Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 151
ThreadingFate ThreadingFate
Chapter 1: Siblings & Strife (2)

Autumn
Saturday - December 14th, 2019
Seven days until the Winter Solstice

Alex sped out of the Gnosis offices shoving the crumpled printout of his prophetic word search into his coat pocket on his way. The bracing cold air of the evening pummeled against him immediately as she stepped out onto the darkened street. He checked his watch: 8:00pm, and he knew Alexis closed up shop at 9:00pm. He was confident he could make it before she closed her doors for the day. It had been weeks since he'd last made contact with his sister, but his wild eyes and erratic manners that day caused him to be dismissed.

He knew that Alexis thought he was still using, was still wasting his talents. There was a time she would have welcomed him as a partner in her business, but that time had passed, and so he'd signed on with Gnosis, hoping to prove himself in some other way. He hustled across Alphabet City to Tompkins Square Park, cutting across it to to the far corner of East 7th Street where Ved'ma Nisha was located.

Alex could see Alexis in the shop through her curio and display window, was about to cross the street when a bum sitting along the stone wall that ran around the perimeter of the park caught his attention from a few meters off from the corner. He extended a cup towards Alex which clearly jingled heavily with change.

"Got any change fella?" the park bum asked loudly.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:34 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
The derelict calling out to Alex caught his attention enough to shift his gaze from the window silhouette of his sister to look directly at the man. He sat in front of what seemed to be the only section of the park wall that had not been covered in graffiti.

The filth and grime that covered the man's hands and the visible part of his face suddenly seemed to look like black asphalt. His stringy hair and tangled beard took on the appearance of shattered glass, and the hand that extended the cup appeared to be attached to the arm backwards, the fingers twisted at impossible angles around the filthy cup it jingled, the mottled and torn coat took on the appearance of stitched together garbage and trash that gathered along the park's edge and in the city's drains. His smile twisted revealing teeth that looked like corroded orange road cones and seemed to glimmer in the light, his eyes looked like flashing hazard lights the color of caution tape.

Last edited by ThreadingFate; 08-16-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:36 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Shrektastic
Alex was walking towards the store, his eye's locked on destination, driving by a single purpose, a single goal. But upon hearing the homeless man, he turned around. Almost instantly, he froze up, locked solid. The pupils of his eyes widened, his eyes open wide. This was not normal, this was not natural, but one thing plagued his mind, the creature was sitting in broad daylight, within view of everyone, did no one care?. With hesitation, he approached the man, dropping a dollar into his cup, an offering. "What the hell are you?." His voice was shaking, spooked beyond reproach.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:09 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Alex fumbled at the meager cash in his pockets as he approached, shaken by what he was sure he had seen, his mind reeling in fear-tinged confusion as he wondered what such a thing was and how no one noticed it sitting out here... but that quick glance down at the dollar and the extra second taken to guide his now trembling hand to ensure the dollar landed in the cup required the briefest of moments of focus.

However, all that moment left behind was a confused bum who now scowled up at Alex from his throne of trash at the side of the road. The bum mumbled to himself and exhaled a long breath reeking of halitosis and whiskey, he shook his head as he stumbled to his feet and narrowed his eyes.

"What the hell are you pal?!" He spit on the ground at Alex's feet and began to shuffle away, "Thanks for the dollar." His voice heavy with sarcasm as he turned his back to Alex.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:38 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Shrektastic
Alex stared. His eye's wide open. He was dumbfounded, his eyes locked on the bum as he walked away, as if needing a second glance. Still he found himself shaking, ice flowing through his veins. He was certain he saw something different, saw something supernatural, the bum was something else, he was certain.

What seemed like hours passed, when in reality it was a mere moment. He felt as if his feet were stuck to the ground, there would be no explanation, he would never see the Bum again. It took him a minute to re-adjust, the mundane had melted away in front of him for but a second, leaving nothing but a tease and a hole in his mind.

But of course, he couldn't just stand and gawk all day. Reluctantly he approached the door to his sister's store. Stopping at the handle, it was weeks since he last saw Alexa. It's been months since they last shared the same mind. Inside his head was not a stir nor sound, nothing but silence, it was suffocating and deafening, but after a month passed, suffocation had become the new breathing. Loneliness left nothing but another hole in his head.

There was no sense standing and staring through the door. Alexa already thought he was insane, he didn't need to give her more ammunition. Alex opened the door, walking in.

