RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jul 1st, 2022, 06:35 PM
Besieged by deadlines

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11194
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
@NightDreamer09:
For what it's worth, I really felt it shine through that your character application was a very inspired draft that didn't find the time to get fully fleshed out. Even though the feedback probably hurt and was discouraging, I was looking forward to seeing Yurei in play. I think there are two sides to the Outplay experience. Getting to play and then getting judged. Personally, I'm very much in this for the former and secondarily for the latter. If you feel that the character wouldn't be fun to play, then it's probably all right not to do it. If you've only lost the desire to play the character because the feedback was discouraging, I would want to encourage you to maybe play the first round after all. Because personally, to me the character looks like it would be a lot of fun to experience. I know that this is also a competition and winning is a good ambition to have, but I would like to inspire you to reconsider your participation because winning isn't the only meaningful experience that you would be able to take away from this adventure.

In the end, your opinion and your enjoyment are what will matter in regard to making this a worthwhile experience. But for what it's worth, I would certainly enjoy playing with you for as long as we can stay in the tournament. And hey, my concept also isn't primed for winning. I just want to have fun playing a concept that otherwise would have never seen the time of day. And even if some of the judgment will sting, some of it will also be serviceable in making you a better writer in the future. Whatever you decide, don't be too disappointed about having applied. I know for a fact that there are multiple people that are thinking well of you for having been brave enough to put yourself forward, even if not all circumstances aligned for the most favourable outcome.

Last edited by Mindsiege; Jul 1st, 2022 at 07:13 PM.
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 07:06 PM
Swords, not words!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33779
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Sorry to hear that, NightDreamer. I thought her “stillness” enhancement was cool and an unusual aspect. I was looking forward to watching it play out for her.

I hope you don’t take the negative judgments too seriously but I understand how it’s hard not to when you’re feeling your way. This is the third year I have been reading Outplay feedback and it seems like the judging is always varied. Some comments are sweet and supportive and encouraging, and some are dismissive and arrogant. It’s perfectly valid to say “Hey, this is not for me, and I’m out” but please don’t be hurt or think that you are the only one. It’s not your fault or the fault of what you wrote. It’s just the nature of the beast.
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 09:51 PM
Visibly Declining Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2806
PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck
Enjoy your other stuff you do instead, NightDreamer09.
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 12:15 AM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 48592
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Hey, NightDreamer09!

There is nothing to be ashamed of or to apologize for in pulling out of the game.

It was GirlplayA wise gamer once posted on this site that Outplay and competition tournaments similar to this go against the core value of roleplaying games as collaborative experiences. I don't entirely agree with that, if for no other reason than the history of D&D and early roleplaying games is so rooted in competitive play tournaments. But, as the game has evolved, so too has the approach. Contemporary games are more collaborative, are more rooted in building on one another's posts, and much less about beating other players to the shiny object(s) laid down by the GM. So, maybe this type of game has outgrown its worth for many players, and more specifically, maybe it simply isn't your cup of tea. If that's the case, then I think it is great you recognized this early on and had the courage to act on it.

But I also see, for example, that you submitted a delightful beachside-themed short story for the summer writing competition, so I suspect that maybe it isn't the concept of competitive events on RPG Crossing, but particularities of this one (and how it was being judged), which turned you off. If that's the case, then you can take heart in looking (and finding!) grammatical errors in any comment that dings you for poor grammar (it's a universal law, and it held true this round), and you can wonder why even some well-meant and supportive comments come with a strong whiff of classism.

BUT I'd encourage you to remember that all judging is subjective and imperfect--it would be the same if you or I did it. While I feel some of the comments in Round Zero should have been more constructive, it's important to remember that with any critique or evaluation, you can dismiss what deserves to be dismissed, return to and reread the comments that might sting but contain some truths, and make yourself better (or simply more competitive) from some insightful remarks.

Outplay isn't about finding the best person to add to your tabletop or PbP game; it isn't about finding the best creator of interesting characters; it isn't about finding the best player despite whatever rolls might show up. It's a game based on the luck of the rolls and the spoken and unspoken standards of a given set of judges. If that tickles your fancy, then I encourage you to stay in and give it a go for the next round--treat us to the exploits of your specter! But if you have decided that this isn't for you, then don't doubt yourself ... and please don't allow this experience to spoil the rest of the RPG experience for you. After all, it sounds like, after the ice-cream and friendly banter, there might be revenge match in the beach or football? or handball? or some other sportball game I didn't recognize?volleyball game to read about!

Last edited by bananabadger; Jul 2nd, 2022 at 02:09 AM.
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 01:22 AM
Lord of Clams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1452
ClamLord ClamLord ClamLord ClamLord ClamLord ClamLord ClamLord ClamLord ClamLord ClamLord
Read through all the critiques of Topper and all of the criticism is valid. Was a busy week at the time of application so I didn't get to tighten the loose screws. Perhaps the whole thing is a loose screw, or perhaps it's the greatest character I ever made. What I do know is it's definitely rushed and definitely not my best work. However, this doesn't discourage me as I have plenty of room to flesh him out in the coming days through play. On to round one!
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 01:52 AM
Let's Be Strange

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6296
Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec
Good luck to all in this upcoming round. Thanks to the judges for judging judiciously. Let's see if we can make it through the first week. Everybody kick butts and — most importantly — have a minimally stressful good time!
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 07:34 AM
#Bard4Life

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30744
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
Hey nightdreamer..

I’m in the keys on a scuba boat heading for a wreck dive wheeeee

So please forgive how horribly this is going to be typed LOL. The ocean is feeling “sporty” today. A lot of bounce is happening.

I just wanted to agree with literally everything badger just said to you. I liked your app, and I like a character that has room to grow as events unfold. I want to encourage you to stay and play, OR encourage you to llama-bounce joyfully away with zero regrets: which ever will do you more good and bring you more joy.

Join RPGX Book Club
Current read: LotR Trilogy
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 08:20 AM
Great Wyrm
Outplay 2018  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame GM 2021

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17510
jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillyjonk View Post
I’m in the keys on a scuba boat heading for a wreck dive wheeeee
An adventurer in real life too! Awesome!
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 02:32 PM
Great Wyrm
Outplay 2018  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame GM 2021

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17510
jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear
Going to use this space to prep an improved stat block format as feedback indicates this was a weak and confusing aspect of my character app.

Last edited by jbear; Jul 2nd, 2022 at 06:09 PM.
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 02:45 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2604
NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09
The decision is definitive.

Judging only highlighted what I knew already; the option to drop out before round 1 was on the table before the judging results came out. Things didn't align, other things came and I prefer to focus on them than an Outplay that is posed to be a stress.
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 03:02 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2020
Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite
Is there a preferred stat block format?
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 07:29 PM
Besieged by deadlines

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11194
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightDreamer09 View Post
The decision is definitive.

Judging only highlighted what I knew already; the option to drop out before round 1 was on the table before the judging results came out. Things didn't align, other things came and I prefer to focus on them than an Outplay that is posed to be a stress.
I hope that you'll have a good time with any of your other projects, IRL or gaming!
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 07:49 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31091
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Just a reminder, even though it is a holiday in the US, the competition begins tomorrow. Working with Imveros to see if we can get the opening post up late tonight.
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 10:31 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50562
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
And We're Live!

Good luck and happy gaming everyone!!!
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 10:48 PM
A warm fuzzy goonie

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29269
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Here come the fireworks!