Game Thread Chapter 1 - Lost - Page 15 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > The Lawless City > Group A
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #211  
Old Feb 20th, 2023, 08:19 AM
Touketsu's Avatar
Touketsu Touketsu is offline
Mysterious Ice Ninja
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 25th, 2024
RPXP: 12959
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Posts: 5,903
Damien Buranta
right-aligned image


Damien listened to Ariadne's story intently, his face neutral, but his mind a flurry of thoughts. Ever the same story pointing to the absolute truth that Tilly was a collector of broken people, using weakness and vulnerability to wring every last bit of value out of those she owned, too powerful and scary to cross, with the added advantage of somehow being the lesser of many potential evils. He imagined that was a big part of what made Sandraminae so valuable to the woman... not just because she was loyal and capable, but because she put a more appealing, caring face on the whole operation, guiding with a gentler hand and keeping people in line with kindness and warnings of bad times past... making Tilly out to be the monster you could at least live with.

When Ariadne had finished her story, she punctuated it with a question and a word of warning... and Damien was left wondering how he should respond. He knew deep down what he wanted and the lengths he was willing to go to to get it... but would that path really just lead to death or becoming Tilly? Before he could say anything though, the wizard stirred, and Damien's attention returned to her. She slumped over again, but it wouldn't be long before they needed to run damage control; for the moment, the conversation seemed to be over, particularly when Ariadne confirmed Damien's suspicions; the woman was a sell-spell. That made the situation very dicey... but not necessarily unsalvageable. She was injured after all, and not by their hand. If the University's reputation was worth a damn, those trained there had at least a modicum of common sense, and she'd likely been paid quite well already by the mysterious gnome from earlier. It was in her best interest that the deal still go through without incident, and in her present state, it would be... problematic to take on an entire group of unaccounted strangers when the alternative was to simply hear them out, take the gem, and get on with things.

But first, Damien needed to control the vibe.

"Ariandne..." Damien turned to the panicking girl, standing and placing a hand on her shoulder to focus her. "I'm sure the others have it. Why don't you go check in with them... let them know our friend is awake and could use a healer. I've got this." Giving her a small squeeze and a reassuring nod, he gestured passively toward the door, waiting for her to begin moving before he returned his focus to the wizard. "Glad you're awake. I imagine you're in a lot of pain. We'll see to that momentarily... if you promise not to start slinging spells at us. We just want to talk, okay?" Damien's eyes stayed on the woman as he slowly sat back down across from her, keeping his hands visible so as not to startle her or drawn further suspicion. "You were shot. The ones responsible for that are mostly dead; you're welcome. The actual triggerman is currently being collected by my friend in case you're looking to extract a bit of justice for yourself. One thing at a time though."
Rolls & ActionsJust going for a general diplomacy check on Damien's delivery of what he said; trying to keep her as calm and willing to cooperate as possible under the circumstances.

Diplomacy: 17
Stats
 
__________________
I have taken the Oath!
Reply With Quote
  #212  
Old Feb 20th, 2023, 05:24 PM
Lentil Sponge's Avatar
Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge is offline
Cleaner of the Royal Butt
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 13th, 2024
RPXP: 4160
Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge
Posts: 2,142
Location Map Season Day Time Weather
Burnett Mews South I7 Harvest 104 of 120 1:27am Clear

Big FoxBig Fox gulped lowly as the conversation came back and forth, landing on him, before drifting away again. He initially answered Tarbin's orders in silence, wiping away the combination of blood, mucus and tears all over his cheeks and chin, with only a whimper of "Yessir, sorry-sir, won't-happen-again-sir." The implicit (and explicit) threats by Vyeggar just make him paler. "D-daddy doesn't even know I'm out," he whispered to himself, upon hearing that he may be taken prisoner or killed. But at least the terrifying halfling has moved away from him. Instead, the one person who hasn't said they were going to kill him walked forward.

Walked forward and seemed as if he ballooned. Not because he did, but because of his magic. His aura. It swelled and it overpowered Big Fox entirely. Fear grew, but his panic... dulled. This gnome was an important man, and if Damidex Longinus knew anything, it was that important men had to be listened to.

"K-Kasturr? The kobold, right?" he asked nervously. "He comes by my father's estate, occasionally. Dad hates him and charges him double, so he only comes by when he wants a weapon he really can't get anywhere else. Like this crossbow he got a couple of weeks ago, kind of a grappling hook thing that could send him flying from rooftop to rooftop." Damidex's lips then thinned, and he blushed a little. "Most of the time, though, Kasturr's only on the estate because he broke in. He'll want to know who's bought some crazy thing involved in a case of his, or who bought gunpowder, or whatever. He, errr... you didn't hear this from me... he might bribe certain persons with stories about other gangs, or... umm... prostitutes..."

Big Fox's brain, what little there was of it, seemed to only now register the second part of the sentence. "Hang on, what's he doing at the Dead Mermaid? Why would he..." Then his eyes widen, growing like suns at the dawn. "Wait, you're... are... no! Do you work for Tilly One-Eye Gansog?!" His brow hardened, and now his mouth stayed open. Shock. Terror. But also something more. Curiosity. Suddenly, you were all gangsters to him. But there was also something else... he started to look at each of you as if, somehow, you were not of this earth. "So... like... what is she actually like? No horse-****, no rumours, no whatever. How much of it is true? It can't all be true, right?" Then his voice dropped to a whisper. "Does she actually eat people? What about the basement, have any of you gone down there? Can she kill elves with just her mind? That's impossible, right?"

