Game Thread Round 4 - AnotherDragoon, Bushi - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > Outplay Arena > Outplay 2022
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2022, 01:08 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50562
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Round 4 - AnotherDragoon, Bushi

Outplay 2022
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
Thunder crashes, waves roar, and the runners' skin tingle as wild magic blasts the area as Amari and Legion find themselves in the water. The storm rages as the cacophony of nature's and magic's furry makes it impossible to focus on the how, when, and why of their watery predicament. They hurdle round and round, faster and faster, drawn to the bottom of the ocean, barely able to keep a full breath of air between the two of them. Every nerve in their body tingles as they reach the event horizon.

The duo stretch, compact, boil, freeze, evaporate and condense, all in an instant before they feel almost metahuman again. The runners look around, desperate to make out anything in the perpetual twilight they find themselves in. A faint blue light draws their attention to a mountain in the distance. With a point of reference to lock on to, the landscape focuses. Shattered cargo containers dot the area, and lines of
normal image without text wrap
Those claws could tear a tank apart!
cave demons carry objects from them toward the blue light like swarms of ants.

Legion panics as he feels the complete lack of Matrix access. Bad signal, low signal, blasts of noise, sure, but never zero access. He calms as he feels a presence on each leg. He musters the courage to look down, noting himself clad as his Matrix Avatar with his machine and fault sprites waddling around his legs in the flesh, looking up to him for direction. Just where the ghost's name were they?!

Amari looks around, finding that whatever she looks at comes into focus. She glances at one of the demons, focuses, and her vision zooms as if looking through binoculars. The creature holds a human in each pincer and scuttles sideways toward the mountain. She thinks of finding higher ground for a better vantage, instantly finding herself on a nearby ridge with a different angle on the kidnapping demon. Never split the party! She thinks, finding herself back where she started. Just where the ghost's name were they?!

The pair look at each other, noting one last concerning feature of this place. They both seem to be slowly evaporating. Pixels slowly leak off Legion's shoulders as a fine mist rises and dissipates from Amari's head. The mist and pixels slowly float toward the sky into a swirling mix of clouds. That can't be good. They both think in unison as they feel a shockwave in their breastbones. Not quite the thrum of loud noise, not quite like the boom of an explosion, it feels almost like being buffeted by pure emotion, with its epicenter the glowing mountain in the distance.

OODMWelcome to the Final Round of Outplay 2022!

This is a freestyle roleplay round, with no mechanics involved. The judges' votes alone will determine the winner. Having said that, you are free to use any skills/spells/abilities that you like throughout the round. Just remember, that the success or failure of these rolls will not be judged in a mechanical manner the way they have in previous rounds. Which tells a better story, massive success? Massive failure? Mixed success? It's up to you, not the dice this round!!

To explicitly state what I alluded to in the post, thought is action here. Just because you aren't in the matrix doesn't mean you can't take matrix actions or behave as if this is the matrix. Also, feel free to crank all your moves to 11, I wont tell anyonemaybe even 12, as you feel yourselves bursting with raw power.

It's your last chance to show us what you've got!!!

Good luck and happy gaming everyone!!!

Last edited by Imveros; Aug 15th, 2022 at 06:11 AM.
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 06:56 PM
Juvenile Dragon
Outplay 2022

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1879
Bushi Bushi Bushi Bushi Bushi Bushi Bushi Bushi Bushi Bushi Bushi
Snapped
right-aligned image

Thoughts ricochet in Amari’s brain. Could this be some kind of final vision? Was she a goner? Probably not, it wasn’t like her life was flashing before her eyes, or whatever people say is supposed to happen. Rather, the only flashing she could see was a blue light off in the distance. More so, crabs collecting rubble, rather people, marching towards the blooming aura like moths to a lamp.

But there was even more going on. Amari’s situational awareness training started to settle in, as the girl realized her and Legion’s bodies slowly disintegrating second by second. Looking down at her hand, slowly turning to dust, she let out a passing comment.

“I don’t feel so good, Mr. Legion.”

No, that wasn’t right. She didn’t feel not good, she actually felt fine. Except for the strange sensation coming from her GG suit. Somehow, whatever electromagnetic radiation in the area seemed to boost her suit’s potential. Legion also seemed to receive some strange boost to his power, considering his matrix-like abilities were carrying over to reality- if you could call this reality, that is.

Whatever was going on, the blue light would be the epicenter. However, much time the duo had left before their bodies were gone was uncertain. They needed to reach the light; it has to be the key. But that leaves one question- how would they get there? Amari had already figured it out.

A blinding pulse released from the girl’s feet, as she ran lightning-speed towards a cave-demon. Her speed was amplified by the GG suit’s vibrations. Running alongside a crab-like creature, a good old rodeo-hijacking maneuver would giver her just the ride she needed. Of course, she could have just ran the whole way there, but such an action would take up a lot of valuable energy- energy that may be needed to fight.

