RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jun 11th, 2022, 04:04 PM
Besieged by deadlines

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11194
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
No need to look at mine for now. I've decided to switch to a different concept and to make rolls to find a concept that's originally thought up for exactly this system (my previous idea was too far rooted in a Shadowrun character I once wanted to play).

Last edited by Mindsiege; Jun 11th, 2022 at 04:04 PM.
Old Jun 11th, 2022, 05:32 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2604
NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelogan View Post
Adepts use their magic to enhance their physical strengths, right? I suppose you could skin that as a Meat character, and then use the 'magic' instead of enhancements to get the same type of effect.

Known Move is something specific you do. For example, a signature attack, or a call to magical bees that swarm in and deliver delicious honey that causes your body to rejuvenate. The Gear is just what is used to perform that move. It may be easier to think of what 'moves' you want first, then figure out what gear would be easier to make that possible.
Noted on the first, it's a possible concept I'm working with, and thank you for the input on the second: I took it very strictly from the opposite direction, looking at the cyberware from the SR sourcebooks and I was indeed struggling, while now it seems I'm going somewhere.

However, I got another question!

How are SR cosmetic enhancements considered? As in: if it's just cosmetic in my build (es. Eyes only looking good and not helping in low light, or ears without any added hearing), is it counted as enhancements or not?
Old Jun 11th, 2022, 09:39 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31091
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightDreamer09 View Post
How are SR cosmetic enhancements considered? As in: if it's just cosmetic in my build (es. Eyes only looking good and not helping in low light, or ears without any added hearing), is it counted as enhancements or not?

If it is cosmetics, it's fine. Just part of your character 'fluff'. They just can't be used to gain any mechanical advantage when making rolls.
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 12:25 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelogan View Post
If it is cosmetics, it's fine. Just part of your character 'fluff'. They just can't be used to gain any mechanical advantage when making rolls.
Thank you; now to decide which concept (out of 2) to go is the hard question XD Why I had to end up with 2 "good" concepts...?! (and I excluded a third not because it's not interesting, quite the opposite, but because I have to cut things down somewhere) XD

Last edited by NightDreamer09; Jun 12th, 2022 at 12:33 PM.
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 01:17 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2020
Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite
This Outplay event... it's enticing and kinda scary at the same time.
I keep coming back to look at the forum, thinking about a character, then wavering about whether or not to apply.
(double-checks deadline)
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 07:35 AM
Here to help

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33628
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
I keep coming back to look at the forum, thinking about a character, then wavering about whether or not to apply.
(double-checks deadline)
Go for it! Think up a fun insane character you normally would never get the chance to play and run with it! If you realize its too much then you can bow out, you at least gave it a go!
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 09:08 AM
Besieged by deadlines

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11194
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
@Sprite:
I second what Retry said. I view it like this: This is a competition about my hobby and basically a one-shot that gives you the opportunity to play together with a bunch of very invested players. Getting critiqued by the judges can be fairly uncomfortable, I admit, but if you don't emotionally attach yourself to the results of the competition and just join to play, then there is pretty much nothing to lose (maybe a little ego bruising) and a lot of fun to gain. Also, getting judged will give you feedback on your writing which will enable you to advance your skills in that direction. Even if you don't aspire to be a great writer (if you are like me and just do this for the RP), then this is still a great opportunity to RP with fresh concepts in an environment that you wouldn't usually get to experience to play in. So right now, for me the only daunting part is the time commitment and how it will take me away from all the other games that I enjoy playing in. But Outplay is basically a once-a-year occurrence, so why not make that room?

Last edited by Mindsiege; Jun 13th, 2022 at 09:10 AM.
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 02:19 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50562
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
(double-checks deadline)
I highly recommend site competitions if you have the time for them. They may be a little frantic, but they are always a blast and you get a great community vibe from them, especially Outplay as it's collaborative storytelling, unlike other competitions where you're all by your lonesome!

Good luck and happy gaming everyone!!!
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 04:25 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2020
Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite
@Retry and @Mindsiege and @Imveros

Thank you for your insights!

I really like the collaborative story-telling aspect of text-based rpg, so thinking of the event as a cool one-shot with the opportunity to write with other committed players appeals to me. Even if I don't make it past round zero, it sounds like an interesting challenge. I've had my writing critiqued before (though not anything I wrote in less than 24 hours), so I know I just need to remind myself that it's my writing, not ME that's being critiqued.

So yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and apply.
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 04:42 PM
A warm fuzzy goonie

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29269
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
I would encourage anyone lurking or hesitating to go ahead and jump in. As others have mentioned, it really is a lot of fun.

I was scared two years ago when I only knew the basic concepts of Shadowrun but decided to just go for it. I learned so much about roleplaying, storytelling, and my writing but also, I got to play with a bunch of fantastic writers and players that I may never have without the competition. For me, it's more of a contest with myself from one year ago rather than playing against my fellow RPGXers.

The true prize of Outplay isn't the dope badge but the friends we make along the way!

Last edited by AnotherDragoon; Jun 13th, 2022 at 04:43 PM.
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 11:24 AM
Literal Worm
Outplay 2021

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11490
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
Could not agree more with what's already been said and want to add my encouragement for those who are on the fence. There's a lot to gain an nothing to loose! it can get quite intense (remember it's 1 post a day, every other week of the competition) but worth it if you can find time!
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 03:13 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I would like a first pass of review of my application, if possible.
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 03:36 PM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22201
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
Well this is the first time I've applied to Outplay. Can I do any better than I did in Iron DM? Maybe...
Old Jun 15th, 2022, 09:36 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
I have some preliminary feedback notes on mechanics that I am just waiting on some of our more seasoned SR folk to chime in on before sending.
Old Jun 18th, 2022, 02:32 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
And PMs send where there were questions or issues on mechanics. If you didn't get one, either you are good, or you haven't finished that part of your application yet.