Game Thread Divine Contention - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 10:22 AM
UngainlyFool's Avatar
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool is offline
a pair of ragged claws
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 27th, 2023
RPXP: 21837
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
Posts: 4,605
Jules
right-aligned image
Jules smirked when Cali suggested handing out weapons. She thought she forgot whose bar this was sometimes. Cali was always the one to poke a Khumalt to see what would happen. She liked things interesting over safe. Jules envied her lack of concern for consequences sometimes.

Ali filled them in on the goings on. Jules watched the crate slowly creep away from Ali with morbid fascination. She was listening, but also just kind of rooting for the box to slip all the way. Looks like we are heading to the tower. If you wanna mess with rooms anyway, go for it. She thought Idly to Cali, smiling when Ali finally slipped and disappeared from view for a second. She knew Cali enjoyed poking around people's rooms and being mischievous. It made her think of old days when they used to pull a lot more pranks together.

"Yeah, we will be on the lookout for the ol' sergeant. And we'll get you some money to pay for this. We have experience dealing with intractable white ones with horns brutes and bullies. They will make a donation one way or another." Thoughts of the tower made her sigh. She pointed at the ledger to clear up the last bit of business. "Speaking of which, who is cheating you this time?" They both knew Ali didn't know how to stand up to people in business and they charged her for things just because they could. The ancillary costs made Jules mad. If Ali was a jerk, that would be one thing, but it wasn't fair to treat a sweet girl that way.

Last edited by UngainlyFool; Nov 10th, 2022 at 03:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old Nov 17th, 2022, 01:53 PM
DaysUntold's Avatar
DaysUntold DaysUntold is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 25th, 2023
RPXP: 18282
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
Posts: 2,721
Cali
Nah, she said, resigned, it's no fun now. Maybe later.
Cali's smirk disappeared when she learned the newcomers hadn't stayed the night, only to reappear in time with her sister's as Ali performed her magic trick. If nothing else, the little inn was a consistent source of amusement.

"What's they look like?" she mused, only half-listening to the response. The town wasn't a large one, so they'd probably find the outsiders quite easily, but with all the going-ons it couldn't hurt to have a description. Either way, she was down for whatever Jules had planned.

She's really torn up about this table, she thought idly in Jules' direction. Depending what's going on in that tower, maybe we make off with a bit of furniture, eh? Neverember's got enough coin to rebuild it a hundred times over and the soldiers are probably too drunk off their butts not notice anything is missing. Besides, many of them came here to do that drinking, Cali thought to herself as she let her sister attempt to remedy a status quo that would likely never change. Still, she loved her for the attempt.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old Dec 7th, 2022, 10:17 AM
Retry's Avatar
Retry Retry is offline
Here to help
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 27th, 2023
RPXP: 37369
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Posts: 9,582
Leilon"There was the big stupid-head human who look like he just found out how to properly use an outhouse!

Some smug-looking gnome who kept eyeballing me whenever I was on the floor passin out drinks.

An some better-than-thou lady who - looked like she had some elf blood in her, but i'm not a hundred percent on that. But- she kept goading stupid-boy on!!!"
Ali described the troublemakers to Cali following up with a few more childish insults in regards to the human that broke her furniture. Across the tavern floor Mav was attempting to distract himself with the companions that were not allowed - but totally were; so that he wouldn't chuckle to the childish complaints of Ali.

When Jules stated that they would find the means to reimburse her, there was a glimmer of hope and admiration in the innkeeper's eyes. "You will?!" >skkrrt< "Oh! Thank you girls! I can never thank you enough for all you've done for this place!" Ali gushed, her stature starting to sink once again.

When Jules pointed to the ledger and inquired the obvious Alion froze. Eyes wide like a deer in the path of a charging White Dragon. Her lips pressed together forcing a small professional smile. "Wh-whatever could you mean?" the veil so paper thin that even the less insightful Cali could see through the rouse.

The sound of the crate carried on along with the sinking of Ali, although her attention was elsewhere due to frightful embarrassment. "I've been careful! I haven't be-ENN!

>CRASH!<
"
the crate slide away and sent the innkeeper crashing to the floor. A pained groan drifted on the air behind the counter. If anyone were to look over they would see Alion had rolled to her back and covered an embarrassed red face with her hands.

"I'm sorry." Ali groaned lifting her hands enough to speak plainly "There was this handsome salesman." there was a pause as if that was to explain everything. "He had some potion-drafts. Said it would get you drunk and make you lighter and faster. I bought the whole stock...