It was maybe moments after that when Ariadne burst through the door to her apartment block. She looked around to each of you, gave Big Fox a semi-hateful semi-pitying look, gave the completely silent Sliggitz an entirely-hateful non-pitying grimace, and then turned her pleading eyes back across all of you. "Please... where's the Prism Gem? The wizard's awake, b-but if I don't have it... there's been no point to any of this. I need my ticket out of that casino..." Then her eyes widened as she remembered something, turning onto Tarbin specifically. "She's stable, but she's hurt. D-do you think you could heal her?"



Vyeggar had a somewhat uneasy walk towards the furthest apartment block. There was an odd tension in the air. He couldn't see a dropped weapon. There was more and more candlelight appearing in windows, as the rubberneckers and the light sleepers peered cautiously out of their windows. Fights in the street were common. Death was a fact of life. But these deaths were noisy, and they drew eyes and ears.

But, finally, Vyeggar reached the front door. It gently swayed open, and in the doorway stood an old lizardfolk, her dulled scales aged and grimy. "I-i-i-if it's the goblin you're after, she's gone," she croaked. "I had no idea what she wanted my apartment for. I was staying with a neighbour wondering why I'd been paid so well for one night, and then... well... the banging noises." She tried to look past Vyeggar's shoulder. "Is anyone hurt? She was swearing and shouting a whole lot. Sounded like a war."


Location Map Season Day Time Weather
Ariadne's Apartment I7 Harvest 104 of 120 1:27am Clear

In Ariadne's HomeAt Damien's reassuring, but firm, touch, Ariadne seemed to become more conscious of what was going on and where she was. She just nodded shakily. "Mmhmm... yeah, I can do that." Then, taking in a deep breath, she rose to her feet and left.

Leaving Damien alone with the wizard.

She glared at him distrustfully. Her arm had been repaired a little during the fight, when Tarbin healed everyone, but it still looked like a nasty wound. The robe was shredded entirely where the bullet had exploded her shoulder, and even now Damien should see the ugly brown bruising of internal bleeding. Not fatal, but not unpainful. With her good arm she began to pat herself all over, making sure that she hadn't been robbed. Satisfied after a few pats, her shouldered relaxed a little.

"Some revenge would be nice," the wizard grunted. "But I agree. One thing at a time. Starting with who the hell you are. I'm guessing Ariadne's told you what she knows about me." She then briefly looked at the door that Ariadne had left through. "I should summon my client. Something tells me that the deal's back on." From beneath her robes she drew a small, smooth rock. It filled her palm, and was covered in mystic etchings. She rubbed her thumb along the etchings to summon...

... no one.

Her brow furrowed. "This thing really struggles with very long distance." Another rub. No response. Another, firmer rub. No response. "... why aren't you responding, you bitch?" A rub hard enough to leave her thumb white... and nothing. She looked up to Damien with a little more urgency. "None of your lot spoke to her, did they?"

Last edited by Lentil Sponge; Feb 20th, 2023 at 05:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old Feb 21st, 2023, 07:04 AM
Touketsu's Avatar
Touketsu Touketsu is offline
Mysterious Ice Ninja
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 25th, 2024
RPXP: 12959
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Posts: 5,903
Damien Buranta
right-aligned image


Relieved that the wizard seemed suspicious, but reasonable, Damien considered how best to word his response to her question. As she visibly relaxed a bit, so did he, being sure to keep his hands visible to appear as forthcoming as possible.

"Truthfully, who we are is mostly irrelevant to this; we came as a favor to a friend of Ariadne. Said friend was aware of the gem, knew a deal like this might be brewing, and was afraid Ariadne might be in over her head. We were asked to keep watch and keep her safe from any dangerous potential buyers or opportunists... evidently, it wasn't the buyer we should have been worried about." Damien glared subtly in the direction of the door before continuing. "If you'd like something more specific than "Ariadne's friend" though, you can call me Damien. As for you, she only told me what you do and not much else. I know a little about your line of work, but hardly more than the average citizen with the odd rumor in their ear."

Damien fell silent, waiting for the wizard to summon her client. At this point, he was more worried about what the gnome might have to say than the caster before him, who honestly just seemed like she wanted to get this business done and over with and collect her fee. Simple and respectable... but from what little he'd seen of the gnome during the fight, it was difficult to tell if she would be so quick to put the evening's complications into the past so easily. Watching the wizard attempt to summon the gnome with increasing frustration, he did his best to keep a neutral expression as she asked him if any of his people had spoken to her.

The truth was simple enough; he'd done so himself right at the beginning of the conflict. But was there potentially more to the issue? Tough as it was to keep track in the mayhem of the fight, the few moments the gnome HAD been present, she seemed very intensely focused on someone. As best as the vishkanya could tell, that someone had been Grim, but he couldn't know for sure. All he knew was that he knew a look of hatred when he saw it... but wait, that wasn't all. Before the shooting had started, the wizard had said the gnome's name... Grimzinta.

'... okay Grim... what's going on?'

There was more to the situation than initially met the eye, and Damien found himself a little worried about just what the gnome woman might have to say if she DID respond to the summons.