After hopping up onto the crab, Amari utilized her LIGHT-BENDING to change the scene in front of the monster. If the crab-demon followed the light, she could just position the light in any direction she wanted- effectively steering the beast.

“Alright Legion, I called an UBER!”

OOC
(All artwork is made/edited by me)

Old Aug 16th, 2022, 12:08 AM
A warm fuzzy goonie

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29269
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Broken skies, shattered dreams
right-aligned image

Franky screamed, or at least it felt like he did, but no sound escaped his mouth. It was more like the scream was rushing back inside and rattling around in his head. They were in the icy water, or so he thought, but his bones were electricity, and his blood was on fire. Colors from an impossible spectrum filled his eyes and tasted like minerals as the ship and everything on it swirled in a frenzied sea towards an unknown fate. The air turned to razorwire in his lungs until finally, there was a pop, and he was suddenly Elsewhere.

So this was it; that was how he met his end. Franky sighed; it was a pretty good run, all things considered. He'd experienced more in his life than most in the sprawl could even dream of. Only, he didn't feel dead. He was breathing, after all. The technomancer reached out for the comfort of the matrix, like a familiar blanket, but found nothing. No resonance, no weak signal, not even a wall of noise blocking him from the Emerald City Grid. A wave of dread crashed down on him as he began to question his status among the living once again.

Panic gripped Franky as his eyes adjusted to the near-light, and he saw the lines of cave demons marching towards a blue glow near a mountain. The giant crustaceans were scavenging the shipping containers and other things. He shivered and whispered, "A weapon to surpass Metal Gear."

A cursory glance at himself revealed Legion had manifested as his Matrix Avatar. That's new. His sprites were with him too. Weird, he thought, just where the frag are we? He scanned for anything familiar and spotted Amari. Relief washed over him even as the smol assassin said, I don't feel so good, Mr. Legion. He let a chuckle slip out and replied, Me neither, but I think that means we still got a shot at this."

Legion frantically looked around; weren't there more of them? On the ship, there were four. "Ghost! Glitch!" Grief flooded in to replace the relief; what about that promised drink or the high score? Maybe they stayed on the ship or made it to the island, he told himself and wanted to believe it. The truth was, they weren't here. He looked back at his last remaining companion and noticed something a little concerning; she was evaporating. A fine mist was trailing up into swirling clouds overhead.

That was when he felt the pull in his chest. A thrum or pulse of intense emotion pulled him towards the blue light of the distant mountain. Legion could see that Amari felt it too, as she was running along with one of the massive crabs.

Next thing he knew, she was on top of one and calling down, Alright Legion, I called an UBER! The Ork shook off his dark mood and started dashing toward the crustacean. Except, something amazing happened. He was thinking about running up one of the giant legs and suddenly found himself zipping along, feet inches off the ground, up a leg, and coming to a stop next to Amari. "Hailing a taxi crab, love it." He looked around at the lines of demons marching like ants towards the glowing mountain and said, "Looks like all roads lead to Rome."

Legion's sprites were still with him, looking up expectantly. He nodded to the fault sprite, "Baal, you can handle yourself if things go sideways. I want you to scout ahead and let me know what you find." The little imp flashed a fanged smile and flicked its tail, "It would be my pleasure, Legion." With a flutter of wings, the sprite was off racing ahead.

Last edited by AnotherDragoon; Aug 16th, 2022 at 12:33 AM.
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 10:37 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Outplay 2022
right-aligned image
Amari quickly finds a crab carrying supply crates. The creature blinks in confusion as she stands before it, all too happy to allow the additional passengers in exchange for letting it continue its journey toward the light. The pair can almost feel the creature vibrating with happiness the closer it draws to the strange lights. The blood addict tries her best to steer or even speed up the demon, but it seems oblivious to all but the light's calling.

Legion splits his perception between the crab's journey and his sprite's forward scouting. Error messages flash across the technomancer's vision as his sprite's code fragments the closer it gets to the phenomena. It notes dozens, if not hundreds, of crustaceans gathering meta humans and supplies converging from all directions. The logos on the crates and the vast assortment of metahumanity before them make the man wonder how many others had taken The Benefactor's bargain.

Baal pushes ahead as if against a mighty headwind as the area's corrupting effect takes its toll on it. Legion loses his connection with his sprite as it sends him images of the crab creatures smashing their crates at the mountain's base, revealing assortments of magical items. He worries for his friend's safety as he feels it struggling to recompile at his side.

The runners leap from their ride as its claws smash into the containers on its back, scattering the contents haphazardly around the area as it scuttles back into the distance to retrieve more cargo. The pair share a glance, noting their accelerated evaporation. No sooner do they wonder how to ascend the structure than they find themselves at its apogee. A creature looks off into the distance, focused on dissolving and consuming the magical items assembled around it.