Thought it would go well with the soldiers."
Alion pressed her hands to her face once more. "Except." the words now muffled. "Anyone who drank it would get drunk and have the runs."

At this point Mav couldn't contain it anymore and a soft chuckle escaped his lips.

"SHUT UP, MAV!" Ali cried in embarrassment removing her hands from her face to chide her employee.

"I'm sorry - But it's so dern funny! Made'em quick on their feet ta tha outhouse alright!!!

Prolly lighter too!!"
the old human laughed earning a frustrated groan. When the old man calmed he spoke to the tavern sponsors "I rememba 'im pretty well, young ladies. Young fella, dressed well, forked tongue. You live long enough you learn the sorts real well. Travelling fella, went by tha name Oliver if'n I recall right.

Doubt he stayed in town - 'specially when he made a big score lieh dis'in. Best keep'er wits about ya, young ladies."

 

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old Dec 14th, 2022, 11:05 AM
Retry's Avatar
Retry Retry is offline
Here to help
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 27th, 2023
RPXP: 37369
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Posts: 9,582
Leilon




The crisp morning air was starting to lose a bit of its edge. The rising sun saw to that. The melody of life was well within its third chord of the morning as the sound of construction and distant merchant calls filled the air. Accompanied by the morning song of birds fresh from their nest and seeking mates. It was admittedly a bit discordant - the island the two called their (temporary) home was far more peaceful by a mile. Yet, life in Leilon held a bit of quaintness to its stubborn tenacity.

Just a bit further east from their investment property and up a muddy embankment was the beating heart of Leilon. The Town Square.

A small stationary stage sat center in the wide rounded area deemed a 'square.' It was currently empty, save from the occasional child clamoring upon it in the midst of whatever game they were a part of. Merchants from all over the coast were either calling to those passing by, offering exotic trinkets and wares for sale. Most of it mere trinkets and bobbles at best. Occasionally a glistening item might catch the eye yet Cali might easily see through the cheap illusionary magic at play.

Nestled near the north-western corner of the square was the small hut adorned with the golden coin of Tymora. It's primary purpose was a temple to the Goddess. Its secondary purpose was a potion shop. Its proprietor, Puck, the elf was an odd and eccentric one. Yet the prices were often fair and worth a visit.

Looming like an overbearing parent along the northern portion of the square, dead center of the town; was the House of Thalivar. The tower. There were still sizable holes in its exterior that would normally house scaffoldings and two-person crews working to properly repair the tower. Today they were absent. The question of if it were related to the event the twins noticed whilst crossing the channel was quickly answered by the attitude of the town. Everyone was going on with life as if it were all normal.

Was it really just the two of them that saw?


The path to the tower betrayed its close visual. Houses and buildings impeded the path forcing the dirt road to segway into different routes. Despite being right there, the detours forced the trek there to be roughly a five minute stroll with their companions at their side.

Individuals that recognized the two said their greetings on their way to handle their business. A small trio of children no older than six summers failed to coax Longbeard away with dried berries and pebbles. Dashing their attempts to play with the wolfhound. The temperature was becoming more and more comfortable as the morning pressed on, yet the storm over the sea continued to grow and threaten to come ashore.

The base of the tower was shielded off from public access by the way of a seven foot tall palisade that encompassed the area. Barked orders and clangs of metal could be heard from the other side. Citizens walked along the edge of the palisade unbothered by the noises from the other side. For it was surely just the soldiery from Neverwinter doing their daily drills.

When the twins reached the entrance of the tower they were blocked off by two young human soldiers. Each wearing simple leather armor and adorning a spear and shield. "Whoa-there, ladies!" one exclaimed leaning their spear forward slightly in a non-threatening manner. "The outpost is currently closed off to the public!
State your purpose."


Beyond the guards Jules could spot the yard where most of the soldiery was performing their drills. Individuals of all shapes and sizes were either sparring, working out, or practicing formations. There were maybe fifty of them total. Tents of varying size and enclosure dotted the area. Wooden racks holding rows of weapons, bladed or not, often accompanied some of the tents. While others held cots for resting or placing those injured to rest.

Beyond the yard in the center view was a building that jutted out from the base of the tall wizard's toward. Its wooden exterior and design all but broadcasted its existence as an add-on by the soldiery. A group of well clothed/armored individuals stood outside of its entrance in a loose gathering chatting with one another. There were roughly eight of them. Every so often one or a few of them would steal a glance at the tower that looked over them with an almost fearful look about them.