"I did... at least, I tried to, just before the fight. I was trying to warn her you were walking into an ambush. I failed to realize in time that she was only a magical manifestation. Otherwise, no. We were pretty focused on the goon squad after that." It was an honest answer... at least, he thought it was. Maybe Grim had recognized family and spoken to her while he was invisible? Regardless, Damien wasn't sure where this currently left him regarding the odd pair; at this point, he was just hoping for the best.
Stats
 
__________________
I have taken the Oath!
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old Feb 21st, 2023, 05:04 PM
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 29th, 2024
RPXP: 6955
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott
Posts: 1,298
Grim 4/7
right-aligned image

Grim kept the blood pool dancing as he listened to the Elf's words, first confirming his suspicions about Kasturr, then starting to ask questions of his own about Tilly and the Casino, He could see the expression growing on Tarbin's face and knew Big Fox was moments away from another beating. Ariadne appeared moments later asking about the Prism Gem, then beseeching Tarbin to heal the Wizardess. It was the perfect opportunity to divert their attention away from the Magical Gem currently hidden in his pocket.

He wasn't sure if he planned to keep it or return it to Ariadne, It was her's after all and seemed to be her ticket out from under Tilly's thumb and he certainly didn't begrudge her that, but it was an extremely dangerous artefact and if the buyer was Nalia, then he could not let that little witch get her hands on it, she was already dangerous enough without a Void Prism. For now he would keep silent about having it in his possession until he could speak to this Wizardess and find out what she intended to do with it, but to do that she would need healing it seems.

With a subtle manipulation of his magical Aura, his eyes shifted briefly to a fiery demonic red as he glared down at the jabbering Big Fox, his voice booming momentarily as he call out the mans name to catch and refocus his attention

"DAMIDEX!"

His voice returned to normal, softening to almost a caring tone but his eyes still glowed "Damidex my boy, Be Silent. You are here to answer questions not ask them so curb that tongue before it is removed. No more talk about One-Eye Gansog, there are some questions you do not want to learn the answers too, believe me. Now let the grown ups talk and you might still get out of this situation with your sanity and life intact"

"Mister Haldar, Lady Liana. Perhaps we should take the remainder of this discussion inside with Mr Buranta and offer the young wizardess some assistance as Ariadne asks? The mewling of Mr Longinus here is starting to draw attention. Goblins fighting and dying in the street might be a common enough in this part of town but an Elf of this mans obvious wealth is a much more uncommon and memorable sight"


Actions & MovementTurn Summary
Initiative:
Move:
Action: Prestidigitation Effects
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Other:
Conditions:


Stat Block
 

Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old Feb 26th, 2023, 03:15 PM
CatCanCook's Avatar
CatCanCook CatCanCook is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 8th, 2024
RPXP: 8048
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
Posts: 8,974
Destroy the gem!Liana, for her part, had her target. She fixed in memory what the scumbag idiot Little Fox said:

Quote:
"Big Coyote! She's regularly comes to pester me!" he explained hastily. "I see her stroke of twelve, on the dot, every five days! I saw her yesterday, so she'll be at my place on Day 108 of the Harvest, I wager!"
If she could capture and interrogate Big Coyote, that would be a path to finding Big Dog -- whose comings and goings were otherwise unpredictable.

The other thing would be to investigate what the word among the staff at Madame Tabors might have to say about the Dogs.

As for the other matters, she was indifferent to what happens with Ariadne or the Wizard; though the wizard, for wanting the Void Prism for a client, was suspect. That evil gem ought to be destroyed -- if that was possible, or delivered to some holy temple where it might be handled appropriately.

She nodded appreciatively at Tarbin, who shared her perspective on what to do with the gem. Inside the house (as Grim advised), away from prying eyes and nosy ears, she took him to the side, a bit away from the others. "Do you know how such a gem might be destroyed? Think to your religious studies."

She concentrated, trying to enhance Tarbin's focus on matters of religious knowledge

 

Last edited by CatCanCook; Feb 26th, 2023 at 03:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old Feb 27th, 2023, 03:28 AM
Alatere's Avatar
Alatere Alatere is offline
Crazy Kobold
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 9775
Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere
Posts: 12,354
Tarbin Haldar
right-aligned image
Tarbin was certainly no genius but even he did not think mentioning the Dead Mermaid Casino was a smart idea not if they were planning to leave the elf alive. And sure enough as soon as the name was mentioned the elf began to ask questions of his own. Tarbin was about to step forwards and remind the boy that they were the ones asking the questions but Grim beat him to the punch so he instead just frowned and looked down at the elf.

Tarbin by now had enough information to hunt down other members of the Bigs, ones that may have actually been involved… ones who were more deserving of punishment so he partially tuned out what Damidex was saying.

When Ariadne rushed in Tarbin glanced round expecting more trouble but relaxed slightly when he saw it was only the girl and that she was fine.

”Ofcourse Ariadne… one moment…” Tarbin replied softly before suddenly spinning round and without warning lashing out with an unexpected blow that struck the Damidex on the side of the head and spun his head round from the force. When it came to fighting with one’s fists Tarbin was a professional and rather than dealing long lasting damage the blow had been dealt in such away that all the force and momentum transferred to elf’s head in such a rapid and disorientating movement that he would be hard pressed not to give in to unconsciousness. Sure enough Big Fox once again crumpled on to the ground.

With a shake of a head the large man then reached down and hauled the unconscious elf up before throwing him over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes.

”Trust me, it was for his own good…” Tarbin then explained in response to the looks he likely got.

”Now please take me to the wizard Ariadne. I can tend to her wounds and anyone else who needs tending to aswell…” the large man declared.

”Sliggitz stay close and stay quiet, unless you wish to take a rest like your boss!” Tarbin then declared as he cast a stern eye on the goblin.