"Ah, you made the journey with your consciousness intact? I am The Benifactor." A voice of admiration echos in their minds. "Have you come to make an offering or become one?" They scan the plateau, finding it the resting place for the poor souls carried here from the portals. Legion notes several of The Crossing Companions that hadn't answered the boss' summons. Meanwhile, Amari's enhanced vision cuts out the visual noise and immediately finds Jake's unconscious form leaning against a rock outcropping.

"I have much to offer those as strong of will as you. Wealth, power, knowledge, strength, all could be yours. I will need lieutenants that can think for themselves, and not just the mindless thralls I shall make from these." It gestures to all the unconscious forms around it. The creature then scoffs and clicks. "Before you dismiss me out of misguided honor, ask yourselves, what would it have been like to be on the ground floor with your Great Dragons, to be your world's next Damion Knight? I promise you, any unimaginable horrors you think I am capable of will be no greater than your world already suffers, and in a few decades, your world will acclimate to my presence as it has to other great powers before me." More energy collects in the creature as the vortex above it spins rhythmically. "I can even offer you control of my old realm, should you wish it. It will be without a ruler soon." The duo feels their flesh crawl as visions of this world's oddities lap against their minds.

This is a freestyle roleplay round, with no mechanics involved. The judges' votes alone will determine the winner. Having said that, you are free to use any skills/spells/abilities that you like throughout the round. Just remember, that the success or failure of these rolls will not be judged in a mechanical manner the way they have in previous rounds. Which tells a better story, massive success? Massive failure? Mixed success? It's up to you, not the dice this round!!

To explicitly state what I alluded to in the post, thought is action here. Just because you aren't in the matrix doesn't mean you can't take matrix actions or behave as if this is the matrix. Also, feel free to crank all your moves to 11, I wont tell anyonemaybe even 12, as you feel yourselves bursting with raw power.

Old Aug 16th, 2022, 06:54 PM
Juvenile Dragon
Outplay 2022

Tools
User Statistics
Reanimate
right-aligned image

The Benefactor’s offer fell on deaf ears. Amari had been a pawn before, and she would never willingly be one again. As a member of the Crossing Companions, they may get orders, but it was a team working together to better the world. There wasn’t a single overlord, treating their subordinates like disposable puppets. And this “Benefactor” guy seemed all to cliché.

“Interesting offer you have there, but power means very little to me when I’m just someone else’s dog. I do things out of my own drive. But I will say, it was nice of you to bring a bunch of my allies down here.”

Amari looked around, seeing various members of the Crossing Companions laying about. Most she had never met, only hearing of them, and others she knew. She quickly built a profile in her head of the best runners from the pile. She didn’t actually know them personally, rather, they were well known figures.

The Dream Team Scyth3r, a troll who specializes in magical blade-type weaponry. He Heavily associates himself with a bug-like appearance. He seemed to have a lot in common with Kodoku.

G0KV, a dwarf muscle head. When he gets angry, he screams and builds up his rage. Some say his power level can reach over 9000.

G4ND4LF, renowned for his explosive firework-like magic. Not only was he well read, but he has also seen just about every movie ever made.

They would make the perfect team. All she had to do was rejuvenate them with her GG suit’s power. Normally a group this large would be difficult to heal back up, but her suit was stronger here. The air churned with electrons and electrolytes, akin to a whirlwind. She released the energy towards her 3 targets, and as the power seeped into their bodies, it was as if the world stopped for a few mere seconds. However, rather than a witty quote, Amari utilized the moment to communicate with Legion.

“I think I can hold him off with these guys. You might be able to reach Jake in that time. Don’t listen to his offer, please trust me on this.”

Amari turned her head back towards The Benefactor’s direction. Everything he stood for built up her rage. If he was going to destroy this world, she would stand in his way.

“I don’t want to be one of your lieutenants. I want more.” Her eyes flickered with sparks. “I want to destroy you!”

Hopefully her seemingly shallow advance would grab the attention of The Benefactor long enough for Legion to do something. But to fully be in tune with her attack, she needed something to keep her spirit up. A good rhythm. Utilizing her suit’s vibration power, she mimicked a speaker.

Que up Amari’s BATTLE THEME!

OOC
(All artwork is made/edited by me) - and music too, now!

Last edited by Bushi; Aug 16th, 2022 at 06:54 PM.
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 12:41 AM
A warm fuzzy goonie

Tools
User Statistics
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
The Devil & the details
right-aligned image

The shattered landscape held on to its secrets as they rode their demon crab across the greyscale wastes towards the only aberration in sight, the glowing mountain. There were so many of the crustaceans scuttling in orderly lines it was hard to even guess the numbers involved. Whatever this was, it was far larger than Jake or all of the Crossing Companions. Maybe even bigger than the Seattle Sprawl itself.