"If you are just here to steal glances at the men or women working out I'll have to ask for you to be on your way." the soldier said almost pointedly.

 


Last edited by Retry; Dec 14th, 2022 at 11:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 03:35 PM
DaysUntold's Avatar
DaysUntold DaysUntold is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 25th, 2023
RPXP: 18282
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
Posts: 2,721
CaliCali was never the observant sort, yet her singular focus on the tower and the arcane energy coming off of it was all altogether different thing. She headed for it as directly as Jules would allow, at one point almost tripping over a vendor's cart. Eventually they made it, only to be blocked by two self-important guards.

Cali was entirely unimpressed. They’d dealt with soldiers before, both when working and in the tavern. As fun as they could be after they’d had a pint or too, especially if they were willing to put a coin or two on the line, they were equally as insufferable when on duty. Then again, she’d probably be grumpy as hell too if made to wear a stuffy uniform and stand in one place for hours on end. Not nearly as haughty, though.

"We’re here for Sergeants Nem. Neverember sent us over to take a look at the upper levels of the tower. Said they’ve been seeing some strange things going on up there. Some concern there’s a bit of left over magic that might be a danger to those of you working on it, but more-than-likely you can use it against that mess out there," she said, nodding her head towards the edge of town, "if we’re able to figure it out."

She gauged their reaction as she gave them the matter-of-fact-but-none-the-less-farcical explanation. She took a step back and looked up squinting as if to peer at the tower more closely, looking for something. "Hmm, I mean, perhaps we could check back later if it’s a probl.." she began, her voice trailing off neat the end of the sentence only to cut off completely quite suddenly as she looked started and pointed towards a spot on the exterior of the tower about 30 feet up. As they turned to look, she quickly gestured with her other hand, completing the minor illusionspell and causing an area of the rock wall to begin subtly shifting, morphing and flowing as if it were just not quite as solid as it had appeared just seconds ago.

"There! See! I told you I thought I saw something on the way up," she said, turning to Jules and giving her a wink before readdressing the guards. "Look, if you have to verify, you can do so while we get to work. We’ve gotta take a look at that before somethin’ worse happens or we’ll be back in the Fishery, or worse…" She shifted the bag on her shoulder as if she were eager to move on, which she had no need to fake, and looked to them as if it were entirely reasonable for them to simply part and let them by.

At the last minute she cocked and eyebrow and asked one last question. "By the way, you got any spare tables layin’ around in there?"


Last edited by DaysUntold; Jan 23rd, 2023 at 11:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old Jan 24th, 2023, 11:56 AM
UngainlyFool's Avatar
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool is offline
a pair of ragged claws
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 27th, 2023
RPXP: 21837
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
Posts: 4,605
Jules
right-aligned image
Lelion was a quaint place as far as human settlements went. A little run down, but cheery in its own way. Still, Jules couldn't help feeling she would rather be outside of it, back in the forests away from the coast. The kids playing in the streets and the stage of the main square made her feel old. Cali and she had moments like those before, carefree moments that seemed at the time so full of problems. They were made to grow up quickly though when Halvar disappeared.

Jules tried to clear Cali's unbending path to the tower and right her when she stumbled into a vendor or cart. Her sister was always fascinated with magic but Jules never really understood why. There were a lot of things that she didn't understand though so there was nothing new there. Her skin began to crawl when it suddenly came into view above them, the holes in the walls feeling as if they were leaking out the power of the old gate.

Cali took the lead as she always, thankfully, did with people and her face flushed red when Cali seemed to claim she had seen the strange things at the tower instead of her! It quickly passed, though, Jules knew her sister liked to push those buttons in good fun. Usually it wasn't good fun though. She followed Cali's pointing up the side of the tower to a point where the stone seemed to ooze and Jules investigation 4looked aghast at it until she perception 24caught motion out of the corner of her eye and saw Cali's little somatic movements. She shook her head and added only, "Just let us pass and we won't bother your training or whatever Nem has you gearing up for." She glanced over at Cali and shared a look that didn't even require their twinspeak. They could get past this guard and everyone in the yard if they wanted, but it was probably best to not raise a ruckus and let him think he was doing his job. Cali was right in that.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 01:18 PM
Retry's Avatar
Retry Retry is offline
Here to help
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 27th, 2023
RPXP: 37369
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Posts: 9,582
House of ThavilarThe guard holding their spear at an angle looked to Cali with a great deal of skepticism. "To Sergeant Nem? None of the higher-ups here?" their brow lowered and eyes sharpened. Alion mentioned her point of contact was the Sergeant, not anyone higher; how were the twins to know about any officers here? They had no rhyme or reason to head to this overcrowded barrack until this morning. The spear reclined back towards the guard's torso with a dismissive sigh.