Last edited by Shrektastic; 08-29-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:30 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
The bum faded into the city's night but would not fade from Alex's memory for quite some time, despite him turning his attention and focus toward Alexis, and the task at hand.

Immediately, Alex's senses were assaulted by the strong scent of herbs and incense and a soft chime reverberated throughout the room as he pushed the door to the little shop open, signaling Alexis to glance up from the grinding she was doing at the counter. Her eyes widened, obviously a little surprised by the late hour visitor, before narrowing upon realizing who it was that was coming in. She sighed heavily, wiping at her eyes with the sleeve of her shirt, and appeared the work the pestle into her mortar even harder than she was a moment ago.

"What are you doing here, Alex?" Her tone was not unkind but nor was it welcoming.

Alex could sense a wave of frustration emanate from her, but beneath it was a sense of grief and despair. One that certainly was not present the last time they had been together. Her eyes were puffy and he could tell that she'd been crying recently.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:57 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Shrektastic
The wave washed over him, bashing him like a wave striking a boat. He should've known. He should've been here earlier. He should've done something instead of abandoning her, yet still he felt powerless, as if he was drowning in her despair, but he couldn't sit back and watch, he couldn't cry alongside her, he had to do something.

"I'm sorry I couldn't be here earlier, whats wrong?. Whatever it is, please let me help you" His tone was kind and sincere, yet there was a tint of awkwardness to his voice, both desperate and despairing. He silently hoped this wasn't his fault, he shared her pain and she shared his. When he suffers, she suffers with him, that was his fault.

Everything was his fault
Old 09-07-2018, 03:01 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
On cue, Alexis wiped her face in the crux of her elbow once more and shifted her eyes up to Alex giving him a hard look. He knew full well that she could feel his emanations in the same manner that he felt hers, and she looked exasperated by it.

"It's not your fault Alex and there's nothing you could have done," annoyed irritation tinting her voice now. "Not everything is about you."

She regretted the words escaping as soon as they did, knowing they'd sting. She sighed and placed the pestle down, putting her hands on the counter to address him.

"I'm... I'm sorry. I just learned this morning that Jenae was mu... that she passed away."

Alex knew the name and had met the girl she was speaking about in passing. Jenae was one of Alexis's close friends, they'd met at a psychic fair a few years back and she'd opened up her own occult shop on the other side of the city.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:56 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Shrektastic
Her words didn't sting, he was used to it. He should've given her more space, he should've come at a different day, he was not welcome here and he should've known. "Murdered?" Confusion tinted his voice, not about Jenae's murder, but about why Alexis would hide it. For anyone else that slip up would go unnoticed, but he saw straight through it.

He rubbed his eyes, it was only 8 PM, yet it felt like midnight. He wanted to sleep, he couldn't do anything, Alexis said it herself, but he still felt that if he knew earlier, he could've done something. "There's no reason to hide this from me. You can trust me" his tone was calm and quiet. Her hiding Jenae's murder stung instead, disdain was normal, this was new.

Last edited by Shrektastic; 09-07-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:43 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Alexis attempts to stifle it, but she chokes out a sob as her brother offers that word. Tears pour from her eyes and she brings her hands up to cover her face and pulls another shuddering breath as she wrestles with her obvious grief. She nods slowly, unable to form words properly, but agreeing with her twin's assessment.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:18 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Shrektastic
Tears pour from his eyes, a wave of grief washing over him, when she grieved, he grieved as well. He reached out to hug Alexis, sharing her grief. He cursed himself for not being here sooner, not helping her sooner. All he ever wanted to do was make her happy.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:16 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Alexis responded in kind, immediately falling into her brother's arms and wrapping him up. She sobbed on his shoulder and in the comfort of his arms for a long few minutes until this wave passed and she quieted down to a sniffle, shaking like a leaf.

She backed off slightly, holding his sleeve with one hand as she wiped at her eyes with the other, addressing him again through puffy eyes and wet lashes.

"S-sorry... I didn't mean..." she sighed without finishing.

"What brings you here Alex?" She cast a glance at the pentacle star clock on the wall behind her sales counter.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:35 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Shrektastic
He wiped the tears from his eyes. Slowly he began to regret coming here, what was he supposed to say?, that he saw some words on a computer screen and it tells the future?. I’m looking for a spirit of Prophecies...Anything or anyone that can tell me more about this he passed the printed sheet to her. Scribbles outlining prophecies. I know, you think this is crazy. But I think this is a warning

Last edited by Shrektastic; 09-19-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Closed Thread