The error messages were distressing, to say the least, but what could Legion even do about that while cut off from the Matrix? How was he even getting them in the first place? He sensed his sprite flicker out before trying to recompile next to him, "Rest, friend. You did well."

Soon, the duo found themselves arriving at the apparent crux of the strange world around them. Without warning, massive claws snapped at the cargo and crushed it around them. Legion's reflexes, heightened by the pulsing power in the very air, had him leaping before he even heard the crunch. He thought about slowing his fall and drifted down to alight next to Amari amidst the detritus their taxi crab had left behind as it hurried off to collect more.

Legion glanced at the assassin beside him and noted the stream of her very being trailing up into the swirling sky. He could feel it happening to himself too. It was hard to describe the sensation, it didn't hurt but, it felt wrong. Like his essence was getting siphoned away. Not exactly like forgetting himself or being drained either. He felt on top of his game just somehow different. That would have to be a problem for later, he thought as he looked up and wondered how they would be able to climb.

Except, there was no need to climb. No sooner had the thought crossed his mind, Legion found himself standing at the pinnacle with Amari both witnessing the desolation spread across the twisted realm. There, before them, was a nightmare creature. His breath caught in his chest when he noticed it looking down upon its kingdom. It looked like it was actively dissolving the stuff deposited by the army of crabs.

Then it spoke. The voice in his head was warm and polite but radiated a power that was offputting and made Legion uneasy. He licked his lips and forced his dry mouth to swallow before speaking, even though his avatar had neither. "You're the Benifactor," the Ork stated, more of a sudden realization than an affirmation or question. He looked out and spotted several familiar faces strewn out across the plateau. "An offering?" the technomancer made a show of patting his pockets, "I'm afraid I left my credsticks in my other suit." Joking helped to deal with everything literally coming apart all around him.

Legion was flattered by the creature's offer of power and wealth unimaginable, he really was. But the old Runner's Code streamed through his head. Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, ever cut a deal with a dragon. How does the fourth rule apply to an interdimensional demonic entity? If something that claims to be more powerful than a Dragon has you in its lair, shouldn't you try to leverage something?

"Uh, Mr. Benifactor, can I call you Benny?" Legion forced a smile and pressed on before the thing could smite him. "Before we go much further I have several questions. For starters, where the drek are we? And what does all of this have to do with the Crossing Companions or the Winston? Why Mitsuhama for that matter?" His avatar shrugged and held his hands out to his sides. That's it, just keep talking and you'll think of something. "Where is your old realm and what are you planning for ours? Finally, I don't doubt your powers but, just a hunch, are you stuck here for now? Is there a way out?"

Before he could think of terms and conditions to offer for Jake and the others, Amari was refusing the bargain. From her stance and the look on her young face, she was formulating a counteroffer. Legion wasn't sure fighting a monster in its own personal world was the best plan but, then again, he was more of a lover than a fighter so what did he know? If there's one thing the blood addict knew and knew well, it was how to hurt absolutely anything.

Her suit produced a glow to rival the blue anomaly before she released the energy and turned to say, I think I can hold him off with these guys. You might be able to reach Jake in that time. Don’t listen to his offer, please trust me on this. Legion nodded to Amari and replied, "I trust you, chummer. But don't be a hero, remember the corporations killed them all after they bought up the rights to their stories and likenesses." He put his first two fingers to his forehead and said, "I'm not leaving without you." Then, Legion disappeared.

The daemon of the grid materialized next to Jake. He crouched down and picked up the unconscious runner saying, "You've had your fun, now let's get you home." But how would he manage that? Legion's eyes focused on the vortex in the clouds, could that be some sort of portal?
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 06:34 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Outplay 2022
right-aligned image
The creature delivers its offer but does not halt its meal. Legion looks at the swirling maelstrom above them, noting the more The Benefactor consumes, the more defined the phenomenon above them becomes. The technomancer is willing to bet his last nickel that it was at least The Benefactor's way out of here.

"Why, this is my realm, Dear Frank. May I call you Franky Bear?" It says, addressing the man with the same mocking tone. "The door must open from both sides to remain stable. Little things, like you two, may slip through, but I require a more grand entrance to your world. As for the who and why? Magic is a living thing and works in its own way. I ask it for vessels of suitable mental fortitude, and it delivers. The stronger my connection to your world, the more candidates I may select." It gives a weary sigh. "But, it would seem that our pleasant chat is at an end. I thought your minds were strong, but they are too limited by your pathetic life spans. Why think in centuries when you can do what feels good in the moment?"

The Benefactor raises a hand, and a sickly blue beam oozes from its finger, enveloping Amari. The woman finds herself unable to move as her evaporation accelerates at an alarming rate. The creature looks to drink in the blood addict's fear, confusion blooming as it finds only smug confidence.

"SOMEBODY SET US UP THE BOMB!" A familiar voice echos across the vast chamber as G4ND4LF sends a stream of flames from his outstretched staff, slamming into the creature like a linebacker. He isn't sure if it ever dawns here, nor which way is east, but this has to be enough.

"HE DID SAY ALL HIS BASE ARE BELONG TO US!" A tiny man screams, leaving a trail of orange and yellow particles behind him as he rushes headlong toward the creature, trying to find the leverage needed for his trademarked suplex.

"YOU HAVE NO CHANCE! MAKE YOUR TIME!" Scyth3r's armor melds together, giving him the bug-like appearance he's always wanted. His custom pneumatic gloves hiss and contract for his signature X-Scissor attack. A high pitch pulse shatters stone and threatens to black the runners out as The Benefactor's lower arms separate from its form, evaporating before they hit the ground.

Those assembled recover their wits as the creature loses control of the delicate ritual in its pain. "YOU'VE DOOMED US ALL!" It screams into their minds as all the magical items in the chamber start erupting uncontrollably, severing the mountain from the base of the chamber, allowing it to rise toward the vortex at the roof of the cavern.

Old Aug 17th, 2022, 07:47 PM
Juvenile Dragon
Outplay 2022

Tools
User Statistics
Bullsye
While the Benefactor’s grasp was choking, Amari held herself firm. She looked around, seeing her allies wake up. It was a long shot, but the plan seemed to work out after all. Fireballs, suplex, and scissors all crashed into the beast. The interruption freed her from the chokehold, allowing her to act once again. Not only that, his entire hold on the realm shattered. What a grand opportunity- now waking the others up should be easy. Calling out to Legion, Amari gave her idea.

“We need to wake EVERYONE up! Create the ultimate chaos! Tap into those commlinks and play some wake-up alarms!”

The girl’s battle theme still resonated deep into her being, filling her with more determination to fight. She was certainly not capable of any fatal blows, but disabling The Benefactor in any way possible would surely aid their goal. She noted two of his arms were severed, affirming the idea he could be hurt. But the question filled her head, where should she attack? Amari pondered 3 options.

> FIGHT!
left-aligned image

1. Going for the head: A good ol’ blow to the noggin could knock him out, but such an area might be too obvious to aim for. It’s highly likely he could evade or easily resist such an attack. But it might just be the move to prevent a Thanos-type situation.

2. Go for the last 2 arms: A hot strike to the limbs may prevent him for attacking further, since, well, arms are commonly used to attack. However, his tail could still sweep around for blunt damage and those horns would surely be used for attacking as well. On top of all that, a big stomp would flatten you like a pancake.

3. Chip into the back of his neck: Opening a weak spot would be perfect. Not only would he be blind to his backside, but if they damage anywhere near the brain stem or spine, the creature would be easily disabled. Probably the best choice.

And thus, Amari picked option 3. Charging up NVO, the minty assassin dashed towards the creature’s backside. His neck was all she could focus on.

“Follow my lead, fight for everyone’s lives!” Amari shouted before her mind was fully taken over by blood rage. Using all her strength, GG suit at 110%, she parkoured her way up like a superspeed pinball. Bouncing off of crates, rocks, floating debris, until- bullseye. She was straight in the trajectory of the creature’s neck. Her eyes closed as she readied for impact.

OOC

Old Aug 18th, 2022, 12:24 AM
A warm fuzzy goonie

Tools
User Statistics
A wake-up call
right-aligned image

Franky Bear? How does everyone know about that!?! He hadn't heard it for years and suddenly it starts catching on. He wouldn't mind it so much if only his mom was still around. It's funny to think he might die separated from meat space just like she did. They really are a lot alike. But, no. He couldn't let that happen, couldn't let this thing win and dissolve the world like what's happening here.

Legion still didn't know what was going on here or what the Benifactor wanted, but he was sure he didn't want to stick around to find out. He used the blood addict's gambit to finally grab Jake. He picked the unconscious man up and lightly slapped his face. "Hey omae! I need you on your feet, we're about to jander on outta here." The boss's son snapped open his eyes and shook off a blanket of confusion. He looked around to get his bearings but shook his head again as if trying to wake from a bad dream.

"Amari bought us some time,"Legion smiled and pointed to the top of the mountain. "She's got electric boots, a GG suit; I know you remember, right?" They looked up in time to see the creature's lower arms fall off and evaporate just as the dissonant frequency hit them and rattled the stuff in their brain cases.

That was when the chaos truly erupted. The entity screamed in their minds like a monofilament chainsaw cutting through plasteel walls. Magic was exploding everywhere and the mountain itself fractured. It began to ascend toward the vortex even as the creature's world fell apart around them.