"Word already reached the Lord then? Damn! Who told?!" the guard looked first to their partner who could only return their glance "Think it was those mercenaries just trying to extort more coin?"

"I mean, its possible. Could be why the Lord decided to throw more sell swords at it instead of increasing the reward. I'unno how rich folk think! Wha'r'ya asking me for?!" the second solder tilted their gear to gesture holding their palms up in a shrug.

When Cali suddenly pointed with an exclamation the two turned with their whole body to observe. The initial guard let out an explicit word in frustration before following up with "Its getting worse!"

"Oi! Shhh!" the second immediately scolded and tried to act as if they were level headed. It was clear they weren't. A glance into the yard showed almost half had stopped whatever they were doing to look to the tower. There was a general sense of unease that they were trying to shove away by focusing on their drills.

Cali was already in motion as Jules spoke up putting things plain and simple for the two. "Oh-uh- right! In you go then! Sgt. Nem is straight ahead, just inside!" The first guard said but the twins were already in the process of passing them.

When Cali posed her final question the second guard appeared flabbergasted "Most are in tha pile." the answer made little sense at face value. Who kept a pile of tables laying about? Did this outpost second as Table Depot? If Alion knew, would she raid the place herself? Likely not - yet she'd have some choice words.




The eyes of the soldiery looked upon the sisters making their way across the yard. Those who were unfamiliar or were new to the town seemed to have some degree of contempt for the adventurers. While those who had been stationed here a while seemed more curious than anything, some even waved hello.

Arriving at the other end of the yard, one couldn't help but steal a glance upwards. The partially ruined tower reached for the very heavens themselves wishing to scrape each cloud that drifted by. Its uppermost floor was blackened by soot around a large hole that was covered with a tarp and nails. A sizable fissure extended down one of the sides of the building with recent wooden scaffolds constructed around it in an effort to undo this looming disaster. At the base of the tower just beyond the constructed wooden building were two ruined arches that lead into the tower proper. Gaps that would had granted access through means other than through the building were boarded up in unsightly fashion that somehow sullied the already ruined tower.

From up on high, the clouds directly above the tower held a sour color of swirling yellow and green that could not have been seen from outside the grounds.

The first thing one noticed upon entering the garrison was the pile of furniture on the other end of the entry hall. Where a door or archway would have been leading into the tower instead was a mound of chairs, coffee tables, cabinets, and yes - tables. There was even two terracotta planters shoved filled with only dirt to help keep the furniture anchored.

The rug that spanned the thirty foot hall never stood a chance to look decent. Marred in the mud of Leilon's streets it was strewn about from frequent traffic. Of the four rooms accessible from this hallway, only one was opened. From within a discussion could be heard between a few different voices. "Its been a few hours and we've yet to hear a thing!" one voice called

"What if they're on the other side of the barricade trying to get back and they can't?" a second inquired

"No! We're not moving that! Elibro would have been able to send me a message if they were on side.
He hasn't. They're not."
A stern voice barked back the two other voices.

If one were to peak within the open door they would see a modestly sized office with bed rolls lining the walls and empty floor. In the heart of it all was a small desk with a tanned individual sitting cross-legged on top of the desk. He wore rather gaudy scale mail outfitted with rust red leather shoulders emblazoned with the flag of Neverember. An individual who had seen his fair share of battles judging from the scars on his exposed arms and face. A wild main of copper-toned hair was tied back in an unsoldierly fashion. Across his lap was a large tribal glaive decorated with a red ribbon where the wood met the hilt of the blade.

OOGMThe other rooms are unlocked and empty of any occupants. One is an impromptu mess hall, another is a proper armory, and the final seems to be a recently furnished brig.

The individual sitting on the desk is Sergeant Lucas Nem. While he isn't the top-brass around here, he seems to be in charge of the establishment at this moment.

Sgt. Nem has been about town for a while, you are free to decide if your character has any form of familiarity with him. I'll follow your lead unless you explicitly tell otherwise
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 03:10 PM
Retry's Avatar
Retry Retry is offline
Here to help
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 27th, 2023
RPXP: 37369
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Posts: 9,582
Cyra goes scoutingAlthough it appeared to be a tight squeeze to Cali, Cyra seemed more than comfortable worming through the furniture that was piled tall against the tower's entrance. What lay on the other side was a scene of destruction. The entry hall was large but fairly uniform in length and width. Shredded banners of Neverwinter lay in tatters upon the northern and western wall with pieces strewn about below it. A large table was splintered into three different pieces within the center of the room and missing one of its four legs. Upon its remaining surfaces were deep claw marks that were as alien to Cali as they were to Cyra.

Four thin stone pillars were set even in the corners of the room that held the upper floors up, however even they bore claw markings upon them. To the north western corner of the room was an alcove that held a spiral staircase leading upwards. Adjacent to it along the northern portion of the room was a closed door. Off to the north eastern portion of the room was a hallway that lead to a different room on either side; north and south. The southern room once likely housed servants or helping hands as the sheets that were now piled under a mountain of rubble seemed quite personable in design to be of someone in the soldiery. A maroon fluffy comforter embroidered with blue butterflies can be partially made out with goose down surrounding it from a torn pillow.

The northern room seemed to be a proper kitchen with old soup and stew splattered upon the walls and pots and pans knocked about in puddles that are muddied with spilt foodstuff from broken shelves.

Up the spiral stairs Cyra could see the markings upon any given surface seemed to increase in number. There was also a smell that seemed very unfamiliar and unnatural to the cat. Although she were not a proper cat, she had lived as one for quite some time. Primal instincts were starting to surge in with warning signs that even Cali felt. Something was upon this floor. Something unnatural, something predatory and leaving marks upon the place.

The stairs came to a small flat landing allowing one to depart onto the second floor before continuing up in its finite spiral. This floor was a long narrow hallway that was littered with splintered wood and shredded paintings. There were five rooms to this floor cast down the hallway, two to the north and three to the south. Of the five, three were opened.

Then came shouting, it was close. Arguing to be more precise. The words muddled by the stone walls and the design of the hall but it was definitely a man and woman arguing. Then came a guttural cry from furtherer down the hall, one that heightened Cyra's senses and forced the cat to flee. She knew her instructions, she knew what her life meant to the girls. There was something predatory on that floor, something that left those marks and she did not want to meet it!!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old Feb 1st, 2023, 02:58 PM
UngainlyFool's Avatar
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool is offline
a pair of ragged claws
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 27th, 2023
RPXP: 21837
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
Posts: 4,605
Jules
right-aligned image
After taking a peek inside the room, Jules leaned against the wall outside it and put a foot up against it casually. It was amazing the kinds of things you could overhear if you just took a minute to be silent and listen. Cali was next to her, doing that thing where she spaced out to see through Cyra's eyes. Jules had that trick too, though it didn't work on a spirit animal like Cyra. She enjoyed her connection to nature, but the fact that her older sister could do things she couldn't pulled a frown at the corners of her mouth as it always did. She picked at her nails and waited. Though she couldn't see it in the hall, she knew the sickly sky was swirling overhead and the fact that the soldiers had thrown the kitchen sink at the entrance as a makeshift barricade was further evidence that something bad was going on inside.

The younger Frille was about to lose her patience when Cali came to and relayed the situation Cyra had scouted in their silent halfling way. We've got to get in there, she said, as if speaking both their minds. They each had their own motivations but it was amazing how often they were drawn in the same direction. I guess Eilbro dragged some woman in to investigate and had Nem keep it sealed up. We might as well try and get something out of this. She nudged herself off the wall and poked her head in the room again, knocking this time on the door briefly and strolling in as if invited.

"Yeah, so Elibro is not just waiting on the other side," she chimed in as if also invited into their conversation. Jules examined the three men in closer detail, especially the one with the glaive who at least looked the part of the brute who smashed up Ali's inn. "And it sounds pretty bad in there. Elibro doesn't know what he's messing with, I can tell you that much. Anyway, no reason to take down the barricade. In fact, make sure you keep it intact. We can get in another way. This is Cali." She motioned to her twin. "And I'm Jules, and we are here to solve your problem. I just need you to sign an agreement for payment. We'll take every bit of furniture you have piled up out there, as is, " she said, hiking a thumb in the theoretical direction of the barricade, and gave a glance at the table Nem was sitting cross-legged on as if sizing it up rather than him, "And this one too. Cali, you got some paper for the Sergeant to sign?"

Jules smiled and tried her best to be relaxed. "If Elibro is still alive, we'll bring him out and the people he's with. And we'll take care of your tower problem...don't say there isn't a problem. Just sign it and we will be on our way."
OOC
Dice persuasion:
2d20+1kh1 (18, 1 (keeping 18) )+1 Total = 19

Last edited by Retry; Mar 13th, 2023 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Returning to original per UF's request in Discord.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 09:37 AM
Retry's Avatar
Retry Retry is offline
Here to help
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 27th, 2023
RPXP: 37369
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Posts: 9,582
House of ThalivarThere was an amused hum that escaped the throat of the man upon the desk as the two soldiers in his company spun in surprise to Jules' voice.

"Who let you in here?!" a thin human man with pencil sharp facial features exclaimed trying to boast a sense of authority that his visage quickly stole away.
"You should not be in here!" the more squat and rounder of the two exclaimed, their accent almost OOGM - I haven't the foggiest what this would sound like, it just sounded fun to add in haha0distinctly waterhoovian in nature.

"Pipe down you two! Let our guest speak." Nem barked not breaking his gaze on the door where the twins now stood. While they weren't very tall the duo did certainly exude a sense of experience that only those who have endured a life of travel and adventuring could have. Upon the suggestion of payment in the form of furniture Sergeant Nem burst into laughter.

After a few slaps against his knee the man finally settled and let out a content sigh "Was expecting a premium price and I was right. With the missing carpenter in town and the Triboar Trail the way it is, furniture is worth its weight in gold.

How clever to take advantage of such a situation."
the man left it at that and awaited Cali to enter into the room with whatever it was that needed to be signed.

Part way into the room Nem spoke up once more. "'Cept this desk." he said abruptly. "I've come to like this one! The firmness is just what my back needed~" the man said wiggling a bit as if to get even more comfortable. It was clear to the insightful Jules that Nem was simply being obtuse for the heck of it. Any pushback and he would relent with a "Fineee! I'll miss you....desk." the man patted the desk attempting to think of a clever nickname still feigning endearment yet failed... miserably.

OOGMThe papers are signed, so long as there isn't any dubious wording in there. Sergeant Lucas Nem has agreed to the payment of "pile of furniture, plus one lovely desk" in exchange for the extermination of whatever is plaguing the tower and rescue of the seven individuals trapped within.

Nem would mention that along with Elibros there are three adventurers, their captain, second lieutenant, and a logistics officer - who will likely be mad he just traded away furniture.

You can either post your approach or tell me in Discord and I'll continue accordingly

Last edited by Retry; Feb 8th, 2023 at 09:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old Mar 10th, 2023, 10:23 AM
DaysUntold's Avatar
DaysUntold DaysUntold is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 25th, 2023
RPXP: 18282
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
Posts: 2,721
Catch me if you canShe’d relayed her information to Jules almost thoughtlessly, her mind mostly occupied with the implications of what she’d seen and felt. If it were truly Elibros in there, then there must be something strong interfering with his ability to cast if he can’t even reach someone with a message. If it was affecting someone as strong as him, it would affect her as well. What did she have to offer if her magic was taken away? Her fingers itched at the dagger by her side - not that anyone but her considered it as such. Rightfully so, to be fair. Thought it was designed to imitate a small sword, it was really a simple letter opener she’d picked up at one of the libraries she’d frequented after Jules’ constant nagging. [i}”You need a weapon. You can’t always count on magic. What happens if you can’t use it one day… blah blah blah.”[/i] It only made it worse that here they were, in that exact situation, on their first mission in for.ev.er….. Ugh. The only thing that would make it worse was if she actually had to use it. No, scratch that. It would be sooooo much worse if she actually had to use it -and- Jules didn’t even rub her face in it. How dare she be right and the better person?! Cali just barely caught herself before she stuck her tongue out at the back of her sister’s head.

Regardless, now she was in an enchanted tower, possibly unable to use the only useful talent she had, with a letter opener strung to her belt. Sure, she’d had her laugh when Jules had gotten all red and flustered at the sight of her new ‘weapon,’ and sure she’d stored away a couple real weapons in her bag just in case, but all that would only cause to make it worse when she had to dig them out of her bag, proving her little sister right. Maybe she could do it withou-

Finally she realized that Jules had begun striking up terms when she’d been daydreaming.

“Well, we wouldn’t want to leave you empty handed…” Cali began and before long they’d struck up a deal. They take what they need to replace what the inn needed, but leave the rest with the soldiers, free of charge, until it was needed. Not like they needed a store room full of random furniture collecting dust and they certainly didn’t need it on the island where they’d need to drag it to and from every time Jules decided to relocate the yurt.

She glanced through Cyra’s eyes once more to make sure nothing changed before exiting the tower and staring up its side. With a sigh, she bent down and dug around in her bag, shoving aside an assortment of less helpful items before finally closing her fist around the hilts of a pair of daggers buried deep near the bottom. As she straightened to place them in her belt, her eyes caught Jules’. Shut it, she preemptively replied, a slight pull at the side of her lips offering up a hint of a smile, if for no other reason than to break the tension that settled like a fog snuggly around her.

“One more sec,” she whispered to Jules. Her blood thumped in her ears and heart raced as she whispered an enchantment. A thin mist gathered around her, coalescing into a thin barrier between her and the rest of the world momentarily before popping out of sight, its existence only betrayed by a mage armorslight shimmer surrounding her, invisible to all but the keenest of eyes.

“Try to keep up if you can,” she teased, pointing towards a broken window in the tower several feet above her and sticking her tongue out at her twin as she stepped through another coppery mist that had gathered before her. A second later and she winked out of sight.

In the tower, a similar shimmer formed, allowing Cali to step through into a closed room which should be right across from the one Cyra had heard voices through.


Last edited by DaysUntold; Mar 10th, 2023 at 10:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old Mar 13th, 2023, 10:53 AM
UngainlyFool's Avatar
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool is offline
a pair of ragged claws
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 27th, 2023
RPXP: 21837
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
Posts: 4,605
Jules
right-aligned image
Having her wood monopoly scheme get altered by Cali normally would have infuriated Jules, but instead she just smirked. She didn't really care about contracts and payments anyway. She just thought they wouldn't let them in the tower if they just volunteered to go so she invented something for Nem and the guards of the tower to reasonably react to instead. Ali got her tables (or at least some raw material to work) with and they got to get into the tower. Sergeant Nem was someone she hadn't met before and this meeting left her with little flutters that she hadn't felt in quite a while. She scolded herself for it, being careful not to relay her thoughts to her sister who would no doubt never let her live it down. A man compliments you and you immediately get gushy! Idiot! Jules let Cali finish up and tried to not look at the officer casually sitting on top of his desk.

They made the short walk to the tower and Jules noticed Cali taking her old daggers out of her pack to replace the ridiculous letter opener her sister wore to irritate her. Cali said Shut it. and Jules just threw her hands out in an exaggerated aggrievement. She was just glad Cali was taking this tower seriously. Being this close to it, she could almost physically feel the unnatural magic of the place and the open wound that gashed the sky at its top. Whatever was skulking around in there and scared Cyra was just the tip of the arrow.

Jules, for her part, came ready for adventure and didn't need to adjust her gear any. She watched Cali cast her spells of protection and then disappear in the orange mist. It was one of the few bits of magic Jules shared with her sister though it came from different traditions She shook her head at the challenge and rather than join her and use up what limited energies she had for magic, she placed her hands on the tower wall and deftly moved up the sade of it with her small limbs as if she was flying. It felt good to put her muscles to use in this way, jambing her fingers in handholds, gripping a ledge with the tips of her toes, jumping for a new hold. Scaling a wall like this had stopped being a challenge for Jules, but it was still fun. As she reached the floor where her sister popped into existence, she peered through a foggy window at her. Almost without effort, the Horizon Walker stepped through the wall. She felt her body slide through the thin membrane between planes, entering another world where things like stone and mortar held no barrier to her. It was like walking into a verdant pond and the film of the plane's surface coated her and protected her until she reemerged back into the world that existed before; the one with her sister and other things she cared about. What she didn't feel was the small rippleher movement had caused and the vibration it sent out to beings that could feel such things.

Her bow was in her hand, put there in her instantaneous travel. Where to? she asked matter of factly. She was used to leading the way in situations like this, until Cali forgot the danger around them and wandered off ahead against better judgement. She listened for sounds of activity near them.
OOC
Dice perception:
1d20+11 (17)+11 Total = 28
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 12:31 PM
Retry's Avatar
Retry Retry is offline
Here to help
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 27th, 2023
RPXP: 37369
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Posts: 9,582
House of Thalivar - 2nd floorThe point of view from the family cat emerged from the darkness of Cali's thoughts as if it were her own. A cramped alcove where only a set of stone spiral stairs twisted up or down in a tight spiral. There was little place to properly hide in here, yet it at least granted distance from ... whatever it was on this floor. Should she hear it coming, she'd flee. Per instinctual protocol. The girls would come soon, she just had to wait.

The vision faded. Very little information was to be had from the peak, yet it was comforting to know Cyra was still okay.

right-aligned image
The room the two had arrived in was awfully plain. Two beds, and a dresser. The door was closed firmly yet not locked. The air... unseasonably cool and a slight mist drift on the air. When it gathered or swirled on the edge of natural light it held a soft swirl of colors to it that mimicked the starry night sky in unnatural and magical ways.

From somewhere muffled word could be heard. Bickering. Both a masculine and feminine tone as Cyra had heard. There was a slight twinge of franticness on their tone - yet something more caught the fine hearing of the huntress.

>tick-tick-tick...tick...tick-tick....tack-tick-ta-ta-tick-ta-tick<

The sharp taps of... something struck against the stony wall to the area to their right. The same area that Cyra seemed to fear. Something was there and going by the sounds it had a lot of sharp-pointed limbs.



If the door was to be opened they would be greeted to the scared hallway. Deep single-swiped grooves seemed to carve around the walls, floor, and even the ceiling. The muffled voices came from a door that was a roughly ten feet closer to the stairs where Cyra hid. The walls and thick oak door here bore many, many clawed markings and splintered pieces of the enduring door littered the ground beneath its frame.

The other doors in the hall seemed to be closed as well. Save for one. The one at the end of the hall to their right, opposite end of the stairs. The one where the sharp footsteps could be heard.

 
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old Apr 7th, 2023, 02:17 PM
UngainlyFool's Avatar
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool is offline
a pair of ragged claws
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 27th, 2023
RPXP: 21837
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
Posts: 4,605
Jules
right-aligned image
The door cracked open and two, twin heads poked out to examine the empty wreckage of the hallway. Slowly the heads retreated and the door closed silently again.

Though Ghostwise were notoriously brave like most Hin, the two women hadn't gotten where they were in life by being foolhardy. It sounds like a crab? Jules silently communicated to her sister. I don't know, an armored spider? Stuff that comes out of the Planes is a nightmarish mess. No telling what combo of horrors it is. Whatever it is, it's big and it's mad. You think we should try and get their help? Last thing I want is to get into their room though and get attacked or worse...get talked out of taking care of that thing. Cali knew Jules' stance on the matter. She wasn't going to leave this place without killing the abomination. Whatever Conclave she allied herself with made her quite stubborn on that point. But that wasn't unusual for Jules even before.

So what? Take care of it ourselves, or try and talk with those dummies first? She pointed dismissively in the direction of the room with the voices. You want to take the door, she wiggled her fingers to mimic Cali's gifts, or let me? Lockpicks were produced seemingly out of nowhere in her fingers. "I think Cyra is safe where she is for now." she whispered, lending strength to those words with her actual voice. Jules knew how close her sister was with her family's constant guardian/companion.
 

Last edited by UngainlyFool; Apr 7th, 2023 at 02:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old Apr 7th, 2023, 09:01 PM
DaysUntold's Avatar
DaysUntold DaysUntold is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 25th, 2023
RPXP: 18282
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
Posts: 2,721
Pay no attention to the girl attempting charadesCali hesitated but nodded, taking a moment to evaluate the threat. She was glad Cyra was safe but hesitant to attempt to unlock the door manually, especially when some gods knows what was stalking these halls stealing magic and stuff. Who does that anyways? The nerve. Regardless, she was also reluctant to have her sister phase through something when she couldn’t see the other side. No matter how much she played around with her own spells or studied tomes she found, she still didn’t understand how her twin could manage such a thing. Cali was certain that she’d find her half stuck in a wall one day, but it hadn’t happened yet. She told herself that it was this worry that irritated her about the strange ability and not her sister’s mastery of something so far beyond her own reach. Though, in all honesty, it was probably both.

Might as well check on them first, she replied silently. No use in risking them trying something stupid like ‘coming to our rescue’ if they hear a commotion. Plus I wanna know what happened with his magic. Just, uh, you go on in first and let me know if you feel any weird tingling or something like that...

Sparing enough time for a small smirk, she nodded towards the door and made a gesture that was far overly complicated, as if a five year old was trying to pretend to pick a lock rather than having the invisible hand do so. She didn’t need to do anything of the sort to make the spell work, but she’d been acting out the hand’s actions ever since she started using it, as if they were needed to make the spell work, in case there was a time she wanted to use it to trick her sister without her knowing. Sure they were quite possibly in a life or death situation, but that was no reason to neglect details.

OOC
 

Last edited by DaysUntold; Apr 7th, 2023 at 09:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:56 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB