one is more about the overall flow of OutPlay, how timey-wimey are we allowed to get? If I post an action and someone else wants to say their action took place before mine, can they just write that into the narrative as long as they avoid contradictions? Or are all posts considered to be resolved in the order they were submitted?

Last edited by rhaiber; Jul 6th, 2022 at 11:40 AM.
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 11:45 AM
Visibly Declining Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2806
PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck
Quote:
2 quick questions:
  1. First to confirm, I see that when rolling with Bonus, as described in Imveros' GM update, we "subract one for rolling low/add one for rolling high." I feel like it was said somewhere that for the sake of simplicity in the dice-roller, we can treat bonus as changing our effective character number. Am I remembering that correctly?
  2. Second, and this one is more about the overall flow of OutPlay, how timey-wimey are we allowed to get? If I post an action and someone else wants to say their action took place before mine, can they just write that into the narrative as long as they avoid contradictions? Or are all posts considered to be resolved in the order they were submitted?
I don't have any authority on this, but I do have a couple opinions:
'
1. Trying to negate other players posted posts with your post is not a good time.

2. I think play by post works better with each player's post allowed to have mini-flashbacks to describe everything that player character thinks and does between their last post and this, with the one rule that you shouldn't try to negate things in other players' posted posts.

Last edited by PapaHuck; Jul 6th, 2022 at 11:48 AM.
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 12:01 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50562
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Yes you may alter your CN if that's easier for you. It was about 50/50 in years past of people adding/subtracting and changing their CN

I only go post by post for time as it's easier for me. If you'd like to jump around, please call it out explicitly I'm the OOC. I'd asked for that in the last post (explicitly asking everyone to post which npc to approach) because I knew I'd be half asleep at 4am and mistakes would happen ~_~

Good luck and happy gaming everyone!!!

Last edited by Imveros; Jul 6th, 2022 at 12:01 PM.
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 12:06 PM
A warm fuzzy goonie

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29269
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
What if we were to separate flashbacks/precious interactions with a horizontal line? Would that help to keep things clear?