Through all the mayhem and noise, Amari's voice reached out like a beacon. We need to wake EVERYONE up! Create the ultimate chaos! Tap into those commlinks and play some wake-up alarms! Legion nodded to the young assassin and called back, "Heh, not bad, kid!"

Then, he took a deep breath and manifested the glowing lines of Metranon's Cube on the unstable ground beneath himself. He focused on what he had to do and sharpened his will. Legion breathed in again, gathering all the raw, roiling energy he could, and pulled it in. Then, he exhaled and sent his tendrils of living influence writhing and snaking out across the cavernous space seeking out every commlink.

The daemon shivered from the effort as his body began to hang suspended in the air until finally, a chorus of Ju1c3's ringtone chimed out across the broken realm. Legion pushed his limit even further and added a verbal component. His body convulsed in the air as his voice echoed, "Wake the frag up, Chummers. We've got a demon to burn."

Legion dropped to the ground panting and hoped it would be enough.

Last edited by AnotherDragoon; Aug 18th, 2022 at 12:54 AM.
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 09:16 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Outplay 2022
right-aligned image
Jake snaps back to life as if someone suddenly hit play on his remote. Neither runner can recall if he is a morning person, but impending doom motives even the groggiest sleepers. The Companions start to rise one by one, joined in equal amounts by everyday citizens, unfortunate enough to be caught in The Benefactor's net.

The creature seems oblivious to Legion's attempts as panic and fear cross its face. The Benefactor frantically draws energy into itself, attempting to steady the storm growing uncontrollably above them. It ignores a hail of small arms fire, a gnaw on its ankle from a long forgotten pocket monster, and all manner of spirits and sprites harrying it from all angles. Amari and Legion lock eyes, they are the only ones empowered here, and now that its guard is up, they are the only ones that can stop this creature.

"YOU'VE RUINED EVERYTHING!" It screams into their minds. "YOU COULD HAVE HAD ANYTHING YOUR HEART DESIRES! ONCE IN YOUR WORLD, NOTHING WOULD HAVE BEEN BEYOND ME! I WILL NOT STAY HERE, AND IF I CAN NOT LEAVE, NEITHER CAN ANY OF YOU!" During its tirade, the blood addict finds her opening. She leaps from a salaryman's back to a rock outcropping, gaining altitude as she goes. Kipping off a collapsing stalactite puts her into position behind The Benefactor as her blade connects with its neck. As soon as she does, several things happen: a cloud of darkness billows from the creature as an almost invisible wall of force shatters, a million tiny pieces of almost glass falling to the ground before evaporating into magical dust and the last of its control on the storm fails, causing dangerous eddies and riptides to form in its surface.

"IF I AM TO FALL, THEN SO WILL ALL OF YOU!" The familiar blue light grows behind the creature's eyes, and it strikes the platform with all its might. The Companions pause and the civilians cower as everything goes quiet and still. The Benefactor pants in exertion, and then the world shatters. The entire mountain crumbles, no piece larger than an economy car, as the cavern world starts collapsing from the horizon inward. They all feel a moment of weightlessness until the storm takes them, propelling them upward into its embrace.

"I may perish, dashed on the barriers of the imaterium, but you will have the honor of dying by my hand." A sense of calmness returns to its voice. Its confidence is as concerning as the wild magic above. Sparks leave the creature's hands, and the debris field starts expanding and contracting at random. A group of European businessmen is crushed between stones, just as G0KV loses his footing and is hurled out of the vortex toward the cave floor below. All around them, others suffer a similar fate.

Old Aug 18th, 2022, 08:54 PM
Juvenile Dragon
Outplay 2022

Tools
User Statistics
Final Gear

Amari was not focused on whether she would get out of here or not. At this point, the mission to stop The Benefactor was the only thing on her mind. The Imaterium definelty was a concern, but it was nothing to worry about if they were going to be killed before they hit it. And the evaporation- the threat at hand needed to be solved quick with the little time left. Looking around, it seemed the others who had been woken up previously were not going to be of much use. The only ones who could finish this were her and Legion.

“Surprisingly, I’ve not used this little thing yet.” Amari noted, pulling her commlink from a pocket. “This would be a bad time to have tech troubles.” Wiping the partially dusty Crossing Companions standard issued commlink off, she began her message. “Now would be a bad time to have the wrong number, too…”

With some hasty finger pecking, a request was successfully sent. However, the content was not her best literary work. Luckily, no one was here to grade her for clarity, grammar, formatting or writing.

<< gona sweep the leg.. pls send buff LEGION!!!>>

Waiting frantically with her foot tapping, she was relieved when the response came. Her face turned into a grin, as she slowly looked up back towards the beast. Just then, a little pixelated being attached itself to Amari’s shoulder.

“Show him no mercy!” the sprite cheered.

Legion’s buff and the assassin’s own strength aligned together, releasing a burst of pure aura. The ground shook. Amari had never held this much power before, it was like her muscles were on the verge of bursting. She had one target. Sweep The Benefactors legs, chopping them clean off. The devastating shockwave would send him hurling into the void, Amari was sure of it. Every ounce of blood rage in the girl’s body coalesced to a singularity.

“SUPER NEON VIOLET SPRITE OVERSTOCK OVERDRIVE!!!”

The world turned silent, as a furious streak of pure plasma erupted from Amari’s feet. The silence was followed by a deafening boom. Her AMAR1 Blade not only broke the sound barrier, but warped time, space, and matrix in it’s trail.

Amari felt the contact as she flew past The Benefactor. She stood still for a moment, taking a breath before looking at the smoking hilt in her hand. Her blade had shattered into a million pieces.

OOC

Last edited by Bushi; Aug 18th, 2022 at 08:57 PM.
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 12:17 AM
A warm fuzzy goonie

Tools
User Statistics
A most chaotic crescendo
right-aligned image

Legion stood up on shaky legs and put an arm around Jake's shoulder. A smile flashed across the swirling face of his avatar as he looked up in time to see Amari land a critical strike upon the weak point of the titan's neck shattering whatever spell it was channeling. Instead of an arterial spray, a dark cloud effervesced out from the attack as the magic fractured and fell.

The Benefactor was furiously lashing out with a diatribe of vitriol and vengeance. He was all imaterium this and death that, blah blah very scary all-powerful entity. But really, it sounded more like some choob trying to flip the game board after he found himself losing. Or maybe some bakebrain putting his fist through the screen of a vintage arcade console. The angry creature shattered the mountain and turned the debris into a magic meat grinder, instantly reducing a percentage of the former sleepers to chunky salsa.

This reality, if that's what you could call it, was rapidly unraveling. The center could not hold. To put it in technical terms, the whole thing was all five flavors of fragged. And Amari was in the thick of it. She sent a message asking for a helping hand, Legion was more than happy to oblige.

<<I gotcha covered 1 power-up on the way!>>
<<Jake and I will find us a back door>>

Gremory, the trusty little machine sprite, was still with Legion. Her diadem of six stars had been leaking pixels, and her veil was shredded, but she was still all shark smiles when he called upon her service. "Gremory, my friend, we need your power." The tiny blue lady nodded, By your will, Legion. He pointed up to where the blood addict was facing down the Benefactor. "Amari could use a boost; please go to her and overclock her Neon Violet Overdrive."

Then, the technomancer turned to Jake, "This is fine." He laughed nervously, it did feel a bit like trying to enjoy a soycaff in a burning kitchen. "Probably. Anyway," Legion looked around at the maelstrom of debris and detritus swarming through the air, "we better keep moving. Heads down and eyes up, Chummer. Let's secure ourselves an exit." They ran in a zig-zagging pattern through the collapsing cavern, looking for a stable portal that didn't lead to the bottom of the sea.
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 06:26 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Outplay 2022
right-aligned image
The debris field grinds and crushes everything around it. The Benefactor seems quite pleased as the casualties pile. The two runners take solace that even civilian's clothes are ballistic grade armor, and with enough luck, most of the injured can still pull through.

Legion and his sprites scan the debris field. Its movements seem arbitrary, but time in the matrix will tell you nothing is random. You just haven't used enough math yet. He expands his consciousness, pushing his newly acquired powers to their limit, mapping out the area around them.

The sprites feed the data to all assembled. The creature at the heart of the chaos continues to rearrange the board, but it's no match for Legion's processing power. "BUT HOW?! It screams as the technomancer casually carries a wounded Jake through the chaos, and civilians and Companions alike do the same. "Do you know what's cooler than magic? Math!" He quips, finishing the mission and leaving Amari to do what she does best.

Magic must defeat magic! Echos through the woman's mind as she centers herself for this strike. What do those ancient chi masters know anyway? She smiles as the sprites join with her suit, and it starts vibrating at impossible frequencies. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. It doesn't get more bleeding edge than this. The best tech the sixth world offers and the unknowable power of the resonance merge for a single purpose, knocking this bully down a peg or three.

Amari darts through the debris field, civilians noting no more than a flash of red and a hint of rage as she passes. The Benefactor hovers, using the last of its strength in its block tower tumbling tantrum. It talks a big game of global power and unknowable riches, but it was just another corporate drek head. Sure, it's a twelve-meter tall representative of Evil Inc, but a good punch in the face was all it really needs.

The Benefactor locks eyes with the blood addict as she surges forward. Rocks tumble and fall all around her as the creature hastily forms a sword of blue energy to meet her. It holds the blade aloft, swinging as the woman does, the pair stopping meters apart, both smug in their apparent victory until the once four-armed creature bisects and sloughs off either side of its perch before being consumed by the storm above. No screams, no curses, just blessed silence for the first time since meeting the entity.

The rocks slow and settle as they continue to rise. There's no time to celebrate as the vortex will consume them at any moment. The remaining Crossing Companions gather the civilians and watch as their doom approaches.

OODMPlayer Note: This will be your last post for the competition, so make sure to leave on a high note

I'll be locking this thread on my lunch break tomorrow so you'll have a little less than 30 hours to really wow those judges!!!

Old Aug 20th, 2022, 12:02 AM
A warm fuzzy goonie

Tools
User Statistics
Exit strategies
right-aligned image

The flash of movement caught Legion's eye as he turned to see the aftermath of Amari's duel with the Benefactor. He stopped and watched in awe as the upper half slid away from the creature's legs on the bias. It was like everything paused in disbelief at that moment, and when the pieces were finally obliterated by the swirling storm, a collective sigh passed through the survivors. "Amari! She did the impossible, broke the unbreakable!" The technomancer whooped and cheered for the blood addict.

But, his celebration was cut short when he noticed the vortex was still roiling above and pulling everything steadily closer. At this rate, they would be consumed just like the two halves of the Benefactor. Well, at least they would die knowing they saved the world, whether it deserved it or not.

Think, Franky! If you'd only apply yourself! He had to come up with something fast. They didn't run through the zero zone and come all this way to find Jake only to get geeked by a magic storm. They needed a portal, but they were all collapsing as fast as he could scan them. If only he could somehow brute force his own...

Then, it hit him like a chromed-up cyber-arm. His resonance abilities and sprites had been somehow working here so, maybe he could brute force a way out. Legion had seen just how effective Door's portal sprite had been in the zero zone. "Hold on Jake, we're about to slot and run." His eyes moved rapidly back and forth as he sent a message to Amari.

<<I'm gonna try spoofing a portal sprite>>
<<Never done this and it's a kludgey longshot but it could work>>

Legion closed his eyes and concentrated on what he wanted the new sprite to do and what programs he would need to spoof to force a backdoor. He started compiling the portal sprite and it slowly appeared before him in bands of data like the dial-up modems produced so long ago. The sprite was a small squat face in metallic red with glowing golden eyes. Arms extended from just above its ears and stubby legs attached under the jawline. Just as it finished, a pair of angular red shades rezzed on the technomancer's face.

I'm ready to find our destiny, bro! Yeah, Legion thought, This could work. "I believe in you, Simon! Now, burst through the heavens with your drill!" The portal sprite launched itself up as a huge drill spiraled out of its forehead. Giga drill breaker! It was now or never.
Old Aug 20th, 2022, 10:09 AM
Juvenile Dragon
Outplay 2022

Tools
User Statistics
Beleive!
right-aligned image

Amari’s eyes were stuck to the broken hilt of her sword. The blade was completely gone, destroyed from her last strike on the beast. It was like a part of her was destroyed. The AMAR1 had been with her as long as she can remember, the tech-katana was part of her identity. How would things be now?

Legion’s cheers snapped her from the daze. The Benefactor had been taken down. Still, it was at the cost of her beloved weapon. Unfortunately, there was no time to mourn. Not even a second to celebrate, either. The Vortex was still a threat, swallowing every bit of mass into its swirly depths. Amari was a fighter though, not some kind of physicist. It was easy to focus on a foe to overcome, but whatever the solution was to end this anomaly was far out of her expertise.

With great fortune, Legion was equipped to do something with a chance of working. Amari read the message on the commlink.

<<I'm gonna try spoofing a portal sprite>>
<<Never done this and it's a kludgey longshot but it could work>>

A backdoor? Might be dangerous, who knows if it will take them home or somewhere else. But with the situation at hand, anywhere but here would suffice. While he worked his techno-magic, Amari needed to do something useful. Many other civilians were still stuck down here, and someone needed to help guide them out. She may have caused some lives to be taken back during the car crash, but now was her time to make up for it. With some more hasty finger-pecking, Amari replied to Legion with what only could be described as a marvel of the English language.

<< Sounds gud, I will try 2 prep the others 2 go too the portal!!>>

Dang, my typing is already getting better! The girl naively thought to herself. Her mind quickly shifted to her new mission at hand, as Amari got ready to round up anyone in need of help. No matter what happened, she was going to get as many out of here alive as she could.

Combining her light bending and vibration abilities, she mimicked a giant hologram with a loudspeaker. Light shot out, projecting herself in a manner that everyone could see and hear her.

“Everyone come this way, we’re going to make a way out of here! Show Legion you believe in him! Chant for him!”

OOC

Closed Thread