RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old May 24th, 2022, 10:13 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31091
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
The Stands 2022

OOC Thread for all Outplay discussions between fans, commentators, and participants.

(Opening Soon)

Last edited by Bhelogan; Jun 3rd, 2022 at 09:25 AM.
Old Jun 3rd, 2022, 09:25 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Outplay 2022 is now officially Open!
Old Jun 3rd, 2022, 10:41 AM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 48592
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Posting here since (at the time I'm typing) the OOC thread is still closed.

Thanks to everyone who has been working to prepare this and who is on-board to judge this year--there's obviously a lot of time that goes into this.

I'm sure you anticipated this question would come, so I feel it's fair to ask and was a bit surprised it wasn't addressed in one of the introductory posts or on the youtube discussion (which was a great overview of the world setting).

So here's the question ... what the heck?

Back in February there was an open survey of members about which Outplay system we wanted to see in 2022. Shadowrun got ... 6 votes ... dead last. So, clearly the community wasn't interested in a Shadowrun game. And yet, here we are--another Shadowrun theme game for the second time in the last 3 years.

Putting on Outplay is a huge time commitment, I get and respect that. I think it is entirely legitimate for the people putting in the time to say: "Hey, we're doing this, so this is what we're willing to do. Give it a try." Organizers certainly have a right to say: "Hey, we're putting on Shadowrun...sign up if you want to play!"

But if that's the case, let's be honest about it. Let's not poll the community and then, in effect, disregard a very clearly stated preference. That's a slap in the face. And back-dooring Shadowrun into Outplay by skinning it into the customized system is a bit dishonest.

I write this all from a genuine love for RPG Crossing and huge respect for all the people involved in setting up any game--and particularly a complicated tournament event like Outplay. I just feel like, amid all the preparation and roll-out, there's a crucial element that is missing, and that is acknowledging the community vote, acknowledging that when members are asked their opinion ... it matters, or perhaps just making the case that--even though that this isn't what the community voted for--there's a compelling reason why we're going with the least-popular world-setting.

Last edited by bananabadger; Jun 3rd, 2022 at 10:54 AM.
Old Jun 3rd, 2022, 11:57 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
@bananabadger - moved your post, didn't realize this was still closed.

For the record, the largest grabbing category was for a revision of The Outplay System used last year, and many of those votes included comments asking for a system other than the generic fantasy setting we used. In fact, many of the players voting for that were doing so instead of Shadowrun.

So yea, we don't have a fantasy-themed bracket this year. In years past that is all we have had. It is something different, sure. Would you feel different if we just listed this as a 'generic dystopian future' setting, instead of borrowing from an existing IP?

We are putting in (not all are available yet) a fair amount of resources for those who are primarily familiar with Fantasy settings, to be able to play this year without feeling like they are missing out on some needed knowledge. We did the same last year when we switched to a rules-light system, rather than the traditional rules-heavy ones used in the past.

Last edited by Bhelogan; Jun 3rd, 2022 at 11:59 AM.
Old Jun 3rd, 2022, 12:15 PM
Lanthanoid

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32529
Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelogan View Post
Would you feel different if we just listed this as a 'generic dystopian future' setting, instead of borrowing from an existing IP?
Yes.

I realize Imveros is a GM and not a judge, but consider this quote from his introduction:
Quote:
As a GM, I want to see creativity and I'd like you all to showcase just what makes Shadowrun so special.
You can link me to all the SR resources in the world between now and Round One, and I'm still going to be too inexperienced to pull that off well in a writing and roleplaying competition. The Matrix bit, as laid out in the Mechanics thread, is completely over my head, and I have no idea whether the entire concept is a dystopian future or an MMORPG. Maybe I'm too old and dumb to get it.

I'd still like to try and play this year, but yes, absolutely, "generic dystopian future" would have been easier for those of us who gravitate toward the usual fantasy stuff.

Last edited by Ytterbium; Jun 4th, 2022 at 05:49 AM.
Old Jun 3rd, 2022, 01:02 PM
Swords, not words!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33779
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelogan View Post
For the record, the largest grabbing category was for a revision of The Outplay System used last year, and many of those votes included comments asking for a system other than the generic fantasy setting we used. In fact, many of the players voting for that were doing so instead of Shadowrun.
Am I understanding correctly, that many of the votes that showed up on the poll for Outplay System 2.0 were actually votes to use Outplay System 2.0 specifically with the Shadowrun setting?

I am all cheers for the volunteers and totally support you ignoring the poll if what excites you guys is something different that you want us to get behind. I'm just trying to understand how the poll was used.
Old Jun 3rd, 2022, 01:52 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostcheerio View Post
Am I understanding correctly, that many of the votes that showed up on the poll for Outplay System 2.0 were actually votes to use Outplay System 2.0 specifically with the Shadowrun setting?

I am all cheers for the volunteers and totally support you ignoring the poll if what excites you guys is something different that you want us to get behind. I'm just trying to understand how the poll was used.
Yes, that was part of them.

Overall, I put up the voting thread without a thought about what direction we were going to take this year. While the typically d20 system got a lot of votes, the Outplay System used last year by far got the most. Given comments in the thread, and who was voting, I had the idea to take up the system to follow on the story of 2020, from the Shadowrun side. (We did the fantasy side bracket last year). So yes, the decision was heavily influenced by the public vote, but ultimately it came down to my decision on which direction we would take this year, sparked by a specific piece of feedback. (This is almost the same scenario that sparked the creation of the Outplay system in 2021).

So, I fully understand those that are disappointed that we don't have a fantasy bracket this year. I understand those who were disappointed that we didn't have a non-fantasy setting last year, and those who are disappointed that we are not using any of the traditional d20 systems again. In the end, the decision was mine, and I took it the direction I felt inspired to go, to explore and develop on events of past years.

If people feel that this needs further discussion, we should probably open another thread for it, and leave the OOC thread here for discussion about the event that we have this year. Feel free to shoot me a PM about it as well. I do hope people will take this chance to try something new, and enjoy Outplay for what it is.
Old Jun 3rd, 2022, 02:53 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50562
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Here's a quick video from a trusted Shadowrun provider with ten things that make Shadowrun Shadowrun.

I'll also mention that this is a best player competion not a best Shadowruner competition. Working together, writing engaging well formatted posts, and watching your spelling and grammar will still win you the day. Sure, tight shadow lore might break the tie, but no more than deep knowledge of D&D and Pathfinder rules gave a leg up in last competition.

Looking forward to what you all come up with

Good luck and happy gaming everyone!!!
Old Jun 3rd, 2022, 06:28 PM
Highly Reportable

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12407
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytterbium View Post
I'd still like to try and play this year, but yes, absolutely, "generic dystopian future" would have been easier for those of us who gravitate toward the usual fantasy stuff.

Thanks to all for the work you've put in on this. I have no doubt it'll be really cool even if I don't understand much of it.
Generic Fantasy meets Generic Dystopian Future is pretty much what Shadowrun amounts to; If there are any questions we not only have the podcast episode with Imveros giving a run-down on the setting, but also an active and friendly community of Shadowrun regulars who are more than happy to give you a run-down and discuss anything regarding the setting over here on RPGX.
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 01:10 AM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24584
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Hoping in to say hello.

Ah, I forgot about that poll. Yeah, I can see the whole "what the heck" thing. We might want to address that somewhere how Shadowrun *the system* lost the vote but Shadowrun *the vibe* sort of won. If we could go back in time and redo it we probably should have come up with something else but at this point we just GM Bomb and roll with it.
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 08:16 AM
Great Wyrm
Outplay 2018  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame GM 2021

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17510
jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear
I'm interested in participating this year. I do resonate with Ytterbium's comment with regards to feeling the lack of knowledge and expertise around the Shadowrun setting. I guess I'm wondering if I can make -ish up in my backstory like the names of the Big Ten's CEOs or do I need to be familiar with setting lore? Can I wangle my way around Shadowrun specific concepts with 'that feels like it fits a generic dystopian future' jive or will me pulling stuff out my behind that goes against lore be jarring?

Anyways, brain is on the boiler. I'll check out the video linked by Imveros.

EDIT: I saw the comment by Bhelogan in the information thread: Shadowrun theme not Shadowrun proper. I feel that answers my question and quells my misgivings. I feel confident pulling stuff out of my digestive system ejector tube now! Let's go!

Last edited by jbear; Jun 4th, 2022 at 08:54 AM.
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 10:40 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbear View Post
EDIT: I saw the comment by Bhelogan in the information thread: Shadowrun theme not Shadowrun proper. I feel that answers my question and quells my misgivings. I feel confident pulling stuff out of my digestive system ejector tube now! Let's go!
I'm glad that helped! Also, at the bottom of the System thread, there are links to a conversation I recorded with Imveros, where I pick his brain on the setting and should give enough insight to not feel lost in this year's Outplay. You can listen to it on the RPGX Podcast, or on the YouTube link.
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 07:44 AM
Literal Worm
Outplay 2021

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11490
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
wait is it that time already? but where did the year... *shakes head* nevermind, ay?

personally I'm hyped to step out of the generic fantasy world and get to savor the flavor of shadowrun without having to... you know... shadowrun. I do think rewording to 'cyberpunk future/ distopyian future' is a good shout though, I can understand why some people might be feeling salty.

that said, I barely have the energy to keep up with my ONE SINGLE game at the minute, so probably end up passing this year... on the other hand... mmmm, punishment... double badge shinneeyyy.....

edit: no seriously, someone should probably shake me aggressively if I try to enter.

eitherway, everyone have a blast! <3

Last edited by Wishkamon; Jun 6th, 2022 at 08:03 AM.
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 08:02 AM
The little chicks go peep

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19222
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
You should totally look after yourself first and foremost, Wish.

But you should totally do it.

RyuutamaHold Back the NightWanderhome [OPEN RECRUITMENT]
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 03:47 PM
Literal Worm
Outplay 2021

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11490
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
Ty Satsuma!

Aww, and you're running the most adorable cheery sounding open recruitment game too!

AND there's a story contest. Mega FOMO moment, wishing my brain was in a different place, but such is the way of the word I suppose, the seasons will change!

Are you throwing in your hat this year?