Later at Liana’s question Tarbin gave the question some careful thought.




ooc- Dealing subdual damage to ‘Big Fox’ to knock him out

Dice How to destroy the void prism:
1d20+7 (10)+7 Total = 17
Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old Mar 3rd, 2023, 06:14 AM
Lentil Sponge's Avatar
Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge is offline
Cleaner of the Royal Butt
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 13th, 2024
RPXP: 4160
Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge
Posts: 2,142
Location Map Season Day Time Weather
Burnett Mews South I7 Harvest 104 of 120 1:27am Clear

Big FoxBy now, even Grim's fearsome gaze couldn't shut Damidex up. "But she's a real gangster, right?! Are the 29 real?! Does sh-" Instead, it was a very easy, if harder than necessary, punch from Tarbin that silenced the boy. He collapsed with all of the grace and ceremony of a bag of hammers, a long cut instantly appearing on his temple.

At the punch, Ariadne jolted in surprise. Sliggitz winced in silence, and the two of them obediently followed behind Tarbin as he, Liana and Grim, carted the limp body of Damidex, aspiring gangster and son of a weaponsmith, into Ariadne's home.


Location Map Season Day Time Weather
Ariadne's Apartment I7 Harvest 104 of 120 1:27am Clear

In Ariadne's HomeThe wizard kept on massaging the stone in the same manner, over and over again. No response. Eventually, she gave herself time to stop, letting her reddening thumb fade back to a normal skin tone. She glared at Damien, trying to find some reason for him to be lying, only to find none and be frustrated by this very fact. When nothing worked as it should, the one thing she seemed to hope for was someone to blame.

"... magic spells can cause these things to be damaged due to the auras colliding with one another, like rivers crashing against each other, but..." The wizard seemed to put this theory out of mind again. A few theories spilled out of her, before fading into pained little murmurs. "She should know I'm alive, otherwise how could I message her? I bet you think I failed you and this is punishment, you pompous bitch!"

There was a wince as she irritated her shoulder again. No sooner did she do this that Tarbin walked in, the rest of the party in tow save for Vyeggar. Ariadne frantically pushed her way through to Tarbin's side, hastily asking "Is there anything I can do to help? Water, towels, anything?"

"Whisky," the wizard sarcastically grunted, before her eyes cast over Tarbin, Liana and Grim. She shook the Stone in her hands like a teacher's rod. "None of you spoke to my client? None of you at all?"

"And which one of you has the Prism Gem?!" Ariadne interrupted hastily, her hysteria starting to overtake her. Her hands went into her long mop of black hair, tugging at the usually well-kept strands in stress. "Don't think I didn't notice when none of you spoke up! You might enjoy your time as Tilly's slaves, but I intend to get out! If no one is willing to help me, I'll..." The threat completely died in her throat, both because you all saved her life, and because there was absolutely no threat she could make. Only a desperate plea. "Right now, my sister might have a future because Tilly has me by the throat. But if I can sell the Prism Gem, we both have a future for certain. But I need it! Please! I know the Gem's bad news, but let that be the gnome's problem!"

As her panic overwhelmed Ariadne, it also blinded her to the wizard looking to Sliggitz suspiciously. "She knows that's not it's name, right?"

A defeated shrug. A goblin staring at his own feet. "My first time hearing that. Boss only ever called it the Prism Gem. Same with his dad."

The wizard's eyes widened, then narrowed. "... what did your boss tell my client it was?"

"I dunno... powerful gem, I guess." He briefly looked to the body on Tarbin's shoulders, his ugly, thick lips thinning slightly. "Kid's got more money than sense. A lot more money."

The wizard's brow furrowed. "We'll cross that bridge later." She turned her attention back on Tarbin, Liana and Grim again, silently pressing for an answer.
Out of CharacterSorry to skip over you, NoQuarter19, though my post shouldn't interfere with your actions.

Just needed to get a short post out and done before I vanish for the weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old Mar 4th, 2023, 12:38 AM
CatCanCook's Avatar
CatCanCook CatCanCook is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 8th, 2024
RPXP: 8048
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
Posts: 8,974
I think we're done here
right-aligned image
Liana spoke her opinion. "I think we are done here."

She bit back her comments. The quote prism gem unquote is a thing of the Swirling Light. Not to be trafficked in, but to be treated as the Heavenly Master decree should be done to such soulless evil. She believed this with conviction and zeal. But the wizard was being cagey about what the thing was ... why should she enlightened anyone she had no reason to trust. Why should she even speak and draw the attention of the wizard -- the Sell Spell from the University?

As for the the girl, the goblin, and the wizard: what did she owe them? Nothing! The girl was protected and not dead, she should be grateful. And she was better off as a bondservant than a free collaborator with evil. The goblin, well he lived by unhappy chance. The rich weaponsmith's son could be useful -- his usefulness would begin and end at the "stroke of twelve, on the dot, on Day 108 of the Harvest". But the wizard -- who was she? Her client sounded ... somehow disturbing and awful. Liana could not put her finger on it, but a supernatural gnome that wanted such an corrupt thing? How could good come of that?

She hoped, simply, that she and he companions would wrap this errand. This was not finding Kasturr, not finding the lost chest, not gaining justice against a murdering gangster, nor serving or protecting the Family. There was nothing for her here, and she hoped her companions saw the sense to cut loose from this unwanted complication.

 


Last edited by CatCanCook; Mar 4th, 2023 at 12:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old Mar 4th, 2023, 11:02 PM
Noquarter19's Avatar
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 is offline
It's clobberin' time
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 29th, 2024
RPXP: 19219
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Posts: 4,546
Vyeggar Vugmuk
right-aligned image
Credit to @TSRodriguez14


For a minute after
Dice * Perception (searching for the last goblin):
1d20+3 (4)+3 Total = 7
unsuccessfully searching the apartment, Vyeggar just stared distantly out the window of the old woman’s home. From his elevated vantage point he had a clear line of fire to the now empty street below. There was no sign that only minutes before a bloody battle had taken place with several fatalities. The half-orc tried to ignore the old woman’s stuttering. He wanted to tell her to shut up. He wanted to punch something. He wanted a beer and a bl*wjob. Unfortunately, there was no time for that right now.

”It’s okay,” he said quietly to the old woman. ”She’s gone, and, lucky for her, I don’t think she’s coming back. Are you alright?” He eyed the elderly lady with a discerning eye but saw no visible injuries. ”I’m glad you weren’t hurt. Lock your door after I leave. I’m sorry you had to deal with this.” The woman was just an innocent old lady who hadn’t asked for any of this bulls**t. The kindest thing Vyeggar could do was to let her be. And so, he left.

It was a few minutes later before he abruptly entered the now crowded apartment of Ariadne. His patience with this job was at an end, and his irritation with all parties involved – the living and the dead – had drained away as quickly as blood down a sewer grate. He looked at the unconscious elf and would have slapped the little mouse back awake for information, but it turned out that was unnecessary. Sliggitz was still alive and conscious, and so Sliggitz would have to suffice.

”You,” he said, pointing at the rueful goblin with one large light-green finger which was now mostly devoid of bloodstains. ”You are going to tell me where your other little friend ran off to. She was nowhere to be found by the time I got up the street, and I’m still not entirely against burning this place to the ground with you and everyone involved tied up inside it if it means getting answers. So if you don’t want you and your elf friend here to be turned into a friendly neighborhood pig roast, you will This I think I will take 10 on if you’ll let me, for an 18 intimidate.tell me where your last living friend has run off to. Besides, I think our little wizard friend here would love to meet the sharpshooter who damn near took her arm off at the shoulder. Isn’t that right, crazy lady?” he said, looking toward the injured spellcaster

 

__________________
normal image without text wrap
A watched game never updates...

Posting status: Around.
Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old Mar 6th, 2023, 06:53 PM
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 29th, 2024
RPXP: 6955
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott
Posts: 1,298
Grim 4/7
right-aligned image

Grim was a little taken aback when Tarbin once more struck Damidex, silencing his questions and putting the talkative Elf to sleep. He was about to snap at the large man but seeing how easily he had rendered the boy unconscious he thought better of it and after a moment to calm his nerves, Grim gave Tarbin a big smile

"I could have put the boy to sleep for you if you had asked Mr Haldar, but i will say your method is certainly much more efficient"

The gnome followed the small group as Tarbin effortlessly carried the unconscious Damidex into Ariadne's apartment, rejoining the others, though he noticed that Vyeggar was not with them as Grim found himself a seat and rested, listening to the myriad of small conversations and accusations flying around the room. The Sell Spell was not so easily distracted from the task she had been called there to do, and as she asked if any of them had spoken to her client, Ariadne seemed to remember about the gemstone as well and started asking and begging again.

Grim remained silent for a few moments more as he considered his position, he was about to answer when their Half-Orc friend reappeared, he had apparently gone to find the second rifleman but appeared to have not had any luck. As Vyeggar threatened Sliggitz about the location of his companion, Grim considered his words carefully before he decided to bite the bullet and answer the wizard and Ariadne

"I have the Void Prism"

His voice was softly spoken and calm but it carried around the room easily, each hearing his words as if he was standing beside them, clearly using his magic to make himself heard throughout the room.

"I will not return it to your hands Ariadne, it is far too dangerous a weapon for you to carry but if your friend and i can come to an agreement i will give it to her on your behalf and let you complete your transaction"

Grim turned his gaze to the Sell-Spell once more, now he had admitted he possessed the crystal he seemed to have her attention

"Am i to understand that you are acting as an intermediary between Ariadne and another client? So you will purchase the crystal from Ariadne and then sell it on, at a profit i assume, to the client? do i have that right?"

"If that is the case then i would like to complete that transaction but i have a stipulation that you do not sell it on to your current client, you will be able to find another for such an item easily"

"Yes i spoke to your client, although it would be more accurate to say that she spoke to me, and by speak i mean taunt and gloat"

At his revelation that he had spoken to the Illusionary gnome he could see the looks the others were giving him, her name had been thrown around and his new friends were an intelligent collection of individuals so he knew they would have suspicions.

"I know your client very well and i can tell you now that she will not honor her side of the bargain. she can not be trusted"

"She calls herself the Weaver of Souls, because she thinks it makes her sound mysterious and dangerous. But really its because she is a pompous self centred conceited B*$ch"

"Her Name is Nalia. Nalia Hillivi Grimzinta. She is my kid sister and a more vile cruel piece of filth you could not hope to meet"

"As much as i despite the woman, i will admit that her magical talents are considerable. She is a prodigy but giving someone like her access to a Void Prism would be a catastrophic mistake"

"So, its quite simple, give me your word you will find a new client and the stone is yours. If not then you will have to kill me to get it as i have no intention of putting this much power in that woman's hands"


Actions & MovementTurn Summary
Initiative:
Move:
Action: Prestidigitation Effects
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Other:
Conditions:


Stat Block
 

Reply With Quote
  #221  
Old Mar 6th, 2023, 11:47 PM
CatCanCook's Avatar
CatCanCook CatCanCook is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 8th, 2024
RPXP: 8048
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
Posts: 8,974
Liana scowls
right-aligned image
Liana scowled at Grim.

Fool, she mouthed softly. He was expected the wizard, someone unknown and likely motivated to lie, to tell the truth? And he was just giving away the Void Prism? It was evil; it should be destroyed. Granted, the woman Ariadne had some claim to it: and they were on a mission to protect her. But ... doing the works of righteousness in battling the Swirling Light was surely more important than keeping promises to non-Family members.

She took a position on the opposite side of the wizard from Grim, and assumed the Stance of Piercing Rays. Afterall ... he had just invited her to kill him. (Fool). And she did not want to be on the same side as the blast. And if the wizard didn't kill him, maybe she would.

But her fury did not stop her split mind from calculating ... calculating .... She focused on Damien. She would try to psionically support Damien in detecting whether the wizard was about to utter a lie. Maybe that could haul the gnome back from his idiocy.

With the halfling's eyes boring at him, Damien felt his alertness and attentiveness increase...

(Will it make any difference?)

 


Last edited by CatCanCook; Mar 6th, 2023 at 11:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old Mar 11th, 2023, 09:01 AM
Touketsu's Avatar
Touketsu Touketsu is offline
Mysterious Ice Ninja
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 25th, 2024
RPXP: 12959
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Posts: 5,903
Damien Buranta
right-aligned image


It was becoming clear that this gem wasn't something to be taken lightly... and neither was the mysterious gnome who was after it. As much as Damien wanted to help Ariadne, he had to admit the larger motivation for allowing this deal to go through was simply to not make any more enemies than they already had. This was an off-the-books mission; one that had quickly escalated from babysitting to bloodshed and brokering dangerous goods for more dangerous people. If any of this came back at them on Tilly's turf, it was going to make a bad situation MUCH worse.

For the moment, a united front was key, and while Damien certainly had his assumptions about who was currently carrying the void prism, he didn't know for sure... and if they weren't speaking up, he certainly wasn't about to out them to Ariadne or the sell spell. Grim made the silence quite unnecessary however, revealing he possessed the piece... and revealing much more. Sure enough, the two gnomes WERE related... siblings, no less. What followed was a very nobly-intentioned attempt by Grim to do what he probably saw as the right thing... in reality, the "right thing" was subjective, and offering up the gem while looking to alter the conditions of the wizard's contract was nothing short of half-measured optimism. By the time the words "you will have to kill me" had crossed Grim's lips, Damien was actively suppressing a wince and forcing himself to maintain a relaxed posture. This was NOT going to go their way... but now that Grim had revealed the void prism, it was doubtful the wizard would let them go off and side-bar to discuss a plan after the fact.

"I'm sure that's not going to be necessary. Every person here not dead or unconscious knows this would be a FOOLISH time and place to be going at each other's throats again... we're going to talk, come to an agreement that makes the most sense for everyone, and part ways like this entire night never happened. Right?"

Liana at this point had repositioned herself out of the path of any potential spells aimed at taking Grim up on his "kill me" terms. Smart... and while Damien wanted to think the wizard recognized that picking a fight with all of them by herself was a bad idea, he had no real idea of her capabilities. Still, he remained where he sat across from her; not because he trusted he'd be safe, but because he could feel the influence of Liana on his senses, sharpening his observational abilities as he appraised the wizard for her reaction. The vishkanya's eyes drifted up to the halfling for only a moment, giving her an affirming look before he returned his attention to the sell spell. She was trying to help him figure out something regarding the wizard's intentions. To that end, the best and only place for him to read her like a book was exactly where he currently sat.
Rolls & ActionsDamien will play ball and try and figure out if the wizard's words are to be trusted.

Sense Motive: 18
Stats
 
__________________
I have taken the Oath!
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old Mar 12th, 2023, 06:21 AM
Lentil Sponge's Avatar
Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge is offline
Cleaner of the Royal Butt
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 13th, 2024
RPXP: 4160
Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge
Posts: 2,142
Location Map Season Day Time Weather
Ariadne's Apartment I7 Harvest 104 of 120 1:34am Clear

The Deed Goes Undone"I think we are done here."

Ariadne's reaction to Liana's words was immediate, emotional, and not at all thought out. "You conceited..." She paused, then looked to Tarbin as if looking for support, before wheeling back to Liana with tears welling in her eyes. "You're just like Sandraminae! You think I'm only safe in that casino! Tell me, who's a bigger enemy to your "gods"? Some shiny rock, or a one-eyed violent lunatic who not only has her entire staff in debt somehow, but also killed the last-"

Before she could carry on with her rant, the door slammed open, almost flying off of the hinges. In walked Vyeggar, his eyes directly on Sliggitz. The little goblin began to panic.

"What?! What have I done?!" he asked. Then Vyeggar made his demands and his threats, all of which landed into the goblin's bellies like stones. He looked to Ariadne for help, and just found a scowl. He looked to the sell-spell for any sort of alliance, and all he got was a vile little smile.

"I'd love some revenge on the ****er who nearly killed me."

"Sh-she lives somewhere in Goblintown!" he squealed. "I am the only... was the only one who didn't! I don't know how long she'll be there, though, you just killed every reason she had to stay in the city!"

Grim's words were next, and they shattered the noise and communicated easily to everyone. Ariadne tensed - while her eyes widened, her arms went across her chest, as if trying to shield her heart. She winced a little. The adrenaline had gone entirely from her, anger replaced by terror. She had to put her faith into Grim and all of you, and while you had saved her life, you were also mostly strangers. And it was clearer that she believed you had her fate in her hands.

The sell-spell seemed to be in the same boat. There was a bitter anger in her face as she looked around the room. She seemed to be analysing each one of you in turn. Your intent? Your power? Who was to say. For a moment, her fingers started to wriggle like snakes, as if readying a spell... then they stopped.

A decision was reached. Her nostrils flared. Then she breathed out. "That does sound an awful lot like her."

With some difficulty she got to her feet and stood up. "We sell-spells don't carry money. The University holds it all, we just have receipts. Only when we get the receipts signed do we actually pay anyone."

Ariadne balked a little. "But you said..."

"I said a lot of things," the sell-spell grunted. "She promised enough gold that it was worth the risk. And now, for some reason, she won't respond to me." She looked to Grim, cold, annoyed. Then, from her robe, she drew a small piece of pink paper. On it was a set of signatures, including one he immediately recognised. Nalia Hillivi Grimzinta, clear as day. "I'm not tearing this up. Yet. She still promised a fortune. But if what you're saying is true, then I'd rather find a certain payday rather than a liar's fortune."

She put away the receipt, and sighed heavily. "Must've been really shitty growing up with her. You come to the University in three days, I'll take the Stone off of you and give you money. Just say you're from Dead Mermaid and I'll know who you are." She nodded to Big Fox. "The idiot's loud, I heard him say Tilly's name. Maybe I'll start with his dad, if he wants to know where his Void Prism went. Sounds like he didn't have a clue what it was, either."

The sell-spell tried to make her leave, hoping to avoid saying anything more than she needed to. Ariadne, slightly defeated but slightly more relieved, mouthed "Thank you," before approaching Liana. "I'm... sorry, for what I said. You guys saved my life." She had to hold onto her arm, and her fingers kneaded deep into it. "But it feels like you saved me just so I could get right back to work. Like a good little bitch."

Her eyes closed. They tried to open without gratitude, but she began to shake. "I... I nearly never saw her again... fu-****... I was a fool, wasn't I? I nearly died without saying goodbye to her..."

That's when her resolve crumbled, and her hands rushed to her face to try and catch the storm of tears that began to pour out of her. Everything was let out in one long river as she bawled her heart out. All of the stress, all of the terror, it left her in one rush of sorrow. That she was trapped. That her way out nearly killed her and left her sister without anyone. That she was angry at her saviours.

Sliggitz spent this entire exchange looking at his feet, saying nothing.

Slowly, very slowly, she regained some composure. Sniffling, she looked to Big Fox, slumped down on the table and still unconscious. "Wh-what are you doing with him? I can't - sniff - I can't keep him here."




Location Map Season Day Time Weather
The Dead Mermaid Casino J9 Harvest 104 of 120 2:00am Clear

Side-Quest Complete!
left-aligned image
The walk back from Ariadne's apartment had a very strained atmosphere about it. Ariadne was safe, though it had nearly cost you dearly, and you were also becoming just dimly aware of new threats in Julianople. New players at the table of the Lawless City's game of gangs and power. The Bigs. Nalia. What plans did they have? Could they, should they, be stopped? Did they have anything to do with Tilly's precious Chest? How did Kasturr figure into all of this?

If nothing else, you all at least had a new lead on him. Along with the Red Sunshine you procured to bribe the guards at the ambush site with, it had at least not been an unproductive day.

That's when you all turned the corner, and you saw orcs covered in blood.

Some of them were head to toe. All of them dripped. Most of them were inspecting weapons, or making idle chit-chat as if it was completely normal to hang around outside a casino covered in someone else's innards. It was a very ghoulish sight. What could have happened...

"No no no! No rubber-necking! Or you'll wish I was just punching you!"

That was Tilly's voice. She, at least, sounded normal. You spotted her close to the Dead Mermaid's Casino, arguing with someone at the door. By her side was Kara, looking bruised and bloodied, scarlet hair a mess and eyes weary yet wide from a combination of exhaustion and adrenaline. She saw you. So did Tilly.

"Oh! Brilliant! You lot! Good of you to finally show up!" she bellowed, as she usually did. She suddenly slapped Kara on the shoulder. "I hope I didn't ruin your leisurely midnight walk! I found your friend, by the way! She was tied up in a basement, on the other side of the bridge! Honestly, do I need to keep you all on dog leashes so I know where you are?!"

right-aligned image
The door cracked open. A very smug-looking elf stepped through, with only a light black shawl on her for warmth.

"It was a personal errand, Tilly! I'm guessing from your screaming that they're back!" Sandraminae had her hair loose, but it still somehow looked like she was ready for work. Maybe that's just how she looked. Her gaze travelled around the blood-soaked orcs, before back to Tilly, looking very un-bothered. "How's your boyfriend?"

Tilly's lips flattened. "Still alive."

"So it's not unrequited after all! You really do love him!"

The two had a very awkward stand-off. Lionnesses at a watering hole. Then, at the same time, they both broke into grim little smirks. Tilly smacked Sandraminae's arm hard enough to bruise, and yet both laughed meanly. Then the laughter died very quickly. "Seriously, though, what's going on?"

Sandraminae smiled. "Good question." Then she walked through the small army of orcs, each of whom kept their gaze on her as she approached you. Her eyes hardened as she reached you, stopping and folding her arms across her chest. There was a hardness, but also a little bit of concern as she asked, with a breath held in her lungs, "Is she safe?"
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old Mar 13th, 2023, 02:19 AM
CatCanCook's Avatar
CatCanCook CatCanCook is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 8th, 2024
RPXP: 8048
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
Posts: 8,974
Liana Xirkul planning a stakeout
right-aligned image
Liana addressed Ariadne with compassion. "I understand the situation is ... difficult, and painful. Many people are in various forms of debt and bondage. If I can help you, or any person of the staff who is of good-will, I will. But for my part, I cannot compromise my faith."

She did have a 'path of rescue' she could activate. As a recruiter for the Cirque, if someone showed the right talents, they could run away and join the Circus. It was an escape from time immemorial, taken by exceptionally talented youth, by dreamers, by scoundrels. But the Cirque only took in certain candidates. There was no evidence that poor Ariadne met the profile.

Liana took a moment to verify that she knew were Big Fox's lair was, his place away from his father's house and where the rendezvous with Big Coyote would occur. When that fact was clear and verified, she was good to turn back to the casino.

Liana Xirkul returning to the Casino On the walk back, she repeatedly winced in pain. She had suffered a grievous injury, which was mostly, but not completely healed, thanks to Tarkin. But, she still needed rest and could benefit from further treatment. Those fire-sticks were terrible weapons, powerful at a distance, as bad as a skilled archer's arrow.

Liana was bloodstained from being shot through the chest. She caught Sandraminae's eyes with a look almost of accusation. "She is safe, safe enough as the average person in this city for now, maybe. She wouldn't have been safe, if it wasn't for people getting the way of fast-moving bits of metal."

She was relieved to receive further healing from Tarbin's channeling.

Gazing at the wreckage of bloody murder coming back to the inn, she was sickened at heart. But the sight slowly caused her to go numb. She only stared at Sandraminae. She had to help her. She had to solve ... at least one murder -- even as more were going on and on in this sick city.

Her heart was full of words she could not speak yet.




 

 


Last edited by CatCanCook; Mar 14th, 2023 at 11:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old Mar 14th, 2023, 01:43 AM
Alatere's Avatar
Alatere Alatere is offline
Crazy Kobold
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 9775
Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere
Posts: 12,354
Tarbin Haldar
right-aligned image
”I beg your pardon Grim, I didn’t know you knew how to put an elf to sleep. Next time I’ll be sure to ask your help” Tarbin replied rather deferentially to the gnome’s objection. Slightly adjusting the weight on his shoulder the large man then continued in towards Ariadne’s home.

Tarbin shook his head as he made his way in to Ariadne’s home. ”No I have all the supplies I will need…” Tarbin began before glancing at the young woman for a moment. ”Besides sometimes faith is all you need…” the large man added before heading to the far corner of the room and laying the unconscious elf on the floor.

Tarbin then slowly made his way to the wizard. ”All that are injured gather round…” Tarbin then instructed as he pulled out a rather simple looking wooden holy symbol carved in to the shape of a woman out and held it in his hands. A soft warm light then washed over those gathered relieving their aches and pains and causing their wounds to slowly close.

Tarbin then raised an eyebrow at the revelation that the would be buyer of the void prism was none other than Grim’s little sister. The large man then frowned when it became clear that Grim was willing to sell the gem but just not to his little sister. The Void Prism was a thing of evil and had to be destroyed but Tarbin held his tongue for the moment. Now was not the time to be arguing amongst themselves.

At Ariadne’s outburst Tarbin reached out and lightly placed a hand on the young woman’s shoulder. ”Be calm Ariadne…” the large man said softly. ”We have no intention of abandoning you to your fate…” Tarbin declared as he met the young woman’s eye. ”Know that the shackles chafe us just as badly, if I have my way we shall all be free of them…” Tarbin declared with a serious look in his eyes before he gave the young woman’s shoulder one final squeeze.

Once the sell spell had left Tarbin raised a question that he had not wanted to voice while the wizard was still in earshot. ”What was the agreed price for the gem?” Tarbin asked looking first to Ariadne.

When the woman broke down Tarbin did the first thing that came naturally to him and pulled her in to a hug and somewhat awkwardly patted her back. ”You were indeed a fool… but we do foolish things for those we love…” Tarbin replied softly. ”I have done far more foolish things for those I care about…” Tarbin admitted.

Tarbin then looked at the elf and snorted. ”The biggest fool of all!” Tarbin declared with an odd combination of scorn and pitty. ”We will take him with us and let him crawl back to his father…” Tarbin declared. ”But if he ever causes you trouble again let me know…” Tarbin declared seriously.





Once it was just the five of them walking back to the casino Tarbin spoke up. ”We can not sell the gem, it is a thing of evil and must be destroyed…” the large man declared firmly. ”There are other ways to earn coin, how much is the weapon we took worth?” Tarbin then questioned.




Once the blood stained orcs and a beaten Kara were in sight Tarbin had questions of his own. ”What happened? Who had her?” Tarbin blurted out not caring that Tilly was not usually the sort to answer questions. The orcs did not look like they had been in a fight, they looked as though they had quite literally bathed in blood and apparently Tilly did not care who was able to see that they had.

When Sandraminae moved through the crowd of orcs and approached them Tarbin merely nodded at the elf’s question while he allowed Liana to do the talking.




ooc
Dice Channel energy healing:
1d6 3
(making sure Big Fox is outside of the range of the healing)


Last edited by Alatere; Mar 16th, 2023 at 04:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:30 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2024, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB