Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame GM 2021

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17510
jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imveros View Post
Post is up, the next post will be about the same time tomorrow! Feel free to ask me any questions you may have either here or via PM
"All future posts this round should include a relevant skill check of your choice (example, Intimidation, Etiquette, etc.) This is The Meet round, so all skills should fall under that category, or have a valid justification for why they fit. No skill should be used more than twice during the week and judges are looking for creativity."

I think I know more or less what the intention is here. I'm just not certain of the mechanics. I don't recall there being any specific mention of skills in the rules, so I think the intention is using social-type RPG skills (equivalent of persuasion, intimidation and deception in D&D).

I think because skills aren't specified anywhere they fall under the 2d6 blanket which seems to be the minimum dice rolled?

I could perhaps modify this to a higher roll if I link the skill check to a move/signature move with a narrative that makes sense?
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 09:39 AM
Besieged by deadlines

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11194
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
The minimum dice rolled is 1d6. But for any social tasks, you can always use your commlink as an AG, which makes it 2d6.

The skills that Imveros mentions here are an hommage to Shadowrun, but naturally they don't exist within the Outplay system. So they are just examples of which kind of intent you might attempt to pursue with your Outplay Roll.

Last edited by Mindsiege; Jul 5th, 2022 at 09:42 AM.
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 09:59 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50562
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
I apologize, that is a copy paste error that wasnt caught during revisions.

Please just try and use your existing powers/moves/signature equipment and say they're social skills. IE build a dice pool with a combat feature and say it's intimidate as you brandish the weapon. Or use an illusion to present an appealing front and say it's persuasion etc

Good luck and happy gaming everyone!!!
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 10:10 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
And a reminder to my matrix runners, that everything is wireless. Use that to build your "social pools"

I mentioned in the podcast that everything's from comlinks to underwear have wireless functionality so get creative

Old Jul 5th, 2022, 12:00 PM
Besieged by deadlines

Tools
User Statistics
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
FYI, Kodoku is going to approach Siri, Glitch and Door as they are standing together. I'm going to buff them to each receive 1 extra Outplay Dice for a roll of their choice during this week, and then I'll approach the dwarf to set the three ladies to walk up to woo and charm him. Feel free to do with the buff whatever suits you, but at least that's Kodoku's intent.

@edit:
I'll have my post up in a bit.

Last edited by Mindsiege; Jul 5th, 2022 at 12:00 PM.
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 12:30 PM
Great Wyrm
Outplay 2018  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame GM 2021

Tools
User Statistics
I believe Dwight successfully placed a Debuff on the Dwarf, hopefully making it easier for others to extract the information while Dwight distracts him. (Sorry Mindsiege. The tone of Dwight's distraction doesn't align with your 'Charlie's Angels' intention, but hopefully, it still works out! I didn't read your ooc post before posting - I've been working on my post on another thread so that I don't have to worry about the time pressure element)

Not sure if there are such things as opposed rolls (and the dwarf loses a dice) or if we have to acquire a certain number of successes and the debuff decreases the number required by 1. But hopefully Dwight was accidentally useful!

Last edited by jbear; Jul 5th, 2022 at 12:32 PM.
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 01:17 PM
Besieged by deadlines

Tools
User Statistics
@jbear:
Utterly understandable, no worries! I added a quick recognition of Dwight's actions at the end of the post and I think it makes for a fun dynamic. I think both courses of actions can coexist and make sense within the narrative.

Also, I would agree that the debuff should allow any of the deckers to do something with it, that's a great angle!

PS: Thanks for calling it 'Charlie's Angels', that was kind of spooking in my head as well.
Though I'm sure the gals will be able to make use of some extra spunk in their own varied ways. Kodoku's buff is highly versatile.

@rhaiber:
I really wanted Kodoku to react a bit more to Tw1tcH's antics, but I am struggling with my word count already! Considering that there is 0 content in my post that I would want to cut (if I was a better writer I could maybe slim it a little), I figure that I'll have to delay having a bit more interaction between our characters, though I'm really looking forward to it. It reminds me a bit of a similar dynamic of another Admittedly, Xandrir has more redeemable qualities than Kodoku will ever have, from my point of view at least. And Tw1tcH is a lot less naive than Ginnifer was. pair of characters which we never were able to fully explore together in the past.

Last edited by Mindsiege; Jul 5th, 2022 at 01:56 PM.
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 02:10 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treble83 View Post
I made a grievous error with Little Glitch that I'm only now seeing. Apparently, I did not identify a single one of her moves as a "signature move." Would it be possible for me to correct that in her signature for future posts?
That's fine, it's on us as well for not noticing that during mechanical review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbear View Post
Not sure if there are such things as opposed rolls (and the dwarf loses a dice) or if we have to acquire a certain number of successes and the debuff decreases the number required by 1. But hopefully Dwight was accidentally useful!

The players are the only ones that ever roll.

Debuffs will either add modifiers to the scene, change the landscape (literally or metaphorically) or cause NPCs to behave contrary to their planned behavior based on both the power's wording and the number of successes. The nice part about rules light systems is that it lets you have more creative freedom, both for the players and the GM.

TLDR, your score will be based on the number of successes rolled and then I'll do something dramatic with what you've given me to work with

Old Jul 5th, 2022, 02:20 PM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 48592
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Ok ... I'll say it since I don't have a dog in the fight ...
That most recent post seemed less "Charlie's Angels / extra spunk" and more on the verge of date-rape drug to me.
I realize we all have varying standards of "what's just not cool" .. but I think I'm rooting for non Bill Cosby characters from this point on.
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 02:22 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16908
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbear View Post
I believe Dwight successfully placed a Debuff on the Dwarf, hopefully making it easier for others to extract the information while Dwight distracts him. (Sorry Mindsiege. The tone of Dwight's distraction doesn't align with your 'Charlie's Angels' intention, but hopefully, it still works out! I didn't read your ooc post before posting - I've been working on my post on another thread so that I don't have to worry about the time pressure element)

For what it's worth, I totally get what you were going for, and that has almost nothing to do with the fact that I was halfway through drafting a post where Tw1tcH was going to employ a strategy using her NanoHex Gremlins on the dwarf in a surprisingly similar way before I refreshed and saw your post about how Dwight used his NanoVirus - a post I am now scrapping entirely while I think of something different and original ... yeah, it has nothing to do with that at all.
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 02:39 PM
Besieged by deadlines

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabadger View Post
Ok ... I'll say it since I don't have a dog in the fight ...
That most recent post seemed less "Charlie's Angels / extra spunk" and more on the verge of date-rape drug to me.
I realize we all have varying standards of "what's just not cool" .. but I think I'm rooting for non Bill Cosby characters from this point on.
That's not the effect I'm going for at all!!

The buff is a transfer of spiritual energy and I imagined that although it's a magical effect, as it's able to be used by the player that receives the buff for any task they choose it would be noticeable to them that they are enhanced across the board.

If you want to read it weirdly like that, I guess I can see the sick interpretation that you've arrived at, but please, maybe don't read it like that??! I guess you should probably ask for consent before you give somebody magical energy that puts them into an altered state, but at the time my character's actions appeared innocent enough to me to not consider putting that into the narration. I was trying to hasten the scene along and reduce my word count. The intent was obviously to be beneficial. If I was allowed to edit outside of the time window, I would easily add a small "May I?" and then I imagine which player doesn't want that extra Outplay dice?

I hate that we're now looking at it the way as you've explained the scene. That certainly wasn't what I was going for.

@edit:
To be clear, there isn't meant to be any sexual innuendo in that scene. Kodoku is entirely asexual. I'm writing him as 'he', but he's an insect and doesn't care about any of that.

@2nd edit:
I don't know how to recover from this...... I am greatly upset!

@3nd edit:
It's literally in the narration!! All this was supposed to be was a literal pat on the shoulder, and then a description that they feel boosted. What the heck!!

Last edited by Mindsiege; Jul 5th, 2022 at 02:50 PM.
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 02:42 PM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 48592
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Yeah, "I guess you should probably ask for consent"
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 02:51 PM
Great Wyrm
Outplay 2018  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame GM 2021

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhaiber View Post
For what it's worth, I totally get what you were going for, and that has almost nothing to do with the fact that I was halfway through drafting a post where Tw1tcH was going to employ a strategy using her NanoHex Gremlins on the dwarf in a surprisingly similar way before I refreshed and saw your post about how Dwight used his NanoVirus - a post I am now scrapping entirely while I think of something different and original ... yeah, it has nothing to do with that at all.
Aww... shucks. I'm sorry Is there anyway that Dwight's accidental touch caused a breach that Tw1tch spots and sends in her Gremlins could get into and extract the information? Like a combo?
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 02:59 PM
#Bard4Life

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30744
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
From the peanut gallery: I am SO here for a Tw1tch/Dwight power move consortium. I will make a flag for that and wave it.

@mindsiege, to go to three female PCs and "enhance" them to use "their charms" on a captive is uncomfortable. I was little eye-bugged (pun intended) about it as well, but hesitated to say so because I am "out" as female on the site and when women object to this sort of thing it's often seen as just another shrill feminist being hypersensitive. I do think you needed consent from the PLAYERS, and I sure hope you talked to them about it in DMs before you offered such a specific buff that you call flexible but that your rp and talk in here in the stands pushes in a certain direction.

Join RPGX Book Club
Current read: LotR Trilogy

Last edited by Fillyjonk; Jul 5th, 2022 at 03:01 PM.
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 03:00 PM
Besieged by deadlines

Tools
User Statistics
@Banabadger:
This wasn't that kind of scene. Stop acting like it was. I understand what you're getting at, but your accusations are both vile and don't match any intent involved. To me, what you're suggesting is a stretch, and I don't appreciate it. This was meant to be an act of teamwork, not anything predatorial. The last time your character cast a buff on his teammates he didn't ask for permission either. You're making this into something that it doesn't have to be!